Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JosephWongKS posted:

That’s more self-awareness than I’d expected from Eliezer Eliezarry. But on the other hand, doesn’t his prodigious reading qualify as “hard work”?
Not in the same way that doing experiments and testing ideas is.

Eliezer Eliezarry's approach is ultimately (and possibly surprisingly) rather unscientific; he rarely actually tries things out, instead preferring to guess and speculate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

If this is “non-canonical” in relation to HPMOR, this means that in the “main” HPMOR story, Quirrell isn’t a servant of Voldemort or at the least isn’t carrying Voldemort around on his head. Is this the “big secret” of the story?
Technically HPMOR-Quirrell isn't a servant of Voldemort or carrying him around on his head, because he IS Voldemort

Also get used to omakes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pavlov posted:

I mostly skipped over these 'chapters', but there was exactly one of the omake things I legitimately liked. It was a spoof on Harriezer as Neo in The Matrix, right after the red pill scene, and went kind of like:

"What! Humans would be a horrible power source! Don't these machines even know the basic laws of physics?"
"And where did you learn about physics Neo?"
"In... the Matrix. gently caress."

Also I'm pretty sure these were all written by other people and Yud just stuck them in somewhere.

Yeah, that was a straight up good joke.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh. So he's a weeaboo in addition to everything else.

Dear god yes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I have to admit, Comed-tea is actually a pretty good idea and fits right in with what this story could / should be.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

su3su2u1 posted:

Bad news then- instead of Harry figuring out how it works by trial and error/science, he'll think real hard, assume the conclusion he came to is correct, and then the story will literally never mention it again.

Yeah, I know. Introducing it is one of the early things that makes you think he's going to do the "Harry Potter meets science" thing that people describe it as, but nooooope.

Also I liked the reviews you did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think Harry being a copy of Voldemorte's consciousness is heavily foreshadowed, it's just done ineptly and so comes across as bad writing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

Is this actually true? Several paragraphs in the next couple chapters were copy-pasted pretty much verbatim out of the first book. Did he just read the wiki to get the general plot/character names, and then flip to random pages to copy material or what?

Big Yud posted:

[I r]ead the first 3 books, watched the next 5 movies, checked the wiki often, and most importantly, read at least a hundred other Harry Potter fanfictions. I know off the top of my head who Fleur Delacour's little sister is, in fact I've read a whole book about her bonding to Harry Potter's ghost after he dies in the Second Task of the Triwizard tournament.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Utgardaloki posted:

Ugh. The whole appeal of this kind of thing in a story is seeing if you can catch on tot he mystery as fast as the protagonist. It's the same formula that made Sherlock Holmes popular.
Sherlock Holmes stores are frequently impossible for the reader to figure out, because essential clues are often left out. Doyle did write fair-play mysteries but it's not the defining feature of his work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NeoAnjou posted:

Have we reached the slowest pace yet, or does it drag more than this later? I'm not sure I've enjoyed anything since Harry woke up.

Hahahahahahahaha

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

At least here you can see bits where he's poking fun at the original books. Harry and co do win a lot of points for the House Cup because of their Voldemort-related activities, and Hogwarts does give out a time travel device to kids on a very flimsy justification.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

divabot posted:

Are you insinuating HPMOR is part of sneer culture??
Hahaha, that's in response to a response to su3su2u1's readthrough I think?

When I've heard people talk (in real life) about HPMoR it's usually been something about liking the bits that poke fun at the silly bits in the original series. And if it stuck to that it'd be pretty unremarkable, it's just that it doesn't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Seems like Eliezarry is a believer in the “Great Person” theory of history. Has Eliezer expressed his belief in this theory in his other writings?
I think the entirety of his writing is based on the belief that he is a Great Person.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 29, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Neoreactionaries view progressive thought/culture as being a restrictive organisation like the medieval Catholic Church.

Don't ask how this meshes with their desire to return to a pre-Enlightenment age.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

She's one of the basilisk victims in Chamber of Secrets in the books too, and gets mentioned now and again. There are a shitload of minor Hogwarts characters, with varying degrees of characterisation and backstory.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Replace Quirrel with Yud and the killing curse with a time-turner and you've essentially got a description of how MoR.

Night10194 posted:

Doesn't the actual Killing Curse have some enormous requirement to it and constitute an incredible moral transgression to even consider using? It's been a long time since I read the books, but I recall a lot of the forbidden spells being forbidden with good reason and nothing to rely on unless you were a really practiced Death Eater and a huge son of a bitch.

The heroes use Imperio (body control / puppetering) a few times by the end of the series. It's mostly a sign that things have gotten serious, and that they're willing to cross lines they previously wouldn't have.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

It seems like Eliezarry wants to write a fanfic of Ender’s Game in addition to Harry Potter.
The Pacific Ocean seems wet too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Don’t all spells in Harry Potter have Latin names and Latin incantations? “Ma-ha-su” doesn’t sound like Latin to me.
Definitely not; Avada Kedavra is one really obvious counter-example.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palisader posted:

I know this is from several pages back, but during that whole transmogrification lesson, did Harry never think to question how his motheraunt was permanently transformed into a hot woman? Does that ever come up again?

Hermione uses magic to improve her teeth in the actual books, so it's probably just like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Yeah, that is a pretty memorable name. I recall that Blaise’s gender wasn’t mentioned in the earlier books, and some Harry Potter readers thought Blaise was a girl and were upset when it was revealed that Blaise was a boy in the later books. Or was it the other way around?
Apparently Blaise Zabini being "revealed" to be a (black) boy instead of a girl was a bit of a surprise in fandom. It's worth remembering that Yud's exposure to the series comes more through fanfic than through the actual books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's no rule, but wizard society is generally depicted as being unaware of lots of aspects of muggle culture. Things like rubber ducks and soccer are foreign to lots of them.

Yud's clunky referencing aside it's not out of character for Dumbledore to have more of an idea than most wizards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Side note, but what about Crabb and Goyle? Clearly they're not all that clever and probably not too ambitious- do they value those traits though (in other people)? Or did they beg for Slytherin due to the pure-blood association and the hat caved when they might have been better suited for another house?
What other house would they be suited for?

As an aside, Dumbledore should have been in Slytherin, for both in-universe (he was exactly the type when he was young) and metatextual reasons (Slytherin not being Evil House).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

Holy gently caress how does this man keep missing the point of the books so goddamned hard?

Because he doesn't like them.

Yud posted:

[I r]ead the first 3 books, watched the next 5 movies, checked the wiki often, and most importantly, read at least a hundred other Harry Potter fanfictions. I know off the top of my head who Fleur Delacour's little sister is, in fact I've read a whole book about her bonding to Harry Potter's ghost after he dies in the Second Task of the Triwizard tournament.

quote:

Why didn't you read the rest if I may ask? You clearly like the universe; are you bothered with JKR's writing style, or is there some other obstacle?

quote:

I'm curious too. I mean, reading them would provide absolutely no surprises or new information at this point, but still.
That's already a sufficient answer, to some degree; but the main problem was that after Book 3 I read enough Harry Potter fanfiction that my brain started to think of the Potterverse as a grownup place and when I went back to Book 4, it felt too young.
He wrote this not because he likes Harry Potter, but because he likes Harry Potter fan-fic and thought it would be a good way to reach a wide audience.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

blastron posted:

I don't buy that he was foreshadowing from the very first chapter. It really feels to me like he started the fiction out as some sort of "lol look how dumb the HP universe is, let's unravel its illogic" thing, and then when it took off he started to put some more effort into it. He probably did sit down at some point and figure out the actual details of the setting, but this wasn't at chapter one and it definitely involved the back-justification of earlier chapters. That bit at the end where Voldemort asks Harry if anyone thought a REAL 11-year old would act like he did at the start of the fic was such an obvious and obnoxious retcon to address the story's earlier faults that you really must start to question what other dumb things that made sense later were truly designed to make sense from the beginning.

The twist that Quirrell isn't just a host for Voldemort, but is Voldemort was planned from a very early point, since it was mentioned in an early author's note (that was since amended). Harry being an actual copy of Voldemort, rather than a Horcrux doesn't feel like a retcon either to me; like the previous example it's an instance of Yud's tendency to take things UP TO ELEVEN because it's the only way he knows how to write.

Also there's nothing wrong with open-ended foreshadowing / mining previously written stuff for setup. Breaking Bad is a famous example of the writers throwing in poo poo they had no idea how to resolve.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

"Rationalism" is a horrible, horrible misnomer.

Rationalism is to rationality what Scientology is to science.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

The play is somehow worse than this. How the gently caress, Jo

The play seems indistinguishable from bad fanfic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There have been preview screenings, so people aren't just going by the script. It's getting a pretty good response too, so maybe it works better on stage than it does on paper.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The summary I read said the time turner was a special prototype.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Given Yud's attitude towards schooling and teachers, he must be intending for Harry to be sympathetic here. Which just makes it more impressive that he failed at that entirely and made Harry a spoiled brat instead.

I mean, seriously.
Some of the appeal of the fic outside the LW crowd is the idea of a rational (as opposed to Rational) person interacting with the magic world. In canon Snape is a horrible bully and Dumbledore is neglectful headmaster, and seeing someone call them out could potentially be fun if the writer wasn't bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Her power is bug control in the same way that Magneto's is the ability to bend spoons.

Cavelcade posted:

He appeals to some smart people by giving them an internal justification for feeling superior to those around them. He's also pretty good at arguing a point if you don't know much about the subject matter. And from there it's a cult - sorry, phyg - of personality where people talk about the intellectual biases of others while ignoring the way they commit them themselves. It's not particularly interesting, but it is pretty funny.

Edit: To be fair, calling it a cult might be slightly unfair. It has cultlike attributes but I don't think that straightup makes it a cult.

It's a phyg :downs:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dienes posted:

Its literally controlling bugs in a 6-block radius for 90% of the novel.

And the scale and degree of control is what makes it powerful, same as Magneto. The actual story never makes her seems as underpowered or outmatched as some of the fans do.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

I have no idea why Slytherin forging the security system the Marauder's Map is based on is something that Yud felt necessary to include, or why he had to change it at all. Very strange.
Either it was in a fanfic he liked or it's a part of the idea that magic can be lost because of the Interdict of Merlin, I'd guess.

quote:

Read again - I corrected my foolish mistake of calling Less Wrong a cult, when it is of course a phyg.

Oops.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yud posted:

(Professor Quirrell had remarked over their lunch that Harry really needed to conceal his state of mind better than putting on a blank face when someone discussed a dangerous topic, and had explained about one-level deceptions, two-level deceptions, and so on. So either Severus was in fact modeling Harry as a one-level player, which made Severus himself two-level, and Harry's three-level move had been successful; or Severus was a four-level player and wanted Harry to think the deception had been successful. Harry, smiling, had asked Professor Quirrell what level he played at, and Professor Quirrell, also smiling, had responded, One level higher than you.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkBuKQEkio

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I know fanfic is by definition allowed to change elements of canon but it's worth pointing out that Transfiguration in HPMOR works nothing like it does in the books / movies (including Partial Transfiguration being a thing that happens multiple times).

Night10194 posted:

Yud really, really wants this to be true and so writes a fictional world where it is, I think.

And he latched onto Harry Potter despite having beliefs which are fundamentally at odds with the main moral of the series and despite not reading half the series. He's not a Harry Potter fan, he's a Harry Potter fanfic fan.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 12, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Poor thread, getting abandoned over and over.
Almost like the Reader of the Darks Arts position is cursed :tinfoil:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Yudkowsky hating Quidditch and wanting to "fix" it is just another example of him not understanding why Rowling made the decisions she did and thinking he knows better.
She did create it after an argument with her (sports-loving) boyfriend at the time.

It's clearly a parody of sports with arbitrary or silly rules, taken to an extreme because wizard society loves complexity and arcana. So Yud missed the practical purpose (to give the hero something to do in a match) and the point of the joke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Are they dead, though? They're never mentioned at all in the series really, beyond that they were Muggles, and I always figured they just were too old to take Harry on when Petunia could instead.

Rowling confirmed that they're dead in webchats around the time Half-Blood Prince came out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Death Bot posted:

I mean I know this is nothing new but it is constantly surprising to me the amount of work put into this even though the author hasn't read the books, doesn't know much about them, doesn't understand and even doesn't agree with the morals put forward, and on top of that doesn't seem to particularly like the setting or the characters at all?
He likes Harry Potter fanfic, not Harry Potter itself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with a theme of a series, and in fact I would consider "fanfiction as a way to explore your philosophical disagreement with a theme of a series" about as literary as fanfiction can get. Big Yud is clearly bad at it but all this "heh clearly he doesn't GET the series :smug:" is dumb as gently caress.

He didn't bother to read the final 4 books before starting to write the series (and instead relied on the movies and fanfic), I think it's safe to mock him for not getting it.

E:

Troper Yud posted:

So... that line about Did Not Do The Research hurts a bit. I tried to read the later books after Prisoner Of Azkaban, I just couldn't make my brain to it. The problem might have been that I already knew the plot from having read fanfiction and seen the movie, and that took out the tension. Or it could just be that the series lost whatever mysterious factor made it fun for me personally to read before then. The point is, I tried to read it, and when I couldn't, I read the Harry Potter Wikia and did the research as best I could. I admit that I made a mistake with Snape, and now that I know what it was, and look back at the Wikia entry on him, I don't even know how I got the impression that Snape was Lily's boyfriend... but I did read it and managed to keep the misapprehension anyway. If there's some kind of appropriate trope for that sort of dumb screwup, I guess I deserve it...

But the Did Not Do The Research trope, according to its main page, is for people who could have easily known better and didn't even try to read the manual because they just disrespected the subject matter. And that is seriously not me, and the current page gives the impression that I disrespect the Potterverse too much to bother doing the research, which is seriously not true.

Although it might be illuminating to realize that I'm writing this fic in the Potterverse, not so much because I adored the original books, but because I liked reading Harry Potter fanfiction. That might be the other reason I couldn't read further than Prisoner of Azkaban; I'd read those three books before encountering any fanfiction, but after that, my brain started comparing the children's-book Harry to all the fanfiction for grownups I'd read. With that said, I immensely respect the fact that J. K. Rowling got literally millions of children interested in reading. Writing children's books is a totally different task from writing for grownups. I can't write children's books. And unless this fic turns on millions of adults to rationality, it won't ever be comparable to the real-world literary accomplishment represented by Rowling's Harry Potter. But nonetheless, what I personally ended up enjoying was the universe of Harry Potter fanfiction that came afterward.

(And the reason my big screwup was with respect to revelations made in Deathly Hallows was that a lot of the fanfiction I read was written before then.)

Deathly Hallow is too childish for me to enjoy, now watch me write a million word long Ender's Game / Harry Potter mashup.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 11, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yud loves cults with secret knowledge, it's hard not to see the influence of that here.

NihilCredo posted:

Quirrell mentioned before that the Order of the Phoenix has a secret trick where they can use corporeal Patroni to send messages that cannot be intercepted or forged. (I think it's from the books?)
Yeah, it's done a few times, especially in book 7 (eg Kingsley warning the wedding, and Snape leading Ron and Harry to the sword).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dumbledore should have been in Slytherin.