Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coathat
May 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

Do you feel that the Kingsman organisation were good men? They were murderers, secret police operating without oversight, an archaic and corrupt entity that was justly destroyed over the course of the film.

The whole film leads up to Eggsy appropriating the tools of the upper class in order to wipe it out, making sure that the people that saw the cull as necessary were also the first victims of it (transforming the act from immoral to moral, rather than actually stopping it).

The cull was nessicary and now the human race is doomed to extinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

Logical conclusion: she was a plant, an employee of Kingsman, put there on purpose to "die" and make them think that they could actually be killed during training.

There is literally a line at the end of the movie that states she was from the Kingsman data center in Germany, and was just acting dead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GORDON posted:

There is literally a line at the end of the movie that states she was from the Kingsman data center in Germany, and was just acting dead.

But can we trust the newly inducted agent who says that? She did just tey to murder her dog, possibly successfully.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

coathat posted:

The cull was successful. Every conspirator and however many people can die in 10 minutes of carnage died.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coathat posted:

Nothing in the film actually supports the belief that the cull is necessary. Just the word of a literal super villain and the fact that the rich overwhelmingly agreed to kill the poor.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

GORDON posted:

I know, but since sassassin apparently doesn't believe that to be the case, I was pointing out other evidence.

sassassin posted:

But can we trust the newly inducted agent who says that? She did just tey to murder her dog, possibly successfully.

Case in point.

It wasn't the new agent, it was Galahad who said that.

Also, if Kingsman is so evil, why don't they just shoot Eggsy when he fails the final test? After all, he could go on to tell everybody in the world about the super-secret spy organization who tried to recruit him. (As that other trainee did, by the way.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Sassassin feels like someone took SMG's ball, dropped it down a well, then kept running, insisting it was still there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

Sassassin feels like someone took SMG's ball, dropped it down a well, then kept running, insisting it was still there.

Arts degrees ftw.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Man, this movie was bad. I was put off from the opening sequence and it just kept getting worse as it went on. The way they clearly sped up the fight scene in the church to make Colin Firth look more badass was just distracting and the scene in general just wasn't that great, but I'm willing to concede that I've just been spoiled on action scenes due to the amount of times I've watched both of The Raid films.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Arts degrees ftw.

To be fair, arguing about movies on the internet is about the most lucrative thing you can do with one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The more I think about this movie, after seeing it last night, the more I'm interested in using its premise for a disaster movie than I am in Kingsman itself.

One day, out of nowhere, for about five minutes, everyone within ten meters of a cell phone is driven to kill everyone else they see; at almost the same time, most of the political and financial leaders of the world are killed at once because they participated in the wrong global conspiracy. It's a bit like Stephen King's The Cell, yeah, but you could tell a lot of stories with that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

The more I think about this movie, after seeing it last night, the more I'm interested in using its premise for a disaster movie than I am in Kingsman itself.

One day, out of nowhere, for about five minutes, everyone within ten meters of a cell phone is driven to kill everyone else they see; at almost the same time, most of the political and financial leaders of the world are killed at once because they participated in the wrong global conspiracy. It's a bit like Stephen King's The Cell, yeah, but you could tell a lot of stories with that.

I was thinking that this would be a much more insidious plot for Skynet to get rid of humanity in the new Terminator movies than taking control of the American nuclear stockpile and shooting it off. Especially when you consider that Genisys is merely a smartphone app.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait there are people who thought the movie with Steve Jobs with a lisp killing people with a free internet app to stop global warming (not how that works) ending end a spectacular head explosion fireworks display and royal buttsex...wasn't a complete farce?

Like the movie that has a prolonged scene where two of the leads chuckle and talk about James Bond movies that ends with the villain just murdering his charming english super spy rival because 'this isn't that kind of movie', this is what some people thought was a 100% serious movie?

THANK YOU FOR THE HAPPY MEAL

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
The comic book is hilariously right-wing, it's one of the worst things I've ever read. The movie tries pretty hard to pull it back by being occasionally and clumsily left-wing and that's why any political analysis of it will go in circles forever - the film doesn't give a poo poo about the consistency of its message, it's happy just being dumb and pointless.

What's most disappointing was that the film almost makes a good point about audience expectations of violent media. The way Valentine is completely OK with killing people as long as he doesn't have to watch the reality of it is an interesting parallel with the whole idea of watching a violent action movie, especially the way it's played off his assistants' love of it, but it's totally undermined by how much straightforward joy the movie takes in its own violence (especially the head-exploding sequence).

It reminds me of how Kick-rear end took the decent points of the comic book (being a real life superhero or telling a girl you like you're gay are actually stupid loving ideas) and hosed them up because apparently Matthew Vaughn just doesn't have the balls to make people uncomfortable in any way other than putting a lot of blood on screen.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Lots of blood on the screen doesn't make me uncomfortable. You know, in some hues it can be festive.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
For being a movie with so much violence, Kingsmen is a remarkably bloodless film. All the world's leaders are dead and 28 Days Later was cut short by 27 days 27 hours and 55 minutes and nobody in the movie noticed. The secret organization that the protagonist jumped headlong into was deeply compromised at the highest level.. somehow at sometime.. and potentially nearly every member is dead either by poison or head explosion and nobody left seems to care. What other movies would consider major plot points, this movie uses to shoehorn in exposition and add throwaway surprise twists.

There might be something to it if they were parodying the blase attitude spy movie protagonists show towards the people they are supposedly saving from doomsday, but it only seemed to do this when the director remembered and even then probably by accident.

Also the action scenes were all poo poo and Sam Jackson was deeply deeply unfunny in what I'm guessing was supposed to be a Zuckerberg as Blofeld type deal. And why did Colin Firth go to the church and just chill out as a huge dorky sore thumb? Why was Sam Jackson expecting him? There could have been something there if they had Firth sneaking around trying to find Sam Jackson and his transmitter and Sam Jackson catching him out thanks to the betrayal of Michael Caine and the rest of the Kingsmen (Galahad was just too attached to the lower classes, he wouldn't understand, whatever). But then we wouldn't get the chance for the filmmakers to get a smirk out of killing all those Westboro people. Or getting a smirk out of Sam Jackson's "this isn't that type of movie". Where other better movies would've thrown a wink to the audience in the form of cheeky references to other spy movies, Kingsmen threw out self-satisfied and completely undeserved smirks, again and again.

gently caress this movie.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Authorman posted:

For being a movie with so much violence, Kingsmen is a remarkably bloodless film. All the world's leaders are dead and 28 Days Later was cut short by 27 days 27 hours and 55 minutes and nobody in the movie noticed. The secret organization that the protagonist jumped headlong into was deeply compromised at the highest level.. somehow at sometime.. and potentially nearly every member is dead either by poison or head explosion and nobody left seems to care. What other movies would consider major plot points, this movie uses to shoehorn in exposition and add throwaway surprise twists.

There might be something to it if they were parodying the blase attitude spy movie protagonists show towards the people they are supposedly saving from doomsday, but it only seemed to do this when the director remembered and even then probably by accident.

Also the action scenes were all poo poo and Sam Jackson was deeply deeply unfunny in what I'm guessing was supposed to be a Zuckerberg as Blofeld type deal. And why did Colin Firth go to the church and just chill out as a huge dorky sore thumb? Why was Sam Jackson expecting him? There could have been something there if they had Firth sneaking around trying to find Sam Jackson and his transmitter and Sam Jackson catching him out thanks to the betrayal of Michael Caine and the rest of the Kingsmen (Galahad was just too attached to the lower classes, he wouldn't understand, whatever). But then we wouldn't get the chance for the filmmakers to get a smirk out of killing all those Westboro people. Or getting a smirk out of Sam Jackson's "this isn't that type of movie". Where other better movies would've thrown a wink to the audience in the form of cheeky references to other spy movies, Kingsmen threw out self-satisfied and completely undeserved smirks, again and again.

I'm so sorry you hate fun

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Authorman posted:

Normally for this kind of movie I would have more to say, but I really do agree that this feels a lot like a spy movie but for chucklefucks. All the Millar adaptations to date feel like they come with significant changes to the stories but they all absolutely retain that ridiculous chip on the shoulder.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I read that this movie is anti-environmentalist but that's just silly. Environmentalists are a broad group, and that includes people who, justifiably or not, think that it's the size of human population that's killing the environment.

Valentine's solution is centered on population control. His approach is decidedly radical, but grounded on the same philosophy as those who in the 70s/80s advocated an end to aid for the third world. It's better to have fewer people in a living world than more people in a dying world. Its advocates see it as a humanitarian solution in and of itself.

The problem in the film is Valentine doesn't seem like much of a humanitarian. He saves only his rich and powerful friends, after all. The film accurately shows that purportedly humanitarian agenda are intertwined deeply with power, and no cause is so noble in practice (as some of you pointed out).

Even as a comedy, the film has a lot to say about environmentalism (regardless of whether derpy writers intended it). I think there's a strong cultural resonance to this film, and it's to the writers' credit that they either consciously or subconsciously tapped into the zeitgeist of modern politics and culture.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm reminded of Rainbow Six, the Tom Clancy movie / video game.

(Spoilers for Rainbow Six below.)

The villains are a bunch of rich people who want to save the environment through engineering a biowarfare version of Ebola and spreading it worldwide, killing everyone but themselves since they would hole up in a bunker in Brazil.

However, it's made explicit that they only care about nature because they want to enjoy it on their own, one of the guys even explicitly says "with less people around killing a lion or two won't be a problem, as soon as everyone's dead in going on a safari in Africa".

In Kingsman the villain's motivations are exactly the same: he doesn't save the best and brightest (remember Moonraker?), he saves those with money.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Well he does attempt to save the professor, who at the beginning very clearly states he has no money or power. He's just some wack-job with an out there climate theory. The guy wouldn't be all that useful in the new world order since the survivors aren't exactly those who propaganda would work well on and that's basically all the professor would be good for. So I guess you could extend Valentine's selection process to the rich, the powerful, and those he sympathizes with. All still arbitrary, but it wasn't specifically a world of Hollywood A-listers, wealthy Englishmen, and literal royalty.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I don't think the film is decrying environmentalism. If anything it is making fun of the neo liberal view on saving the environment. Sam Jackson is obsessed with being considered the common man. He dresses in urban street clothes,he has Mc Donalds instead of anything considered fancy. Yet he still does this in his giant mansion while planning to kill off the lower classes. If anything its about how these modern corporate leaders are no different from the 80's yuppies. They are just as evil and they don't give a poo poo about you.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I think one of the dumbest things about Kingsman training is that first lesson is supposedly how your comrades are everything and that working together and protecting each other is paramount. Then the last lesson is to kill your bestest dog buddy because we told you to. Are they trying to raise cold emotionless killers or tightly knit team-mates? Pick one!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

jabby posted:

I think one of the dumbest things about Kingsman training is that first lesson is supposedly how your comrades are everything and that working together and protecting each other is paramount. Then the last lesson is to kill your bestest dog buddy because we told you to. Are they trying to raise cold emotionless killers or tightly knit team-mates? Pick one!

I think it's just about following orders even when you disagree with them. Of course this is then undermined by Arthur feeling he had to have Galahad killed off rather than ordering him to stand down.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Didn't they not kill the dogs? Colin firth tells him that they are blanks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yes, but they needed to be capable of following the order. He lost for not pulling the trigger.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Wanderer posted:

There's a pretty gory comic series called Crossed that you can check out. Same general idea except the insanity works like a communicable disease.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Der Luftwaffle posted:

There's a pretty gory comic series called Crossed that you can check out. Same general idea except the insanity works like a communicable disease.
On this topic, Crossed is super extreme and goes for shock value a lot of the time, but there's a free webcomic version that's a lot better written and surprisingly more restrained, or at least the first arc was. That isn't to say crazy poo poo didn't happen, just that it was much less frequent and interspersed with a lot of character development (which made the crazy poo poo more shocking as a result).

I think the webcomic is on "season 2" now, but the first arc, "Wish You Were Here", is written by Simon Spurrier and it's pretty great.
They've reprinted it as a bunch of trade paperbacks, but I think it's still available to read online for free.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jabby posted:

The Kingsman organisation are not good people. They are hypocritical and corrupt and are justly killed off so that only the outliers remain (chav, girl, scot).

Is it sexist to include the girl there? Yeah. She was willing to kill her dog, too. Posh girls are monsters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

On this topic, Crossed is super extreme and goes for shock value a lot of the time, but there's a free webcomic version that's a lot better written and surprisingly more restrained, or at least the first arc was. That isn't to say crazy poo poo didn't happen, just that it was much less frequent and interspersed with a lot of character development (which made the crazy poo poo more shocking as a result).

I think the webcomic is on "season 2" now, but the first arc, "Wish You Were Here", is written by Simon Spurrier and it's pretty great.
They've reprinted it as a bunch of trade paperbacks, but I think it's still available to read online for free.

The Alan Moore and Ennis stuff is very good as well, but I think Spurrier is the ideal writer for the series.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Yeah, I've been reading Crossed from issue one.

It's not so much the simple idea of "what if everyone went homicidal one day" that interests me about Kingsman's specific take, but the fact that in five minutes, the world's power structure was decapitated in every possible field, aside from the handful of people who were imprisoned in Valentine's fortress. Millions are dead, which probably includes a good chunk of the world's law enforcement and rescue personnel (imagine the shitshow that ensues if you're actually in a police station when the pulse goes off), and organized recovery's going to take a while. On top of that, unless you were out of range of a phone, you've probably got some pretty trauma-filled memories of what you did during the pulse.

Xenomrph posted:

The webcomic's over. Ennis did a multi-week arc called "Dead or Alive" that was its own thing, but it ended up being roughly equivalent to an issue or two of the regular series.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I laughed alot and enjoyed the movie. Some of you are way too loving serious about this stuff. It must be really terrible to not be able to sit and enjoy a silly movie without finding some sort of hidden meaning and analyzing every little loving scene.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

buddhanc posted:

I laughed alot and enjoyed the movie. Some of you are way too loving serious about this stuff. It must be really terrible to not be able to sit and enjoy a silly movie without finding some sort of hidden meaning and analyzing every little loving scene.

Yeah I caught up with this a few days ago & loved it. Samuel L. Jackson was funny as gently caress and I couldn't stop laughing during the last 30 minutes of the movie. I feel bad for the losers as well who can't enjoy an over-the-top flick like this without going full-on autistic Zizek mode.

Immortan fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 23, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

buddhanc posted:

It must be terrible to watch something for an hour and a half + and not be able to have any thoughts beyond laughing at the loud noises and pretty colours.

How dare people analyse every scene? Don't they know some scenes don't mean anything at all, and are just put in by accident?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anti-intellectualism worn as a badge of pride. You're everything that's wrong with the world.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

Anti-intellectualism worn as a badge of pride. You're everything that's wrong with the world.

How does enjoying a silly action film make you everything that is wrong with the world?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Goast posted:

How does enjoying a silly action film make you everything that is wrong with the world?
Enjoying it isn't the problem; deriding any attempts at analysis is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Goast posted:

I enjoyed the film on more levels than you did. My enjoyment was more thorough, and I continue to enjoy it by thinking about it more, now and in the future.

You have dismissed the film as silly, and not worth your thought. You've taken one bite from the sandwich and then thrown it away. There are kids starving in Africa.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

buddhanc posted:

Class warfare isn't a subtly hidden meaning in Kingsman, it's the literal plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

We're literally in a subforum named for the idea of Discussing Movies. Right now. You're reading a thread in a forum dedicated specifically to analyzing and discussing movies. Jesus.

• Locked thread