Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
to me it will be forever just dungeon keeper except much much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

DebonaireD posted:

There's no game here. It's a weird simulator where it's really easy to cheat, and if you try to have fun with it that mostly boils down to choosing to engage with some system in the game that can be safely ignored. Almost all of those systems are really tedious and don't do more than let you watch numbers go up.

damnshitfuck.gif

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
how's gnomoria

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
It's not as aggressively unusable as DF, but it's not terribly interesting either.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

program666 posted:

I just created a area for Yobgobling and Larry Parrish to post

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

I don't even see the ASCII. All I see is dwarf, cat, socks.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

tfw you find out that capital S moving around your map is a giant flying squirrel

- baaaawwwww that's so cute I wanna make purses out of their skin

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I actually really hate ironhand.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i like ascii and tilesets. WHOAH!!!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I like using ascii on one monitor and stonesense on the other.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I played DF when it was still 2d, and it owned I even sent money to Toady and he drew some dwarves for me , the 3d switch made the usability really bad so I stopped playing.

Here is the pic Toady Sent me:

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

It is a bad game with a bad interface, not because of a bad interface. Every cool story you hear is the highlights reel of dozens of hours of low contrast tedium. The old ycs thread greeted each update with jowl slackening gobsmacks. Who is the audience for this poo poo? Every time I read an update log I picture richard garriott gesticulating wildly

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
basically all the jokes about Toady deterministically simulating the hair follicle growth in every dwarven beard is an accurate statement about the game development Toady likes to focus on. it stopped being a game with the switch to 3d and it's a shame because I was pretty excited about the switch to 3d.

also I'm pretty sure everything that's happened in the development of the game since 2006 was supposed to have been for the development of the army arc which has yet to materialize because Toady got side tracked in making multi-tile trees

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

can't wait for when I can upload my mind to a DF world for me to suffer eternally in a digital nightmare

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

but enough about the forums, dawrf fortress is

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I started playing right after the army stuff was implemented so I'm not sure where are some of you guys coming from, but the army stuff works????? and how exactly was it more of a game before 3d ?!?!?!?!?!

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
They changed it, now it sucks. :reject:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

program666 posted:

I started playing right after the army stuff was implemented so I'm not sure where are some of you guys coming from, but the army stuff works????? and how exactly was it more of a game before 3d ?!?!?!?!?!

Before 3D, it was a fixed set of challenges you had to accomplish, with variations of course, but it was a natural move steadily towards opening the gates of Hell and fighting demons, after which you were done one way or another.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Before 3D, it was a fixed set of challenges you had to accomplish, with variations of course, but it was a natural move steadily towards opening the gates of Hell and fighting demons, after which you were done one way or another.

Also it was cool to explore your old fortress in adventure mode after everyone had gone mad.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
Can you diggy hol

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
*Hole

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

AndyAML posted:

Can you diggy hol

sure, if you'd like.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i play dwarf fortress adventure mode and i don't play the sperg mode because it's boring

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DebonaireD posted:

It is a bad game with a bad interface, not because of a bad interface. Every cool story you hear is the highlights reel of dozens of hours of low contrast tedium. The old ycs thread greeted each update with jowl slackening gobsmacks. Who is the audience for this poo poo? Every time I read an update log I picture richard garriott gesticulating wildly

Holy poo poo! suck it DOWN Richard garriott

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
dwarf me OP

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't wait to see what dwarf me will do

maybe he will sit in a workshop constructing rock crafts forever

maybe he will be killed by a tantruming babby

maybe he will be a girl

the possibilities are as limitless as your imagination

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like it so that is a warning sign

e: i also dont find the interface that difficult but that is because i am an autistic space whale and communicate primarily by smashing my nose on colored shapes

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 26, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy gently caress... this gameplay... it's so emergent! It's so loving emergent, I can feel it emergaaaaaaaaghghghhghghghghg *gameplay bursts from chest like Alien*

Gameplay: Hello, my name is Minecraft.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i play dwarf fortress adventure mode and i don't play the sperg mode because it's boring

WRONG you RETARD, it's not boring, it's fuckgni AWESOME

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
A form of music used for entertainment originating in The Helpful Confederacy. The rules of the form are applied by composers of individual songs. Two singers recite nonsensical words and sounds, while the music is played on a begu and two tubu. The entire performance should feel mournful.

Each singer always does the main melody.

The begu always does the main melody.

Each tubu always does the main melody.

The form has a well-defined multi-passage structure: a brief introduction, a brief passage and an additional brief passage possibly all repeated, a brief finale and a brief coda.

The introduction slows and broadens, and it is to be in whispered undertones. The passage is performed using the lastta scale and in free rhythm.

The first simple passage is extremely fast, and it is to be in whispered undertones. The passage is performed using the nek scale and in the agthreb rhythm. The passage should be composed and performed using grace notes.

The second simple passage gradually slows as it comes to an end, and it is to be loud. The passage is performed using the ramet scale and in the eman rhythm.

The finale is moderately paced, and it is to be loud. The passage is performed using the ozi scale and in the kes rhythm.

The coda is half the tempo of the last passage, and it is to be in whispered undertones. The passage is performed using the lastta scale and in the seggu rhythm.

Scales are conceived of as two chords built using a division of the perfect fourth interval into eleven notes. The tonic note is a fixed tone passed from teacher to student.

As always, the lastta hexatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named use and dik.

The use trichord is the 1st, the 4th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

The dik tetrachord is the 1st, the 2nd, the 8th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

As always, the nek hexatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named ilpi and othag.

The ilpi trichord is the 1st, the 5th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

The othag tetrachord is the 1st, the 4th, the 6th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

As always, the ramet heptatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named agtha and woge.

The agtha tetrachord is the 1st, the 4th, the 8th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

The woge tetrachord is the 1st, the 7th, the 8th and the 11th degrees of the fundamental perfect fourth division.

As always, the ozi hexatonic scale is thought of as two disjoint chords drawn from the fundamental division of the perfect fourth. These chords are named ilpi and woge.

The agthreb rhythm is made from two patterns: the shato (considered the primary) and the musda. The patterns are to be played over the same period of time, concluding together regardless of beat number.

The shato rhythm is a single line with twenty-eight beats divided into seven bars in a 4-4-4-4-4-4-4 pattern. The beats are named almef (spoken alm), onod (on), osp (osp) and arin (ar). The beat is stressed as follows:

| x x x X | x - - - | x x x X | - x - x | - - x`- | x !`x - | x - - - |

where ! marks the primary accent, X marks an accented beat, ` marks a beat as early, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The musda rhythm is a single line with two beats. The beats are named uzu (spoken uz) and onaf (on). The beat is stressed as follows:

| x'x |

where ' marks a beat as late, x is a beat and | indicates a bar.

The eman rhythm is made from two patterns: the ani (considered the primary) and the ohe. The patterns are to be played over the same period of time, concluding together regardless of beat number.

The ani rhythm is a single line with two beats. The beat is stressed as follows:

| - x |

where x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The ohe rhythm is a single line with thirty-two beats divided into four bars in a 8-8-8-8 pattern. The beat is stressed as follows:

| - - - - - x x - | - - - - - x - - | - x`- - - - - - | - x - - - - x X |

where X marks an accented beat, ` marks a beat as early, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The kes rhythm is a single line with eight beats divided into four bars in a 2-2-2-2 pattern. The beats are named suku (spoken su) and rorec (ro). The beat is stressed as follows:

| - x | - x | x x | x x'|

where ' marks a beat as late, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The seggu rhythm is made from two patterns: the ohe and the rostfen.

The rostfen rhythm is a single line with thirty-two beats divided into four bars in a 8-8-8-8 pattern. The beat is stressed as follows:

| - - - x'- x'- !`| - x`- - - - - - | - X x x - - x`- | - X x'- - x x x |

where ! marks the primary accent, X marks an accented beat, ` marks a beat as early, ' marks a beat as late, x is a beat, - is silent and | indicates a bar.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't even know what's real anymore

program666
Aug 22, 2013

we're all dwarfs living a Toad's dream

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the gently caress am i reading

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

program666 posted:

The Sharmat doesn't really care about anything anymore.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

program666 posted:

VALIS

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the gently caress am i reading

art

program666