Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

BrigadierSensible posted:

Don't forget Carey, also going back a bit further I always loved to hate Chris Lewis.

Chris Lewis was my favourite player when I was really young. Him and Dunstall.

I don't mind Ballantyne either. At least he isn't Jake King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Volkerball posted:

I'm a Raiders, Avalanche, and Suns fan. I deserve a good team in at least one sport. For real, I don't watch much rugby, so when I do, I like it to be new zealand. They're so good it's incredible to watch. It reminds me of the Soviet hockey team back in the day. So much better than anyone else, it's silly.

Dude, we just got to watch like twenty years of Joe as Avs fans so there isn't that much complaining you can do.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Drugs posted:

yesssss

Whoa

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

This is a pretty loving poor result for player welfare.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

The Social Litigator did a piece on where the Essendon saga is at today.

http://sociallitigator.com/2015/04/03/a-question-of-proof-might-an-asada-appeal-have-legs/

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

First time over 100 since round 14, 2013.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

realbez posted:

This is pretty insipid from Sydney. You'd think they'd be breathing fire after what they served up in the grand final.

Didn't they start last year by losing to GWS?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Adelaide looking like the Adelaide of mid last year again. Fun team to watch.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Watching Shaun Burgoyne play is one of life's great pleasures.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

The week that begun with Bailey about to get an extension and Schwab about to get fired and finished with Bailey getting fired and Schwab getting extended was a weird one.

At least you've kept Jade Rawlings!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think he got a rep as Peter Schwab's assistant during Hawthorn's false dawn in the early noughties.

100% coaching record baby. (Thanks to Ben Dixon)

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Shmoses posted:

You can read into whatever you want but it's pretty clear he's been sledged for his mental health issues which is completely not ok in any way, shape or form.

I don't think it's clear that he's even been sledged at all. It's literally only comments from Joel Selwood working off of third hand info.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Isn't Andrew Mackie supposed to be the biggest sledger around?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

gabensraum posted:

I just became a member of North Melbourne! This is not a drill!

Whoa. You get tickets with that?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

And has now been an assistant coach in two more (premierships).

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I kind of want to see him stay at Adelaide. They seemingly lose a good player every year.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Testekill posted:

Could argue that losing Dangerfield would have a bigger effect on the Crows then the Hawks losing Buddy.

After the fact sure.

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'd just like to see a year when the grand finalists don't improve their list compared to the rest of the competition.

Well we didn't do it in 2013-2014. And Freo certainly didn't either. Additionally, Sydney have gotten worse this year.

The only problem with free agency is that it punishes clubs that are run by idiots.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Whenever I watch Ricky Petterd he takes strong marks in the forward line. Granted I watch him maybe twice a year.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Might as well post a loving banme now thanks Melbourne you insipid talentless pack of overpaid loving losers I hope your plane crashes on the way home

Wow, that was sudden.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Ugh, that was pretty awful footy but it'll be a good learning experience for the kids.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

snaeksikn posted:

to be fair to the come home factor i struggle to name any big name WA player who has come back to perth and done well. most of them turn to poo poo the moment they come home. bell is the only one i can think of who did well

Jeff Farmer and Tyson Stenglein were both pretty great.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Finally

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Ahahaha, that's amazing. Just laughed in an empty room for a couple of minutes.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Ahahaha

Fantastic.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

This thread when the Dees are playing

Sure but to be fair to this thread that's when the Dees are playing.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

monolithburger posted:

Holy gently caress, Adam Goodes, what a legend.

Yeah, pretty sweet response.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Was at the Tigers game tonight and holy poo poo footy seems so much worse this year than most recent years. Why is it suddenly so difficult for teams to string three possessions together these days? Also Essendon play negative, cynical and ugly footy.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Shmoses posted:

I wrote a thing on Adam Goodes for Me? I Like Football. Wasn't sure about posting it here but I'm proud of it and want it out there.

Holy poo poo you're writing for that? Nice! A dude from a forum I occasionally use started it maybe six months ago. Happy he's found some non-Hawk contributors.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Hawks just bought 28 hectares of Dingley for new facilities (probably).

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-06-02/newbolds-letter-to-members

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

It won't be ready for 5-10 years apparently either.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Joel Selwood performed a moving tribute to Chris Judd last night in the wake of that terrible injury.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Shmoses posted:

I'm guessing that gif comes from a Hawks forum and Selwood will get nothing.

Nailed it!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Do this Suns. For comedy.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Balls

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Argh.

Stupid false hope.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Nothing I love more than a player giving a fend of then getting tackled by that arm. Super defence.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

St. Kilda's skills are pretty horrible but the effort Richardson gets out of them is pretty incredible. They play a pretty positive brand of footy too.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

poo poo that's a good goal.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Addiction is utterly hosed. You just hope that having high profile successful players like Guerra and Schwarz come out about their experiences let's people in those situations know that there's some loving hope and that they can take agency over their illness a bit at a time.

Indeed. He's very lucky that he's been able to find the right support structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Am I the only person who watches footy that thinks that punching someone unawares in the stomach to wind them should actually cause a suspension just to cut it out of the loving game? Hawks are well documented doing it, but Dunn did it on I think Selwood on the weekend, and it's just loving poo poo. It's not tough, it's not clever, it's just loving idiot thuggery encouraged by the AFL moving to fines instead of suspensions by fuckwits in the media like Wayne Carey talking about how the game should be tough (tough like glassing your loving girlfriend, presumably).

For mine, there should be a far greater weighting given to intent than there currently is when it comes to the MRP. If you try to take someone out of the play or even just intimdate them by punching them in the stomach, gently caress off for a week idiot. There's so much talk about sling tackling and respect for umpires needing to be addressed for the sake of the standard it sets to the lower levels. How about setting the standard that punching someone who doesn't see it coming is the exact loving opposite of being tough or courageous. It makes you a weak little poo poo.

I think the problem is that the third umpire (who's entire reason for existing is to call off the ball stuff) doesn't call this kind of stuff early enough. Players wouldn't do it if they gave away a free in the first minute of a game for it. But they don't and you see a defender and a forward going at each other for a whole match and of course it escalates. Catch it early and there's no problem.

• Locked thread