Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
There were some pretty good marks and goals this week: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-04-07/moty-goty-all-six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Nutsngum posted:

He ran into the back of an opposing player backing "sideways" metres away from the contest. The only reason he got off was that he gave Riewoldt whiplash instead of breaking ribs.

Yeah, that's what I don't get when people say that he did nothing wrong. He cannoned into Riewoldts back when Roo wasn't in the immediate contest, it's pretty clear what Bugg was trying to do.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Nutsngum posted:

He ran into the back of an opposing player backing "sideways" metres away from the contest. The only reason he got off was that he gave Riewoldt whiplash instead of breaking ribs.

He shouldn't have got off. The act of a total dickhead.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Periphery posted:

There were some pretty good marks and goals this week: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-04-07/moty-goty-all-six

Garlett harsh to miss out imo, either his strip the ball in the middle, run through traffic and kick it from outside 50 or Watts tap back into play on the goal line to Garletts volley

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Diet Crack posted:

I don't know if it's intentional, but your stats are missing a team.

Eagle eyed spotting there

Periphery posted:

Stay the hell away from Danger Hawks and Cats, he's ours :colbert:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 7, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

It would be bad enough if the cat got him, if Hawthorn get him burn down Glenferrie

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Gough Suppressant posted:

Garlett harsh to miss out imo, either his strip the ball in the middle, run through traffic and kick it from outside 50 or Watts tap back into play on the goal line to Garletts volley

The Watts tap/Garlett volley is in the top 10 this week. http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-04-06/the-10-round-1

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

Stay the hell away from Danger Hawks and Cats, he's ours :colbert:

He wants to win a premiership, so I'm not sure why he'd go from the top team on the ladder to the second bottom team.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

He wants to win a premiership, so I'm not sure why he'd go from the top team on the ladder to the second bottom team.

April Premiers 2015

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

It would be bad enough if the cat got him, if Hawthorn get him burn down Glenferrie

That'd be kinda hard to do now they've built a pool over part of it (Hawthorn can't have any real salary cap space left).

Would laugh if Essendon got him and then got popped for salary cap infringements.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Solid rainy afternoon watching some footy documentaries on youtube, The Year of the Dogs (more shots of wangs than I was expecting) and The Lost Years about the tigers. The tigers one was especially interesting as it explained why the club went broke in the late 80's early 90's, I just remember everyone rattling tins for them when I was a kid.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Diet Crack posted:

I don't know if it's intentional, but your stats are missing a team.
Meh no-one cares about West Coast anyway.

EDIT: I hate fencepost errors. West Coast are 933 so they're just above par.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 7, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

hiddenmovement posted:

April Premiers 2015

Hmmm, sounds like something a fan of a bottom two team would say.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Melbourne has legitimate selection problems this week :psyduck:

Dawes comes off suspension, and Vince should be fit, but who do you take out? Vince could probably come in for Toumpas on pure form, but Roos may want to show faith and give Toumpas a proper run at it rather than dropping him after one game.

Dawes is even harder, the obvious choice is Frost, but I reckon he would want to keep developing Frost as much as possible. If he can actually play second ruck then that's massive as he is capable down forward and in defence, as well as providing good run across the field.

Maybe Dawes and Vince have to run around at Casey for a few weeks and tear things up if they want back in the team.

Also Steele sidebottom :negative:

Don't think it's worth cutting him so down a bench player for 8 weeks

And Shiels

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 7, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It's fun watching Bontempelli play in person. It just seemed to go in slow motion when he did this.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dawes comes off suspension, and Vince should be fit, but who do you take out? Vince could probably come in for Toumpas on pure form, but Roos may want to show faith and give Toumpas a proper run at it rather than dropping him after one game.

Dawes is even harder, the obvious choice is Frost, but I reckon he would want to keep developing Frost as much as possible. If he can actually play second ruck then that's massive as he is capable down forward and in defence, as well as providing good run across the field.

Maybe Dawes and Vince have to run around at Casey for a few weeks and tear things up if they want back in the team.

Also Steele sidebottom :negative:

Don't think it's worth cutting him so down a bench player for 8 weeks

And Shiels

It's great to see you all happy about your team again :unsmith:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

hiddenmovement posted:

Also threatening a journo isn't very kosher, even if he is just a sports journo

phil davis actually did a fair bit of work in the media when he had that long term back injury the other year, makes sense that he would be on friendly terms with a lot of the footy media, which puts a different spin on things

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

phil davis actually did a fair bit of work in the media when he had that long term back injury the other year, makes sense that he would be on friendly terms with a lot of the footy media, which puts a different spin on things

Oh in that context, yeah it no longer sounds like he's going to give him a touch up in an alley

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

Oh in that context, yeah it no longer sounds like he's going to give him a touch up in an alley

Although he should, cause it's Barrett

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

And what the hell do we do with Grimes? Can our captain from 12 months ago seriously not get a game for Melbourne of all teams?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

xcore posted:

And what the hell do we do with Grimes? Can our captain from 12 months ago seriously not get a game for Melbourne of all teams?

Being made captain at such a young age totally hosed his development though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Grimes was playing off halfback, Salem is both better right now and someone we want to get as much games into as possible. Lumumba is one of the best players in the team and also more than capable of going through the midfield.

He's going to have to find a new position, have really good form for a few weeks in a row at Casey, or have us manage Salems workload in his second year to get back in the side.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Pretty quick turnaround by Melbourne once the AFL pulled their finger out and gave them money for a decent coach. It'd be interesting to read an honest accounting of what changes took place behind the scenes to bring about all this.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

It's round 1, everyone. GWS beat Sydney last year, remember?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Pretty quick turnaround by Melbourne once the AFL pulled their finger out and gave them money for a decent coach. It'd be interesting to read an honest accounting of what changes took place behind the scenes to bring about all this.

The literal firing of almost everyone from the football department and back office into the sun.

I think we have 2 coaching staff left from before the bailout and less than that in the executive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My brother is pretty sure the haemorrhaging stopped the day Melbourne sacked Schwab and Connolly. He's a Dockers fan.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

My brother is pretty sure the haemorrhaging stopped the day Melbourne sacked Schwab and Connolly. He's a Dockers fan.

It's hard to disagree really, they are loving poison everywhere they attach to. Peter Jackson has imo been a more important figure to us than Paul Roos

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, you guys had to have turfed your entire development department. Can only have so many first rounders just not improve.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The week that begun with Bailey about to get an extension and Schwab about to get fired and finished with Bailey getting fired and Schwab getting extended was a weird one.

At least you've kept Jade Rawlings!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

spamman posted:

The week that begun with Bailey about to get an extension and Schwab about to get fired and finished with Bailey getting fired and Schwab getting extended was a weird one.

At least you've kept Jade Rawlings!

That was pretty hosed. I don't know why the coach getting sacked meant we had to keep Schwab, but I don't know there's any way you avoid losing the coach when you lose by 36 loving goals

E:31 goals

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Having gotten a job at Richmond, done a decent job with the financials but failed dramatically when trying to impose himself on the football department, and then gotten a job at Fremantle, where he did a decent job with the money, but failed dramatically when he granted himself significant influence over the football department and list management decisions, and then gotten a job at Melbourne, where he did a decent job with the financials but failed dramatically when he granted himself significant influence over the football department and list management decisions, it seems pretty clear Schwab is another one of those CEOs who is loving terrible, but is a talker, and keeps holding onto jobs and getting more jobs because the CEO level is a loving merry go round no matter how bad you are.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

That was pretty hosed. I don't know why the coach getting sacked meant we had to keep Schwab, but I don't know there's any way you avoid losing the coach when you lose by 36 loving goals

E:31 goals

They may not have had the money to pay them both out.

But that doesn't explain why in fucks name they extended Schwabs contract.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

hiddenmovement posted:

It's round 1, everyone. GWS beat Sydney last year, remember?

Ah that takes me back…

Rougey posted:

Born and raised a South Melbourne support by my nutter of a father who uprooted his himself to move to Sydney, hell, my little sister was registered as a member before she was born. Was too young for 1996 and was devastated when they lost. I stormed the field on the 6 of June 1999 on that fateful day - hell, I still wear my Locket4 Red and White Scarf from this bloody freezing cold Saturday night in '97 when they ran out of Swans Scarfs - hell, I don't even remember the wooden spoon years before Plugger, and even cried when I saw them lose their fist home match, because in my young memory they never lost. I have my ticket from 2005 in a secure safe deposit box, that mark before the siren is etched into my memory. In 2006 I was doing my HSC and it couldn't be helped and it took me four years before I tried tequila again. In '09, when Mickey O retired, it dawned on me I couldn't recall a season where he didn't play. I was there for that unexpected showing of 2012 (still have that ticket in my wallet), and after attending two wins and missing both losses my old man is convinced that I'm the key to victory like some sort of voodoo magic; so long as I'm willing to shell out some dosh for fuel and accommodation I always have a ticket to any grand final Sydney gets.

I am a dyed in the wool bloods supporter.

Stoked that GWS beat us. Hell of a milestone for them.
Good times.

I also prepared a similar conciliatory post for the Dons during the third quarter on Saturday night, speaking about how it was good for the club, and it was great to see them come back so strong after such a dark time (also taking a moment to snidely comment that Ray Chamberlain is cheaper than pills), but overall congratulating them on the victory well fought.

But then :black101: happened and I deleted it.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 8, 2015

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

Having gotten a job at Richmond, done a decent job with the financials but failed dramatically when trying to impose himself on the football department, and then gotten a job at Fremantle, where he did a decent job with the money, but failed dramatically when he granted himself significant influence over the football department and list management decisions, and then gotten a job at Melbourne, where he did a decent job with the financials but failed dramatically when he granted himself significant influence over the football department and list management decisions, it seems pretty clear Schwab is another one of those CEOs who is loving terrible, but is a talker, and keeps holding onto jobs and getting more jobs because the CEO level is a loving merry go round no matter how bad you are.

Mate are you suggesting footy's a massive boy's club? Cause I'm not sure if I can comprehend such massive news

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shmoses posted:

Mate are you suggesting footy's a massive boy's club? Cause I'm not sure if I can comprehend such massive news

Actually I was saying being a CEO in general is a massive boys club, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Football was as well, the evidence has been slowly mounting.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

B-b-b-but he has experience!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Actually I was saying being a CEO in general is a massive boys club, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Football was as well, the evidence has been slowly mounting.

yeah, football ceo has got to be one of the most nepotistic loving jobs on the planet.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Testekill posted:

Being made captain at such a young age totally hosed his development though.

well the fact he missed the best part of a year with stress fractures in his back then the best part of a year with a broken foot probably held him back more.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also the dees managed to put in a 3 1/2 quarter performance at home against a gold coast side with no forward line and ablett clearly hampered all game.

a solid win against gws on the road would be great, but we wont really be able to see where the dees are properly at for 2015 until a couple of months at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lets keep the lid on it guys, lets not go dreaming about an 8 win year here

• Locked thread