Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm going back to playing dwarf fortress after two versions of enhancements and I wanted to know how to play now with the new stuff, but I'm too lazy to look it up so I started this thread for you guys to explain to me, thanks imps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's bad

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Better graphics yet?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

:iit:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I just created a area for Yobgobling and Larry Parrish to post

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

program666 posted:

gameplay uber alles

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the ASCII graphics but I don't like that the dwarves are insanely retarded and people back that and bad gameplay decisions as being some kind of visionary genius. Peace.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Holy gently caress... this gameplay... it's so emergent! It's so loving emergent, I can feel it emergaaaaaaaaghghghhghghghghg *gameplay bursts from chest like Alien*

Gameplay: Hello, my name is Minecraft.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I've never played minecraft or dwarf fortress cause they look like utter poo poo

program666
Aug 22, 2013

apropos to nothing posted:

I've never played minecraft or dwarf fortress cause they look like utter poo poo
your poo poo

Ew

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

program666 posted:

Nice.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dwarf fortress is good and I'm glad some imps agree. Jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt bauxite.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I hope you know a lot about poetic forms!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any mouse support yet or are we still living in the 80s?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scalding Coffee posted:

Any mouse support yet or are we still living in the 80s?

Yeah. It works pretty good actually.

Honestly I like DF it's just frustrating that the dwarves are coded so poorly and it's hard to get good feedback on why something isn't happening. Someone made a way to hack it so you can see multiple Z-levels at once so that's good.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Dwarf Fortress is the only game that can support up to four types of grass per tile.

Please respect dwarf fortress.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Dwarf Fortress is the only game that can support up to four types of grass per tile.

Please respect dwarf fortress.

This.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Honestly I like DF it's just frustrating that the dwarves are coded so poorly

well, they do strike the earth

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

...reported

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Dwarf Fortress is a really fun game if you can overlook how aggressively poo poo the entire loving interface is. The only way this game could possibly be more user-unfriendly is if Toady himself punched you in the face every time you have the nerve to look at the screen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Get this: Dwarf Fortress, but also Watch_Dogs. The most emergent game?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

FactsAreUseless posted:

Get this: Dwarf Fortress, but also Watch_Dogs. The most emergent game?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy gently caress... this gameplay... it's so emergent! It's so loving emergent, I can feel it emergaaaaaaaaghghghhghghghghg *gameplay bursts from chest like Alien*

Gameplay: Hello, my name is Minecraft.

except for real

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bastion did not have any emergent gameplay, and this is messed up to me.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:iit:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There also wasn't any emergent gameplay in Transistor... because its head never emerged from its own rear end ha ha ha.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

There's no game here. It's a weird simulator where it's really easy to cheat, and if you try to have fun with it that mostly boils down to choosing to engage with some system in the game that can be safely ignored. Almost all of those systems are really tedious and don't do more than let you watch numbers go up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DebonaireD posted:

There's no game here. It's a weird simulator where it's really easy to cheat, and if you try to have fun with it that mostly boils down to choosing to engage with some system in the game that can be safely ignored. Almost all of those systems are really tedious and don't do more than let you watch numbers go up.
drat. This guy has a p. brutal takedown.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

DebonaireD posted:

Almost all of those systems are really tedious and don't do more than let you watch numbers go up.

videogames in a nutshell

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

DebonaireD posted:

lmfao

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

DebonaireD posted:

In one of my first games I read that a big goblin army attacks your fort at a set time so I got pretty epicly pumped cause nothing ever loving happens in dwarf fortress and set out to build like, defenses and poo poo. anyway I built a big sealed off tower and slapped a bunch of bolders and catapults on it, built a couple bigass drawbridges and then made lots of places for my crossbow dwarfs to shoot from. then the goblins attacked and their leader fell down a hole and slowly bled out and his frog drowned and all his friend sjust kinda hung out there for like a year.

kinda sucked

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

drat. This guy has a p. brutal takedown.

He's right since at least the Z-axis update, to be fair.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Ugh, nothing ever happens, in this game with emergent gameplay. There's no way I could just not be utilizing the infinite toolset of emergent gameplay to make things happen, such as a great Let's Play, or some cool stories for the motherfucking I Killed British Griefing Thread in Games."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

He's right since at least the Z-axis update, to be fair.
Totally possible, I've never played it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

When the game was more rigid, there was more to it since there's always something worth worrying about. But now the most effective thing is mostly just the simplest solution to a given problem, and it's one of those games that it's more fun to hear a couple slightly embellished stories from a severely brain damaged individual than actually play anymore.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's also something that it's sort of fun to generate a world and see what kind of history it creates with the World Viewer thing but it's easy to remember that there's no real craftsmanship in what your seeing and essentially everybody generates the same crap you did, in most ways. So your better off just hearing what someone else says about it I guess.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Has the game been given a UI that can be used by mortal men yet.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Has the game been given a UI that can be used by mortal men yet.

If you play it for half a day or whatever it's hard not to just breeze through it unless you haven't played in years, actually.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
on dwarf fortress

Ideally you'd like to just sit in bed under the covers imagining a fantasy dwarf land and their everyday struggles for hours on end, like when you were a child, but you can't overcome the small niggling voice inside screaming, "You suck! Your a fail human being! Forever alone! Do something with life!" unless you first hypnotize yourself with 1989 era green-on-black CRT graphics.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

on dwarf fortress

Ideally you'd like to just sit in bed under the covers imagining a fantasy dwarf land and their everyday struggles for hours on end, like when you were a child, but you can't overcome the small niggling voice inside screaming, "You suck! Your a fail human being! Forever alone! Do something with life!" unless you first hypnotize yourself with 1989 era green-on-black CRT graphics.

This but without the slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

on dwarf fortress

This but the voice says it anyway.

• Locked thread