Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I'll play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I am in this game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

##arm pmom

The decision to arm is much less interesting than that person's decision to kill. I'd rather move through this phase quickly and then see how PMom handles the shot.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

You could arm me. I have no idea what I'd do with a gun right now.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

Arming someone without knowing that they'll do is anti-town.

This is wrong.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

Hi give me the kill please.

Sure, ##arm somb.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

Don't you think that using the gun in a majority-rules fashion (requiring people to actively state who they want to shoot) is better than giving it to one person who either (a) doesn't know who scum is or (b) is scum themselves?

Using the gun in a majority-rules fashion gives us more information, but not as strong information as having the player who is given the gun use it however the hell they see fit. I'd rather learn strong information about the player given the gun.

We also don't have enough time to use the gun in a quality majority fashion and then get out a quality majority-based lynch. It would be the best possible scenario for us to get someone the gun in like the next six hours, talk about what that person should do for an hour or so, and then have that person fire a shot. After that happens, we can use the information to help drive today's lynch until the deadline.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

The gun is being given tonight at 8 PM EST, in nine hours, there's no provision in the rules Byers posted for it to be given earlier.

Oh, welp. I thought it was majority for some reason.

Give the gun to me. I will use it in the most pro-town manner which everyone can probably agree. You also might learn something about my alignment based on what I do.

I promise that I will not fire off a shot with a :smug: and no case. I will build as large and in depth as possible of a case on someone and fire the shot in the same post. I also will do this probably 1-2 hours after receiving the gun, depending on my evening availability.

Give into my new attempt at playing mafia. Let me swing for the fences with this vig and a case.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Diqnol, why haven't you voted to give me the gun?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

I think Mills is a tougher read. You're my second choice.

Here is what Mills is going to do:

Mills posted:

The World's Only Heart Player

##kill [random player]

Good luck getting a read from that.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

I'm uncomfortable with merk's suggestion here. He makes a provision to use his gun in the scummiest way possible, i.e. allowing himself to manufacture an opinion and kill its target in one post.

This is the most pro-town way to use the gun. Not only do you get my decision on who to kill, you get as big of a case as possible of why I chose to kill that player. If I'm wrong, you get to pick apart my case to determine whether I'm wrong because I made up the case. You get immediate results regarding the success or failure of the case that I build.

To put it shortly, I'm making a case and then immediately making myself 100% culpable for whatever the results are of that case. How is that scummy of me?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

##vote Ernie
-says MMT is confirmed town based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)
-calls me scummy based on a general mafia argument (that is wrong)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I'm going to try to step back. If you don't give me the gun, that Ernie case is probably my big case for the day unless I see something better while lurking.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

##vote Ernie
-says MMT is confirmed town on day 1 based on a general mafia argument
-calls me scummy based on a general mafia argument

This is a more persuasive version of my case.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

That's exactly what I said I would do: If I see something better while lurking, I will case it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mills posted:

Friends, hello, good morning. I would like the gun. I will shoot a scum with it, or you can lynch me. Those of you who know me well enough know I'm pretty good at picking scum. Remember not the Kingmaker games where I killed the assassin D1 in six games in a row? Also I will share all sorts of thoughts and generate all sorts of discussion first.

##arm Mills

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

Actually, it is a burden. When I DO roll scum, it makes the level of effort I have to put in far too much for a recreational game and I end up really stressed out from it.

Town is much more stressful than scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

You should've seen my multiple gambit attempts with Keane over Facebook chat. I sounded like a crazy person.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

^in Ecco's game

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hey Mills, it's Ernie.

He's making conclusions on alignment based on disagreements over general mafia arguments rather than other player conclusions about alignment. That is, he's hiding his scum and town reads in general mafia argument instead of actual alignment discussion.

Confirmed Town based on an agreement over a general mafia discussion:

Murmur Twin posted:

Don't you think that using the gun in a majority-rules fashion (requiring people to actively state who they want to shoot) is better than giving it to one person who either (a) doesn't know who scum is or (b) is scum themselves?

Ernie. posted:

MMT is confirmed town, because this is exactly how I feel as well.

Scum based on a disagreement over a general mafia discussion:

merk posted:

I will build as large and in depth as possible of a case on someone and fire the shot in the same post. I also will do this probably 1-2 hours after receiving the gun, depending on my evening availability.

Ernie posted:

I'm uncomfortable with merk's suggestion here. He makes a provision to use his gun in the scummiest way possible, i.e. allowing himself to manufacture an opinion and kill its target in one post.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mills: To put it shortly, theorycrafting about how we use the gun before it is given out is an argument that is ripe for the Discussion Thread. Ernie is faking alignment reads based on a Discussion Thread argument. If that is how we play mafia, I would have voted you out of the Discussion Thread months ago.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Merk

I don't like that Merk hunting for scum strictly depends on whether he gets the gun or not. If he has big cases he should be putting them out there regardless.

This vote also bothered me a lot when MMT made it, but I've cooled off after reviewing the thread again in context looking for more Ernie stuff. I'm not sure why I've cooled off besides to say that it feels less scummy from a gut perspective, but there you go.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

....back to the depths of lurking until I see something new.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mills posted:

The problem with guns is that they usually stifle conversation as everyone waits for something to happen. I'd like to see opinions on why the following players are town or scum: LM, Hal, Hurt, Poque.

I will be shooting someone based on these posts, and it may well be someone who fails to respond.

It would be nice if you killed someone here soon so we can use that information for today's lynch. We only have 11 hours.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

So he really should've killed someone last night.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

Oh, welp. I thought it was majority for some reason.

Give the gun to me. I will use it in the most pro-town manner which everyone can probably agree. You also might learn something about my alignment based on what I do.

I promise that I will not fire off a shot with a :smug: and no case. I will build as large and in depth as possible of a case on someone and fire the shot in the same post. I also will do this probably 1-2 hours after receiving the gun, depending on my evening availability.

Give into my new attempt at playing mafia. Let me swing for the fences with this vig and a case.

Good job, everyone.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

On the plus side, I find the few hours before deadline to be the best part of mafia, so this vig should make for a very interesting couple of hours!

I'm probably not going to be here for deadline! Thursday is date night with the wife.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Actually, I might be back by 9pm Central.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I'm just annoyed at Mills failing to kill someone last night which means I opened the thread today with nothing new going on. I shouldn't have voted for him.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

merk, your new way of playing mafia seems to be that you just as abrasive as ever, only now you don't say very much thus you avoid the issue of "player with a lot of content often gets killed because it's easy to find some flaw in their posting." It makes me wary of you because I know you enjoy a good gambit as scum and this seems like it would be an effective one.

I posted in the Discussion Thread and this thread before getting my role PM to avoid this exact argument. My less involved play is how I committed to play before getting my role PM.

That said, I have more posts than all but four players in the game (I have more posts than you), so I'm not even doing a good job of stepping back. On top of that, I have the best case of the day. After writing this out, Hal, I don't even know what you're trying to get at here. This looks 100% made up.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Well Hal, I read your entire post history and have no idea what you think about anything. The one post you have that gets even close to content looks completely made up and doesn't even follow the actual happenings of the thread, so I'm going to put you in my scum bucket. You and Ernie can have a party.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

What of Little Mac?

In the future, I will likely ignore questions at me because it goes against what I'm trying to do. That said, I have no opinion on Little Mac. He doesn't have any posts besides that arm of Pinterest Mom, which doesn't move me in any way.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

weekly font posted:

Something about Merk is causing me to waiver. His case-shoot-go from there idea is very metagamey as it's predicated on his "new posting fashion" or whatever. It does nothing for me but make me think there is a clear ulterior motive. The thing is, I can't decide if it's a scum play or just self-centered experimentation.

Wouldn't it be much better right now if you had a flip in front of you because I made up a huge case on someone and shot them TEN HOURS AGO? That was what I wanted to do.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

weekly font posted:

Because of gunchat we don't have any good lynch candidates - the irony is that we're left with a lot more shots in the dark.

Please read and respond to my case on Ernie.

Diqnol, I thought you said you were going to be doing this poo poo for me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

Game theory chat is really easy for scum to hide behind! You get to make meta-arguments about the game that people can agree with or disagree with, and look active, without engaging with the actual specific game and players in it.

Please read and respond to my case on Ernie.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Poque posted:

Now you're putting me in a place where it will be scummy to make calls because they will seem reactionary.

A Town player should not care what other players think about their alignment.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

merk, I'm going to tell you this now: I will not vote for Ernie today. I am sick and tired of lynching him on d1 all the time. I don't dislike your case.

Hopefully Mills shoots him.

ninja: Would you vote Hal?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I don't think Poque is scum.

I can see the Hurt case. This might be a good shot.

I think anyone saying they have a read on LM is questionable; guy has no posts.

Hal is the scummiest of the bunch, but a Hurt shot might actually be better. That is, a Hal lynch probably would generate more content than a Hal vig or a Hurt lynch... if that makes sense. More clearly, there's more talk on Hurt right now than on Hal.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

That point feels pretty iffy.

I kind of doubt that Mills is still mad at me. I don't think he's that petty. I'm not even annoyed with him anymore and my avatar is now gross bullshit.

link to whatever you two were fighting about please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

link immediately

• Locked thread