Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lt. Danger posted:

Valentine is an old, bespectacled nerd with a lisp; he's effete. He's not a scary black man, you racist.
Its Samuel L. freaking Jackson. You think they hired him by complete accident? "poo poo, I meant to hire Laurence Fishburne. Oh well, Mr. Jackson has already been on set, lets just keep going with this."

quote:

Obama is the current American president. Who else are they going to use, a resurrected Nixon?
So just a generic white guy as presdient is impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

So just a generic white guy as presdient is impossible?

What do you have against black people as American presidents?

I suppose a white guy with Bill Clinton's accent would have been OK, considering he was the first black president.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Its Samuel L. freaking Jackson. You think they hired him by complete accident? "poo poo, I meant to hire Laurence Fishburne. Oh well, Mr. Jackson has already been on set, lets just keep going with this."

Yeah, it's a nice piece of casting. Like casting Henry Fonda as a cold blooded killer in "Once Upon a Time in the West"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lt. Danger posted:

Where the film lets itself down most is in Eggsy's transformation into upper-class Galahad at the end, when instead he should have (for example) been able to switch between working-class and upper-class modes at will.

But doesn't he? He still does the chav thingy and he breaks character when the princess suggests buggery.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think (leftist) anarchism has much in common with bourgeois leftish liberalism, so it shouldn't necessarily be a surprise that the film disapproves of middle-class: global warming activists; academics with esoteric ideologies; the American Democratic Party, etc. Where the film lets itself down most is in Eggsy's transformation into upper-class Galahad at the end, when instead he should have (for example) been able to switch between working-class and upper-class modes at will.

He does though. He's still swearing like a dock worker at the end of it. He is the best of both worlds, and he isn't in denial like Michael Caine's character was.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But doesn't he? He still does the chav thingy and he breaks character when the princess suggests buggery.

But is it really breaking character for a chav to engage in buggery?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Fulchrum posted:

Is a character who vomits at the sight of blood a scary person? Jackson is playing against type specifically for meta-humour, not because Valentine and the Samuel L Jackson 'persona' are similar.

I think "scary black man" has specific socioeconomic connotations which Samuel L Jackson doesn't meet in this film. In fact he embodies pretty much the opposite of what is meant by "scary black man."

quote:

He does though. He's still swearing like a dock worker at the end of it. He is the best of both worlds, and he isn't in denial like Michael Caine's character was.

Swearing isn't a class thing though (unless you're middle-class)?

I'm thinking specifically of the final scene in the pub, where he's completed adopted the mode and manner of Colin Firth, down to the words he uses. Maybe I'm misremembering but it's a scene that shows his transformation as complete - and the finished article is an aristocrat. He's left his old life behind him and wants his mum to come with him too. The implication is clear: a hero wears a suit, not trackie bottoms.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Is a character who vomits at the sight of blood a scary person? Jackson is playing against type specifically for meta-humour, not because Valentine and the Samuel L Jackson 'persona' are similar.

I think "scary black man" has specific socioeconomic connotations which Samuel L Jackson doesn't meet in this film. In fact he embodies pretty much the opposite of what is meant by "scary black man."

Swearing isn't a class thing though (unless you're middle-class)?

I'm thinking specifically of the final scene in the pub, where he's completed adopted the mode and manner of Colin Firth, down to the words he uses. Maybe I'm misremembering but it's a scene that shows his transformation as complete - and the finished article is an aristocrat. He's left his old life behind him and wants his mum to come with him too. The implication is clear: a hero wears a suit, not trackie bottoms.

You could also read it as maturity. That accent and voice is the product of education, not breeding, and the film makes that point more than once. He's finally an adult, confronting the man-children who are in a state of arrested development.
Or, it's not that he's adopted the guise of an aristocrat, but Galahad himself, his mentor. Galahad is quite specifically and emphatically not a snob.
Plus, suits are better than track pants. This is a fact.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 3, 2015

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

What could possibly be scarier than a genocidal black man?

An "angry black man"?

Snowman_McK posted:

You could also read it as maturity. That accent and voice is the product of education, not breeding, and the film makes that point more than once. He's finally an adult, confronting the man-children who are in a state of arrested development.
Plus, suits are better than track pants. This is a fact.

The film also makes the point that adults who are well educated are also willing to genocide pretty much the entire human species.

I'm not entirely sure that there is a legitimate lesson to be learned from this film.

I also don't know what killing a companion that trusts you completely is meant to prove (even if there were blanks in the gun). Unless the goal was to get Eggy to shoot at the guy that commanded him to do so. I mean, if a reason had been given, maybe I could understand it a little more, but telling someone to shoot a dog he had been tending to for years seems a little bizarre. And I'm saying years because there's no way someone could become that competent in a matter of days or months.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 3, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jakcson posted:

The film also makes the point that adults who are well educated are also willing to genocide pretty much the entire human species.
Those are stupidly rich and powerful are willing to genocide the entire human species. Education doesn't really come into it, unless you directly equate going to Cambridge with "good education" as opposed to "expensive education'

quote:

I'm not entirely sure that there is a legitimate lesson to be learned from this film.
I suspect this is right. Other than 'suits are cool'

quote:

I also don't know what killing a companion that trusts you completely is meant to prove (even if there were blanks in the gun). Unless the goal was to get Eggy to shoot at the guy that commanded him to do so. I mean, if a reason had been given, maybe I could understand it a little more, but telling someone to shoot a dog he had been tending to for years seems a little bizarre.
Yeah, I thought they were going to subvert it. It's a bit of a spy/action movie trope. I thought that refusing would be a pass. "We wouldn't want someone who takes life without a good reason." It's just a cliche played straight in a film that subverts pretty much all the others.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Jakcson posted:

I also don't know what killing a companion that trusts you completely is meant to prove (even if there were blanks in the gun). Unless the goal was to get Eggy to shoot at the guy that commanded him to do so. I mean, if a reason had been given, maybe I could understand it a little more, but telling someone to shoot a dog he had been tending to for years seems a little bizarre. And I'm saying years because there's no way someone could become that competent in a matter of days or months.

The PURPOSE of the test is pretty clear: you demonstrate your loyalty to your superiors and the Kingsmen by doing what is required of you, even if it means going against your own personal feelings. You show that you are trusting that the organization as a whole is good. That trust, of course, would subsequently be rewarded since the gun held blanks.

However, Eggsy refused to pull the trigger, and that turns out to be the right choice - after all, his superiors turn out to not be morally superior, with Arthur actually joining the 'bad guys'.

The test itself seems strange because the whole "put your conscience aside and do as your told" motif is something bad guys usually require of their minions - not good guys. That's why it seems strange for the Kingsmen test to be passed only when you do this. But it's also the fact that Eggsy doesn't go for it that makes him a 'good guy' to the audience.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 3, 2015

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Soul Reaver posted:

The PURPOSE of the test is pretty clear: you demonstrate your loyalty to your superiors and the Kingsmen by doing what is required of you, even if it means going against your own personal feelings. You show that you are trusting that the organization as a whole is good. That trust, of course, would subsequently be rewarded since the gun held blanks.

However, Eggsy refused to pull the trigger, and that turns out to be the right choice - after all, his superiors turn out to not be morally superior, with Arthur actually joining the 'bad guys'.

The test itself seems strange because the whole "put your conscience aside and do as your told" motif is something bad guys usually require of their minions - not good guys. That's why it seems strange for the Kingsmen test to be passed only when you do this. But it's also the fact that Eggsy doesn't go for it that makes him a 'good guy' to the audience.

So it's basically this kind of test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eSwq1ewsU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jakcson posted:

But is it really breaking character for a chav to engage in buggery?

On the other hand, would a gentleman disregard the wishes of a princess?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Gyges posted:

On the other hand, would a gentleman disregard the wishes of a princess?

If he didn't want to get hepatitis or GRID... yes.

Do gentlemen really think vaginas are icky?

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 3, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jakcson posted:

So it's basically this kind of test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eSwq1ewsU

More like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cSFyZOfy6U&t=188s

Supposedly, the SS used to raise German Shepards from puppy to grown dog as part of their training and killing them. It started getting attributed to almost every special forces unit.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Supposedly, the SS used to raise German Shepards from puppy to grown dog as part of their training and killing them. It started getting attributed to almost every special forces unit.

This is actually a lie spread by Soviet propagandists.

What really happened was that the SS were required to rip apart a Jewish baby with their bare hands as part of their training, tan the skin with baby brains, and stitch together a wallet using the entrails and shattered bones, and they always kept this wallet with them throughout their careers, so they would always remember how far they were willing to go for the Master Race.

Which is nowhere near as bad as how during WW II, American Marines were known to eat living Japanese babies and store the blood of Japanese women in their canteens, as they loved the taste of human flesh.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 3, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jakcson posted:

He was quite happy about the royal vagina, but then he went and saved the world. Actions have consequences and he was forced into risky behavior.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jakcson posted:

Of all the people who are likely to give you hepatitis or HIV, a Swedish princess is not at the top of the list.

Also, a true gentleman never suggests anal, but never refuses it when offered. :colbert:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Jakcson posted:

An "angry black man"?

I'm not really sure of your point. Jackson's race seems largely incidental to his character, which strikes me as exactly what you'd want in any character, to not be defined by a racial attribute. The fact that he is playing against type, a mirror to Colin Firth who is doing the same, just adds some extra juice to the steak that is this film.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, I see the thread has independently arrived at my highly regarded "anal gentleman" theory,

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Jakcson posted:

An "angry black man"?

In the eyes of many white middle-class Americans, yes.

"Scary black man" is a particular racist archetype and it's incorrect to say Valentine is a scary black man when he isn't. He's very specifically a Steve Jobs figure, not a criminal/politically radical, physically/socially/sexually intimidating, loud and angry lower-class black American who might drive down house prices, sleep with your daughter and be upset about hundreds of years of racism and slavery.

What's interesting is Gazelle appears to be a Hispanic domestic servant. Eggsy : Galahad :: Gazelle : Valentine? Working-class commandos facing off against one another at the behest of their upper-class overlords - one version American, one British?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Lt. Danger posted:

What's interesting is Gazelle appears to be a Hispanic domestic servant. Eggsy : Galahad :: Gazelle : Valentine? Working-class commandos facing off against one another at the behest of their upper-class overlords - one version American, one British?

If she's the same as her actor, then she'd actually be Algerian - which can still work, being a former colonial territory and thus often seen as being 'behind' western nations. Valentine may have provided her a rare opportunity for some work, and really, who'd pass up on high power cyborg legs?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

In the eyes of many white middle-class Americans, yes.

"Scary black man" is a particular racist archetype and it's incorrect to say Valentine is a scary black man when he isn't. He's very specifically a Steve Jobs figure, not a criminal/politically radical, physically/socially/sexually intimidating, loud and angry lower-class black American who might drive down house prices, sleep with your daughter and be upset about hundreds of years of racism and slavery.

You really don't think it is scary when a black man attempts to genocide the entire human race?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Jakcson posted:

You really don't think it is scary when a black man attempts to genocide the entire human race?

"Scary black man" was originally invoked in reference to the racist conservative archetype, which has little to do with genocide. It doesn't mean 'a black man who is scary'.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Jakcson posted:

I'd think it would be scary if any person of any race attempted to genocide the entire human race hth

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also, a true gentleman never suggests anal, but never refuses it when offered. :colbert:

Username post combooooooooooo :eyepop:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jakcson posted:

What if I told you that actually, it's cool and good

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Jonny Angel posted:

What if I told you that actually, it's cool and good

And I would respond by yawning and posting about how I'm yawning in response to your post.

It just wasn't edgy enough.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

quote:

SCARY BLACK MEN

The future of movie casting:

quote:

Wanted: accomplished actor to play the antagonist in a multimilliondollar blockbuster. In line with our deep commitment to social justice, and owing to the fact that to ever cast one as the villain would be to stereotype them, negroes need not apply.

Kingsman was one of the most genuinely fun movies I've been to in years, and probably the one that made me laugh longest, and loudest. I was a fan of the comic when it was released, and while the film isn't a 1:1 adaptation it captures enough of the spirit while filing off enough of Millar's rough edges to make it something that I'm actually considering seeing in the theater twice. The Church scene is such a beautiful ballet of violence, and all-in-all it straddles the line between tongue-in-cheek self-awareness and outright farce wonderfully.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 7, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just going to put the kibosh on this right now, if you think Samuel L. Jackson's character is a scary black man solely because he is both the film's villain and also black, you're more racist than the movie was. This is a really stupid debate to be having.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
*On screen an effete man in a pink shirt lisps his way from scene to scene: serving McDonald's to guests with a childlike spirit, swooning at the sight of blood, and approaching the violent aspects of his role with comedic gingerness*

CineD poster: "BY JOVE! The terrifying barbarism of this tribesman truly knows no bounds! I had thought this race of people's savagery to be a noble one, however I'll not make that mistake again lest I eat my pith helmet!"

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Breetai posted:

*On screen an effete man in a pink shirt lisps his way from scene to scene: serving McDonald's to guests with a childlike spirit, swooning at the sight of blood, and approaching the violent aspects of his role with comedic gingerness*

CineD poster: "BY JOVE! The terrifying barbarism of this tribesman truly knows no bounds! I had thought this race of people's savagery to be a noble one, however I'll not make that mistake again lest I eat my pith helmet!"

If Michael Jackson had played the same role, I would have considered him to be a scary white man.

:ghost:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He's not a scary black man, but he is an effeminate environmental liberal elitist- among 1% figures he's definitely coded closer to Soros or Gates than Koch or Murdoch. (The idea that environmental policies are the first step to cullings and feudalism is kinda common.) The central "class vs conduct" theme- trying to reclaim manners and aesthetics from caste- was well done but then you had goofy "political satire" like the church full of howling bigots. I guess that's so you won't feel too bad when Colin Firth kills them all but it's so out of place.

I like the bits that feel like a modern Avengers episode but the "edgier" stuff doesn't quite fit, and some bits of the story feel underserved (like the theoretical female lead who feels like she had more to do in the script or the comic). A little sloppy, but I will give it points for Colin Firth as John Steed / Obi-Wan Kenobi.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just came from the screening, didn't know anything about it beforehand except for having seen a trailer once.

Thought it had so much going on for it: great cast, good writing and directing, interesting theme, sharp editing, BEST FIGHT SEQUENCE CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING I HAD EVER SEEN, great and memorable sequences all around.... but really went off track in the third act. Mainly, the fights with absolutely useless stormtroopers in the end had no gravitas, it felt like some FPS endgame filler. They even winged the technology such as missile technology of all sorts, it just felt cheap and rushed. The anal sex stuff was wrong and out of place in the context of the rest of the movie.

Good movie, which is a shame, because it came so close to being great.

Caros
May 14, 2008

pigdog posted:

The anal sex stuff was wrong and out of place in the context of the rest of the movie.

Good movie, which is a shame, because it came so close to being great.

I don't see how you can really say this. Kingsman is pretty blatantly a nod to the bond films of earlier generations, films where the gentleman hero always gets the girl. The film takes this concept to the same over the top conclusion as it does everything else, making her a nordic princess seriously lacking in inhibitions, while also throwing in the more racy elements that modern cinema gets away with. The whole scene is a tongue in cheek "This is what Bond always classily cut away from, but this isn't a Bond film bitches" spoof.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Caros posted:

I don't see how you can really say this. Kingsman is pretty blatantly a nod to the bond films of earlier generations, films where the gentleman hero always gets the girl. The film takes this concept to the same over the top conclusion as it does everything else, making her a nordic princess seriously lacking in inhibitions, while also throwing in the more racy elements that modern cinema gets away with. The whole scene is a tongue in cheek "This is what Bond always classily cut away from, but this isn't a Bond film bitches" spoof.

Exactly! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQaNZ1KKehs

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I loved the "Colorful bad guy" line.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I took the princess-related scene at the end was that Hey, a beautiful woman promised me sex if I saved the world, I wound up saving the world. Having sex with a beautiful woman is more fun than not having sex with a beautiful woman, so I'm going to do it.

It would have been awkward/uncomfortable if the movie played up a romantic angle with whats-her-face, but they didn't.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

MisterBibs posted:

I took the princess-related scene at the end was that Hey, a beautiful woman promised me sex if I saved the world, I wound up saving the world. Having sex with a beautiful woman is more fun than not having sex with a beautiful woman, so I'm going to do it.

That is the character's logic. But the character is not a real person - this is not a documentary, this did not actually happen. So the more interesting issue is why the screenwriter/director/everyone involved created this scenario. That is what the discussion is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Loved:

Killing a bunch of religious zealots in the South Yesssssssssss.
The girl with the blade legs. Holy poo poo she was gorgeous and a fun character. Where did she come from?
SLJ lines: "What the gently caress?!" When stuff wasn't going as planned.
Did I mention the killing the zealots in the South yet? Couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people.
"The honor is not in being being better than your lessors, but better than who you were before"
Colin Firth
Your Head Asplode
A butt at the end

Didn't like:
He was still a dickhead at the end of the movie :smug: "Are we going to stand around or are we going to fight?" Did he learn NOTHING?
I like butts, but come on, it was over the top and silly and otherwise marred a good movie. We get it, he wins.
The baby crying in the bathroom. That was sad and I knew she was gonna be OK but it was still scary. :(
The blade leg girl dying that way. Laaaaame. She was too hot/skilled to go out to POISON. Ah well.

Ultimately a fun movie and would definitely recommend!

• Locked thread