Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So lately I've noticed an uptick of interest in games threads about chili in the Planetside, Star Citizen, and Mechwarrior threads. What I think we can all agree on is that these games are all awful. But on to chili -

Some people are for beans in chili, some are against, but what I do know is this is an important issue being discussed in many threads that we all have an opinion on

What are your thoughts on chili?

Moreover, do you have any good chili-based game anecdotes or mod recommendations?

I never play a game of Skyrim without my Baked Beans of Skyrim mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52614/

Added Bean Chili, a fearsome combination of Baked Beans, Beef, Mammoth Cheese and Cabbage. Eating it will instantly max out your gas level, as well as granting access to...
A new gas-powered Power. What the Greybeards never told you (but they almost certainly know!) is that the power of the Thu'um can be used to force your will into not only your breath, but any wind that leaves your body. Abusing this ancient power in such a fashion, though, will probably bring harm to any and all involved. You have been warned. For more info on the Chili and the new Power, see "The Wind of the Dragonborn's Passage" farther down.
A few additional NPC comments have been added, along with some extras for the new Power.

So, please share your chili related stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaT5rurlVBg

HOLY poo poo

you can make chili dogs just like the ones sonic eats!!!!!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I personally, do not like beans.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skoll posted:

I personally, do not like beans.

:yikes:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Chili should always be served over white rice, as is Hawaiian custom.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If your chili doesn't have beans you're basically aiding and abetting Hitler's ghost.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Listen, you can put beans and green bell pepper and sweet corn and whatever else you want in your bowl of chili that you serve with a square of cornbread and and a dollop of sour cream and some honey on the side.

But don't you ever put beans or vegetable chunks or any of that crap on a chili dog. Meat, garlic, tomato sauce only.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Chili with beans is well known by another name: soup. get loving real bean havers. Chili? It's really good. With no beans. Beans are Bullshit.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

If your chili doesn't have beans you're basically aiding and abetting Hitler's ghost.

Look at my av.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It doesn't matter if it has beans or not, it's all good as long as it's over rice!

I like it with shredded cheese on top the best, though. Those taco-blend packages of mixed cheeses are really good for that.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I'm from Cincinnati.

I am the chili martyr.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

everythingWasBees posted:

This actually sounds really good

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

everythingWasBees posted:

yoooo chili on rice is legit

so what about hot sauce, is that a taboo or are we welcoming of all culinary backgrounds here

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

hemophilia posted:

Chili with beans is well known by another name: soup. get loving real bean havers. Chili? It's really good. With no beans. Beans are Bullshit.

Agreed. Beans are only to distract you from the fact you're eating bad chili.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
beans or no beans depends on the chili

chili purists are worse than anime nerds

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Even Hormell and Wolf know beans are worse. Beaned chili is cheaper, which is insanely hosed up.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Beanless chili is for hot dogs or spaghetti.

Beans in chili are delicious and add great texture.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

Beanless chili is for hot dogs or spaghetti.

Beans in chili are delicious and add great texture.

aw man now I want a chili dog. :kimchi:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
i eat mine with mustard, beans or no beans

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

nftyw posted:

Same.

Also, I'm a freak and like vegetarian chilli with beans zucchini and maybe some eggplant and poo poo, no meat.

I like meat ust fine but it's not necessary for chili. Beans are though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't like beans or meat in my chili. Just spiced grease.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

nftyw posted:

Good luck finding one without loving beans on it.
Every time I order a chili dog in this state, it's hosed up.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
everybody post thier cili recipes

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
I ate chili today. Lemme tell you I used to think All Meat is good, cause I like meat. But beans are good. Sometimes there is a need for filler because actually over meatiness can be too intense and upset the fine balance and enjoyability of the chili. Also beans are more healthier and also beans are cheaper than meat. Judge me by my words, that is my stand.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Has anyone asked GWS their opinions on beans in chilli?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
In excellent but arcane Being On A Doomed-To-Fail Spacestation Simulation Space Station 13, you can make a wide range of chilis, and even grow the plant itself. If you work on it hard enough, they will cause people to burst into flames, although of course very few people willingly eat things in SS13. Would recommend to any patient chili fans out there.

Prefer my chili with beans but eat it infrequently, maybe more regular chili consumers prefer it without, and that's a fine choice.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Aleth posted:

Has anyone asked GWS their opinions on beans in chilli?

Have you heard of this chili in a bottle called SRIRACHA

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Chili? I spend millions of GMP developing the ultimate curry for my soldiers in the field, I don't have time for that poo poo!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Yeah this is pretty chili I guess

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Here's how I like to make con carne:
  • Minced kangaroo (or beef)
  • Minced garlic
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Kidney beans
  • Italian herb mix
  • Tabasco
  • Maybe some capsicum if I can be bothered
You cook all that up and cook some rice, then you put the rice on a plate, tip the con carne on top, then pour some avocado dip on top of that, and add some grated cheese. Then you eat it by scooping it up with corn chips.

Optional variations include leaving the tomatoes and capsicum out and cooking them up to be a separate tomato sauce layer, and/or adding a layer of shredded iceberg lettuce. Personally, I think lettuce is a flavourless waste of space, but some people claim to like it.

Putting con carne on a hotdog is crazy, what is wrong with you?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Sef! posted:

I'm from Cincinnati.

I am the chili martyr.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Sef! posted:

I'm from Cincinnati.

I am the chili martyr.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

what happened posted:

everybody post thier cili recipes

Buy a can of Chili, find a can opener. Serve cold.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Zsinjeh posted:

Cover 2 dried ancho chilies and 2 dried chipotle with enough water in a pot and let boil up then set it aside for a while
Cut up two pounds of chuck meat into cubes and sear it in a pan along with a whole garlic finely diced and freshly chopped chili. Sear it just enough to give it some texture and browning.

Add the meat, garlic, chili and juices to the pot with the chili water. Mix while adding this seasoning you've mixed together:
3 tablebspoons flour
1 tablespoon chilipepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons koriander
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
salt & pepper
beef stock cube

Top up all of this with a pale lager (ex Corona) to add further flavor and also serves as the water it boils in.

Let boil with the lid on for 2 hours or so, take off the lid for the last hour and check on it and desired dryness.

e: Basically a version of the famous X. Tolbert recipe

Check on it and stir a little after every respawn bro!
that specific batch I made a little dry so it wouldn't drip in my taco, just take it out earlier if it looks to dry for u babby

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
beanless chili is actually lovely hamburger stew hth. chili over rice however is something that I think we can all agree on, so on to the next point.

less wet ingredients or more?

e: removed the bad soup image

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 23, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That is clearly soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Tiggum posted:

That is clearly soup.

you're right, i GIS'd chili and a dirty recipie for chicken tortilini came up :sweatdrop:

please forgive me

• Locked thread