Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Diseased is almost certainly the Book of Darkness, the Leperchaun, and the Mystery Seasoning; you know, the things that disintegrate everything around them through dark forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Timber seems like a tricky one. I would suggetst throwing in the hand, the saw, and some wooden items from the previous catalogues (that'd be the spoon, the letter blocks, the sleeping idol and the building blocks).

Vices might be the cigarettes, the wine and the doll.

Road rage I'd try the truck, the bus and the boombox.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I'm surprised the sorority doll stands up on its own. None of the other spindly humanoids do.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You never tried the zombie the lepercon on the racoon at the same time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Road rage might be a really bad pun, so I'd try out proteins (roid rage) as a part of the combo.

Sorority party might be the low self esteem action doll and the valkyrie?

Ain't got a clue about the vices.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

paragon1 posted:

Deadly vices could be the smokes, the mid-life crisis wine, and the friend pills.

Sorority party is probably low-self esteem action doll and the wine?

Road rage could be wooden bicycle, the bus, and the monster truck.

You beat me to it on Road Rage. I can't think of anything else for that one that nobody's said yet.

Sorority party... Pretty muh everything else I'd think of has been guessed already, but I saw balloons back there, and you've never managed to burn those. Maybe the doll and balloons?

Deadly Vices and Timber, I dunno. A bunch of wood things and the chainsaw? Jam enough wood into there (ha) and maybe something will trigger. And Deadly Vices could be a bad pun, so maybe the bear trap and the... no, there's not enough vice-like items.

OH, You mentioned flannel. Maybe the chainsaw, the hand, and the manly spray? That's flannel-patterned.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 20, 2015

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Sorites posted:

I'm surprised the sorority doll stands up on its own. None of the other spindly humanoids do.

Which seems to be the opposite of how it SHOULD be anyway.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Another possibility for Road Rage might be three things that cause road rage.

So, the cell phone, monster truck (because of when the combo unlocks), and, I dunno, Coffee?

Oh and looking at item descriptions Vices is probably actually Medicated Mommy Pills, Midlife Crisis Mitigator, and Puff Pack.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Vices...hmm. Maybe one of the pill things, the glass cards, and the wine?

You know, drugs, gambling, alcohol.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Forer posted:

Which seems to be the opposite of how it SHOULD be anyway.

I notice that its flavour text refers to it 'teetering'. Is it special-cased to weeble and wobble but not fall down?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope the LP ends in the biggest bang* possible.

*May or may not contain an actual explosion

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
The mustache was clever association for Timber!, but check the description on the MANLY scent; I'm guessing Chainsaw, Lumberjack Hand, and Manly Odor Spray.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Major_JF posted:

You never tried the zombie the lepercon on the racoon at the same time.

GeneX posted:

Vices...hmm. Maybe one of the pill things, the glass cards, and the wine?

You know, drugs, gambling, alcohol.

Keep in mind that combos must include at least one item from the catalog that unlocked them, so these are not possible unfortunately. I'm pretty sure at least one item in each guess is right, though.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

The mustache was clever association for Timber!, but check the description on the MANLY scent; I'm guessing Chainsaw, Lumberjack Hand, and Manly Odor Spray.

This solution would technically break a rule of combos, which is that they're supposed to be listed in the order their requisite items appear in the catalog, so it would be interesting if this were correct.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
My vote for Road Rage is Cell phone, Monster Truck, and School Bus. Because who hasn't been driving their monster truck down the road only to get cut off by a bus driver chatting on his cell phone?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Fiendly posted:

Keep in mind that combos must include at least one item from the catalog that unlocked them, so these are not possible unfortunately. I'm pretty sure at least one item in each guess is right, though.

What are you talking about? GeneX's suggestion has the cards, which were unlocked in the current catalog.

I mean, it's probably not right, because the cards are unlocked early and the combo is pretty far down the list, but it's at least theoretically possible.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yep, my mistake. I was so set on the cigarettes being part of the combo that their exclusion blinded me to the rest of it. This is how combo mistakes happen, people! Doing these solo can be quite a mess, I was barely able to decipher the minimum number of combos my first time playing through.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Maybe you could try the Necronomicon, the smokes, and the pirate?
I have no idea how that would relate to any vices, but they all look pretty deadly to me... :shrug:

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 22, 2015

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Would caffeine be considered a Vice? There is that coffee cup, after all.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

The vices combo will surely include the midlife crisis mitigator and the glass cards. Drinking and gambling for sure. But I have no idea about the third.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I only just now caught this thread and am catching up (and can't advise combos given that I've played this game through repeatedly) but something in your First-Person Shopper video went unanswered: The Gentleman Adventurer, the fact he barfs out Bejeweled pieces when he dies, and the fact he's part of the Puzzling Adventure combo all point at him being a huge reference to Henry Hatsworth, which wasn't done by Tomorrow Corporation, but was co-designed by Kyle Gray, who is one of the main artists in Little Inferno.

Also, I can't be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that red 'aura'/disease that things get is some sort of flesh-eating bacteria. :unsmigghh:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 22, 2015

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
For the vices, I reckon... the low self esteem doll, the magic mushrooms and the stereo.

Sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Sorites posted:

The vices combo will surely include the midlife crisis mitigator and the glass cards. Drinking and gambling for sure. But I have no idea about the third.

Could be the mommy pills.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Looking over these, gonna go with Drinking, Smoking, and Gambling as the common vices - mid-life crisis mitigator, glass cards, and puff pack. Kind of the classic vices.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Existence, Now

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I only just got Yellow Brick Road today. I'd had a hunch about it, but it seemed like such a stretch that I ended up looking it up (don't know why, since there was no penalty for trying it out). It and Cold War are probably the two that most people will never consider on their own.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'd assume it's a Wizard of Oz Reference, so we've got one of the robots (tin man) and the scarecrow... what about a lion? Kitty Poo Poo?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Elfface posted:

I'd assume it's a Wizard of Oz Reference, so we've got one of the robots (tin man) and the scarecrow... what about a lion? Kitty Poo Poo?
It's got to be something from the current catalog, so probably the transhumanist figure (half tin, half man :v:).

also what just happened :f5h::stare:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

notoriousman posted:

It's got to be something from the current catalog, so probably the transhumanist figure (half tin, half man :v:).

When you consider the other combo involving him, it actually makes sense.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
"Little Inferno Entertainment Fireplace was designed to not matter."

One of my favourite lines in the game.

There's something that I find interesting about this game and it's about significance. Like, all the way through the game we've been burning items in ways Little Inferno Entertainment Fireplace (as opposed to the video game Little Inferno) finds significant: specific combos that it reacts to and rewards us for. But none of these combos actually have any significance - they're all bad puns or references to memes - cute, but only as a brief puzzle to be forgotten.

But in playing the game we meet someone else, and in interacting with her items gain significance they did not have in the game.

For example, back when I played Guild Wars they introduced a rare weapon called an Icy Dragon Sword. It was only possible to get it as an extremely rare drop from a specific enemy type in a specific place 15 minutes run from the nearest outpost.
I wanted one, and I spent days trying to farm one, and I never got one.
But a guildmate got one, and he gave it to me. And I don't think I'll ever forget that. It certainly did not Matter, not in the slightest, but it is significant to me.

The items you give Sweetie don't have any significance to the Fireplace, but they're the only ones in the middle of a sea of bad puns and jokes that do matter, that actually have any significance - the ones that tie you to another real human you met through the game. And when you combo them, the game can't handle real significance and breaks.

Also I just realised that if it had been Little Inferno Fireplace Entertainment it would be LIFE. As it is it's LIEF. But that doesn't matter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You shouldn't have burned that free hug coupon. It would have come in handy right about now.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'm of the "three companions" theory. I wanna say it's the robot parents (tin man), scarecrow (obvious), and kitty poo poo (lion). I specifically think it's the robot parents because you pointed out that the combination list had become inconsistent with one of the combos, that a piece didn't fit in with the sense of progression it tends to have. This could be another instance of that happening.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, that was trippy...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

liquidypoo posted:

I'm of the "three companions" theory. I wanna say it's the robot parents (tin man), scarecrow (obvious), and kitty poo poo (lion). I specifically think it's the robot parents because you pointed out that the combination list had become inconsistent with one of the combos, that a piece didn't fit in with the sense of progression it tends to have. This could be another instance of that happening.

Yeah but the transhumanist action figure fits literally for Tin Man; in the book he didn't start out a robot, he was a clumsy dumbass lumberjack who kept chopping bits off his own body until eventually he was all prosthesis (it gets a bit Ship of Theseus; in a later book it turns out someone saved his bits and glued them back together, and the new guy made of his old bits is dating his girlfriend). I guess it depends on if Tomorrow Corporation has actually read The Wizard of Oz or not.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Transhumanist Action Figure, Scarecrow, Bear?

traineehawking
Jan 29, 2008

For me, having sex with my girlfriend is about as exciting as eating a sandwich.
Is the bear the only thing that gets destroyed on contact with the bear trap?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Well... that certainly just happened.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

traineehawking posted:

Is the bear the only thing that gets destroyed on contact with the bear trap?

I think it was a fluke that the bear happened to fall apart when it touched the trap. Anything with movable pieces that isn't explosive will break down into its component parts if hit hard enough or sometimes just when it has a conflict with another physics object. In my testing just now, everything seemed to break apart the same way whether it was hitting a bear trap or just a wall.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

One thing I've never been sure as to if it was intentional or stylistic: None of those houses have doors.

Was there any other way to get out?

Come to think of it, didn't Sugar Plumps live right next door to us? Why was that house fully intact when it exploded two whole videos back?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 24, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

One thing I've never been sure as to if it was intentional or stylistic: None of those houses have doors.

Was there any other way to get out?

Come to think of it, didn't Sugar Plumps live right next door to us? Why was that house fully intact when it exploded two whole videos back?

she was on the other side of the fireplace, otherwise she would have had to turn to bang on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

• Locked thread