Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

I was deeply let down by this thread tag.

i did it for you baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Iowans are gross and dip cinnamon rolls in their chili instead of cornbread :eek:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
famethrowa, this sounds good. it's a natural step up from sweet cornbread.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zsinjeh posted:

If you're the kind of person that can debate about whether hot sauce is vinegary garbage or not you should shut the gently caress up and eat your god drat food because there's people out there who are not as lucky as you.

gently caress you, mom.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

beanless chili is actually lovely hamburger stew hth.

I saw this thread and knew you would be in here. Also, shame on Para.

Best chili I ever made myself involved some mashed up beef sausage, chopped up bell peppers in place of tomatoes, and two kinds of beans (kidney and pinto I think?) along with some of the beer I was drinking at the time because it was too thick even for chili. Forget what kind of chili powder I used, but it was store-bought.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Eonwe posted:

i did it for you baby

I appreciate the thought. :love: Chili is pretty good too if it's not full of evil beans and tomatos.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I like chili with beans and without beans, with chilis or without. It's all good yo.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Hobo on Fire posted:

I saw this thread and knew you would be in here. Also, shame on Para.

Best chili I ever made myself involved some mashed up beef sausage, chopped up bell peppers in place of tomatoes, and two kinds of beans (kidney and pinto I think?) along with some of the beer I was drinking at the time because it was too thick even for chili. Forget what kind of chili powder I used, but it was store-bought.

that beer better not have been an ipa :argh:

Hobo on Fire posted:

Also, shame on Para

:agreed:

XboxPants posted:

I appreciate the thought. :love: Chili is pretty good too if it's not full of evil beans and tomatos.

another chili gentrifier :cripes:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm insanely poor but I still pay for the privilege of not having to eat beans. Beans are hosed up. They have a bad texture and they gently caress up the taste of almost everything. Chili is better than that. You besmirch the good name of chili when you smear your dirty whore beans all over it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

mabels big day posted:

I don't know if it's been brought up in this thread yet, but Sonic the Hedgehog likes to eat Chili Dogs.
As do I, friend

But not the kind shown in that video :yikes:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

Sweet cornbread is an abomination before God and Man.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

You're thinking of yourself. All cornbread is good and amazing with chili. Any gamer should know this.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Where do you come from?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Jackard posted:

Where do you come from?

a terrible and boring place where fun is banned apparently

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Not everything has to be sweet god drat it. Keep that loving honey away from the ham!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

eat a sugar occasionally and smile man

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Not everything has to be sweet god drat it. Keep that loving honey away from the ham!

I mean I know what you mean, I generally prefer foods without being covered in some garbage corn syrup glaze whether it's meat or fruit or vegetables. Unsweetened corn bread is great too, but imo breads are one thing that can work with sweetening. It just means it's more like a muffin or a cake, rather than a loaf of bread. (same thing with sliced bread, some sprouted brown nut bread is awesome but cakey as poo poo sweet white wonderbread can be good too)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
real talk tho, do you guys want a real Games food thread that isn't ironic and is "hey I made X tonight" and maybe include pictures and poo poo or do we want chili talk for a while longer

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

real talk tho, do you guys want a real Games food thread that isn't ironic and is "hey I made X tonight" and maybe include pictures and poo poo or do we want chili talk for a while longer

if a mod was willing to care about enforcing it, i'd like to see a thread of gaming + food images. post your bad food decisions and something gaming related in the image.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

What games have Shrimp, besides Odin Sphere?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wait are there really chilis without tomatoes? What the gently caress

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Making some VEGETarian chili tonight thanks to this thread. Tons of beans and tomatoes and NO MEAT. Yum.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Making some VEGETarian chili tonight thanks to this thread. Tons of beans and tomatoes and NO MEAT. Yum.

enjoy your dinner, gamer. can we get a chili pic + what you're playing?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Chef Robotnik's Chili Bean Machine

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That Robotnik knows how to make a mean bean.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

everythingWasBees posted:

It doesn't matter if it has beans or not, it's all good as long as it's over rice!

this sounded good so I made chili and put it on top of rice

its good

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jackard posted:

What games have Shrimp, besides Odin Sphere?

Recettear, aka best game ever, has Shrimp Doria as well as a variety of other foods!

Apparently "doria" is some crazy Japanese rice casserole or something.

(also I wanna say, I ain't no chili snob; go and be merry and put beans or tomatoes or pineapple or whatever you like in your chili and enjoy it, it's perfectly valid chili, I just personally ain't a fan)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:whitewater:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hey man, people do it. Weird, weird people.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

better pineapple beaned chili than unbeaned anything

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Eonwe posted:

I mean we can do both but 99% of the dumb youtube channels that make "video game" food make stuff that does not look great.

XboxPants posted:

Hey man, people do it. Weird, weird people.

I would try this, but since I don't like pineapple in my pastor, I don't have high hopes.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 24, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no I dont mean posting videos, I mean talking about what you actually made for dinner yourself

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blazing Zero posted:

this is pulled pork :getout:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Speleothing posted:

Dudes and dudettes,

I may have come off as being anti-bean in my earlier posts. That is not true. Personally, I like both beans and sweet corn and tomato chunks in my chili. Unless it is being used as a topping for other dishes, like hot dogs or french fries or similar. Then it must be a pure meat chili.

Apologies

what about a baked potato?

but yeah if you're camping, just buy a can of hormel chili and put that on your hot dogs and then wake up in the middle of the night to commune with nature. by having a painful dump in the forest

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
what kind of meat is good for chili? for me it has to be red meat, either beef or deer. although i guess you can use anything, the aztecs used turkey I think. and probably people

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Chili was my favorite food in Earthbound.

Also, the popular opinion among chili connoisseurs is that real chili doesn't have beans in it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

what kind of meat is good for chili? for me it has to be red meat, either beef or deer. although i guess you can use anything, the aztecs used turkey I think. and probably people

turkey chili is legit amazing with pinto beans.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Axetrain posted:

Beans are fine but you should realize when adding them that they add almost nothing to the taste. Essentially they are just filler if you want to pad out your chili, which is fine as long as you understand what what your doing.
This is absolute nonsense. Beans are delicious. Except broad beans, those are terrible. Every other type of bean is delicious though.

HJE-Cobra posted:

But what ingredients are truly essential to calling a food "chili"?

Surely not beans, as we can see there are many people who are pro- or anti-bean. Not truly meat, as there are vegetarian chilis which can be pretty tasty. Tomato? Onions? Chilis can have many ingredients, but the basic important core elements are, I feel, tomato paste or something, and some kind of meat or meat substitute (such as perhaps beans or simply fake-meat). And assorted seasonings of course.

The most important thing to define a food as chili and not soup is that it is thick, hearty, and brown
Depending on the tomato content, it can be quite thin and more red than brown. Tomatoes and onions are also not essential. I think the way you're defining "meat or meat substitute" is pretty broad and hard to get around, so it could be said to be essential but it also doesn't really mean much. You can have meat or beans or meat and beans, but I think you need at least one or the other (if not both). If you have neither then it's something else.

7c Nickel posted:

I don't know how there can be any confusion. It's right in the name. Chili peppers are the essential ingredient in Chili.
That is clearly not the case.

spacemang_spliff posted:

Any kind is good, really, but minced red meat of some kind is best.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's with this beans = soup sentiment? Chili con Carne, as in pureed chiles and meat, is soupy as poo poo. In some countries it would be labeled as curry or even gravy.

Beans and rice are nice and filling, good for your colon too. If you omit the beans then you better use a variety of spices and chiles to make up for that lack of flavor/texture.

Eonwe posted:

No because I would just post Vanillaware screenshots and the thread would basically be over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

But cinnamon rolls with sugary frosting on top? It should be clear now why iowans are fat

• Locked thread