Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pvt.Scott posted:

Does the Potterverse have cures for things like Down syndrome? They can’t fix minds, but what about genetics?

Here's Rowling answer on Pottermore.

Rowling posted:

I decided that, broadly speaking, wizards would have the power to correct or override ‘mundane’ nature, but not ‘magical’ nature. Therefore, a wizard could catch anything a Muggle might catch, but he could cure all of it;

I suppose it depends on how you interpret "catch" and "cure". There's no reference to "mundane" disorders either way outside of maybe Luna, and Hogwarts is ridiculously unsuited for purposes of accessibility, so it's entirely possible to read between the lines and interpret that the Wizarding population is big into mundane eugenics as well.+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is it even legal to sell copies of this thing?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Qwertycoatl posted:

The rationality community have gradually decided that the most effective use of charity money is to give it to themselves.

That's what happens when you rid yourself of all biases.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Xander77 posted:

I mean, if you're going to do such a radical personality reconstruction that he's not even magic Hitler anymore, than you're basically executing him anyway, just in a more horrifying way.

I'm pretty sure you can't even do that in HP, but what do I know. I haven't read nearly as much fanfic as Yud.

Isn't part of Yud's beliefs that absolutely anything is better than non-existence?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Lockhart became a helpless amnesiac they had to lock up in the wizard hospital and he was still there a couple of books later, presumably not loving someone up that badly takes skill and deliberation.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Most of the actual plot devices in that story like the Interdict of Merlin, the inability to lie in Parseltongue or transfiguration being so absurdly dangerous are Yudkowsky's invention. Which makes you question why he didn't just write the story in an original setting in the first place, before you remember he's a shameless grifter who was deliberately courting the audience of that particular fandom.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I always cringe a little when people assume Yudkowsky and co must be bitter weirdo virgins because it turns out they're a very different and more toxic kind of pest.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Cardiovorax posted:

It would be pretty funny if half the poo poo that happens in the later novels is because everyone was teaching themselves defense and therefore their own accursed DADA teacher by default.

That'd be the kind of dick move that would make the curse effective, but Quirrelmort is a rather extreme example of "actually the best teachers must be abusive sociopaths who secretly know what's best". Say what you will about Snape, at least the text acknowledged that he's a godawful teacher because he's such an rear end in a top hat.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

divabot posted:

I mean, most rambling Mary Sue epics only have one author insert character who always wins, not two.

Something can't give Frodo a lightsaber without giving Sauron the Death Star something

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Xander77 posted:

1. Redeeming Draco loving Malfoy. Possibly the biggest subplot in the whole damned thing. Gone. Completely irrelevant.

It's pretty fitting how our lesswrong's self-insert spent so much effort trying to "redeem" the fash kid with money and influence (while ignoring all the boring normies like Ron), only for that plotline to be a giant wet fart.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
IIRC he distinguishes himself at some point during the Ender's Game student battles arc but that's about it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Be sure to send your paycheck to MIRI, or whatever crackpot thing Yudkowsky is into these days.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm willing to agree sour grapes clichés about immortality in settings where it's definitely possible can get a bit aggravating, but transhumanists can't help themselves but counter them in the most insufferable way possible.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If Yudkowsky had posted this on AO3 he'd be a Hugo Awards winner by now.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
This is probably going to lead to people explaining the Basilisk all over again, but the thing is that the concept is a logical elaboration of crank ideas Yudkowsky had fiercely defended before.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Difference is Harry is on the side of "Light" in some vague way, which totally isn't fanfiction jargon encroaching onto the story with no explanation.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Jazerus posted:

now, what it means that yud thought the best possible avatar of his philosophy was literal baby wizard hitler is left as an exercise to the reader

It's teasing the main character as dangerous and instable for the sake of looking more exciting. See also the gratuitous allusions to him having a dark side and how he could conquer the world effortlessly if he wasn't so gosh darn moral.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tunicate posted:

is that the one where the protagonist defeats the villain by carving 'tits' into their head with knives, or was that different wildbow story?

lmao

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
No worry, they're weak to bullying.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Don't forget that, despite the fic being ostensibly about exploiting the setting's shaky worldbuilding in inventive ways, most of what Harry does is exploiting rules Yudkowsky invented himself, or just using the Time-Turner to solve every other problem.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
it's just sci-fi Madoka

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I get the impression nerds just find POTUS being legit action hero-style badasses to be an inherently entertaining concept regardless of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Math Pet AI