Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Here's how I like to make con carne:
  • Minced kangaroo (or beef)
  • Minced garlic
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Kidney beans
  • Italian herb mix
  • Tabasco
  • Maybe some capsicum if I can be bothered
You cook all that up and cook some rice, then you put the rice on a plate, tip the con carne on top, then pour some avocado dip on top of that, and add some grated cheese. Then you eat it by scooping it up with corn chips.

Optional variations include leaving the tomatoes and capsicum out and cooking them up to be a separate tomato sauce layer, and/or adding a layer of shredded iceberg lettuce. Personally, I think lettuce is a flavourless waste of space, but some people claim to like it.

Putting con carne on a hotdog is crazy, what is wrong with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That is clearly soup.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Axetrain posted:

Beans are fine but you should realize when adding them that they add almost nothing to the taste. Essentially they are just filler if you want to pad out your chili, which is fine as long as you understand what what your doing.
This is absolute nonsense. Beans are delicious. Except broad beans, those are terrible. Every other type of bean is delicious though.

HJE-Cobra posted:

But what ingredients are truly essential to calling a food "chili"?

Surely not beans, as we can see there are many people who are pro- or anti-bean. Not truly meat, as there are vegetarian chilis which can be pretty tasty. Tomato? Onions? Chilis can have many ingredients, but the basic important core elements are, I feel, tomato paste or something, and some kind of meat or meat substitute (such as perhaps beans or simply fake-meat). And assorted seasonings of course.

The most important thing to define a food as chili and not soup is that it is thick, hearty, and brown
Depending on the tomato content, it can be quite thin and more red than brown. Tomatoes and onions are also not essential. I think the way you're defining "meat or meat substitute" is pretty broad and hard to get around, so it could be said to be essential but it also doesn't really mean much. You can have meat or beans or meat and beans, but I think you need at least one or the other (if not both). If you have neither then it's something else.

7c Nickel posted:

I don't know how there can be any confusion. It's right in the name. Chili peppers are the essential ingredient in Chili.
That is clearly not the case.

spacemang_spliff posted:

what kind of meat is good for chili? for me it has to be red meat, either beef or deer. although i guess you can use anything, the aztecs used turkey I think. and probably people
Any kind is good, really, but minced red meat of some kind is best.

• Locked thread