Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i wonder how heath scotland is going with his fireman ambitions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
He's gotten past the first major hurdle of not being in prison

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

boy undead posted:

Well, it's a novel reason to be retiring, I'll give him that. Especially in the middle of a flag tilt.

loving footballers, do they have to steal everything I wanted to be when I was 5?

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Hey, I'm a filthy pom who is looking at getting into this sport. I know there's an AFL Live Pass but the Aussie version is a lot cheaper. Unfortunately it would mean using Hola to watch the streams/videos and I can't imagine that working well. Anyone got any experience doing this? Is it even a thing or should I just suck it up and get the UK version?

Thanks for the OP by the way, really good for a newbie like me to help me learn the basics.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I doubt any of them are going to fly a spaceship or ride a dinosaur anytime soon so im safe

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

An Actual Bear posted:

Hey, I'm a filthy pom who is looking at getting into this sport. I know there's an AFL Live Pass but the Aussie version is a lot cheaper. Unfortunately it would mean using Hola to watch the streams/videos and I can't imagine that working well. Anyone got any experience doing this? Is it even a thing or should I just suck it up and get the UK version?

Thanks for the OP by the way, really good for a newbie like me to help me learn the basics.

The live pass available in Australia doesn't work on computers, only on tablet/mobile so might not even be a viable option for you. I use the watchAFL international service through a VPN and really like it, that being said it has very little in terms of extra content, it's mostly just the matches live/on demand.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

I doubt any of them are going to fly a spaceship or ride a dinosaur anytime soon so im safe

Someone is bound to take a speccy over Fletch at some point

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:smith:

I hope this is just a precautionary measure and he doesn't have any other serious complications from it.

As a person who had one it will cause him issues. It's not the fracture, it's the pressure on the brain post fracture that fucks you.

If he is particularly damaged he might end up posting here.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Spacman posted:

As a person who had one it will cause him issues. It's not the fracture, it's the pressure on the brain post fracture that fucks you.

If he is particularly damaged he might end up posting here.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Gough Suppressant posted:

The live pass available in Australia doesn't work on computers, only on tablet/mobile so might not even be a viable option for you. I use the watchAFL international service through a VPN and really like it, that being said it has very little in terms of extra content, it's mostly just the matches live/on demand.
Yeah use the international service, it's pretty good. There's a few youtube channels that put up episodes of footy shows but I'm not convinced of the legality of that so I won't post the link

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If you want to find the best footy talking show that we have, just search youtube for "AFL 360" and filter by most recent and someone will usually be uploading them, and don't mind the drunk on the right of your screen too much, the actual journalist on the left keeps things mostly on track. Don't watch "The Footy Show", it is the absolute worst.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

An Actual Bear posted:

Yeah as said the version available in Australia is rubbish quality, might as well find a dodgy stream if you don't want the cost of the international version. Dunno what it costs in pounds but I used a proxy to pay for it in Euros, was a better exchange rate than US dollars.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

An Actual Bear posted:

Oh btw try not to watch Carlton games

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

gabensraum posted:

Yeah as said the version available in Australia is rubbish quality, might as well find a dodgy stream if you don't want the cost of the international version. Dunno what it costs in pounds but I used a proxy to pay for it in Euros, was a better exchange rate than US dollars.
Was about eighty quid when I lived over there from memory

If you want to find the best footy talking show that we have, just search youtube for "AFL 360" and filter by most recent and someone will usually be uploading them, and don't mind the drunk on the right of your screen too much, the actual journalist on the left keeps things mostly on track. Don't watch "The Footy Show", it is the absolute worst.
Also, yeah. This.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-13/fixture-top-of-the-agenda-for-club-ceos-meeting-with-the-afl

Still not entirely sure how conferences could even work. The "West" and Adelaide would see way higher costs in travel and such disproportionate to the East. How about.. not loving with things for a change? Gillon's proposal sounds entirely like fuckery that will backfire somehow.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
There's zero chance of the 17-5 system getting adopted because it compromises the big money spinner matches

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

There's zero chance of the 17-5 system getting adopted because it compromises the big money spinner matches

It might, actually. Though you do lose a bundle of genuine grudge matches (Carl v Coll, Showdowns, etc), games where high ranking teams play one another also draw whopping crowds and this system guarantees 6 weeks of top of the table clashes running into the finals.

There was a post on /r/afl today about St.Kilda v Brisbane drawing 52,000 to Etihad in 2004. That fixture would be lucky to get half that if it were played tommorow. 6 weeks of that kind of hype running into the finals is going to draw some nice crowds, and if they possibly restructure the draft (give the bottom 6 premier the #1 pick or something similar), it will remove those terrible dead rubber 'Bryce Gibbs Cup' type matches.

Also, even out the draw, greater equality, a closer and more even competition etc etc. But that's secondary to whether or not it will hurt the bottom line ofc.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Thanks for the information guys, I'll probably sign up for the UK version then.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

quote:

the bottom six teams would fight for draft positions.

What the gently caress does that mean?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Periphery posted:

What the gently caress does that mean?

Thunderdome

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Drugs posted:

Thunderdome

Hopefully. The only thing I can think of is that instead of the current reverse ladder order system we have now, that they'll use the performance of the bottom 6 teams for the final rounds (where they only play other bottom 6 teams) to determine draft order. So the team that finishes on top of that mini ladder gets pick 1 and the team that finishes last gets pick 6.

I can see why they'd think that's a good idea, but the only way I can see it not compromising the whole point of the draft is if the AFL is much more generous with priority picks. That way a team that finishes last would get pick 1 and 6 instead of 1 and 2, which seems like a better system than the old PP system.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, in theory having teams fight it out for better draft picks seems good, but it's not practical. Some teams are actually really loving bad and they shouldn't be getting pick 6 while a team finishing 13th gets pick 1

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I made an effortpost about a fixture similar to the 17-5 in the mid 2000s. Good times.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The system as it is now isn't perfect but now there is some kind of weight as to who plays twice its flexible enough that you can have your two derbies etc. It's not perfect but it works. Some of these proposals cause more new problems than they would solve. Let alone bringing back things in the style of the sectional round-robin that didn't work for the VFL in the 19th century when you had eight teams.

Doing a Scottish Premier League style split and then having the side finishing 13th getting the first draft pick is bad bad bad because at the moment, the 13th team finish with about 7-9 wins. Bring the split in, a team in 12th spot around R14-16 with little chance of making up ground to 8th might decide to tank and sneak into the bottom group, and if they fell out of the middle pack they're probably still going to be of the quality to able to tee off against the rock-bottom clubs, already with some wins in hand, and win the first pick as a reward.

In fact, this doesn't seem like much of an incentive for keeping supporters of the worst club "engaged to the finish of a season". They'll tune out like they normally would, plus they get the kick in the teeth of having #6 as their first pick.

Conferences? Well, you can either have one based on season ranking to keep the strengths balanced - which isn't hugely different to how it works now (and how the NRL actually do it), except perhaps a little more formalised and still a little less biased towards having the finals contenders play each other more often.

Geographic conferences I don't think is possible, at least with 18 teams, because of the way teams are spread out. I mean, you might have West, North, and South-East, with six teams each.

It's obvious which four of the clubs would each go into the West and North conferences, which would keep your derbies but then you've got to pick four Victorian teams who will have to travel a lot more often than the other six.

OK, hypothetical, you have West Coast, Freo, Adelaide and Port in that West group. Then you pick off the two westernmost Victorian teams (for the hell of it), which would be Geelong and Footscray (I still come out in hives when I have to type "WESTERN BULLDOGS" like it's a brand of butter). Suddenly Footscray have four trips a year to WA and SA, and they get to host interstate clubs four times. Which is not going to be fantastic for their attendances.

I would assume that we would still get a single ladder which eliminates half the appeal of having formal conferences anyway.

Ideally? I'd have some kind of situation where each club is guaranteed to play each other five times over four seasons and still include the two derbies a year as an exception. I'm cool with keeping that for the "interstate" clubs because of the advantage Victorian clubs get in not having to travel every second week.

(It might also work as four meetings over three seasons but that would involve extending the season by an extra game to fit it into the timeframe, which won't happen.)

Anyway we have a big-rear end final eight with the crossover and poo poo, which I think is ideal because it tends to buff out any anomalies in the final ladder.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

There is one other problem I realised while eating my wheaties, it's totally conceivable that a club riddled with injuries and poor form could be in 6th spot at round 17, and would otherwise have crashed right out the 8 in the subsequent 6 rounds. That lovely team is getting a guaranteed home elimination final under this system. If we changed it so the system isn't locked into groups, but the draw is still drawn up on ladder position at that time (i.e the team in 6th can still crash out, but they still gotta play the teams in 1-5 positions in the final rounds), that would solve some of those problems.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

There is one other problem I realised while eating my wheaties, it's totally conceivable that a club riddled with injuries and poor form could be in 6th spot at round 17, and would otherwise have crashed right out the 8 in the subsequent 6 rounds. That lovely team is getting a guaranteed home elimination final under this system. If we changed it so the system isn't locked into groups, but the draw is still drawn up on ladder position at that time (i.e the team in 6th can still crash out, but they still gotta play the teams in 1-5 positions in the final rounds), that would solve some of those problems.

If you make that change though, it's better to finish 7th than 6th if things are close because you can storm home to a potential double chance if it's a close year playing only the teams below you.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I kind of lurk in the NBA threads and they have me convinced that conferences are dumb and bad.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
execute all players from losing sides from finals and make the clubs play new lists the next year imo

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Chairchucker posted:

I kind of lurk in the NBA threads and they have me convinced that conferences are dumb and bad.

Why specifically? I mean, they sound dumb and bad but details for those who dont follow bball?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nutsngum posted:

Why specifically? I mean, they sound dumb and bad but details for those who dont follow bball?

Bearing in mind I haven't been able to watch any of the games themselves, just followed the chatter in the threads:

The Eastern conference has been bad for a very long time, so subpar teams that happen to be in the East have a better chance of getting to the finals than above average teams in the West. Then, (and this is also down to how the finals structure works I guess) the Eastern division finals is kind of boring compared to the West, in which all the much better teams are having epic series against each other. Also teams that are in terrible conferences get to play a bunch of rubbish teams more times per year.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Conferences are for when you either have existing leagues in that want to merge but largely keep doing their own thing but play the odd game against each other and finish the year with a superbowl/world series, or when you have a very and evenly regionalised competition and you want your South African/Australian/New Zealand teams to play more games in their own countries.

Nothing about the AFL points to conferences. Different finals systems are a different matter, but I acknowledge Hume's points on that.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The clubs voted against the 17-5 model at some meeting today. Also looks like the AFL will announce the new F/S and Academy bidding system sometime next week and maybe even trading of future draft picks.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So Andrew Jarman has been suspended from triple M for a bit. When discussing how to please the ladies, specifically dom cassisi's pregnant wife, he suggested to "just gently caress the guts out of them with your big cock". On-air. And the producers didn't decide to edit it out of the pre-recorded segment before running it.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 14, 2015

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
That has to be on the thread title shortlist

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

So Andrew Jarman has been suspended from triple M for a bit. When discussing how to please the ladies, specifically dom cassisi's pregnant wife, he suggested to "just gently caress the guts out of them with your big cock". On-air. And the producers didn't decide to edit it out of the pre-recorded segment before running it.

It's a shame, I used to really like Jarman on the drive home from work. I thought he was more intelligent than that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

He's been at least suspended for it now, hasn't he? The Herald Sun etc websites are reporting on it but it's behind the paywall so I'm not sure.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

He's been at least suspended for it now, hasn't he? The Herald Sun etc websites are reporting on it but it's behind the paywall so I'm not sure.

Yeah, not sure how long for.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Newton omitted while Matt Jones gets a game. I don't even fuckin know.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

"just gently caress the guts out of them with your big cock".

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Wait, Jack Watts was dropped and there isn't 400 new posts? There isn't even 1 about it?

You're slipping, MUYB.

• Locked thread