Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

He played forward of centre a lot last year from what I saw of Tigers games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

thepokey posted:

Is everyone that is in the goon cash splash league in the Laycock league? If not, do you want to open it up to more people and people from Laycock can move across so we have just one league? Or is it a draft league?

That's who is in the Jason Laycock Cup. Do we need 2 going?

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

I can do any night for the next week or so except Sunday.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Oh regarding Supercoach. It's not like you have to do twice the work with two leagues, you have the same team across both. I've also got a league that needs more people. 189275

Jumped in this. Jayson Laycock Cup still needs 7 players to be filled.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Cheeeers

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Testekill posted:

Got a feeling that Geelong might be bound for a stint of mid-ladder placings. Too much talent to outright bottom out but a lot of talent are getting long in the tooth.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Neutral ground, they'd be about even. It's not a neutral ground.

It's actually being played in Canberra.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Pretty sure the Johnson offer was made with almost no time left in the transfer window and Johnson rejected it without really taking much time to think about it.

Was supposedly a 5 year deal in which he'd play as long as he could then transition to coaching when his body was cooked.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Seeing anti inflamatories in the same spectrum as addictive painkillers is like linking coffee and meth. The way I've seen the situation described it sounds like he just dislikes western medicine or something.

Yeah I don't think it's to do with his dad, he's just a bit of a mentalist. He used to get a concussion test after every single game when he was at Geelong. He is also way into paleo and has to have his steaks cooked with specific oils when he eats out, etc.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

You Am I posted:

That's why Geelong never wanted GAJ as a captain, which I sure was one of the reasons why he went to GC (and Bomber Thompson white anting the gently caress out of him) because he'd be the captain.

He never seemed like the leadership type when he was at Geelong but he seems to have developed it since going to the GC. I don't think he was as nutty at Geelong either, that seems to have ramped up in the last couple of years.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

loving gutsy win

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

thepokey posted:

I think the saints deserved the 2009 more than the 2010 one. They had that absolutely dominant year and I remember tipping them in the GF. Then in 2010 I was surprised they got as close to a draw as they did, the replay game was how I was expecting the first game to go.

While not a GF, I think we were stiff to miss the GF in 99. Probably should have won at least 99 or 01 to reflect how great those 3 years were for us. Although I feel worse about 99 because that is one we shouldn't have lost and we would have romped it in against Norf where Carlton hosed up. Losing to a team who began their 3-peat with us isn't so shameful on the other hand, still gave away a lead in that match though.

St Kilda probably should have won in 09, but Geelong should have won in 08.

Adelaide finished first in 05 and second in 06 and didn't make a grand final either year

e:

Gough Suppressant posted:

Roos has gone on the record saying the substitute rule is total bullshit, joining Walsh and Beveridge. Pendlebury said he agreed with Roos too.

I hate seeing a kid in their first game start as the sub. They usually come on and don't have time to work their way into the game at all.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

No it doesn't. The team that can deploy their sub tactically late in the 3rd to replace the player of their choosing still gets a massive advantage over the team that is forced to sub off a player for injury. It has just changed how teams get completely hosed. As Roos correctly says it was bought in to slow the speed of the game, and now we have the interchange cap we don't need it and might as well get rid of it.

Wasn't it brought in because when a player went down injured early in a game it was virtually impossible for the team with one less on the bench to win? Subbing on a fresh player with a quarter to go is still an advantage but it's a much smaller one.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Didn't they have a pretty big crack at Cloke a year or so ago?

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

pkid posted:

Welp, Tigers are fukt.
No Chaplin, Newman and Deledio is still out.

Does Newman do that much these days anyway?

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

This is a WIP and as such I suspect it won't make a real lot of sense (especially since I haven't put in labels or tick marks for the scale). But basically I'm trying to work separate attack/defence ratings into my system and the graph is an attempt to chart teams not just on their overall ratings, but also how offensive or defensive oriented they are. Basically the further left, the more defensive a team is.

I'm not sure how to deal with the GWS/Gold Coast bit to make it clearer but as you can see they're rated roughly the same. Also I had to tweak the scale to fit Brisbane in, they are BAAAAD.

I'll also try and get the zig-zag graph going again tomorrow since I'm using a more direct approach to creating the graphs so I'll get into that next.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the only result that the system missed was the Footscray one.

And I've checked my tipping I see that I picked Richmond. And next week they're playing North! (At least those two can only muck up one tip.)

How are West Coast so high? They've beaten the two worst teams and GWS

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

You're about to regret asking.

Not at all. I have been following this guy's predictions for a while now, just out of interest rather than betting.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Its called having STANDARDS.

You know... the standards that are more likely to cause issues due to being unnecessarily tight then anything they might have solved in the first place.

They might have agreed to it as a team or leadership group since they've had a terrible start, it wouldn't be the rule normally.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Ah gently caress. I'd forgotten about him entirely until a mate brought him up recently. Poor bugger, surely that's it.

EDIT: Speaking of blokes for whom that is it, surely Daniel Menzel must be reasonably close. IMO he's the saddest story in the comp in the last five years

Menzel still a month away from playing vfl from what I've heard.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

I would say the bets of the round are Geelong by more than 40 and St.Kilda at the line.

I'd also have a peek at GWS beating Adelaide. High risk/reward bet is Richmond beating Port. They may have snapped into form yet.

Adelaide have Smith, Jaensch, Crouch, Sloane, Douglas all out (Jenkins/CEY apparently should play) and don't really have a 2nd tall defender.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

whats bomber thompson up to these days? i could see them going after him

Counting his money

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Stevie J annoys everyone I'm pretty sure.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Warwick Capper's at the pub I'm in and he's covered head to toe in Ed Hardy. I'm guessing the venn diagram of dudes who still wear that and dudes that are Capper is a straight up circle

He's moved to Melbourne to open a dial-a-slab style butcher called Well Hung Meats. No, I'm not joking.

e:

Can someone explain to me why Essendon picked up Cooney and Gwilt instead of playing kids?

Apolis fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 13, 2015

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Do they get people to commentate from Youtube?

Live text-to-speech of youtube comments would be better than most of the current commentary.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

This poo poo is becoming a joke. The AFL should introduce a 'loyalty bonus' or something that can be paid to one club players outside the cap. When you have people unironically saying 'if he stays' when discussing young stars things have probably gone too far.

This is kind of what the veterans list is now. Players who have been at a club for 10 years get ~$120k paid outside the cap iirc.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Volkerball posted:

There's no way Prestia's not involved in this. There's just not. I'd put my money on Matera too.

I'd bet Harley Bennell loves it.

Diet Crack posted:

That's not really the case at all. There were atleast 2 teams worth of A grade players after the draft, they've just all been picked up due to injuries or swapped out from bad drafting or swapping for people who are in form. A lot of UF is getting your team set in the first 3 weeks then managing it. I probably got rid of about 6 players in the first 2 alone. It's a little unbalanced at the moment due to the comp size - if we had 16 I would've restricted positions that can be played (ie. only a back on your bench can sub for a back.) The onus is also on you to.. yknow.. show up for the draft and actually play, otherwise yeah.. it's not going to work out so well.

That said I'll be giving even more advanced notice next year so people can keep the draft day free.

Next year if we get 16 the teams will reduce in size to 3 mids/1 ruck as opposed to the 6 running through the middle atm. Should open up a lot more players to be picked.

You also get players like Max Gawn popping up mid-year (first game round 10, averaging 93 in his 3 games). I thought I was stuffed when Mumford went down but he's been a decent replacement.

Making it a keeper league next year would be good too.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Apolis posted:

I'd bet Harley Bennell loves it.

How much do I win?

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

He has/had a drug problem and he was Hartman's 'mentor' who had to quit because of a drug problem.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

pkid posted:

Treloar has been strongly linked to the Pies but I wonder how much the Dangerfield deal is going to impact player movements this year. If he is committed to going to Geelong then Collingwood will probably get Treloar.
If Dangerfield actually wants to win a flag he needs to look beyond Geelong, probably to Collingwood or Richmond. Unfortunately, I imagine he would go to the Pies which would put Richmond in the box seat. But then they've got to put a package together to make it worth it for the Giants.
What's he worth? First pick + a semi decent player (Conca?) or first two picks + a fringe player?

Sounds like it will be a tough deal to get done regardless.

They are talking about being able to trade future picks so that might make things easier.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Where is Travis Cloke in the clanger list, what is this.

Unless it's midfielders only.

It's mostly midfielder because they get a lot more possessions than forwards. Fyfe led the league in clangers two or three years running until last year iirc.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

AFL is a stupid sport anyway

It's hard to take seriously the way the fixture is done.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Up by less than a goal with a minute left and they kick it up the middle to a 1 on 5 from a kick-in, genius.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

code:
Club            ppts  %age   First  Top 2  Top 4  P 5-8  Top 8  Spoon     
Geelong         46.4  99.23                  0.2   24.0   24.3       
Collingwood     48.2 116.74                  2.3   49.6   51.9       

Bit curious as to why the Pies are 62% favourites against us in round 22? What are our odds if we win that one?

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

pkid posted:

Why are Richmond suggested underdogs against both Adelaide and Collingwood?

The Adelaide game is away, although you have an amazing record on the road lately.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

On the week-by-week adjustments Geelong and Collingwood are actually dead even (since it kind of reflects the last few weeks' form), which is what you see on the worm and the x-y graph, but on the seasonal ratings Collingwood are about a goal ahead. I mean, Collingwood's current percentage is 114.92 and Geelong's is 98.24, that'd be why.

And I couldn't tell you the rough odds without doing another run locking that particular result in because it's kind of fiddly. How much are you suggesting Geelong beat Collingwood by?

Yeah that's fair enough. I think we're a good chance to win the games against the Pies and Sydney (unless they regain form dramatically next week), that should give us a decent shot.

Overall I think we've been alright this season considering how many injuries we've had, particularly in areas that we weren't strong in to start with. Not having any easy double up games also hasn't helped (Hawks, Pies, Sydney, North and Adelaide).

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Cowan, Vardy and Menzel are all fit at the same time

You've done it now.

Shmoses posted:

I reckon the only game we've lost that we should have won on paper was Melbourne - we're about where we should be imo. It'll be the hard double ups that cost us finals, which makes sense given we significantly overachieved to get to the top four last season

Definitely, and it's even more annoying watching Melbourne play terribly every game since. Going into the finals without a proper ruckman made it look a bit more that way. I'm looking forward to getting a soft draw next year though!

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Cloud the Cat posted:

Longmire gave Tom Mitchell the green vest after using him as a tagger for weeks even though when he's let run free he dominates stoppages and gets alot of the ball (yes, he's in my fantasy team and yes i'm constantly annoyed with it).

He must be doing something Longmire doesn't like, maybe he doesn't run both ways?

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

thepokey posted:

one of those people you went to school with but haven't seen since year 12

The source of 99% of terrible posts on facebook (and candy crush requests).

hiddenmovement posted:

Also H mac retiring is not a suprise at all. Rivers and I'm guessing Enright will join him at seasons end, at least based on what they have said in the media. Rivers is pretty dissapointing, his form is still good and he's only 29-30

Rivers' is still good, his body (knee?) is just shot I think. I hope Enright goes again if he feels his body is up to it, he's been better this year than he was last year. Stokes is another one I doubt will go on.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

thepokey posted:

Also, totally another topic, but trading future picks (of one year in advance) comes in this trade period? I'm a bit ignorant to how it works but, could you not have a scenario where, for example, Brisbane who everyone expects to be poo poo for ages, trades their first round draft pick for next year to a club, and that club believes that Brisbane will finish bottom or second bottom so they should be in for a good pick. But then Brisbane surprises the hell out of everyone and makes the finals and suddenly that pick goes from being pick 1 or 2 to pick 14 or 15...is that just bad luck for the club that trades that pick with Brisbane?

They could do stuff like x player for a team's 2nd round pick if it falls within the 20-30 range OR first round pick if it falls later than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

That scumbag goalkeeper has been sacked by his club, at least.

• Locked thread