Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Guys there's this stuff in the bean aisle it's like 89 cents a pound and once cooked and run through a food processor with olive oil it makes HUMMUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
OXTAIL IS 6.50 A LB WTF

I bought a publix greenwise london broil for less. Holy balls.

By the way, london broil is fantastic marinated in italian dressing and soy sauce, then grilled rare. Get it on sale!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
6.99 A LB OXTAIL TODAY

Taking bets on how high it can rise, or if we have reached Peak Oxtail. Good glorious gently caress. For reference, neckbones and beef heart were right next to them for 1.99 a lb. Sirlon was 5 a lb.

Also need reccomendations for how to cook beef tounge, since I ordered one in on a whim.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cancled the beef tounge order. It was also 6.99 a lb. gently caress that, heart forever. Gonna head to my local meat locker guy, see what he has.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you can find it in your area and you live near the coast, bycatch might be a good option. Best to try an actual seafood monger, but this is stuff that is caught inadvertently in insufficient quantities to sell to restaurants.

The best part about living where I am. Whole Mullet for like a buck fiddy a pound. Roast that mother whole on the grill stuffed with lemon and herb, feed a family for like six bucks.

Buy it whole smoked, it's fish bacon. Best place for it and fine clams and oysters is Cedar Key in Florida on the gulf. But ask any local fish guy if they have it, it's worth the price. Mix it in cream cheese and chive or green onion, finest cracker topping in the world. Lasts a decent time in the fridge too.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 25, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm personally hoping its some invasive species so that they can just be eradicated and eaten in short order like lionfish.

Unfortunately, invasive food items sometimes become a bigger problem once popular. Like wild hog. Some people out to make a buck release a pair of pigs on their land, pigs get out of hand, there goes your ecosystem.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Jackfruit. Hmm.

quote:

When fully ripe, the unopened jackfruit emits a strong disagreeable odor, resembling that of decayed onions, while the pulp of the opened fruit smells of pineapple and banana.
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jackfruit_ars.html

HMMMM.

At least it's not Durian.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mister Macys posted:

Cheeky Meats™
Lip Smacks/Smackers™ (when heated and the gelatine melts)

Best I got. :shrug:

I want a spicy barbeque Cheeky Meat sarnie. Steak fries on the side to sop up drippings.

Wait. It should be Cheeky Meat for beef, Squeaky Meat for pork.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 17, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I love turkey! Are you kidding me? I'd eat turkey every drat day if I could. I love it so much I'm raising some at work right now for processing.

It's just that a lot of people gently caress up the holiday turkey and that's a shame. A delicious animal DIED and you're gonna overcook the poo poo out of it. Either cook it right or cremate it completely, jeeze.

Turkey eggs are also great. So big and buttery.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 7, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pandaK posted:

Your statement is the exact polar opposite of the original post which started off with people complaining over $5/lb for beef shank and ox tail.

That was more a complaint against hipsters and foodies driving up the price from where it had been at like .50/lb for what is essentially a soup and collard flavoring.

Y'all need to get in on Brussel Sprout Leaves if you can find them. Take off the stem, chop the leaves skinny and long lengthwise. Cast iron. Heat up pan, Sautee greens for a few minutes, then kill the heat, spritz with water to cool it down a little (not instant vaporization but still steam), then add a little chicken broth and soy sauce, cover pan, and walk away for 10 minutes. Put greens in bowl, drizzle with sesame seed oil. Eat with chopsticks like noodles. Savory and nutty with a touch of sweet, chock full of vitamins.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Alternatively, cut them in quarters and brown them in a pan with butter, diced onions and bacon.

I'd probably cut them a bit smaller than quarters, as the leaves are nearly the surface area as a sheet of printer paper.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nonono, the Brussel Sprout LEAVES.

(bonnie plants container brussels)

They're bigger than your face and twice as delish. Cheap to free if you know a farmer who will give you them, and I dont even think most people know the mutant weirdness of what a brussel sprout plant really looks like.

(mass market brussels)

Sprouts are cheap and underappreciated though.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

:chanpop:

I never knew this was a thing and I'm from Belgium

GET ON THE BRUSSEL LEAF TRAIN BEFORE THE BANDWAGON ROLLS IN

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

They might be my favorite vegetables, aside from collard greens cooked with smoked meat (which I've never actually made myself).

You can cook the B.leaves like collards too, if you like.

Ooh. B.Leaves. That's a great nickname for them.

• Locked thread