Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Bootsma image :negative:

Great OP otherwise, looking forward to April when the footy starts (pre-season comp means nothing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

Here's an updated version of the Western Bulldogs banner with their new logo.

A little surprised none of the other logos seemed to have changed in three years given how clubs lurrrrve rebranding.

(I probably should redo the whole set using whatever font you used for the other titles, but :effort: )

The Carlton logo has changed... not the corporate/club logo though, just the on field logo.

Edit: gently caress, seems I hit draft instead of post a few hours ago.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
First time Collingwood have beaten the Hawks since september 2001. :stare:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

JohnSherman posted:

I'm honestly kind of stunned that using Hola and buying a WatchAFL subscription is superior to the offerings in your own country. I mean drat.

Rupert Murdoch is our head of state.

Also, loving hell Carlton. I don't care about pre-season but I turned on the radio on the way home just before... :(

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 27, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Gough Suppressant posted:

At one point Melbourne was the second most populous city in the British empire after London.

Less than 3 decades after it was founded, too.

Volkerball posted:

How split up is the fan base in Melbourne? Like if you go to Hawthorn is it mostly Hawks fans, Essendon Dons fans, North Norf fans, etc? Or is everybody just spread all over the city, with a bunch of people bandwagoning whichever team is good?

Now that the suburban grounds have all gone, less so. For the people in the inner suburbs you'd go for the team with their ground closest to you, so you could walk or catch a tram to the game every Saturday. Now that they are only training areas and not used for games (and that the majority of people live out in the middle of nowhere suburbia) it is about who you like or whatever team your dad grew up supporting.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 28, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

hiddenmovement posted:

Until they start serving my favourite bespoke saffron infused ginger sake I'm afraid all of this is a bit irrelevant to me :monocle:

SABMiller have the beer contract for another 9 nine years, so nah, that won't happen.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
1 month (minus 10 minutes) till start of footy

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'm happy with the result. Jones and Jackesh were decent. Tutt put in a good performance and Everitt will be a great anchor down back

Warnock is still dumb, Judd is still a trooper and wants a bigger butt.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 15, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
uh, what. visiting a mate maybe?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-16/ben-cousins-apprehended-inside-sas-barracks-in-perth/6321826

quote:

Ben Cousins caught inside secure perimeter of Perth's SAS barracks

Updated about 2 hours ago

Former AFL star Ben Cousins has been caught by police inside the secure facility of Perth's Special Air Service Regiment.

The 36-year-old was found inside the SAS Campbell Barracks in Swanbourne on Saturday night, but it is not known why he was there.

Cousins was taken to hospital, where he is believed to have undergone assessment at a mental health ward.
This was after the slow speed chase last week.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'm excited for Carltons win this Thursday night.

Didn't get reserved seats though, so I'll have to turn up early :(

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Collingwood hey?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-30/collingwood-jack-crisp-fined-for-betting-on-afl-games/6360208

quote:

Collingwood's Jack Crisp fined for gambling on AFL games, escapes suspension

Posted about an hour ago

Collingwood midfielder Jack Crisp has escaped a ban for placing bets totalling $129 on AFL markets while at former club Brisbane Lions in 2014.

The AFL fined Crisp $5,000 but he escaped a ban due to his co-operation with its investigation and he will be free to play his former club in round one.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-30/collingwood-jack-crisp-fined-for-betting-on-afl-games/6360208

How loving dumb are AFL players? I know they mostly forgo education but really, you risk your $70k+ salaries on dumb poo poo?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

I dunno, a lot of clubs try and make their players do some kind of study or vocational poo poo, even if it's just to keep them out of trouble and to give them something to do that isn't footyfootyfootyfooty. (Usually the ones who were actually good at school as well as footy.)

If they're doing a degree it takes them a bit longer since footy is so full-on they can only do it part time, but then there's ones you can't help.

I know, I was meaning more secondary education. Since that is when things start to fall into place for them and then bring in alcohol when they are what, 15+ with footyclub mates and such. Not all players, of course but man, if I was a footy player I wouldn't be going out at night risking an incident during the season, then again, I am a goon :v

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:siren: My hovercraft is full of eels :siren:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-03-27/blues-go-back-to-the-future

Sounds a bit silly but hey, whatever. Perhaps Fev can be our sub.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Game Day!

Blues by 3 goals. I'll be there tonight.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some hype highlights... hypelights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6S9RuV8Cuw

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hovercraft :siren:

Crowd is building up. Im stuck up on tire 3 row v because I didn't buy a reserved seat, at least I get use of the new LED tvs they installed...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Decent presentation, now that this is our home ground. The new animated screens allow for some cool things. They've 'renamed' the stands and put on a white picket fence so it is like how Princes Park was.

Carlton banner mentioned tigers fans microwaving memberships :laffo:

7 minutes, bring it on.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No pies at the footy! Outrageous!

E:oh that was a 'dogbar' so only chips and hotdogs, how American.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Every play was eyes on your own man and backs to the ball.

Nah, didn't even bother doing that.

It was a bad game of football overall, Richmond were just a bit better at sucking a little less.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Doctor Cave posted:

Okay, reminder for next year, don't tip Sydney in round one.

>:D

Suck it druggies.

Bulldogs should be 5 goals in front.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 4, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Why not both?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
All AFL commentators should learn this:

quote:

Richie Benaud's tips for commentating

Never ask a statement.
Remember the value of the pause.
There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'.
Avoid cliches and banalities, such as 'he's hit that to the boundary', 'he won't want to get out now', 'of course', 'as you can see on the screen'.
The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
Concentrate fiercely at all times.
Above all, don't take yourself too seriously, and have fun.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hooray, another poo poo season to look forward to, thanks John Elliot.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Uhh, Brett Ratten played in three Grand Finals tyvm.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

Gees vs Dees, a modern day classic.

Bulldogs have the best banner slogans.

Two weeks in a row the opposition banner has mentioned Richmond memberships in microwaves.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sav Rocca has joined the Blues in a coaching role to teach us how to kick.

Not sure what to think of this.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I don't know about that...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
put volkerball on suicide watch

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That starfish has a bone to pick.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Chapman a shitheel, no surprise

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
4 blood rules in the first quarter, chapman getting a concussion test after starting a fight with Yarran and getting punched in the face.

Nobody can kick straight. Another draw like the last two times carl & the drugs met?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
0-3 start for the blues for the last three seasons. Rip this season.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He'll get 2 or 3 weeks, because he didn't start the fight, just ended it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Essendon got off lightly.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

On the up side, firing squad for divers, that sort of malingering isn't tolerated

Australia did not execute soldiers, plus Australian soldiers were paid 3 times as much as British troops, much to their anger.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Australia, the salary cap and tribunal cheats of WW1.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
You mean they read an article about madison avenue ad men in the latest news section of the Mercury.

(Tassie behind the times joke)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Injuries everywhere.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
66 point turnaround, not the best game but at least its a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

By the time the AFL takes over Docklands (either at the end of the original contract or under an accelerated buy-out) they'll have to think about some kind of refurbishment. Still, the sooner it happens for the clubs that are stuck there, the better.

EDIT: Not calling it by the temporary name.

They'll build a new stadium nearby at the new e-gate precinct closer to norfmelbourne station. The land docklands stadium is on is too valuable, worth 2 billion easy even if a third of it was kept as parkland.

It won't remain after 2030.

• Locked thread