Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
this is way too low rent to go in the amateur radio thread but i was pretty proud that i completed something you would give to a 12 year old

not only does it work but i did not burn myself with the iron, not even once

some of those solder connections are real gnarly but its because i ran out of the narrow gauge stuff and had to use this back up giganto-solder so ended up with some serious blobs

what i really need are suggestions for beginner-ish projects that are a step above this but still leagues below what the HAM guys are doing, i have an understanding of basic circuit elements and the math governing them, but have zero education or experience in circuit design so I want something a little more sophisticated than "solder component A to tabs B" but something still geared for people without an engineering background

edit: the only thing that came pre-installed was the surface mount IC above the battery box

Hesh Ballantine fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

how do you pick the station or are you stuck with whatever's the strongest signal which is probably a crappy top 40 station even though you really want to listen to npr

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
the first button scans up until it finds something strong enough and then stops, the second button resets to the bottom of the range ~88MHz

i havent spent enough time with it yet to figure out which local stations it gets but a few scans up got me at least 3 or 4 clear-ish stations, no idea how far up the band i actually got because i didnt listen long enough for a station ID on any of them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude you're totally welcome in the ham thread and this is badass.

i was always intrigued by the little auto scan FM chips!

my wife wants to solder up one of those blinky LED heart kits one of these days

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

minivanmegafun posted:

even though you really want to listen to npr

hey hows life over in bizarro world

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the car talk guys are amusing sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

dude you're totally welcome in the ham thread and this is badass.

i was always intrigued by the little auto scan FM chips!

my wife wants to solder up one of those blinky LED heart kits one of these days

thanks man, i have been working my way through the ham thread and its totally fascinating even though most of the technical discussion is over my head

• Locked thread