Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When I was first introduced to this... thing, I enjoyed it for what I thought it was, a parody that poked fun at genre tropes and didn't at all take itself seriously. This was when it was about 30-40% finished. As time went on and he kept posting more chapters, my perception of it slowly transformed until the point of me hatereading through the end just because I wanted to finish what I started and see if the payoff was at all worth all the lovely build up. It wasn't.

The thing is, I've read a lot of mediocre to lovely fanfiction, and I hate this even worse than those. A lot of the poo poo is unabashedly proud of itself for what it is, and the author isn't afraid to just vomit garbage onto the internet and reap the rewards of a legion of preteen wankers who enjoy the stuff. Yud is a different story though, he takes himself super seriously and thinks his poo poo is a work of scientific masterpiece, and has whipped up a fanbase of frenzied lunatics who worship the ground he walks on. It's completely baffling that it's been as successful as it is, but here we are.

And the fact that it's terrible even for fanfiction is just ridiculous. Out of the probably thousands of pieces of fanfiction I've forced myself to read over the past decade, there is only a single one that actually stands on its own merits as a story, and that's more because it's not really fanfiction at all and is instead a completely original story where some of the protagonists share names with anime lesbians but bear no actual resemblance to said characters or setting or plot.

Basically gently caress fanfiction, and gently caress myself for still reading it sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

Eh, the New Testament wasn't that great. Suddenly the Jews don't matter anymore? God needs his flesh-and-blood son (where did that come from!?) to die for some reason? What happened to the pile of rules God spent two whole books laying out? Did they even read the source material?

I laughed harder at this than I've laughed at anything in an extremely long time, so thanks for that.

What I was referring to was this, which is basically historical fiction of the Roman empire and the rise of Caesar with anime stickers on it. I like it because I loving love Rome, but it's also really well-written, even considering that it's fanfiction.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Nazis would have won!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hahahah what the gently caress

Is this some kind of parody of awful stereotypes or what?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

These two are literally the same thing.

:eyepop:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There isn't enough :allears: for this.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Prince of the Dark Kingdom, if you want a random example of that. I dunno if I'd call it "good", but it's a good example of hugely-lengthy HP fanfiction that's better than Big Yud. It's 1.2 million words and not finished, but hey.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think 'yet' is the operative word there, unfortunately. But yeah that poo poo is loving terrifying.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Yud's characterization of Transfiguration never really fit to me. While "Turning something into something else and back again" would certainly be considered highly dangerous by anyone scientific, in the main series it's mostly portrayed as harmless up until you get to the advanced stuff, and even then the harmful stuff seemed to be fixable for the most part. The way this fanfic characterizes it, Krum's partial transfiguration into a shark was the single riskiest move made during the triwizard tournament yet that was treated as well thought out but imperfectly done, and a group of teenagers managed to work out becoming animagi all on their own with no apparent ill effects.

The kind of seriousness McGonagall expressed in the last section had the tone of a NEWT class where they start routinely deal with complex poo poo that will send you to St. Mungo's if you screw up, not a first year intro to basic magic for 11 year olds.

It's solely so he can set up Harry's bullshit superpower that he ends up killing Voldemort with

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"Transfiguration" isn't a single thing, it's a collection of a bunch of different charms with different effects that are all related to changing things. Some are temporary, some are permanent.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

He probably read the first dozen chapters without analyzing it too deeply like most of us did and thought it was great.

The soul crushing reality will set in with time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think you misunderstood that bit. The powers were given by the alien to the human race like they'd been given to countless other races before, for the purposes of gathering data on them that the alien could incorporate into itself as a form of evolution. The dead one was harvested by Cauldron to give powers artificially by the same mechanism. It's really not any better of an explanation, to be fair. :v:

But I liked Worm for the character development and fun power usage and worldbuilding. The background plot wasn't really relevant for me.

I do agree that it peaked not long after Leviathan, but I think it was consistently good until the Behemoth bit and the timeskip, where it fell off a lot. Still one of my favorite pieces of literature.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's great and amazing. Probably the best intentionally-humorous short story I've ever read.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's the type of cliche that would have turned up in the type of books Eliezarry reads, I guess?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A hell of a lot of people died during Voldemort's murder spree so the current student population being low seems reasonable. Then again if there were only 40 students per year the stadiums at quidditch events wouldn't be nearly as full as they are in the movies, even including the professors. :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I mean, you kind of do have to be an unrepentantly evil motherfucker to completely and utterly deprive someone of their free will such that you can impose your own on them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah it is.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah even in the later books it isn't said much. That's 100% a fanfiction thing, because the community is super incestuous.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think there's something to be said for that, everything being morally grey and mostly disagreeable. It's entirely up to the reader to take away from that what they agree with, though it doesn't work at all in this case. A better writer could pull it off.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Oooh boy. In no particular order:

And here I thought I'd have free time this month.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Prince of the Dark Kingdom is pretty solid, albeit with the caveat that English is a second language for the author. It's also long as heck, but covers all seven books and breaks up rather nicely.

Oh also I finished Renegade Cause and wow did that have a lot of awful rapey poo poo in it. I mean, it wasn't bad otherwise but you can't really just ignore that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

divabot posted:

Panacea Quest

:chanpop: :catstare: :wtc:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If we're going no holds barred with the fanfic discussion, I'm gonna recommend Inter Nos, which is essentially Roman historical fiction with a thin veneer of anime lesbians covering it to attract a wider audience. The protagonists are from Mai Hime but really it covers like a dozen major works just in the primary cast and has a lot of minor characters from anything and everything you can think of. It's very good but can be dense at times, particularly during the parts where large-scale battle or preparations for said battles are not happening in the forefront, and is obscenely long at just over a million words and not yet finished. Senatorial politicking is absolutely the best part of the story, and a lot of the characters have been adapted well for what it is. I'm probably not great at selling it, but I can confidently say it's one of the most well-written pieces of fiction I've read in my life, and I'm a very prolific reader.

It also does the Worm thing where the protagonist will be doing some insanely hosed up poo poo that is described totally normally from their perspective, because they are insane.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 28, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Massive loving spoilers on why the potions book thing matters: Dumbledore read a series of prophecies that required his manipulating Lily into getting Petunia to marry what's-his-face, among many many other things, so Harry would grow up in the exact set of circumstances to avert destruction of humanity by his own hands. Yes, it's a whole bunch of contrived bullshit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The device that measures the number of queefs by left handed women in france is a monty python thing, I believe.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Quirrel being Voldemort, Harry being a copy of Voldemort, and Harry's special power being partial transfiguration were all planned from the beginning. Details definitely not so much, but those three major plot points never changed.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

chrisoya posted:

He won't even be in the top ten worst people trying to spam the Hugos this year. He's even a better writer than some of the Puppy trash that got nominated last time around.

Would it be cruel to ask these guys' expert opinion on A Girl Corrupted by the Internet is the Summoned Hero?!?

Yep.

divabot posted:

Pounded In The Butt By My Own Girl with Red Tidday Up and White Tidday Down Corrupted by the Internet who is the Summoned Hero?! by Roko's Tinglisk

:golfclap:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 30, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pretty sure he used an illusion to make it look like he set fire to a chicken. Harry's reaction there and subsequent mistrust of him was necessary for THE PLOT so Dumbledore engineered it, or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Come on now, I doubt it's possible for anyone to have been as dumb as Big Yud.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

divabot posted:

You know, you really should read The Sequences Arbital.

My very favourite piece so far is The Rocket Alignment Problem.

I got about three sentences in before my eyes kind of glazed over and I began imagining dudes standing on top of rockets hitting themselves in the head with hammers.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

This is a site designed to compete with fanfiction.net!

AO3 already does that more and better than anything MIRI comes up with ever could.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The hell is that

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

He "knows" that Dumbledore values him too highly to allow anything actually bad to happen to him in Hogwarts, because he accidentally guessed that there was a prophecy concerning him and McGonagall gave it away.

Also probably a bit of that, yeah.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nah he actually does get some pretty serious consequences for misusing the Time Turner, though they get worked around or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Added Space posted:

The "consequences" are that he gets to keep it, and a mildly effective lock is added.

He takes a major blow to his pride and ego from the one person he holds any respect for other than Quirrel.

It's a consequence in Yud terms.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What does it say about us that we really really want this?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The play is somehow worse than this. How the gently caress, Jo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I don't not believe that, but still, goddamn. That script almost gave me an aneurysm.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Don't time turners have a fairly short usage restriction anyway? How are the kids going back in time over a decade with one?

I'm heavily leaning towards JKR trolling us on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Accidental Animagus is right up your alley then. As well as The Arithmancer by the same author, though that's Hermione-focused.