Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Awesome OP. It was well worth the wait.

FOOTBALL TONIGHT :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

...except in Tasmania, where he'll forever be loathed for handing the 18th license to West Sydney rather than Tasmania, economic sense be damned.

Great OP and go the Dees hopefully the Dees don't suck quite so bad this year!

I think Gil Mclachlan has his eye set on establishing a Tassie team as soon as possible. I vaguely remember him being asked about it and him giving a fairly positive but non committal answer. I dunno if that will be via a merge (hopefully not) or by further expansion when GWS and GC get more established.

Testekill posted:

I think 2023 or somewhere around then. And I would love to see GWS play at Whitten Oval just because it would be literally the most hostile crowd that I'll ever see.

Or if the AFL buys it early, which sounds like it could happen sooner rather than later.

Xpost from bigfooty cause I'm lazy and can't be bothered getting past the paywall:

quote:

Todays Financial Review had a very interesting article on Etihad ownership. Main points were:
  • The current fund and institutional owners are agitating for a sale of the stadium
  • They want to cash out of the stadium deal before handover for $30 in 2025, as per the terms of their 1999 agreement
  • In recent refinancing of their stadium debt a number of the owners refused to put in any more money. Refinancing was only rescued when one of the owners guaranteed $30 million of the debt
  • The AFL has made 3 approaches to the owners of the stadium in the last 12-18 months.
  • Said that Gillon McLachlan has buying out the stadium ownership as one of his 3 priorities on assuming the top AFL job
  • AFL believes it could make immediate savings at the stadium by taking over the Etihad back office functions
  • The AFL believes that with interest rates at an all time low and with possible savings, they can put in means of "easing the fiscal burden of several clubs that play the majority of their home games at Etihad stadium but receive little in the way of financial return for doing so."
  • The stadium currently pays their owners $30-35 million in earnings, before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation
  • It is believed that both parties had previously been $30-40 million apart, with the current owners asking for $200 million. But with the division in owners ranks and their desire to get out of the stadium, the AFL are in the box seat for these negotiations

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Saints v Lions and the Crows v North games have been given the go ahead to be live streamed via the clubs websites.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints are getting pretty hammered in the midfield. Brisbane lead the disposals 97 - 71 and the contested possessions 35-26. This could get messy if the Lions start to convert their chances.

Stream looks like it's filmed on a potato and the commentary, which is better than the normal poo poo (just), cuts out and you can hear staff telling little kids to stay away from the field microphone. Even so this is still better than nothing.

E: those stats are at the end of the first.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 28, 2015

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Haha a kid just started singing "twinkle twinkle little star" into the field mic.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Caleb Daniel isn't playing? Well I guess I have no reason to watch the Bulldogs play. :colbert:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Oh god apparently Billings has been subbed and was limping heavily. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

E: Saints twitter reporting it's just precautionary for hammy tightness.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 28, 2015

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Liberatore hurt his knee. Here's hoping it isn't an ACL.

E: AFL 2015 - ACL murder zone.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
More injury news: Farren Ray is out for the first 2 months of the H&A season after blowing up the tendon in his right hammy. Savage and Roberton both did hammies on the same day as Ray but luckily are not nearly as bad and they should be ready for round 1.

Most people don't rate Ray very highly but he's been a solid contributor for a very long time now and we need all the experience and depth we can get at the moment. The only upside is that Ray being out will give more time for a kid to play.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Big kick in the teeth isnt it. Still we have been lucky with injuries so far vs the other teams so it was only inevitable. But yes, losing Ray is going to be a problem due to his experience.

Yeah, I'd much prefer our injuries to the ACL's we've been seeing. It's just kinda annoying that we've had 4 hammies in the last week. The Saints have been talking about how we've upped the running and fitness - which is a good thing - but I just hope it doesn't cost us too much in injuries.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Doctor Cave posted:

with arguably the most insane fans.

The other day a cop told me that Richmond is the worst club for incidents at Etihad.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I would press all the red buttons to see a Saints game commentated by Eric Bana.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

How long have you been waiting to post that?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It was worth the wait.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Gough Suppressant posted:

Gotta live for the small things as a Melbourne supporter

How did Hogan look? I missed the game but his stats look alright.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Seb Ross was having a really good game till he did his hammy. gently caress the NAB challenge. gently caress injuries.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Let fans bring instruments into the cheer squad sections of the ground and have them audition to get a 'license' so that we know they can actually play half decently. Maybe direct them to restrict their playing to after goals or before center bounces or something?

One thing the Saints are doing to help with crowd atmosphere at Etihad is to change the way they do ticketing to get more people behind the goals and around the bottom of the ground first. Too bad we'd need more than 5 people to turn up to the games to make this work, but at least they are trying.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
This Mitch Clark guy is pretty good.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Shmoses posted:

Nakia Cockatoo is going to be the best player in the history of football, get around him

Jack Billings :colbert:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I hope you all have Jack Newnes in your teams.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Joe Daniher looks like he's finally putting on some weight and starting to fill out his frame a bit. The baby giraffe is growing up. :3:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

So is he still the most unfortunate looking player of all time?

Any improvement that another year of life added was negated by the horrible mo he's growing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I want a press red option for a commentary team that only calls the game and doesn't do any colour commentary or analysis. Only call whats happening on field.

An option to display stats on the screen would also be awesome.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Hows Caleb Daniel doing? Is he wearing the helmet?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
This thread will be fun when Mitch Clark kicks 10 goals against the Dees in round 12.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

you'd think the suspension might see him out of the comp if it's the whole season

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If they give him 12 months (which would seems lenient considering Saad got 18 for a positive test) he's out all this year. Anything more than that and he's gone for two seasons due to not being able to be drafted again this year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

That'd only apply to a demons/saints/tigers membership attempt imo

They told me it was hope but instead it was a slow and painful death. :(

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

There's a kid on the Geelong Falcon's list this year that's 200cm tall and 110 kilos. What the hell have they been feeding this kid?

I wonder how many 16-17 year olds are taking PED's. Do they get tested at all?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Lots, and testing is pretty unlikely at the lower levels of the game. ASADA has their work cut out keeping up with testing the professional athletes, expecting them to collect piss from the juniors too is a bit much. Most people that can get you weed or other recreational drugs can generally source PEDs so they're not that hard to get your hands on, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if those kids that are at a 'ready to play' size when they're drafted did a few cycles of something in their junior years to get to a size that gets them noticed by recruiters.

That doesn't surprise me.

There was a rumor going around on bigfooty (so it's probably bullshit) that Reece McKenzie slipped so far in the draft last year was because he was taking PED's and the recruiters found out. You don't slip to pick 77 after having a very good year as a key forward without there being something majorly wrong.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Any of you guys need wooden spoons? I have some that I'm looking to get rid of before a new delivery comes in.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Look at this injury list:

quote:

Shane Savage (hamstring) 1 week

Jack Billings (hamstring) 2 weeks

Leigh Montagna (knee) 3-4 weeks

Nathan Wright (adductor) 4 weeks

Jimmy Webster (finger) 5 weeks

Sam Gilbert (foot) 6-8 weeks

Seb Ross (hamstring) 9-11 weeks

Farren Ray (hamstring) 10-12 weeks

Arryn Siposs (shoulder) 3-4 months

Daniel Markworth (shoulder) indefinite

Brodie Murdoch (back) indefinite

Two more were added after the game against the Hawks. It's going to be like the D-day scene in Saving Private Ryan when the real football season starts.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Taylor Walker is awesome.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-22/buddy-kod

:stonk:

The GWS reserves game was ended when an ambulance had to be called for Paul Ahern (GWS pick 7 last year) after some incident that caused suspected neck/head injuries. I don't know any more than that, but it can't be good if they had to call an ambulance.

Here's hoping everyone is ok.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Bigfooty is saying he (Ahern) was cleared of neck injuries and is out of hospital.

That's good to hear.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Drugs posted:

yesssss

:vince:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

pkid posted:

Some arsehole at Wrestlemania has a Stand By Hird sign.

Holy poo poo, that's great. It almost makes the whole saga worth it.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
This will all be worth it if it causes Eddie to resign.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

YESSSSSS

Never stop posting graphs. Just out of curiosity how did your preseason ladder prediction last year look compared to the real thing?

I'll be pretty surprised if GWS only beats us by 6 points. I'm hoping for a Saints win, but I wont be surprised if we lose by 20+ points.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

Hmmm, I usually don't do Monte Carlo runs until late in the season because simulating 23 rounds takes fooorrrreeevvvveeerrrr and doing it with the start of year ratings is kind of meaningless.

More meaningful is comparing how each team did in 2014 compared with 2013.

St Kilda had a stinker of course but they're not as bad as Melbourne or GWS were in 2013 (who both improved quite a bit. Melbourne's attack was still ordinary but they improved in defence considerably.)

As I said before, the average score (or par as I think of it here) dropped quite a bit from ~ 92 to 86.6, so Hawthorn lost quite a few ranking points but in relative terms stayed about the same, while Sydney stayed equal, but in relative terms improved by a goal.

It's making me think a bit about how to present these ratings and whether I should use the zero sum values instead (which wouldn't change how each team rates against each other, but would make them more consistent across seasons).

Cool, thanks!

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to how people come up with stats etc (Monte Carlos are biscuits, right?) but I could look at graphs and the stats other people come up with all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Here's my round 1 best 22 for the Saints:

code:
FB: Dempster ~ Delaney ~ Geary
HB: Savage ~ Fisher ~ Newnes
C: Templeton ~ Weller ~ Riewoldt
HF: Saunders ~ Bruce  ~ Billings
FF: Lonie ~ McCartin ~ Saad
R: Hickey ~ Steven ~ Armitage

IN: Membrey ~ Dunstan ~  Acres
SUB: Sinclair  
Yes, Roo will play on the wing. Yes, he will be awesome at it. :colbert:

Saunders could be swapped for Curren, we might play Longer as a genuine 2nd ruck (I hope not) but I think until we get a few back from injury that's pretty close to our best 22.

Players you've never heard of but should look out for:
Lonie (#37) - Small forward that applies lots of pressure and is real creative with the ball.
Sinclair (#40) - He played a few games with Williamstown in the VFL last year and impressed. Good kicking on both feet and just looks ready to play AFL.
Acres (#8) - 190cm prototype modern mid. Might take a few years to really get up to AFL speed but his development will be exciting to watch. Club has said that he's got the best 'athletic profile' at the club (whatever that means).

• Locked thread