Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

I thought she was missing through the whole movie, meaning she was one of the kidnappees who didn't agree with the plan.

I got a bunch of issues with this movie already, but if it's as you suggest and Kingsman is implying that Iggy has scruples, that's a line that can't be un-crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, I see the thread has independently arrived at my highly regarded "anal gentleman" theory,

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jakcson posted:

You really don't think it is scary when a black man attempts to genocide the entire human race?

What if I told you that actually, it's cool and good

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

88h88 posted:

Yeah what the hell? It's like people are trying to put SERIOUS MEANING behind a pretty stupid and fun movie.

I mean, this doesn't have much to do with the specific anal gentleman scene, but I wouldn't act like the two are mutually exclusive. This is a really fun movie that definitely glosses over some serious stuff because it's far from the focal point. But it absolutely wants to have SERIOUS MEANING at points. If it didn't, what the hell are the scenes about Eggsy's class-conscious angst and the lectures about the true meaning of being a gentleman there for? Those are there in the movie. Characters look directly into the camera and talk about social class. A lot.

Which is why it's a little puzzling to me that the sociopolitical criticism in this thread has focused on gender (through Roxy's diminished role towards the end, and our favorite princess) and racial (through whether SLJ is portraying a "scary black man" stereotype") lenses, as opposed to a class lens. Like, I'm never gonna dismiss someone bringing one of those lenses into discussion of a film, but the class stuff is RIGHT THERE. And while the film gets like a million points for trying and I can't really stay mad at it precisely because of those good intentions, it fucks up haaaaard when it comes to class issues. Like, repeatedly.

I suppose we did have that brief discussion on whether businessmen or celebrities are more recognizable avatars of wealth? Yeah, that was alright. This thread, like Kingsman itself, has its heart in the right place and at the end of the day I like it.

• Locked thread