Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Matthew Beet posted:

Tithin and Gaspy can confirm that I called out gaspy as scum day 1.

Tithin whatever is said about the balance, and that was my concern, it was still an entertaining clusterfuck to read. I was sitting on the the sidelines getting so angry about town not wanting to test the cops investigation and subsequently lynching Tirade. That was hilarious.

I ultimately suspected mills from there, and possibly milky too because he was arguing for the wrong poo poo.

I never would have picked Kat or gwyn though.

Yeah Beet called Gaspy as scum after about an hour or something.

My response to the masonry ignoring the investigations was just :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

tithin posted:

Yeah Beet called Gaspy as scum after about an hour or something.

My response to the masonry ignoring the investigations was just :what:

We didn't Ignore them, we queued them up for night kill.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Tirade did literally everything wrong when he was accused. I was convinced he was scum based off his reaction.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Splode posted:

Tirade did literally everything wrong when he was accused. I was convinced he was scum based off his reaction.

I'm still fairly new to mafia so I'm down with any advice you guys have - what should have I been doing beyond arguing for lynching the mason's choice?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Exactly.

Never ever vote for yourself. It's a dumb gambit that might be suitable if you have a power role but, if that's the case, why not just claim?

See, one, the town should always be playing to win and knowingly lynching a town is counter-productive to that (unless they can, say, check a cop's sanity through the lynch). Two, it prevents the town from getting more information from when certain people decided to get on the train. Three, the lynch might never actually happen and, if you're town, a no-lynch is better than getting lynched. You might get stuck at Lynch-1. The moment you start getting belligerent and self-destructive, people will lynch you simply because they don't want to deal with it - which, really, is a big part of the reason why I didn't change my vote.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Relax! Your argument was exactly what scum in your position would pick: 'don't lynch me, lynch the guy who flipped scum!' Because it's a good, reasonable and safe argument. But you got really panicked, which looks suspicious as hell, and you didn't actually address the framer theory and why it was a stretch. The fact that gaspy didn't panic and you did was what made all the difference.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Splode posted:

Relax! Your argument was exactly what scum in your position would pick: 'don't lynch me, lynch the guy who flipped scum!' Because it's a good, reasonable and safe argument. But you got really panicked, which looks suspicious as hell, and you didn't actually address the framer theory and why it was a stretch. The fact that gaspy didn't panic and you did was what made all the difference.

I was just about to post this. It's a good argument but it didn't do anything to make me change my thoughts from 'No, Gaspy was framed, there's a path of logic there'. Funnily enough, there was a framer - but it was Gaspy.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

I'm still fairly new to mafia so I'm down with any advice you guys have - what should have I been doing beyond arguing for lynching the mason's choice?

Not have a town who agrees to ignore the day 2 cop role claim.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Milky Moor posted:

I was just about to post this. It's a good argument but it didn't do anything to make me change my thoughts from 'No, Gaspy was framed, there's a path of logic there'. Funnily enough, there was a framer - but it was Gaspy.

Hence Gaspy saying "is there some broken role that switches your alignment?" and letting town do the work for him.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Splode posted:

Fair call, I was just utterly bewildered that voting with the cop was considered a scum move. The framer argument was a complete arse pluck and I was shocked that anyone took it seriously. Appealing to Mills who would know how unlikely it was and getting nothing was really surprising as well, it got me questioning my own logic rather than considering that Mills was scum. I'll chill out a bit in later games

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

Not have a town who agrees to ignore the day 2 cop role claim.

Come off it, the town doesn't know the cop is 100% infallible, especially in a set up with poisoners, Masonry cops, bulletproof PGO vigilantes and such running about.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Splode posted:

Nah I don't know think Tirade looked panicked, he looks exasperated at the fact that all of town must have suffered a mass head injury and decided to ignore a cop role claim scum flip.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

Come off it,the town doesn't know the cop is 100% infallible, especially in a set up with poisoners, Masonry cops, bulletproof PGO vigilantes and such running about.

That's why you have to test the cops claim! Not testing the claim and going off elsewhere, why even bother having cops then?

The whole point of investigations were made pointless the minute it decided that more exotic options were more likely than the simple one.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

Hah don't try rewriting history, your path of logic was wrong and sucked. I'm certain there was nothing that would have changed your thoughts about it. You showing no inclination to even consider my argument, and calling bif scum for finally coming around, was what finally broke me. After I posted about three or four reasons why lynching Kat was better than lynching me and you said "Tirade if you're town you might be most useful in death", I knew it wasn't worth arguing further 'cause you weren't actually reading a thing I wrote.

Mith, I actually had a class on for a few hours after I self-voted. I would have unvoted if I'd seen your message but at that stage the vote count was like 5-2 between me and Kat, and I was completely exhausted. As I said above, I'll chill out a bit next game.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

That's why you have to test the cops claim! Not testing the claim and going off elsewhere, why even bother having cops then?

The whole point of investigations were made pointless the minute it decided that more exotic options were more likely than the simple one.

That was what got me. Sure, there could be a framer in the game, or a bus driver, etc. etc. But the chances that they'd actually be present and target gaspy on a given night are really really small, even in a role madness game.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

We had to keep going to the same well to draw water with "these townie roles are so loving overpowered and broken so surely scum have some way to counter it; there must be a framer, etc".

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I bought into the framer idea cause I knew we either had boosted investigative powers, or the one that wasn't me might be suss.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah it's not unreasonable to think there is something countering a confirmed town masonry with both night and day investigations as well as a super cop/rolecop/watcher.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Tirade posted:

Hah don't try rewriting history, your path of logic was wrong and sucked. I'm certain there was nothing that would have changed your thoughts about it. You showing no inclination to even consider my argument, and calling bif scum for finally coming around, was what finally broke me. After I posted about three or four reasons why lynching Kat was better than lynching me and you said "Tirade if you're town you might be most useful in death", I knew it wasn't worth arguing further 'cause you weren't actually reading a thing I wrote.

Mith, I actually had a class on for a few hours after I self-voted. I would have unvoted if I'd seen your message but at that stage the vote count was like 5-2 between me and Kat, and I was completely exhausted. As I said above, I'll chill out a bit next game.

This.

With mills being mills and milky being milky it was easier to just kill off the scum during the night. The masonry couldn't get control of the narrative with those two going off.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Also re reading it I have no idea why Bif was flipped when she didn't die?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I dunno maybe I got a different perspective from being outside the game and picking gaspy as scum before cop revral . From there everything looked decidedly dumb from out here.

FYI In future games if anyone suggests not testing the cops data I'll be voting for them. :getin:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Plotterboy posted:

This.

With mills being mills and milky being milky it was easier to just kill off the scum during the night. The masonry couldn't get control of the narrative with those two going off.

Yeah Masonry did well to just get on with it.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

The one thing Tirade and ODC did poorly was lurk. When they did show up, there was no content. ODC would make snippy remarks about not much at all. Tirade would just self-combust and refuse to do anything constructive. If you play like this, you are easy to get lynched. The former will usually flip scum too; I would not have been surprised to see ODC flip as another faction.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

FYI In future games if anyone suggests not lynching Gaspy I'll be voting for them. :getin:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Asphyxious posted:

Also re reading it I have no idea why Bif was flipped when she didn't die?

Also a mistake.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, I suck.

I'd written the flavour for the death when i got panicked "FUCKEN WAIT FOR MITH" messages, and I ended up just tagging some bullshit about being pardoned and posting it, forgetting that the flip shouldn't have happened.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

We love you tithin.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

I dunno maybe I got a different perspective from being outside the game

Well, yeah, definitely. My own role was a big player in why I didn't believe the cop's result was accurate.

Frankly, if I was alive Day 3, I would have argued for a mass claim since the Masonry seemed to be all the power roles, could reasonably vouch for each other, and that'd mean we could just pick from the 'vanilla townies'.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mills posted:

We love you tithin.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tirade posted:

Hah don't try rewriting history, your path of logic was wrong and sucked.

No, my logic was right (go back and check, I laid my reasoning out plain and clear). But it was based off incorrect assumptions - primarily, that there had to be something that'd balance a mason cop with the ability to privately have other confirmed masons targeting the ones he investigates without alerting anyone else.

I was pretty surprised to see that the scum didn't have a strongman either.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

Yeah, I suck.

I'd written the flavour for the death when i got panicked "FUCKEN WAIT FOR MITH" messages, and I ended up just tagging some bullshit about being pardoned and posting it, forgetting that the flip shouldn't have happened.

I've never wanted to run a game but if you decide to run one again I'm happy to volunteer to help co-run it. You can have naming and first billing rights.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mills posted:

The one thing Tirade and ODC did poorly was lurk. When they did show up, there was no content. ODC would make snippy remarks about not much at all. Tirade would just self-combust and refuse to do anything constructive. If you play like this, you are easy to get lynched. The former will usually flip scum too; I would not have been surprised to see ODC flip as another faction.

Yeah, most of my lurking was because I was actually out of the house. By the time I got back, you had used my quietness as the basis of an argument, and a lot of people considered it rational.

What I should have done was take Coq's role as the voice of the collective. I had the least useful role in the Masonry, so if they targeted me, nbd.

What I did instead was play quietly, because it put Mills in a position to not build his argument.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Tirade posted:

:allears:

I can tell you have a long future of getting lynched ahead of you.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Yeah, most of my lurking was because I was actually out of the house. By the time I got back, you had used my quietness as the basis of an argument, and a lot of people considered it rational.

What I should have done was take Coq's role as the voice of the collective. I had the least useful role in the Masonry, so if they targeted me, nbd.

What I did instead was play quietly, because it put Mills in a position to not build his argument.

Nah I would've gone for the Coq kill anyway. My kills are crimes of passion.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
I feel like there are multiple games I would want to run of ascending difficulty, and of various themes.

Sealab 2021, Arkham Asylum, Silent Hill.

Still need more practice I think.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gwynplaine posted:

I feel like there are multiple games I would want to run of ascending difficulty, and of various themes.

Sealab 2021, Arkham Asylum, Silent Hill.

Still need more practice I think.

is this mafia fchat? oh this is the mafia thread.

bananas.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SH themed mafia :gonk:

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
It'll be fiiiine, Tith.
Trust we.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

tithin posted:

SH themed mafia :gonk:

Scum? They look like scum to you...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I was thinking of a SH themed one but couldn't get a handle on it. The main idea for a theme I've been pondering is a TISM Eurovision one.

• Locked thread