Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a Mary Sue fanfic where Ron is the rational genius and is there a crossover fanfic where HPATMOR Harry, Arithmancy Hermione, and ??? Ron team up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Some people were talking about it several dozen pages ago so I thought this would be the appropriate place to mention that Harry Potter and the Natural 20 has finally started updating again after something like 2 years of inactivity. That link goes to the new chapter, not the start.

For those who don't know it, it's a fanfic that Yud likes about a wizard from a D&D world who finds themselves on earth, in Hogwarts. It starts off as a silly joke about the absurdity of both D&D mechanics and Harry Potter magic but eventually grows into an actual coherent plot with a thematically relevant character arc for the protagonist. The author has a good sense of comedic timing and manages to wring a lot more humor out of the premise than you might initially expect, too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

HP20 updated! After only 6 months this time! Author also says his goal is to get out one chapter a month for the time being. https://m.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/73/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Did they get rid of houses in HPATMOR or do you mean canonically? Because there were definitely still houses in the flash forward at the end of book 7.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

You... seem incredibly invested in getting the thread about a bad HP fanfic to believe that a different bad fanfic is worse.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a good fic similar to just the Fiona parts of HP20? Because I could read about Muggles figuring it out and circumventing obliviators all day.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Should I keep going or are the first five chapters representative enough? If the latter, which of the above-mentioned stories are the most unlike HPTN20?

Yeah I wouldn't say the first five chapters were representative of the fic at all. It almost feels like it started as a joke up until the author realized that there was actually some genuine potential there, and he actually managed to weave a coherent narrative with a character arc that works thematically well with D&D. Plus, I get the sense the author is probably a good DM because he does a good job of portraying D&D magic as different, rather than overpowered or underpowered compared to Potterverse magic.

The Iron Rose posted:

Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity takes place in wizarding America with a completely new cast. Some pretty incredible worldbuilding, good characterization, and 4/7 books are already completed. I really like this one as well, but it's pretty different from the standard fare. Hasn't been updated in a few years but what's there already is really really great. I really enjoyed these ones, and they feel the closest to actual Harry Potter novels. Undeniably the best written out of all of these.

Apart from HP20, I do think this is the best written one of these, and I read and enjoyed all four volumes that are out (fic seems to be dead past that but the author apparently posts entire books all at once so who knows?) but I do have one major problem; I get the sense that in a conscious effort to avoid Mary Sueing the main character, the writer leaned way too hard in the opposite direction. The protagonist just won't stop making bad choices--and while most protagonists who make bad choices feel like an author trying to contrive a particular situation into happening, this one felt like they were doing it just to show the readers how far removed they were from a Mary Sue.

Mazerunner posted:

Strangers at Drakeshaugh. Follows a muggle mother whose son befriends James (Sirius) Potter, the son of the strange new neighbours Harry and Ginny. (Post-War). Mostly a lot of happy fluff and parenting stuff and precocious children, so diabetes warning I guess. Leading up to the muggle folk figuring out magic, but not quite there yet. Also there's some sort of capturing a serial killer plotline but whatever, that's not important. Not complete, but updated recently. I think the author has a bunch of other fics set in this 'universe' but I haven't read them.

This one was cute and I enjoyed it but I'll get royally pissed if the family gets obliviated--better that they don't find out if so. I think one or more of the author's other fics takes place after this one and as far as I can tell they don't know..

Mazerunner posted:

Victoria Potter. Follows- well, a girl 'Harry', although she's very much her own person, not just Harry with another x chromosome. There's a lot of world-building stuff that's pretty neat. Only eleven chapters though so it's very much incomplete, but is still updating, hopefully?

Read this on your recommendation and I liked it. I'll keep an eye on this one but maybe I should look for the author's other fic, which this one is apparently a massive reworking of?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Speaking of HP20, new chapter.

Unrelated, HP canon question: I could have sworn it had been established that repeated obliviation causes brain damage, but I can't find anything about this at all. Somehow I got it in my head that there was a Muggle character briefly mentioned in one book who lived in such close proximity to magical things that they had to keep wiping him and consequently giving him permanent brain damage. Did my brain somehow invent this or was my mind polluted by events from a fanfic in this thread?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh, thanks, that's why I couldn't find it; I had been convinced it was the old guy who took care of the Riddle house, and my memory smushed the details together with the Triwizard guy and Bertha.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

but also the fifth book of the Alexandra Quick series started updating, after like seven years

so far Alex got two wands to replace her old broken one, was essentially declared persona non grata by the confederacy, started dating her muggle friend Brian (it's a terrible relationship that's gonna crash and burn), her older sister is going to open a magic day school for problem students, and now she's visiting the Ozarks with her other sister Julia

it's all written and done already, just updates monday and friday instead of getting dumped all at once, about 60 chapters or so

Woah, I never thought that one would come back. I liked the first book but the next three felt as though in an effort to avoid turning the main character into a Mary Sue, the author leaned too far in the other direction, making her too foolhardy and unwilling to keep people in the loop and having to learn the same lessons over and over again. Overall I still enjoyed them enough though and I hope the writer has grown sufficiently since the last one.

Now if only HP and the Natural 20 would come back, after the two measly updates he posted last year following years of inactivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a fun thing to read (HP fic or even original fiction) if I enjoyed the cop's side plot in Harry Potter and the Natural 20? It finally updated twice last year with the promise of more but then it just left me hanging again...