Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LorneReams posted:

Iggy would have been missing a head (unless I missed an obvious joke).

I thought she was missing through the whole movie, meaning she was one of the kidnappees who didn't agree with the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RennZero posted:

If you are talking about the villain's lair, I thought they pretty much nailed the old James Bond villain-lair aesthetic, right down to the maze of carved stone tunnels with the painted concrete flooring. Totally reminds me of Enter the Dragon, or Doctor No which actually was made on a shoe-string budget.
Absolutely, I loved those cheap rear end sets and I instantly recognized what they were going for. Really nothing else struck me as particularly skimpy, but I wasn't expecting some sort of award for set construction in a campy movie like this either.

Catman Begins posted:

I loved the Church scene but for the wrong reasons? I felt like it was a "you shouldn't be enjoying this" scene and I've never seen anything like it.
That's part of what makes it great; it's obviously a horrific thing going on and yet it's so entertaining. You're also set up for it based both on the villain's admitted phobia and the scene in the agent's bathroom. I think it's an intentional cognitive dissonance sort of thing, which is pretty rare for a silly popcorn flick.

I really can't wait for the GIFs to roll in from this movie, which is something I honestly never thought I would write.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CrashCat posted:

Absolutely, I loved those cheap rear end sets and I instantly recognized what they were going for. Really nothing else struck me as particularly skimpy, but I wasn't expecting some sort of award for set construction in a campy movie like this either.

That's part of what makes it great; it's obviously a horrific thing going on and yet it's so entertaining. You're also set up for it based both on the villain's admitted phobia and the scene in the agent's bathroom. I think it's an intentional cognitive dissonance sort of thing, which is pretty rare for a silly popcorn flick.

I really can't wait for the GIFs to roll in from this movie, which is something I honestly never thought I would write.

It's all about the webm/gifv now dude.

I've been thinking about The "kill the dog" scene and it really bothers me in the context of the rest of the training process. I can't help but feel that it should have been the complete opposite.

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 24, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Crain posted:

I've been thinking about The "kill the dog" scene and it really bothers me in the context of the rest of the training process. I can't help but feel that it should have been the complete opposite.
Yeah, that did throw me, especially after all the ragging on them about teamwork. I was expecting it to be the other way around, where the ones who went through with the deed were dismissed.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

I thought she was missing through the whole movie, meaning she was one of the kidnappees who didn't agree with the plan.

I got a bunch of issues with this movie already, but if it's as you suggest and Kingsman is implying that Iggy has scruples, that's a line that can't be un-crossed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Saw the movie and loved it. However I was confused about what happened in the beginning in 1997 Middle East. Did the guy they were interrogating have a grenade and Eggy's father sacrificed his life to save everybody?

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, that did throw me, especially after all the ragging on them about teamwork. I was expecting it to be the other way around, where the ones who went through with the deed were dismissed.

Me too. That was just strange.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

punk rebel ecks posted:

Saw the movie and loved it. However I was confused about what happened in the beginning in 1997 Middle East. Did the guy they were interrogating have a grenade and Eggy's father sacrificed his life to save everybody?
Yes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of was expecting a bit of a subversion of the scene where Eggsy considers the lies of the train and the parachute and expects the shoot the dog to be another trick/test, assumes the gun to be filled with blanks and freaking out when it turns out to be real.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of was expecting a bit of a subversion of the scene where Eggsy considers the lies of the train and the parachute and expects the shoot the dog to be another trick/test, assumes the gun to be filled with blanks and freaking out when it turns out to be real.

That would have been more interesting, but could you have your protagonist shoot a pug in the face?. Even if it was 'by accident' it would be a bit bloody horrible.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Catman Begins posted:

That would have been more interesting, but could you have your protagonist shoot a pug in the face?. Even if it was 'by accident' it would be a bit bloody horrible.

This is a movie with Colin Firth massacring a church full of (racist) civilians and ending on anal sex with a swedish princess... The answer is Yes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jonny Angel posted:

I got a bunch of issues with this movie already, but if it's as you suggest and Kingsman is implying that Iggy has scruples, that's a line that can't be un-crossed.

I was actually a little disappointed that apparently it was only Iggy Azalea, a Swedish Princess, and some number of unnamed celebrities who weren't down with the plan. It's the sort of situation like old cold war movies where mobsters and ne'er do wells help out the hero because, no matter their lengthy faults, they ain't no fuckin' commie.

Also I really wanted to see Patrick Stewart and Pierce Brosnan shooting guards like in the comic. But the pretty fireworks and smoke show was a nice alternative.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

VodeAndreas posted:

This is a movie with Colin Firth massacring a church full of (racist) civilians and ending on anal sex with a swedish princess... The answer is Yes.

I... think you might be underestimating the theater's love for cute doggies. Seriously, pets are on about the same level as babies/young children in your typical movie-goer's mind- even higher in some cases, since they're much cheaper and don't need anything besides food and some love. It would have been way too much a tonal shift for the movie to just up and have the main character blow a dog's brains out just because someone asked him to, even without the implications of dog=lower classes being discussed.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Wait where is the Iggy Azalea stuff coming from

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
She was mentioned in the beginning of the movie as being missing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LorneReams posted:

She was mentioned in the beginning of the movie as being missing.

And a couple of times in the middle. She also did the theme song for the movie.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ah I must have missed that

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

For some added context, Matthew Vaughn said in an interview with Empire that he originally planned to have the dog test with real bullets but Jane convinced him that they would lose the audience if the agents had to kill their dogs for a promotion and came up with the blanks and Harry's dog dying of pancreatitis instead. So it was definitely a concern for the writers.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I usually like fun movies but had a lot of distaste for Kingsman. For the record I walked into this with no knowledge of the comic:

-Jackson's character feels ridiculous. A rich nerd who's able to intimidate the top brass by.... what? Getting private meetings where his knife-legged assistant can threaten them? Because enough of the top brass are that enthusiastic about killing the people they already have sway over?

-Really Jackson's plot is something I'd expect from Austin Powers. Those who don't agree are disappeared, and those who do get a very visible mark to the chip in their brain with explosive capability nobody questions. They seem to indicate nobody realizes what the chip is for other than making them immune to the SIM cards, so does nobody know there's a threat if they talk? Why is it that important to blow someone's head up when you control the most important people in the world, if they talk you just have everyone else arrest or ignore them. I'm just going to skip over the logic of a kill-switch you need to sit and leave your hand on.

-Why would you want to train the kids to be prepared for anything, to work in a team, and to respect one another, only to ensure they're willing to kill a dog? The candidates already proved they were willing to sacrifice their own life to protect Kingsman. Why would being willing to kill the dog to follow orders even be the right decision? Why set up the new Lancelot as someone totally heartless? Not to mention the idea that all the tests had been 'controlled, no harm, that one girl was on our effects team' after giving the kids reason to fall to their deaths.

-It was fun seeing Lancelot beat the main character at killing a dog only to be shunted off for the rest of the movie.

-The main character's mother receives a call from someone she's never met telling her to lock her baby in a bathroom and throw away the key. Meanwhile all other mothers were free to take their babies and throw them out windows, but at least the main character's sibling is alright. And now we can safely ignore Lancelot for the remainder of the movie. It's nice to know after a major portion of the population presumably experienced terrible things, all goes back to normal and the mother still hangs out with her abusive boyfriend until her son saves her.

-Jackson gets Galahad to drink tracking fluid which tells Jackson.... literally nothing, because he already has Michael Caine under control. And then Galahad gets Jackson to wear a tracking-hat which.... also does literally nothing because Galahad then proceeds to go right to the church he already knew about anyway.

-Oh look we're making a whole lot of movie references, call-outs to how bad guys monologue and phones in shoes and look at this evil mountain fortress with a cave dungeon right out of every spy movie ever. I read one review which suggested this movie meta's itself far too much and I couldn't agree more. It felt weird having some really cool locations followed up by really lovely ones.

-The bar and church fight scenes were nice, I felt they could have used some longer shots in there but they made fun scenes. Alternatively the fight with Gazelle and the javelin to Jackson both felt pretty bad, including waiting for the shoeblade from the start of the fight. o well lol buttsecks

I really don't hate fun, I just couldn't willfully ignore the movie logic with Kingsman and it felt that way pretty consistently.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Atoramos posted:

I really don't hate fun, I just couldn't willfully ignore the movie logic with Kingsman and it felt that way pretty consistently.
If you're thinking about those things while all that craziness is going on screen you might be just too uptight about movies to enjoy this one. It's a goofball throwback movie with a new coat of paint and a few buzzy ideas thrown in to keep up some pretense of interest around why all the funny spy poo poo is happening. This is a lighter movie, and the spy cliche references are part of that, as well as not spending hours hand wringing every detail of how the villain gets his villainy on.

If you want to see a gripping, detailed thriller spy movie with intense drama, don't go to see Kingsman. If you want a fun bit of schlock with a couple interesting ideas and some really kick rear end action scenes then go to see Kingsman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Atoramos posted:

-Jackson gets Galahad to drink tracking fluid which tells Jackson.... literally nothing, because he already has Michael Caine under control. And then Galahad gets Jackson to wear a tracking-hat which.... also does literally nothing because Galahad then proceeds to go right to the church he already knew about anyway.

What makes you think Jackson got to Arthur before he slipped the tracker in Galahad's wine? They don't meet again until Jackson surprises Galahad at the tailors. No reason he couldn't have visited Arthur first. In fact it makes more sense considering his tracker would show a tailor shop and an estate as the places Galahad went.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

CrashCat posted:

It's a goofball throwback movie with a new coat of paint and a few buzzy ideas thrown in to keep up some pretense of interest around why all the funny spy poo poo is happening.

Austin Powers is upfront about being nonsensical, and doesn't take itself the least bit seriously. Bond has always taken itself somewhat seriously, with a usual hint of the nonsensical. Kingsman drew a line between the two in such a way I guess I just couldn't get into it. The headpopping scene is just as nutty as Powers' steamroller scene, but for some reason felt far more out of place in this film. I feel like I would have the same complaints about Austin Powers if there were suddenly serious 'shoot the dog' scenes in it.

Gyges posted:

What makes you think Jackson got to Arthur before he slipped the tracker in Galahad's wine?

Yea, I suppose this is a good point. I thought Arthur said something to the effect he was Jackson's pocket from the start but I could be mistaken. It's a little odd that Arthur could be so swayed by a man he knows killed his agents for the 'good of stopping overpopulation'. Especially since Arthur would have known about the chip's head-exploding capabilities. But he ends up dying to the ole' drink switcheroo anyways which was more of the same meta bullshit, why can't I just give this movie a mental pass?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

I... think you might be underestimating the theater's love for cute doggies. Seriously, pets are on about the same level as babies/young children in your typical movie-goer's mind- even higher in some cases, since they're much cheaper and don't need anything besides food and some love. It would have been way too much a tonal shift for the movie to just up and have the main character blow a dog's brains out just because someone asked him to, even without the implications of dog=lower classes being discussed.

Eh, I reckon they could get away with it as long as they cut away for the shot itself, especially if Eggsy is appropriately pissed off thinking it was a fake out like the other tests, either way I'm glad they had him lose that particular challenge and Roxy winning instead.

Did Roxy have a larger or smaller role in the original material? It felt like bits were cut out of her story, I know the focus was on Eggsy but it still felt like there should have been a bit more on her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

resurgam40 posted:

I always loved the story around "A Fish Called Wanda". People were horrified, offended, etc, at Michael Palin's character continually (albeit accidentally) killing several small dogs. Many found it in poor taste. But none of them ever complained that his character was supposed to be killing an old woman. That they were fine with.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Atoramos posted:

Yea, I suppose this is a good point. I thought Arthur said something to the effect he was Jackson's pocket from the start but I could be mistaken. It's a little odd that Arthur could be so swayed by a man he knows killed his agents for the 'good of stopping overpopulation'. Especially since Arthur would have known about the chip's head-exploding capabilities. But he ends up dying to the ole' drink switcheroo anyways which was more of the same meta bullshit, why can't I just give this movie a mental pass?

He's so easily convinced because he's an rear end in a top hat who has bought into class distinction. It's the reason almost all the politicians and powerful people bought in, they think they're better and they get to start over without all that riff raff. Additionally they are being presented with a plan that is already in it's final stages. Valentine isn't asking them to help him do this, he's telling them that it's happening and offering them a chance to jump on board. So those who are privileged but corrupt jump in with both feet while those who aren't corrupt refuse to go along. So snobbish dicks like Arthur and the guy who sold out the Kingsmen in the last test are more than happy to join up.

It is interesting that whether you turn down Valentine or not you still seem to be slated to survive the apocalypse. Swedish Princess wasn't the only gilded cell in the arc of assholes.

VodeAndreas posted:

Did Roxy have a larger or smaller role in the original material? It felt like bits were cut out of her story, I know the focus was on Eggsy but it still felt like there should have been a bit more on her.

In the comic there was neither a Roxy nor dogs. In fact the new recruit class was still full when the plan went down. Since the villain had infiltrated an unknown number of agencies and power structures Eggsy had to get the rest of his class to go on the raid with him. Also the Merlin character was the one who was in on the plan instead of an Arthur character, Galahad was killed after loving the Bond Villain's girlfriend for information and then answering the door thinking it was room service, and Eggsy and his team were unable to stop the satellites. Instead they changed the frequency so instead of everyone being hyper aggressive they were hyper horny. Since Eggsy had already beat the poo poo out his step dad, we got a scene where the step dad was stuck in a hospital bed while everyone else had sex and no one touched him.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.

Crain posted:

Speaking of trigger discipline:

There's a funny gaff in the scene where Eggsy is supposed to shoot the dog: You can clearly see his finger is behind the trigger of the gun in one of the close up shots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that particular gun was the standard issue Kingsman one, which Galahad mentions has an under-barrel shotgun. There was a second trigger, probably for the shotgun shell.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

He's so easily convinced because he's an rear end in a top hat who has bought into class distinction.
Ironically, it seems like the movie is presenting the upper class as so stupid and debased that killing all of them is awesome.

Like obviously Eggsy comes up with the idea to save his own skin, but then the movie basically gives us a scene where it says "wouldn't it be awesome if we blew up all the rich people?"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So wait, when :swoon: Mark Strong :swoon: activates the neck-bombs to save Eggsy, why didn't Gazelle's neck-bomb go off? The Kingsmen established that she has one in order to track Valentine, so did she pull it out when they noticed the neck-bombs were going off? Which I think was a great nod to killing off the 1% by the way

So does Eggsy take Galahad's spot as a Kingsman by default since he made it most of the way through training? Also who takes over for Arthur?

Also, I'm really loving this new trend of older actors being cast as action heroes, does this just mean that young actors are just unbelievable at being tough?

Last question: I've seen reviewers write that the final scene is a nod to a Bond scene but which one? Is it a specific film moment or is it just a general JAMES BOND IS A SEX HAVER scene.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 26, 2015

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

red19fire posted:

Last question: I've seen reviewers write that the final scene is a nod to a Bond scene but which one? Is it a specific film moment or is it just a general JAMES BOND IS A SEX HAVER scene.

Pre-Daniel Craig Bond films almost always used to end with some sort of goofy double entendre:

The Spy Who Loved Me: "Just keeping the British end up"
Moonraker: "I think he's attempting re-entry"
The World is Not Enough: "I thought Christmas only came once a year" (Denise Richards played a nuclear scientist named Christmas Jones - you get to pick the worst part of that sentence)

Also, I've done a pretty god job entirely erasing Die Another Day from my memory but according to IMDB these are seriously the last lines:

Jinx: Wait, don't pull it out. I'm not finished with it yet.
James Bond: See? It's a perfect fit.
Jinx: Uh-hm. Leave it in.
James Bond: It's gotta come out sooner or later.
Jinx: No, leave it in, please. Few more minutes?
James Bond: We really have to get these back.
Jinx: Still the good guys, huh?
James Bond: I'm still not quite sure how good you are.
Jinx: I am so good.
James Bond: Especially when you're bad.

So yeah, compared to that "you can do me in the rear end in a top hat" can really only be considered a stark improvement.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The only good thing about this movie is that it won't stand the test of time, and will be forgotten once visuals and cast don't seem so impressive, like so many movies that got great reviews in their time but aren't worth watching now. This movie is bad in a cringeworthy way that betrays a immature worldview of those who made it. It's full of stereotypes, and the decisions behind each scene are bizarre. Goons have awful taste. Anyone who enjoyed this hates fun by being content with such bad work.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 26, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Gyges posted:

The lisp wasn't there for one joke, it was there to reinforce the idea that Valentine was like Eggy. An outsider who forced their way into the company of the aristocracy/rich. However unlike Eggy, Valentine thought he was part of the rich/aristocracy/powerful instead of an interloper tolerated despite the objections of the rest. The McDonalds and expensive wine scene was similar. Both additionally worked to support the idea that Valentine was a nerdy dork manchild.

I kinda wonder about this, because I mostly agree with it but kinda feel doubtful that he was seen as an outsider by them. Because Arthur ended up being a outsider who worked his way up as well, and he is the living breathing embodiment of class. Pretty much anyone competent and who 'embodies' different aspects of wealth and influence, either don't see social mobility as a problem or were poor at one point themselves. All the other candidates outside of Iggy and Lancelot are inept idiots, the rich at the party are clueless idiots easily manipulated by Valentine and practically worship him, and hell Arthur for no reason other than 'respect' offer Iggy a spot at the agency and a handpicked survivor for Valentine's new world.

It seems to be saying poo poo like the American Dream is necessary two way street for good and evil. Old money needs new money to both innovate/protect them, but even more importantly placate their inner doubts. Valentine is a genius, a visionary, gently caress he's loving NOAH! And he's saying you are important. You are elite few. And you earned it. These people bleeding and dying for you? Well their martyrs but ultimately not their well being isn't as important as yours. Valentine was one of them was one of them at one point, maybe you where at one point too. If they deserved what you deserved, a spot in this cool hidden party bunker, they would be here.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So Kingsman is apparently immature, tasteless and ridiculously violent? And it's based on a comic? I knew even before I looked it up that it would be by Mark Millar, and I was right.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Martman posted:

Ironically, it seems like the movie is presenting the upper class as so stupid and debased that killing all of them is awesome.

Like obviously Eggsy comes up with the idea to save his own skin, but then the movie basically gives us a scene where it says "wouldn't it be awesome if we blew up all the rich people?"

The movie went out of it's way to be a little obtuse on the issue, but there are clearly lots of rich people who were in the cells. The only ones walking around are those who bought into the plan. Remember there are several news reports about missing famous/rich/powerful people. Unfortunately the only one we see is the Swedish princess.

It's also worth noting that the movie was equally dismissive of the lower classes. Eggsy, and probably his father, are the only ones making a change for the better. Everyone else is part of Eggsy's step dad's hoodlum gang and are shown with nothing but contempt. The message of the movie is that class and money are irrelevant, it's what you do. Galahad, Merlin, Roxy, and Eggsy are the only ones shown in a good light, and they are the ones shown to be truly egalitarian. Also Galahad's entire lesson for Eggsy was about personal drive. It's not without it's problems, but the message is more nuanced than either gently caress the rich or gently caress the poor.

red19fire posted:

So wait, when :swoon: Mark Strong :swoon: activates the neck-bombs to save Eggsy, why didn't Gazelle's neck-bomb go off? The Kingsmen established that she has one in order to track Valentine, so did she pull it out when they noticed the neck-bombs were going off? Which I think was a great nod to killing off the 1% by the way

She didn't have one. They used micro trackers that they placed in order to do the tracking.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I kinda wonder about this, because I mostly agree with it but kinda feel doubtful that he was seen as an outsider by them. Because Arthur ended up being a outsider who worked his way up as well, and he is the living breathing embodiment of class. Pretty much anyone competent and who 'embodies' different aspects of wealth and influence, either don't see social mobility as a problem or were poor at one point themselves. All the other candidates outside of Iggy and Lancelot are inept idiots, the rich at the party are clueless idiots easily manipulated by Valentine and practically worship him, and hell Arthur for no reason other than 'respect' offer Iggy a spot at the agency and a handpicked survivor for Valentine's new world.

It seems to be saying poo poo like the American Dream is necessary two way street for good and evil. Old money needs new money to both innovate/protect them, but even more importantly placate their inner doubts. Valentine is a genius, a visionary, gently caress he's loving NOAH! And he's saying you are important. You are elite few. And you earned it. These people bleeding and dying for you? Well their martyrs but ultimately not their well being isn't as important as yours. Valentine was one of them was one of them at one point, maybe you where at one point too. If they deserved what you deserved, a spot in this cool hidden party bunker, they would be here.

When did Arthur turn out to be an outsider working his way up? Galahad was the only Kingsman bringing in candidates from the lower classes. Everyone else was from a privileged upbringing, chosen by someone from a privileged upbringing.

As for Valentine, remember that at the end he asks where everyone is at. Most of the rich and powerful refused to be with him at the end of the world, instead staying with their own. The only people at his bunker appear to be the new rich and the not so powerful. The exceptions are the Swedish Prime Minister and the rich rear end in a top hat from the recruits.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Gyges posted:

When did Arthur turn out to be an outsider working his way up? Galahad was the only Kingsman bringing in candidates from the lower classes. Everyone else was from a privileged upbringing, chosen by someone from a privileged upbringing.

The beginning of the movie had him actually being chastised for this.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A couple of thoughts on the Church scene:

Plot spoiler: Some countries are choosing to censor specific areas of the film. The most obvious part is the church scene. According to a friend of mine who watched it in Indonesia, instead of the slaughter we see it essentially cuts to Galahad (I think - Colin Firth if I'm wrong) walking out of the church drenched in blood. My friend, having watched both versions, actually preferred the censored version due to how much it leaves out. Galahad comes out of the church with a far more menacing undertone because you can't truly see what he did.

Mechanical spoiler: I loved just how fast-paced the action was, and how quick Galahad was switching from target to target. On a second watching through it's painfully clear they had Firth perform slow-motion transitions, before speeding it up in post. Think I'll be annoyed by that in the future.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gyges posted:

She didn't have one. They used micro trackers that they placed in order to do the tracking.

I could have sworn there was a point where [spooiler]the Kingsmen stopped a video of Valentine's speaking, zoomed in on Gazelle and said "Look, she's got the same scar on her neck as Mark Hamill." I thought that's what made them start figuring out Valentine's world domination plan.[/spoiler]

:shrug: Not like it matters.

VVV Ah, ok. Made sense to me to have a cell-phone rage inhibitor on Gazelle of all people.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 26, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

red19fire posted:

I could have sworn there was a point where [spooiler]the Kingsmen stopped a video of Valentine's speaking, zoomed in on Gazelle and said "Look, she's got the same scar on her neck as Mark Hamill." I thought that's what made them start figuring out Valentine's world domination plan.[/spoiler]

:shrug: Not like it matters.

No, that was some VP of Valentine's company who was giving some speech.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

LorneReams posted:

The beginning of the movie had him actually being chastised for this.

When he dies, his accent changes when cursing out Iggy.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

NutritiousSnack posted:

When he dies, his accent changes when cursing out Iggy.

I liked that, like true colors coming out at the end.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

The movie went out of it's way to be a little obtuse on the issue, but there are clearly lots of rich people who were in the cells. The only ones walking around are those who bought into the plan. Remember there are several news reports about missing famous/rich/powerful people. Unfortunately the only one we see is the Swedish princess.
I still think that, just by making so many of the upper class people go along with the dumb plan, the message is essentially "most of the 1% are ridiculously evil and so killing them all would be super awesome."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So what do you think the reactions would've been if that final scene had been Lancelot snapping on a strap-on instead.

• Locked thread