Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Expressing interest in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Aoko
Bright-Eyed, Genetically-Engineered Psychic Pilot
Theme 1 Theme 2

What is it that makes great soldiers truly great? Is it simply experience on the battlefield? Things like reaction speed and muscle memory? Is it their training? Do great soldiers stand on the shoulders of giant, having accumulated the results of military theory thousands of years old? Is it a matter of discipline, knowing when to take the correct action and then forcing themselves to actually do it?

Or is it something more? Is there anything really special about Great Soldiers or, perhaps, are they just Great Men that happen to fight? And for that matter, what makes Great Men great? Are they built by society? Is it simply a matter of having a fine mind and good genetics? Or perhaps, is it a matter of having a Great Soul?

But then... how does one make a Great Soul?

Aoko is the end result of a secret project that aims to do just that. Created by Dr. Itagaki, she is a genetically engineered 'Next-Gen Human' made with the goal of exceeding humanity in 'all the ways that matter.' Though her primary purpose, for now, is to pilot the mecha Suisho-Kyokan, Itagaki seems to have even greater hopes for her.

While Aoko's talents are generally well-rounded, there is one aspect to her which stands out well above anything else: her mental abilities. Sensitive to the forces of the world and of the human mind to an extreme degree, she can react unnaturally fast to stimuli, sense things that 'aren't there', and form an almost disconcerting emphatic bond with other people. This has, naturally, been exploited to power a giant robot with her brain.

In person, Aoko carries a very kind, calm, and gentle aura, which has made her popular around the base. She is so bright-eyed and gentle-hearted it seems infectious, like she just somehow automatically brightens people's days by being there.

As the example of a 'Next-Gen Human', Aoko has been forced to become a symbol of hope and everything that humanity can be. So far, she has been pretty well suited to this task; after all, being good, kind, and hopeful is part of her natural personality. And everybody has been pretty kind and nice to her so far, as well. But will her faith in humanity hold up when their moral complexities become more apparent?

The exact details of Aoko's origins are a mystery to her. She has no memories of her earliest days, and so far, Itagaki has avoided talking about the subject. Currently this is not much of a concern, but there are likely to be important questions in the future...

Dr. Arthur Itagaki
Transhumanist Scientist
Theme

Behind the project that created Aoko is Dr. Arthur Itagaki (pictured above testing a pilot suit of his own design), a man whose background is somewhat of a mystery. Still, when someone shows up with a psychic super-soldier and a giant robot and offers to help, nobody really asks more questions than necessary.

He says that he is 'simply a humanitarian' who simply uses science to 'help out humanity as a whole'. The alien threat seems to only be of secondary importance, except when it's directly threatening him.

Akiko
Enigmatic Sister
Theme

Akiko is Aoko's 'older sister', and yet Aoko doesn't even realize that she exists. Dr. Itagaki hasn't mentioned anything about her, either.

The two sisters seem like opposite sides of the same coin; in looks, stature, and ability they are almost the same, but their personalities are miles apart. Where Aoko is calm, honest and gentle, Akiko is forceful, cunning, and aggressive.

Who is Akiko, really? And what does she want?

quote:

Aoko, Artificially Engineered Psychic

Health: 40
Endurance: 40

Abilities (+10):

Beautiful +2
Charismatic +2
Perceptive +2
Psychic +1
Quick +1
Sixth Sense +1
Smart +1

Weaknesses (-5):
Amnesia -1
Crybaby -1
Kind-Hearted -2
Servitude (Dr. Itagaki) -1

quote:

Special Attacks for Aoko

Psychic Interference - Roll 3? DX 1 End 10?
Psychic sensitivity is a double-edged sword. As much as it lets you listen to soft mental whispers, it leaves you open to that same voice shouting in your ear. Aoko can exploit this by concentrating her mental power.
Will Attack (0)
Ranged (0)
Strike Through (+5)
Stunning (+10)
Cancel: Only Works on Other Psychics (-5?)
Affinity: Psychic

Psychic Burst - Roll 2? DX 1 End 15
It is possible, also, to concentrate and let out so much psychic power that it can affect more mundane minds. But it is not very safe.
Will Attack (0)
Ranged (0)
Multiple Targets (+10)
Strike Through (+5)
Stunning (+10)
Overwhelming (+15)
Concentration (-20)
Backlash (-5)

Suisho-Kyokan
The Crystal Giant
Theme

If Aoko was designed to be as well-rounded as a human could, Suisho-Kyokan is a tool designed to be as focused as a weapon should.

Almost every aspect of its design, from its control interfaces, to its shields and weapons, to the very nature of the circuits powering of the thing, is built to take advantage of the excessive mental capacity of the (presumably psychic) pilot inside.

At its heart is the Psycho-Drive, the machine that makes this all possible by transforming raw brainwaves into the energy which powers the robot and its systems. This Psycho-Resonant Energy, in addition to providing simple power and locomotion, is amplified to provide the cutting power of its blade and beam weaponry, as well as the shielding power of its psycho-kinetic barriers.

Control of the robot is efficiently handled with a 1:1 neuro-mapping system, which allows the pilot to move the humanoid machine as if it were their own body. This allows for fine, precise movements, and conveniently does not interfere with any faster-than-human reflexes its pilot may have.

quote:

Suisho-Kyokan, The Crystal Giant

Health: 30
Endurance: 60

Abilities (+10):
Full-Body Neuro-Mapped Controls (Agile) +1
Psycho-Resonant Blade/Beams (Attack) +2
Crystalline Armor (Armored) +1
Psycho-Kinetic Barrier (Barrier) +2
1:1 Control System (Dexterous) +1
Psycho-Kinetic Levitation System (Flight) +1 [Free]
Life Support Systems (Life Support) +1 [Free]
Lag-Free Psycho-Inputs (Quick) +1
The Psycho-Drive (Vigorous) +2

Weaknesses (-3):
Lightweight Structure (Frail) -1
Unsecured Psycho-Circuits (Vulnerability, Psychic Attacks) -1
High-Energy Shielding (Endurance Use, Barrier) -1

quote:

Special Attacks for Suisho-Kyokan

Psycho-Resonant Sword - Roll 3 DX 3 End 0
A sword that resonates with high-frequency psychic power, which even at minimal energy levels gives it extraordinary cutting ability.
Armor Piercing (+5)
Weapon (-5)

Psycho-Resonant Sword: Harmonic Strike - Roll 3 DX 5 End 10
When charged with psycho-resonant power, the sword can cut through almost anything.
Armor Piercing (+5)
Effective x2 (+10)
Barrier Buster (+5)
Weapon (-5)
Buildup (-5)

Psycho-Resonant Beam - Roll 5 DX 4 End 15
A beam of energy, charged up and fired from a long prism in the front of the Suisho-Kyokan's horn.
Ranged (+0)
Accurate x2 (+10)
Effective (+5)
Impairing (+10)
Activation (-10)

Psychic Overload - Roll 3 DX 5 End 15
It is possible to use the Psycho-Drive's amplifier to deliver a burst of psycho-energy so large it could disrupt giant aliens. This is not an intended of the Psycho-Drive, nor is it a safe use of it.
Will Attack (+0)
Effective x2 (+10)
Overwhelming (+15)
Paralyzing x2 (+20)
Open To Attack (-25)
Backlash (-5)

Takanago fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 16, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Green Intern posted:

FYI K Prime said that all mechs get rank 1 life support and flight for free. I'm not sure if you meant for yours to have extra or not.

Oh, well would you look at that. I'll redo my numbers when its not horribly late

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

K Prime posted:

Aoko, how did Aoko get pulled into the IG? Does your "father" work for them completely now, or is he still being kept at arm's length/keeping them at arm's length? What price did he ask for for his help?

Before we were here, we worked at a lab in the Empire of Heaven. It wasn't a very nice place. The whole lab was very cold, sterile, hundreds of meters below the ground, and built like a maze. I never did figure out how that place was laid out; they never gave me much time to myself and they especially didn't like me wandering around.

Everybody there was really under some kind of intense pressure. They'd always be scrambling to meet some kind of quota or deadline. "We've got to get these test results done in an hour!" "The Psycho-Amplifier Mark 2 needs to be calibrated by tomorrow!" You didn't have time to relax, you didn't have time to ask questions, you just needed to do what you needed to do before someone got really mad.

I know that the Professor really didn't like any of this. Most of the research staff there was usually kind of tired, but he always seemed to be actively angry at something. Never at me. But there was always something about the direction of the project that day that was not something he wanted to be doing.

Then, one night, when they had forgotten to keep me monitored, I happened to close my eyes for a moment and reach out. I saw the Professor's aura. It was flaring up like I hadn't seen before. And then I listened.

"No, you don't understand a thing! Can't you see the potential?! These aren't just weapons! These are extensions of the Soul!" He was in an argument with someone important. Someone I didn't know.

A few hours later, the power went completely out and everything became pitch black. Not long after, the Professor pried open the door to my room and said, "We're going." We took the Suisho-Kyokan on the way out. I don't think the Professor much cared for it, but I don't think we could have made it out of that complex on foot. And as it turned out, it would also be our bargaining chip later.

After that, we ran and we hid. This only lasted as long as it took for us to really get away. The Professor was never really happy when he wasn't in the lab. He didn't like being idle. I didn't really mind it, it was actually kind of nice to be free for a change. But I didn't want to stay like that if it meant the Professor was unhappy.

Eventually he contacted the IG through some researchers that he knew. He offered his services, as well as mine and the Suisho-Kyokan's. And in return, he asked for his own lab where he could operate without anybody looking over his shoulder and constantly keeping an eye on him. So, to answer your question, I'd say that he's keeping them at arm's length.

I don't know if he's asked for anything more, but I doubt it. I think he just wants to be able to work on whatever he wants, and to not be disturbed while doing it. I think he's really trying to 'say something' through his work.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 8, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Green Intern posted:

Welcome to the new players! Way to lower the average age of the PCs!

Takanago where did you get your art? I'm impressed that you have a full matching set of stuff.

I was lucky enough to find this guy, MKCT on Pixiv (partial nsfw warning if you have an account with that stuff enabled there). Pretty much everything I used came from this one album in particular. It really suited my "spend forever looking for art then fit something to what ya got" character-making style.

There's a bunch of other stuff there too, even using the same original characters. But most of them are unlikely to be canon.

or are they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I added some special attacks to Aoko's/The Crystal Giant's char sheets. There are a few things that I'm not quiiite sure about, but I think it's good enough for now.

e: goddammit just right after I made these attacks I found the section in the book explaining Drama Dice/Miracles. Might re-consider some of these special attacks later

Takanago fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 16, 2015

• Locked thread