Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It kind of is. Just look at one Senator Armstrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Did you know that the yud has a Twitter and worm opinions

https://twitter.com/ESYudkowsky/status/1170022426891018240?s=20

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

a worm fanfic from yud would be absolute peak rationalism

don't make me want such a terrible, terrible thing

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There's this, I guess? More Rand than Yud, but I think some of his works touch upon purestrain Rationality.

I know there's an overlap between the Sneer Club and Worm fanfic authors, maybe they can sneer so hard Yudkowsky decides he has to show them how it's done.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay, trying to follow that line of reasoning actually made my head hurt

edit: does he just not know what "empirical" means?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Now, give thanks to the person who compiled those threads into ebook format, causing the author to abandon the third book in the series before it began.

What's the story there?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stroth posted:

Okay, trying to follow that line of reasoning actually made my head hurt

edit: does he just not know what "empirical" means?

His favoured approaches to science seems to involve secret cults or smart people sitting around throwing out ideas without testing them.

So either he doesn't really understand it or he doesn't actually appreciate it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Tiggum posted:

What's the story there?
That's about it. He said that having an ebook format floating around the internet meant no publisher would want to publish the books, so he abandoned the series.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That's about it. He said that having an ebook format floating around the internet meant no publisher would want to publish the books, so he abandoned the series.

I don't think that's true even if he believes it. He could always try doing a Kickstarter. I mean, as I understand it Cassandra Clark turned her weird Draco Malfoy fanfic into a hugely popular book series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not sure how having it in ebook format would be any worse than already having it published for free on the internet for years not anyway.

Also, that didn't stop John Dies At The End to get published on paper eventually, so it's spurious reasoning either way.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think the idea was he could take the thread down or delete the posts but a torrent of an ebook version meant no-one would buy it, and this was before kickstarter IIRC, and also he was an internet weirdo talking to some dubious publishers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cardiovorax posted:

Not sure how having it in ebook format would be any worse than already having it published for free on the internet for years not anyway.

Also, that didn't stop John Dies At The End to get published on paper eventually, so it's spurious reasoning either way.

Hell, JDatE got published twice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, I get where the guy might get the idea, it just doesn't seem like the fear is warranted.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://mobile.twitter.com/shenanigansen/status/1171180157916319744

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I went to the top of the thread to try to read some of Rationality and learned the author hopes to build "friendly AI." From the work it seems unlikely he'll ever achieve friendly AI. Conditionally benevolent (if sneeringly superior) AI, maybe, but friendly AI is likely beyond him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Necrotizer F posted:

I went to the top of the thread to try to read some of Rationality and learned the author hopes to build "friendly AI." From the work it seems unlikely he'll ever achieve friendly AI. Conditionally benevolent (if sneeringly superior) AI, maybe, but friendly AI is likely beyond him.

Yud knows as much about the actual, practical process of of creating an AI as he does about the contents of the Harry Potter books. Which is to say someone talked about it once near him, so he's convinced he's an expert now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which wouldn't be so bad, if idiot Silicon Valley weren't giving him annoying amounts of money for his incompetence, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cardiovorax posted:

Which wouldn't be so bad, if idiot Silicon Valley weren't giving him annoying amounts of money for his incompetence, too.

Their incompetence dovetails with his, making that relationship inevitable.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Necrotizer F posted:

Do we really want AI that's friends with Yud?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Math Pet AI

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
at least it'll always do what you tell it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Necrotizer F posted:

A GiveWell Director very politely ripping into the Singularity Institute was fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

The argument advanced by SI for why the work it's doing is beneficial and important seems both wrong and poorly argued to me. My sense at the moment is that the arguments SI is making would, if accepted, increase rather than decrease the risk of an AI-related catastrophe
Translation: gently caress you, you maladjusted ultranerds.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

It’s been a while since I’ve read “lol” in long form.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Epstein too

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
so can we do Red Tidday Up White Tidday Down now, or maybe Dark Lord's Answer, or

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

divabot posted:

so can we do Red Tidday Up White Tidday Down now, or maybe Dark Lord's Answer, or

Who's "we"? You can certainly start those threads if you want to. I'll read them. The threads, that is. I'm not volunteering to take on another one of these... texts.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone feels like compiling the whole... thing... and reposting it somewhere as a coherent whole?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xander77 posted:

Anyone feels like compiling the whole... thing... and reposting it somewhere as a coherent whole?

http://www.hpmor.com/

It's in discrete chapters on the above site.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Everyone posted:

http://www.hpmor.com/

It's in discrete chapters on the above site.
lol

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I stumbled across su3su2u1's review on someone's blog:
https://danluu.com/su3su2u1/hpmor/

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Grace Baiting posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I stumbled across su3su2u1's review on someone's blog:
https://danluu.com/su3su2u1/hpmor/

quote:

I used to teach undergraduates, and I would often have some enterprising college freshman (who coincidentally was not doing well in basic mechanics) approach me to talk about why string theory was wrong. It always felt like talking to a physics madlibs book. This chapter let me relive those awkward moments.

Sorry to belabor this point so much, but I think it sums up an issue that crops up from time to time in Yudkowsky’s writing, when dabbling in a subject he doesn’t have much grounding in, he ends up giving actual subject matter experts a headache.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a fun thing to read (HP fic or even original fiction) if I enjoyed the cop's side plot in Harry Potter and the Natural 20? It finally updated twice last year with the promise of more but then it just left me hanging again...

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
some brave soul has started a livetweet of HPMOR. Start here for her incredible journey.

the reader realises what she's let herself in for, and she's still in the good bit:

https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1279339412938088448

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

divabot posted:

the reader realises what she's let herself in for

I don't know if you noticed, but the first tweet in that thread says "i'm going to reread HPMOR". She's already read it at least once. :stare:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've read it five times. It's one of the most culturally important works of the 21st century.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Look outside at how this century is going so far if you feel there's some mismatch

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Daikloktos posted:

I've read it five times. It's one of the most culturally important works of the 21st century.

This is one of the most depressing things I've read in my life, thanks.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Daikloktos posted:

I assume you've read the other seminal work, Homestuck?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Daikloktos posted:

How does it feel to be so loving stunted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

WilliamAnderson posted:

I assume you've read the other seminal work, Homestuck?
I actually didn't embark on that one until a year ago. I kind of kick myself for not getting in nearer the ground floor, at least when I kept seeing all these weird vibrating avatars around at its height. Kind of jealous of anyone who did and can speak fluently to its impact.

Continuity RCP posted:

How does it feel to be so loving stunted
And here I thought that doublepost ruined the punch of the initial... but it does actually make me feel less alienated by how easily stunted people I've known turned out, to keep tabs on this community. To me the saddest fans aren't the ones completely down with Eliezer's philosophies and fantasizing about uploading their consciousness to cyber-Equestria, but the ones who catch the more overt absurdities in HPMOR without engaging with the fundamental problems in "rationalizing fiction". This is a pretty good thread because as much as it hits the easy dunks it doesn't ignore how deep you can trace the rot.