Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Spedman posted:

From recent memory I can think of a few, Steven Milne, Tony Liberatore, Greg Williams

Don't forget Carey, also going back a bit further I always loved to hate Chris Lewis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A question re broadcasting:

Is/would Brad McNamara, (the man largely resposnible for how awful Channel 9's cricket coverage is), be anywhere near their footy coverage?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Those ACL stats make sense though, you're less likely to do a knee when you're in prime condition and all your muscles/tendons/ligaments are adapted to the strain. That's why they tell players not to go 100% unless they have to in the preseason, yet it still leads to innocuous injuries.

That's why you see young players, and those with something to prove do their injuries in pre-season. Co-incidentally these are the injuries that break your heart.

The old guys, and those assured of a spot in the team when the real season starts treat teh pre-season as it should be treated, glorified practice matches that can and should be avoided.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

cpaf posted:

Well my NRL team is the Brisbane Broncos, who are owned by Rupert Murdoch, are the only NRL team to align with sides of politics while making donations to said sides of politics (the Newman government no less) and when their games are being commented on by Ray Hadley are the beneficiaries of his overwhelming praise at all times. Lucky I follow the kangaroos to balance that out though.

James Brayshaw is a oval office. And as a North supporter, I blame you personally for him and his atrocious cricket commentary.

edit: To make a serious point though, I doubt there is any major sports team anywhere in the world that is not owned/run buy horrible horrible people. And if there is, then that sports team probably has horrible horrible people playing for them, and if they don't then they are supported bu horrible horrible people.

In short: people are cunts, people involved at the highest level of sport exponentially so.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 18, 2015

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

I'm new to this, so please reassure me that I'm not secretly supporting neo-nazis or something by being a Swans fan.

The Swans have been owned in the past by supercunt Geoffrey Edelston. Also they cheat by using 'Cost Of Living' rules and free agency to 'steal' players from other clubs. Also Adam Goodes plays for them, which depending on how racist you are prepared to be, means that you are supporting literally worse than Pol Pot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

TG-Chrono posted:

Oh regarding Supercoach. It's not like you have to do twice the work with two leagues, you have the same team across both. I've also got a league that needs more people. 189275

Just joined this league. My team is hot trash made up of players whose names I like, and who will never win a game. I also will probably forget about it after a couple of weeks and never update it. YAY! May it forever be an annoyance/whipping boy to the teams around it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

pkid posted:

Just watched the replay, go Tiges!

Also for the Pro Wrestling nerds in the thread, if you ever have the chance to see a New Japan local show, do it, it was a hell of a lot of fun. I got a New Japan x Hello Kitty t-shirt which if we ever have a goon meet I will ensure I wear.

A couple of years ago I had the chance to see 2 NJPW/CMLL joint promoted shows at Korakuen Hall. and you are not wrong about how much fun it is.

But yay for football!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

woot woot. i dont even know how long its been since we have won in round 1

10 years according to Dermie

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The Gold Coast guernsey is OK, the logo is soulless and corporate though.

GWS's one however fills me with hatred. It looks nothing like anything a supporter could seriously get behind, and everything that Aadrian in Marketing thought would sell best to 'cross-market clients'

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also on GAJ 'converting' his teammates: Surely if you were looking for a group of gullible, impressionable young men you couldn't pick better than 17-19 year old footy players, coming to a new city in a new state, and then having their captain, a figure of authority who they have probably idolised from afar, tell them about the way and the light and Jebus and the evils of sin and anti-inflammatories etc.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Jesus Christ.

Don't blaspheme. Gary Ablett Jr. doesn't like it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Too much masterbation.

No such thing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In regards to dropping/killing clubs, (which I personally think is a stupid idea): where do you stand on the new expansion clubs?

GWS are losing money, have no popular support, and are being propped up financially by the AFL. Do we drop them? What arbitrary period of time do we give them to become profitable before they get axed?

Also, why is profitability the main issue? In a hypothetical situation where you have a club that is a financial powerhouse, but with no supporter base and languishes at the bottom of the ladder what should we do then?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

gently caress you Tony Abbott. gently caress you in all holes intelligently designed by a benevolent deity for the purposes of loving.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Off Malthouse and back on Goodes:

I reckon the reason that the racists boo, (and make no mistake it is the racists that boo Goodes), is less to do with the fact that he is black, and more to do with the fact is he is an 'uppity' black that calls out racism and racists when he sees it, and refuses to meekly accept his role like "one of the good ones".

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I just saw Bryan "Wowee, fuckin poofters" Taylor stand up for Adam Goodes' celebration.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

On the GCFC drinking/professionalism issues:

Firstly, how unprofessional do you have to be to drink on the night before a game? Also to hide in your hotel room to do it? It is reminiscent of kids on school camp.

Secondly, (and this is complete and utter conjecture), perhaps it is a thing of they have Ablett, the known hyper-churchy dude leading prayer meetings and stuff, so the 'rowdy' element in the club goes entirely the other way. This binary creates a schism in the club, where neither faction trusts the other to not rat them out/tempt them into sin.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

So who wants to bet that collingwood are going to boo Lumumba

Of course they are, Goodes isn't playing and you have to boo a ni..., I mean ap...., I mean dirty, diving, something something player for the good of the game.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In unrelated news, I just found out that Mitchell Starc, (Test bowler), is a GWS fan. So apparently there are some out there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

For those who don't know, before being a Liberal Party MP for thirty years Wilson Tuckey was a publican and assaulted an indigenous man with a length of steel cable while patrons held the man down on the ground. Tuckey proudly embraced the resulting nickname of "ironbar" for his entire tenure in federal parliament.

I knew Wilson Tuckey was a weapons-grade fuckwit, but I did not know that was how he got his nickname.

How did they manage to sweep that under the carpet? Why didn't Labour bring it up anytime Tuckey tried to do anything?

sorry for the politics chat.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Wasn't it Thailand where some Bulldogs players got into trouble on an end of season trip not too long ago for getting pissed and jumping in front of peoples cars?

It may have been Hong Kong or SIngapore if my terrible memory serves.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The players as a whole may feel like they have to play if that's presented as an option.

If a player doesn't want to play but the playing group as a whole decides to that player will feel pressured to do so.

If a player today decides today he wants to play but then doesn't feel up to it on Sunday he'll feel pressured to do so.

There will likely be some amount of criticism of whatever decision is eventually made, and I'd rather the players be divorced from that decision making process.

Those are my reasons for why it shouldn't be left up to them.

I agree with all of these points. It should be called off now, (the Adelaide Geelong game at least and maybe even the rest of the round), and fallout/comsequences dealt with later.

A man is dead. This is more important than a game.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also, given that this situation is so unprecedented, any decision that is made over this week/round will have huge ramifications if God forbid, something like this ever happens again.

I am in favour of just scrapping the whole round and dealing with the consequences of that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Windmill Hut posted:

don't worry guys i'm here to take over MUYBs demons gameday stressed shitposting role

You're doing the lords work.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Just looked at my SuperCoach team for the first time in over a month, and it turns out that I won a game! YAY!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

thepokey posted:

Now renowned intellect Dermott Brereton has weighed in by suggesting that Goodes needs to look at how he carries himself on the field and his theatrics in order to minimise booing.

Ahh yes, Brereton sure knew a thing about keeping theatricality, antics, shenanigans, and crowd/opposition baiting to a minimum when he played.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The thing that got me was that the dude who got kicked out for saying "get back to the zoo", claimed that the comment was directed "at general play".

Look at the sort of mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance he has to have so he can claim to himself that he is not a racist. (All while booing the gently caress out of a black man because he is black)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Eddie McGuire is a oval office of the highest calibre.

I am watching vaughnlive, and they have put on the "press red for ed" thing. It is as execrable as you would imagine.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

gently caress you Eddie. gently caress you in all holes available for loving!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Can I add to my previous assertion "gently caress you Eddie McGuire", the just as powerful "gently caress you Peter Helliar, and whover told you Strachnie was funny"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Sad Eddie is best Eddie.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Bwahahaha Eddie and Tony Shaw just cracking the sads, and throwing their headphones off and sooking off.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

To be fair they havent played awful for the last 6 weeks they've just been unlucky most of the ti-.... drat you Buckley for making me sympathetic to the woods you bastard!

Anytime you want to go back to hating Collingwood, just think of Eddie, and the hate will return.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I was going to post the James Hird "But someone else should pay for my frivolous appeals" thing. He has a serious issue with taking responsibility for the consequences of his actions/inactions.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

You know, after all the ugliness that was "boo-gate", as I artlessly decide to call it, I thought that one of the good things to come of it was the outpouring of support, (Richmond and Footscray wearing their indigenous jumpers, Melbourne with the wristbands, the entire Sydney crowd cheering at the 7th minute of the 3rd quarter, as well as the support coming from other sports).

I truly thought that this was the silent majority standing up to the retarded fuckwits. But with Newmans comments, ("where's white male hetero round? boohoo"), it seems like all the good feeling was in vain.

I actually hope that some fuckknuckle tries to boo Goodes on the weekend, only to have everyone around him in the crowd turn and beat them to a bloody pulp.

I mean, sadly it seems to be the only way to show them that the continual, targeted harrassment of someone who dares to speak out against racism is not on.

And on that point - what the booing has done has made the next aboriginal, (or gay, or transgendered, or in any way outspoken), footballer less likely to say or do anything that might upset the status quo, because seeing the poo poo that Goodes copped for it they will decide it's not worth it. And that is a real tragedy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sorry to distract with football talk but I reckon Jack Watts might be on his way to becoming a pretty good footballer

Hehe

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

No, but my lame claim to adjacent minor internet fame is that I have met the guy. (We have some mutual friends.)

He seems like a nice enough bloke in real life, though we didn't talk footy at all.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've never fully come to grips with the names of the finals in the final 8 era. (Qualifying. Elimination, Semi, etc.)

Qualifying sounds reasonable enough. 1st week of the finals to get rid of the also-rans. Elimination also sounds fair enough. You lose and you are eliminated, as opposed to the week before.

I always just refer to it as 1st week of the finals, 2nd week of the finals and 3rd week of the finals. And I don't think I am alone in this

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...831-gjbzcc.html

In Essendon surprisingly not being arseholes news:

Someone said something racist and homophobic about Courtney Dempsey on social media, (Instagram?), he wants to take it to the cops as cyber-bullying, and the club is standing by him and supporting him all the way.

One one hand - boohoo, somebody said something mean about you on the internet.

But on the other, far more important hand - cyber bullying is a real thing that hurts a lot of people. Racism, homophobia, are rife on social media and this is not a good thing in any way. Also it is great to see someone stand up and say "Hey, it is not cool to call me, or anyone, those things and you will be called to account for doing so." Even if it goes nowhere, I like the fact that poo poo like this isn't getting swept under the rug anymore. And hopefully this will shame/stop people from doing it so casually in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also in pointless statistical nonsense: Melbourne beat more teams in the top 8 than Collingwood.

• Locked thread