Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I missed the Geelong one.

2015 PREDICTION TIME!

Port - Awesome. Young. Premiers
Hawthorn - Aweomse. Old. Runners up.
Sydney - Very good, no Malcheski, Goodes is old
North - This is predicated on their older players not falling apart but yeah they should go at least as well
Richmond - I'm writing in hope more than anything but their midfield was legit decent at times last year and they have some real talent so this is my smoky pick for the year
Geelong - I can't tell. I'm not impartial. Extreme concerns over the depth of the midfield. Could finish anywhere from 4th to 10th imo
Fremantle - Also old
GC - Should sneak in

Brisbane - Should be miles better but their key stocks are lovely
Radelaide - Will spend all year being destabilized by the Dangerfield question, which will be resolved when Dangerfield goes to Hawthorn on a million bucks a year
West Coast - I cannot see a reason to be excited about them this year I just cannot
Essendon - :goatdrugs:
Footscrazy - Lost a lot of senior players last year, I think they did well in the trade period but we wont see it for at least another season
Collingwood - No Beams, No Lumumba, dubious trade ins, Swan's getting old
Melbourne - I wanna think they will be better but then I shut my eyes and see the GWS game late last and yeah nah
Carlton - Crap
St.Kilda - Total rebuild mode
GWS - :gitgud:

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

A reminder that Schmoses and I will be at the Rose in Fitzroy on Saturday to watch Richmond surge to a massive lead before capitulating in hilarious fashion

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Broadcast it for free on in the internet if you want people to show interest

Also:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/cocaine-scandal-flies-close-to-suns-20150225-13p05q.html

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

Ok, first pass of edits made, included all the things you've brought up. I'm also watching that F1RST BOUNCE AFL morning show with Campbell Brown and Cameron Ling and it's not terrible! Shock!
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-26/new-live-show-first-bounce

I actually know Nat. She's been spamming this all over facebook.

Gough Suppressant posted:

The long hard summer is almost over, friends. Soon we shall open the throat of a new season and slake our thirst on it's lifeblood.

I was going to have a glass of Sarsparilla but ok

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Cpaf just complain about the umpiring if anyone tries to talk to you about a particular match

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Did you see that disgraceful performance last night?"

"The trouble with Arsenal is they always try and walk it in." "Holy gently caress Ray Chamberlain/Brian Taylor is such a dickhead."

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

To be fair if I won the hard ball and ran forward to see that Jarryd Grant was the best forward to kick to I'd just give it back to the other team as well

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

When is that lovely deal finally due to expire (and could the Dogs conceivably play the GWS at Whitten Oval?)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Ok so Mitch Clark (boo) and Nakie Cockatoo (yay) have been named for the cats as well as Sam Blease(!). When the gently caress did we dredge him up? How did I forget/miss that?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Christensen wasn't that fast. He was more of a see ball get ball kinda guy.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

btw a certain fairly easily googlable stream that was popular last year is back online

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

FOOTBALL

FRAWLEY SUCKING

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'd laugh but it's just a matter of time before Clark's legs explode and the shards of flying bone kill Selwood and Johnson

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 26, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Btw volker the main reason its fake isnt because of the silly rules its because most of the time teams leave half their list out. A cursory examination of tonights teams shows me no Hodge, Lewis, or Pendlebury. I don't think I've seen Gibson either.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

drunkill posted:

First time Collingwood have beaten the Hawks since september 2001. :stare:

Um you mean 2011 yes

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think Ballantyne is funny.

Ballytyne is hateable in a purely amusing way, even when he's making GBS threads on Steve Johnson I still find him funny.

Milne was just flat out reviled.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Spedman posted:

To be honest I was always a bit surprised by the level of hate directed at Ballantyne, he plays hard but carries on like pork-chop sometimes, not exactly grounds for a witch hunt.

He draws attention to himself, any player that does that draws ire. It's a tall poppy syndrome thing and it doesn't matter if the attention is bad (Jason 'lookatme' Akermanis) or good (Adam 'literally Australian of the year' Goodes). Of course in the case of Goodes it brings out the closet racists as well but it's the same thing initially.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

See I never minded Jake King much either. At least he was kinda funny.

What was wrong with Chris Lewis? I vaguely recall him having a thing for hitting people was that it?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

No one seems to be bothering to spoil in the NAB

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

There's a cricket world cup on?

The cricket world cup is getting some really substantial crowds, I thought it was going to be an hilarious non event as well but I was sorely mistaken. You can't ignore 90,000 at the G and 45,000 at Adelaide oval.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

So between Waters, Glass, and McKenzie, who is actually defending for West Coast now?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Brown Paper Bag posted:

If the ACL is confirmed today, McGovern and Mitch Brown will have to hold down the KPD spots.

Second year player Jeremy McGovern? Blargh rip WC.

Also a final reminder I'm going to the Rose today to watch the doggies if anyone wants to join

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

That's the one.

That's in Essendon??? Wow something good came out of the north west for once

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Australia are getting annihilated by NZ in the cricket

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The tv and internet has proven to me that cricket is way more popular than I thought, and accusations of it being daggy and outdated are badly offmark. I have also learned that there are loving loads of Indians in this city.

Christchurch is packed to the loving rafters

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

I'm more having a go at channel 9 than anything.

Oh you mean the lovely coverage? Yeah it's sucked arse, this is the first game I've seen.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Testekill posted:

hooray footballs back :negative:

EDIT: A couple of days after arguing that Matty Boyd isn't going to be very important at all this season and would be phased out, we're literally right back to him being a main engine room player.

Also apparently Nathan Hrovat has a punctured lung. That's just wonderful.

I'm loving terrified for Geelongs match tommorow now

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Breaking news - Ablett still stalling on contract negotiations with Geelong Gold Coast, expected to sign soon.
1/03/20102015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Eh they're about equally neutered. No Joshnson, Enright, Selwood, or about 5 other guys.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Darcy Lang only young cats player of note. Billie Smedst still sprays it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Murdoch stinking it, Smedst doing those 1% type things well but bad at the rest

EDIT: Getting eaten alive around the stoppages, younger midfielders ineffective, Mitch Clarke can't be made fun of because he has been parked deep forward and it barely went there this quarter. Worst possible result thus far.

EDIT 2: No one has died on the field so until that happens this has acually been a pretty good game compared to the Bulldogs and WCE recent outings.

EDIT 3: Good stuff from most of our established players but Murdoch and Smedts have been crap. They need to have good seasons or the knife beckons. Darcy Lang has been solid and Nakia Cockatoo has shown a bit. Mitch Clark looks fit but he's managed to drop just about every single mark and hasn't really rucked at all, Dawson Simpson has been smacked about by Zac Clark.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 1, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

realbez posted:

Nononono you're doing it wrong. If you have that many consecutive comments about the game that you want to make and nobody else is posting to break up the comments, you just post them all in consecutive posts anyway.

Lol, wouldn't that just fill entire pages up with annoying crap people may not want to read? I can't imagine who would do something that obnoxious.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Nakia Cockatoo looks like he's going to be a player. Darcy Lang as well.

Mitch Clark will be a supercoach must have, as dirty as selecting him will feel.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I'm sure many people will pay 10$ for a red rooter servo roll when there's a hotdog next door for 5$

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

You're probably the sort of person that never buys food at the ground though, for the kinds of people that do (such as people with little kids), it adds up fast. It was certainly a heavily complained about problem last year.

But look, they're trying to improve all the non football parts of going to the footy. It's a good move and I can't fault em. They've unfucked the fixture, let kids back on the ground, cut food prices, and are probably going to buy out the schmucks that run Etihad soon. A good start to the year IMO.

What do people think about a return to wet and dry stands? Isolate the kids with families, let everyone else let their hair down a little more? Or were wet and dry horrible old policies that didn't work?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

Yeah with kids it's expensive, plenty of times I'll just get a coke and chips and the guy in front of me with 2 kids will end up getting told his food is $50+

But then again, I'm not a big fan of taking kids to the footy anyways so maybe they should be more expensive as a deterrent :v:

Shame crust isn't going down, but it really only is fake-crust, not as good as the actual store-bought crust.

I feel like the MCG is forcing our hand with food/drink talk a lot earlier this season.

Until they start serving my favourite bespoke saffron infused ginger sake I'm afraid all of this is a bit irrelevant to me :monocle:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Local SANFL games have wet and dry sections (at the Parade, at least) which just leads to the wet area being chockers while the dry area has plenty of room for kids to kick the footy.

Sounds like the dry section needs to be smaller is all

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

So I was looking at the crowd stats for last year, and found a few things that are pretty interesting.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=A&h=A

Bombers drew monster crowds in spite of being mediocre and hamstrung by idiocy. Melbourne still gets an average crowd of 30,000 in spite of being comically awful. GWS, despite being as if not more comically awful and brand spanking new in a relatively hostile area, still get 10,000~ people to their home games.

I can't help but wonder what will happen when these 3 actually develop legitmately good teams.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Richmond and Melbourne get consistently excellent attendances relative to their ladder positions. Unless they are also bringing those pets to the games those members are mostly paid up human beings.

What may be inflating the numbers is the selling of 3 or even 1 game memberships, which allow you to nominally call yourself a member even though you only have time to turn up to a few marquee matches a year. These are good options for people who may have life commitments that dont allow for the footy but still wish to support their club financially.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

I've been a interstate member all the time, which is usually five games plus away members tickets to the game/s in my state. Of late, I can usually only manage to come down once or twice a year though and usually try to tie it in with some other things to do.

Sydney is an obscenely expensive city to visit with no good cheap accommodation options (I had to go on one occasion last year and that blew my travel budget for the year), at least with Melbourne I know which of the "cheap" hotels are comfortable and which ones to avoid.

airbnb bro

Volkerball posted:

really? if the dees ever made the 8, i'd bandwagon the poo poo out of them.

Tigers for me. Every year I hope they are actually good instead of just funny. I guess I get my entertainment either way but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

Sleep in someone's skanky sunroom?

If your budget is 30$ a night, then yeah thats probably what you will wind up with.

• Locked thread