Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pvt.Scott posted:

International finance is actually how muggles use magic.

And on that note, shame on Harry for not buying CDS from all the major wizarding businesses and institutions before crashing the wizarding economy.

Seriously international finance is loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh I was waiting for this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

divabot posted:

And Worm, unlike HPMOR, is written by a writer with a plot and characters. And, ahahaha, the author hangs out at the Dark Lord Potter forums and IRC, which I'm sure delights Mr Yudkowsky.

Hah yeah everyone there loathes HPMOR. Less so for the crazy rationalism and more because it's a terrible story. The thread they have on him is hilarious.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

what the poo poo

Not emptyquoting

Because holy gently caress that is insane.

Also props to whoever recommended the arithmancer. It's actually not terrible!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think at one point in the movies Harry fires it off and misses, but this happens immediately after the murder of his godfather and surrogate parent so I don't think anyone held it against him, if they saw him.

nah he fired off the torture curse, which is even worse

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cingulate posted:

The scene reads like an attempt to look into the mind of a future school shooter.
No, it's a bullyish stereotype joke and not funny.

nah

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lynneth posted:

Been watching this thread for a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed The Arithmancer when it was recommended. The accidental Animagus by the same author is good too. Is there any other quality fan-fiction similar to those?

On MoR, I read it to about chapter... 60, I think? When I got fed up with where the story was going, and lost hope that it would improve anytime soon.

Oooh boy. In no particular order:

Circular Reasoning by Swimdraconian and Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor are two of my favourites and probably two of the best written fanfics I've ever read, Renegade Cause especially. They are not, however, remotely similar in tone to the Arithmancer. Renegade Cause is intricately plotted, filled with subtlety, some politics, and good action, and a suitably independent Harry who doesn't fall into all the standard cliches. If you want quality fanfiction, look no further because this is the gold standard.

Circular Reasoning takes the 'peggy sue' concept (go back in time to fix it all!) and turns it right on its head. Starts out with a fantastic, 20,000 word depiction of a truly post-apocalyptic hellscape, so if you like post apocalyptic works you'll get your dose there. Then we return to the modern world and see the wizarding underworld in all its glory. Probably some of the best written action I've ever read.

Starnlicht is also fantastic, with a very unique setting: wizarding Britain in 1590. All original characters of course, but it's really really good, complete, and fairly short as well. Stars Judith Fairweather and Rebecca Gryffindor, who are both really well done for original characters. Has romance, some comedy, plenty of drama, what more could you want? I really like this one.

Besides those three favourites, Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived is a classic, the premise being that Harry isn't the Boy Who Lived, and transfers to Durmstrang. If you like smart protagonists this is for you. Despite the kinda silly summary it's actually excellent, if incomplete. It was updated on the DarkLordPotter forums fairly recently if I recall.

Midnight Blues is a post Hogwarts fic starring Harry and Ron as dark wizard hunters contracted to the Ministry. Absolutely hilarious, though not a comedy. Almost Bond-like in its sense of adventure, though it's a bit too funny for it to really be a spiritual successor. It's not comedy, nor is it even light-hearted, but there's plenty of banter and witticisms. Highly recommended.

Hogwarts Battle School obviously draws heavy inspiration from Enders Game and some later parts of MoR, without Orson Scott Card's homophobia and without Eliezer's insanity. Well written (which goes without saying for this list really), if you can suspend your disbelief a tad. Check it out, see if you like it. If you like action and politics, this fic has both in spades.

For something fairly similar in structure to the Arithmancer, Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity takes place in wizarding America with a completely new cast. Truly incredible worldbuilding, good characterization, and best of all 4/7 books are already completed. I really like this one as well, but it's pretty different from the standard fare.

On the subject of things different from the standard fare, Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time is a truly epic in scale adventure with a rather sisyphean protagonist. Very much a classic, very action-adventure-y, and is a wild ride from start to finish. A bit rough in patches, rather reminiscent of The Edge of Tomorrow (though it predates the movie), but it's a lot of fun and you don't get more, well, epic in scale than this.

For a dash of horror, look no further than Deathly Hallowed. The premise is that Lily Potter dabbled in magic she shouldn't, and it gets pretty freaky. In the words of the author:

quote:

The Tale of Three Brothers was not a legend. It was a warning. No one cheats Death. And luckily for Lily Potter, the promise of the Cloak's return in exchange for her son's life was a fair deal. Stare into the abyss, Harry Potter, and we will see who blinks first.

quote:

This story is a psuedo Cthulu-mythos cross with the premise that Lily figures out what James' Cloak is before Dumbledore does, and makes a deal with eldritch abomination Death in order to break the prophecy. The problem is, the method she used to call Death has long lasting consequences and isn't restricted to calling just Death over.

Check out the first chapter and see if you like the tone. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for quite some time, but it's creepy and scary and fascinating in all the right ways.

For some other works that are also good:

Applied Cultural Anthropology takes the less absurd than you'd think concept of a Slytherin Hermione and runs with it. Actually pretty original and quite good, and despite the summary, Hermione isn't an 11 year old copy of Voldemort by any means.

Harry Potter and the Time of Green Angel Vespers, originally by Andro and now continued by Greenseer Tethlis, tells the story of a victorious but dying Harry, who wakes up in a world where 15 year old Elise Potter is the Girl Who Lived. Not much to it so far at 40,000 words, but worth keeping an eye on. Learn to love fanfiction.net's "follow" feature is what I'm saying here.

Forging The Sword. Fascinating story that's all about the characterization of the golden trio and the exploration of magic. Probably the most similar to the Arithmancer out of this entire list in some ways, though very much not in others.

Ectomancer is by all reports one of the best, bar none, fics in the Harry Potter fandom. I've not read it, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.

AntiHyphen I've not read in awhile, but I remember it being good, short and sweet. I'll let the summary speak for itself:

quote:

The watchful eyes of the adoring public are locked on to the girl-who-lived-to-be-frustrated-by-society rather than where they ought to be: on her scheming twin brother.

A Changed Destiny Involves a Slytherin Ginny who joins the Death Eaters to spy for them. Guilty pleasure in a lot of ways - it's not really well written and the author overuses bold and italic flags. Probably the worst fic on this list in terms of actual writing quality, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Edit from a month and a half later: so I tried to reread this and holy poo poo it's absolutely awful nevermind everything I said. I'm frankly baffled at how unspeakably terrible a changed destiny is, because Good God it's unreadable. Leaving it on the list as a testament to my shame.

Now very few of these are similar to the Arithmancer thematically, but they're all quality fanfiction. Circular Reasoning and Renegade Cause can get a bit dark at times, Circular Reasoning more than Renegade Cause. Both are still very well written, and Circular Reasoning is, frankly, good enough I've actually recommended it to other people IRL, and they liked it.

My top three would definitely be Renegade Cause, Circular Reasoning, and Starnlicht, but I definitely recommend all of these to one degree or another.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 27, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Prince of the Dark Kingdom is pretty solid, albeit with the caveat that English is a second language for the author. It's also long as heck, but covers all seven books and breaks up rather nicely.

Oh also I finished Renegade Cause and wow did that have a lot of awful rapey poo poo in it. I mean, it wasn't bad otherwise but you can't really just ignore that.

It's been awhile since I read it, I only remember the two references...?

Once when Tonks burns that Death Eater alive during the Azkaban assault and once when Voldemort possesses Harry's then unused body

My bad though, should've mentioned it. I will say it never felt gratuitous though.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Killstick posted:

How do i put harry potter fanfiction on my kindle?

Use Fanfiction Downloader - lets you copy paste a FFN link into the program and it will output the document in the format of your choice. You have a kindle so that would be .MOBI, which you can then attach to an email, then send it your kindle email (which you should see on your amazon account, something like Killstick@kindle.com). Next time your kindle connects to the internet it should show up.

I actually spend far too much time reading harry potter fanfiction and I'd kinda love to discuss it a bit more so I kinda like the direction this thread is going. There's a lot of decent literature out there - it's no Night Watch but there's a lot that's very good.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what works of fanfiction you would consider not "bottom tier poo poo".

I wrote a list earlier in thread of Harry Potter fanfic.

Here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702281&userid=186847#post452483874

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

There's also a chrome extension to make ff.net highlightable again

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

worm seems cool but apparently it's comically difficult to find an epub or mobi of it and that drastically reduces my desire to read it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

divabot posted:

The ones who bothered with Pact and Twig have mostly thought he did better with those.

I expect Worm 2 will be as if millions of fanon voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. It'll be the indie equivalent of the EU decanonisation.

(still read almost nothing ever but Worm fics, tralala)

The author specifically doesn't want such a thing available as he fears it being bootlegged.

Oh I know. But something tells me a 1.7 million word behemoth isn't getting published anytime soon, and it's super annoying to have to ask individual people for their manually scraped epub or mobi. Just put a download on your site and remove it if you ever get published, Christ.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

oh of course he would.

anyways the arithmancer really does all this better, but kinda gets boring and goes off the rails in the sequel. I mean I hesitate to use the term Mary Sue, but... that's basically what Hermione turns in to.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I mean don't get me wrong I still read every update of the Arithmancer and its sequel that I'm forgetting the name of, but it does feel like Hermione kinda overshadows everyone else?

Which is half the point, but it gets a little bit grating when she's tutoring Dumbledore and Professor Sinestra.

Still millions of times better than this abomination mind you. But I prefer things like Renegade Cause or Starnlicht. Especially the latter, because its portrayal of 1590s Magical Britain is really really unique and really really cool.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

divabot posted:

- in which a rambling Worm fanfic, Vagrant, shows that not even Earth Bet is free of the scourge. And Earth Bet has a friendly AI.

edit: also features "Elijah Yakovlev":

Ironically, in and of itself an example of a terrible fanfic.

Less terrible than MoR of course. Similar in the sense it's well written, funny at times, but also walls right over canon in the most annoying of ways.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Monocled Falcon posted:

Of course, 'make the other two sides think you've been defeated by playing dead' is far too impractical to work. Though a lot of writers rely on this kind of elaborate deception scheme to have the heroes win small unit battles.

I wonder what would happen in a Fan fiction written by a West Point graduate.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8019901/1/Of-Sheep-and-Battle-Chicken

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

While some broadly defined rules about the setting are all well and good, the endless debates over minutiae seem to rather miss the point: it's magic, and it can do almost anything if you're clever enough.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Hermione in the Arithmancer can do nano-scale transfiguration, though as you say it wasn't part of the radioactivity experiment; it's her most potent weapon by far. She can, for example, transfigure air into NO2 to knock people out in an enclosed area, or make carbon nanotube razorwires to cut through stuff from any carbon source.

It's an infinitely better exploration of science-magic than Yud could ever write! Partially because magic in that universe (and the basic HP universe) obeys laws, unlike MoR magic which is all visualization and bullshit.

Jazerus posted:

Hermione in the Arithmancer can do nano-scale transfiguration, though as you say it wasn't part of the radioactivity experiment; it's her most potent weapon by far. She can, for example, transfigure air into NO2 to knock people out in an enclosed area, or make carbon nanotube razorwires to cut through stuff from any carbon source.

It's an infinitely better exploration of science-magic than Yud could ever write! Partially because magic in that universe (and the basic HP universe) obeys laws, unlike MoR magic which is all visualization and bullshit.

hahahahahaha oh just you wait

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'm actually okay with that chapter.

There's some neat little bits of foreshadowing:

quote:

"Um..." Harry said, looking very confused and worried. "I think we already are ourselves... it's not like I'm an imperfect copy of someone else."

And sure, Yud doesn't know how bullies work, but heroic protagonists outfighting bullies happens allllllllllll the time in YA fiction and it's hard for me to get too worked up about it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That bit's fine. It's the way he justifies it by saying that sometimes it's actually good to ignore bad things happening. Like, he's not criticising the method, he's straight up saying that you should sometimes just ignore evil. If you think that "evil must never pass unchallenged" then you're somehow worse than the people doing the evil to begin with.

I mean, sure, if you're working with limited resources (including political capital) then it's definitely right to say not all battles should be fought.

Besides, escalation has its own consequences. I'm actually with Dumbledore here and jesus christ we're having a completely inane conversation about a lovely fanfic

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

finally a good excuse to post this list.

Shamelessly stolen from the last time i did a list like this three years ago. I added some new entries, took out some of the shittier ones from last time around. My most important metric when selecting these is just the genuine quality of the writing, and I (remember) all of these being quite good.

Starnlicht is also fantastic, with a very unique setting: wizarding Britain in 1590. All original characters of course, but it's really really good, complete, and fairly short as well. Stars Judith Fairweather and Rebecca Gryffindor, who are both really well done for original characters. Has romance, some comedy, plenty of drama, what more could you want? I really like this one. This is probably my favourite on this list.

Circular Reasoning by Swimdraconian and Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor are two of my favourites and probably two of the best written fanfics I've ever read, Renegade Cause especially. They are not similar in tone to the Arithmancer at alllllll. Renegade Cause is intricately plotted, filled with subtlety, some politics, and good action, and a suitably independent Harry who doesn't fall into all the standard cliches. If you want quality fanfiction, look no further because this is the gold standard. Does have one or two incidences of sexual assault.

Circular Reasoning takes the 'peggy sue' concept (go back in time to fix it all!) and turns it right on its head. Starts out with a fantastic opening depiction of a very post-apocalyptic Magical Britian, so if you like post apocalyptic works you'll get your dose there. Then we return to the modern world and see the wizarding underworld in all its glory. Probably some of the best written action I've ever read.

Besides those three favourites, Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived is a classic, the premise being that Harry isn't the Boy Who Lived, and transfers to Durmstrang. It's a very engaging read. Despite the kinda silly summary it's actually excellent, if incomplete. Unfortunately abandoned but what's there is quite good.

Midnight Blues is a post Hogwarts fic starring Harry and Ron as dark wizard hunters contracted to the Ministry. Absolutely hilarious, but it's not a crack-fic and has some good serious moments. Almost Bond-like in its sense of adventure, though it's a bit too funny for it to really be a spiritual successor. Highly recommended.

Hogwarts Battle School obviously draws heavy inspiration from Enders Game and some later parts of MoR, without Orson Scott Card's homophobia and without Eliezer's insanity. Well written if you can suspend your disbelief. Check it out, see if you like it. If you like action and politics, this fic has both in spades.

Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity takes place in wizarding America with a completely new cast. Some pretty incredible worldbuilding, good characterization, and 4/7 books are already completed. I really like this one as well, but it's pretty different from the standard fare. Hasn't been updated in a few years but what's there already is really really great. I really enjoyed these ones, and they feel the closest to actual Harry Potter novels. Undeniably the best written out of all of these.

On the subject of things different from the standard fare, Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time is a truly epic in scale adventure with a rather sisyphean protagonist. Very much a classic, very action-adventure-y, and is a wild ride from start to finish. A bit rough in patches, but it's a lot of fun and you don't get more, well, epic in scale than this.

For a dash of horror, look no further than Deathly Hallowed. The premise is that Lily Potter dabbled in magic she shouldn't, and it gets pretty freaky. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for quite some time, but it's creepy and scary in the right ways.

To Play the Devil by the Wayland Smith. This one takes place about a hundred years after the original series. I'm just going to quote the summary for this one and say that it is very good. It's a pretty unique fic, with a more mature, more low-key vibe that works very well. Some pretty superb worldbuilding, also has a sequel that's... different.

"Immortality is not all it's cracked up to be. The war ended over a hundred years ago. Harry Potter and Voldemort are old, out of practice, and politely ignoring each other. However, as tensions rise across Europe the Ministry persuades them to join forces to try and end a series of disappearances in the Black Forest. No pairings."

For some other works that are also good:

Applied Cultural Anthropology takes the less absurd than you'd think concept of a Slytherin Hermione and runs with it. Actually pretty original and good, and despite the summary, Hermione isn't an 11 year old copy of Voldemort by any means. Little bit of Mary Sueish-ness.

Forging The Sword. Fascinating story that's all about the characterization of the golden trio and the exploration of magic. Probably the most similar to the Arithmancer out of this entire list.

Iris Potter and the Goblet's Surprise. The author seems determined to keep rewriting this fic, but the 15 chapters that are currently up are oddly engaging. Iris is an annoying little poo poo and it consistently blows up in her face in satisfying and amusing ways. loving nails what being a 14 year old girl struggling with her sexuality is like though :v:. Less serious, surprisingly charming, the first two chapters are pretty weak.

The Pureblood Pretense and its sequels are great. A rip-off of Alanna the Lioness with blood substituting for gender.... but on the other hand, Alanna the Lioness in the Harry Potter world is a fantastic combination. Very engaging all around, Harriet has a thing for Potions in this one, and it's blatantly obvious the author is in academia because the not so subtle swipes at the Potions "journals" are pretty both on-point and funny. Good all around, give it a read, see what you think.

Magical Relations has Dudley Dursley get a letter inviting him to Hogwarts too. It's great. Not as stupid as you'd think.

e: the previously recommended harry potter and the natural 20 is amazing

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 30, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I can't believe I forgot about the Changeling because it's easily the most haunting of the lot. Very unique writing style and it pays off.

The sequel isn't quite as good though. It runs out of steam pretty quick and suffers from the fatal problem of not needing to exist in the first place.

E: Taure is regularly updating Victoria Potter over on the DarkLordPotter forums

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 31, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Harry Tonks thing was probably less disturbing to me because that's a common pairing in Harry Potter fanfics in general but lol i completely missed that I typo the first time around yeesh

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Butcher Harry Butcher has a huge freaking Madonna-Whore complex, all the women in the novel are neatly arranged along the spectrum and all the women who are in control / using their sexuality are evil and repulsive to Harry. Conversely, Harry really likes his damsels in distress, and (as a part of his bullying rear end in a top hat personality) is into playing weird psychological games to make sure he's in control. Last but not least, Butcher masturbates to female flesh being mutilated (the sex-murders, Liah getting her exposed breasts burned, Benn the FBI werewolf). Those are just the elements that I have a hard time imagining anyone denying in good faith after having read the books.

really.

you have a hard time imagining how anyone could deny that the author masturbates to women being mutilated because of some uncomfortable gender politics in the book. in good faith.

Like you're not wrong that there's uncomfortable gender politics but dude you're taking this creepily far

Vvvv :lol:

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 10, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I always appreciated Voldemort flying because man what a fantastic way to demonstrate how skilled the character is, without needing to shoehorn in some ridiculously lethal spell that kills a billion people or whatever. Unaided flight! Now that's really something remarkable, that neither Dumbledore or Grindewald ever did.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

Doesn't he teach Snape how to do it and it's a big spooky moment confirming Snape is definitely 100% bad guy because otherwise Voldemort wouldn't trust him with the secret?

Nope, not as far as I'm aware. Even other death eaters had to use brooms - see the whole chase scene with seven Harrys back in book 7.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Worm was pretty definitely written with an eventual escalation to a literally world-shattering crisis in mind from the start. I'm the last person who would say the story doesn't have a lot of problems (god knows I could never make it all the way through) but "threat escalation" isn't a justified criticism as these kinds of thing go.

Yeah the entire point of worm is the ridiculous escalation. It's definitely a flawed work and would be better at about half as long, but it's a pretty fun ride. It's Apocalyptic fiction and honestly I dig that.

Also as an original work it takes a ton more creativity than this poo poo. Then again, I suppose for all of Yud's flaws that make him a burning trashfire hack of a man, he's at least creative. AI's torturing simulations to influence the past? You can't make that poo poo up

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dabir posted:

Yud didn't come up with that, sex pest Roko did. Yud just uncritically bought into it and banned all discussion of it from his cult to stop it "infecting" people.

yud plagiarizes from better writers once again :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Did you know that the yud has a Twitter and worm opinions

https://twitter.com/ESYudkowsky/status/1170022426891018240?s=20