Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Absolutely epic TG, great effort!

Also, there is already a Supercoach goon league at code 190750 with a few people in it, so you could either edit that into the the OP or people from that league will have to migrate across if they're not aware. I see you were able to get a league with the word goon in it, when I tried to create that it was telling me I was using a forbidden word :v:

Also, I'd probably be 100% behind a state of origin match if it were to be recreated like this

a little bit of a shame hats and waistcoats/ties have been phased out of the game.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

That year being?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Also, as for a :toxx: , I've never done one before, but what the hell. This will be based on my tipping because I always loving forget to tip and when I do I'm generally pretty terrible and always end up being totally poo poo. So, working off getting half tips right every round would be 4.5 x 23 = 103.5, rounded up to 104. If I get less than 104 in the tipping comp I'll get that Bootsma picture as my avatar and one of you witty people can come up with a title, I'll keep that until the start of the 2016 season.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Hird decides against High Court challenge...finally a good decision to come out of the Hird camp!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Zetsubou-san posted:

:toxx: If the Western Bulldogs don't make it to the semi-finals in the 2015 premiership season, I shall display a James Hird avatar and the supporting text "James Hird is my favourite genius" until the Bulldogs win their first game of the 2016 premiership season. :toxx:

Why don't you just change your avatar now then?

Also appreciate the fact there are 2 wonderful TISM references on this page.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

When Carlton loses I am very happy :)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Cricket World Cup isn't ending anytime soon.

There's a cricket world cup on?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

LEAGUES AVAILABLE
I’ll update this part once the varying competitions open up, I’ll only be running Supercoach and UltimateFooty this year so if someone wants to run another league, put your hand up.
Supercoach
Goon Cash Splash: input code 775659 upon registering
Jason Laycock Cup: input code 190750.

Looks like there's 2 supercoach leagues now. There's 8 in vying for the Jason Laycock Cup and 4 in the Goon Cash Splash ... we are probably best to combine them in to one or the other I'd say.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

The cricket world cup is getting some really substantial crowds, I thought it was going to be an hilarious non event as well but I was sorely mistaken. You can't ignore 90,000 at the G and 45,000 at Adelaide oval.

Yeah but you wouldn't know it from turning on the telly. Besides today's glorious debacle.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I'm more having a go at channel 9 than anything.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I love the Essendon facebook page. A post made about who is going to be "back in" for a membership this year. Half the responses are "yay! I'm back in! Go Hirdy's Bombers!!!" And the other half are "I'll be back in when Hird is back out".

If Little keeps his word and if players cop significant suspensions and Hird's fate is left up to the members to vote on, then surely he'll survive if people who are anti-Hird are not signing up to memberships. Sort of counter productive. But that's only if Little keeps his word on that.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah with kids it's expensive, plenty of times I'll just get a coke and chips and the guy in front of me with 2 kids will end up getting told his food is $50+

But then again, I'm not a big fan of taking kids to the footy anyways so maybe they should be more expensive as a deterrent :v:

Shame crust isn't going down, but it really only is fake-crust, not as good as the actual store-bought crust.

I feel like the MCG is forcing our hand with food/drink talk a lot earlier this season.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Tigers for me. Every year I hope they are actually good instead of just funny. I guess I get my entertainment either way but still

I used to think this until I started meeting more Richmond supporters at work and through friends and the like. It tipped the scales after they beat Geelong that one time in the preseason (even before the NAB cup began) when Geelong either won the flag or lost it the year before. Their supporters were off the walls claiming this meant they had arrived. That finally they were a lock for the premiership that year (not top 8, premiership). So when they got absolutely slaughtered by Carlton in round 1 it was so so good. Their game vs Port last year was just the best thing ever after they were all swinging dicks about their winning streak and beating Sydney. So, of the poo poo teams, go Dees!

I still put Carlton and Hawthorn ahead of them as my least favourite, but watching Richmond lose is just a pleasure unto it's own. As an Essendon fan, I have had to find other avenues of pleasure outside of my own club full of fuckwits the past few years, of course.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It's so weird, Port were abysmal a few years ago with no signs of looking good, and I didn't particularly care to see them do good. "gently caress Port", was about the mindset. Then they turned good, not only good, but playing really attractive footy and I totally bandwagoned them in the last 2 finals.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Eh I'd put Footscray ahead. So many preliminary final heartbreaks through the years.

This is the true correct answer though.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

This is the best time to post that KB gif but I can't loving find it

You say that implying there is never a best time... http://youtu.be/blaFJCSN5jY

e: this whole video just sums up tigers fans so well. So over confident when they have no right to be and in ruin at the end. My Tigers supporting friend has a habit of jumping out of his seat and fist pumping the air the first goal they score. Even if the opposition has score 5 or 6 before them. And my personal fav I've mentioned before was going to a match and being taunted by a large Richmond contingent as they were up by about 15 points at half time. They were singing the song and dancing and everything KB is doing in that video. After the match when we beat them by 40-odd points some of the same group were literally in tears.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 4, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Jesus, Tim Rogers doesn't half mind inserting himself into basically everything ever.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

You could come up with some great out there "press red" teams. I'd definitely press red for a game commentated by Stephen Fry.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker

Yeah ok this pretty much would be the only channel I watch. BollockVision.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Pretty sure we are just outright trolling now.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

There's a kid next door, I don't know how old he is, never seen him but my bedroom is next to their backyard fence so I hear him and his parents a lot. I'm guessing he is maybe 5ish. The other day his dad gave him a warning not to dig up the flowers in the backyard. Minutes later that dad yells at the kid "what did I tell you about digging up the flowers??" The kid replies "but these aren't flowers they're the tomatoes", the dad concedes, "well don't dig up the vegetables either!" That kid is Essendon, the Dad is the AFL.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Contrast that with the noise North Melbourne's rather small fanbase made during this years semi final. They've been middling on the ladder for years, sometimes scraping into the eight, but often not, their last real finals tilt back in '07 ended in humilation. The roar when they surged ahead and the boos for Selwood were deafening. Their fanbase is starved for a bit of success and they made a fuckload more noise then we did. For us, we can shrug and say oh well we've made the prelim in '13, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07 and '04. That sort of thing quietens the soul somewhat.

God help you all when Essendon finally do get their poo poo together then and start winning finals.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Is this before or after they've broken off into their own league?

After. We'll break away first. Realise we're playing the bye every week. Sue the AFL and the other 17 clubs for not following us to our league. Lose. Appeal. Lose. Appeal. Lose. Rejoin the AFL.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...v-1227257933908

Kevin Sheedy posted:

While an opponent is not yet locked in, Sheedy set the game would likely pay tribute everyday Aussies who’ve endured tough times.

Generic time at the G?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Better not be like a "Battlers Battle" or something like that. Then you'll have people crawling out of the woodwork with ACA style stories all over the footy. or maybe it'll be a round to celebrate Baby Boomers who have had it tough.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Nothing quite like watching the most entitled generation in existence complain about how hard it was being able to walk into a business and find a job, pay pennies for a house and receive free education up the whazoo.

That basically sums up every person I ever spoke to on the phone in customer service. We dubbed them, collectively, "Murray from Caboolture".

Murray generally always thinks he deserves a hand out and $5 knocked off his bill, makes the 3 properties a little easier to deal with. So god help if he finds out they're considering dedicating a round of footy to him and he doesn't get it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

Jack Billings :colbert:

You're acting like you didn't hear about how Joe Daniher will be the best player ever.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

:siren: NOT TO GET ALL AUSPOL ON U BUT....:siren:

Depression can come and go in waves, particularly if he wasn't in treatment at the time. He may well have been legitmately disabled by it at the time, and has now come out the other side of the black cloud and can go about leading a normal, happy, productive life. We should wish for such an outcome for anyone suffering depression. The depression wasn't some cycnical ploy on his part, what we are seeing here is simply 'getting better'.

:siren: NOW TO GET ALL TROOFBOMB :siren:

Rumour is a big part of his depression was self inflicted due to him loving about with a stripper and ruining his current relationship. It's not like someone close to him died unexpected and he couldn't handle the grief, it was brought about by him behaving like a piece of poo poo. He then proceeded to happily train with Melbourne post depressive stage, a club that had supported him unconditionally, knowing full well he was bailing on the club so he could have a quick and easy grab at some silverware.

Depression sufferers are just like all other people, in that some of them are total bastards.

But we're all going to pick him first in supercoach anyway.

Pretty much this.

I do feel sorry for the bloke in some ways and I have no doubt he had a major depressive episode and he's come out the other end, maybe there's another one on the way somewhere down the line in 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. I spent the last 4 years studying this stuff and it does get hard to see people wave it away like that it can't possibly be depression (not that I think anyone here is actually doing that, but the broader football community).

But, as you said, having depression doesn't give one immunity from being a dick and making dick decisions. Maybe the environment at Melbourne at the time of his depression is something he associates as part of it and wanted to break away from, but at the same time we've seen how fast Melbourne turned their list over a new coach and its not exactly the same place. Or maybe once he came out the other side he went "gently caress this, I want to go somewhere where I have a chance at a bit of success". Which does give Melbourne who did their best to support him a bit of a reason to be pissy with him. The other thing that works towards the being a dick factor is that it's not the first time he's done something like this, with his "I want to go home to Per-nah just kidding, going to Melbourne".
I'm surprised he didn't go back home to Perth this time though, specifically to Freo. Surely they could pay him big bucks, he'd be at home and slot straight into a team that needs exactly what he can offer (if fit).

I wish him well, but more importantly, the Dandenong Tiprats will wish him well.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Daniher's lost the long hair thankfully. Unfortunately what he lost Hurley has gained.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Made the mistake of clicking the facebook comments section of their post about the Swans v Freo match being the Pride Match... oh boy

Fuckwit posted:

Waiting for the AFL to have theme for every single game now. Forget political statements and play football

Fuckwit posted:

lol of course its a political statement if you cant see that then the AFL has brainwashed you too well

Fuckwit posted:

What's it gonna be next week, awareness for the unemployed maybe we can get homeless people to umpire

Fuckwit posted:

Of course its political ya muppets lol Its the in thing to be a progressive these days.Football and politics shouldnt mix its that simple.

Fuckwit posted:

When is straight pride round

Fuckwit posted:

Happy be married the right way disgusting we have to put up with a small group of people who push their crap on everyone and A.F.L get sucked in to their ear bashing ways. AFL need to remember that it's family that go to the footy in numbers

Fuckwit posted:

Bending over for another minority

Fuckwit posted:

Gaaaaaaaaaay ha ha ha so funny yet so dumb. When are they going to do the support for islam and wife beating round. Seems to be less eighties and more relivant. Or were they picking something safe to support.

:fuckoff:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Jesus Christ now they're sending me "Gough, Be More Than A Fan In 2015!"

Are they inviting you to go play for them or something? Could go all Setanta on Mitch at training.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Volkerball posted:

and you're supposed to hate Hawthorn.

God bless America!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

In some ways it has made me want to support the team even more. Not in a #standbyhird kind of way, but, yeah I really don't mind if anyone involved in the footy department at the time gets launched into the sun and they have made being an Essendon supporter really loving tough at times. But, I still support the players 100% and it's why I can't begrudge Paddy going "nope, gently caress this, I'm out", (as much as it's REALLY going to suck watching him tear us a new one in games). I still believe any ban for the players is unfair and they've been through such a loving poo poo time with this, so I really want to see them come out the other side ok. So, when this is all finally put to bed, if I can watch the team having some on field success it'll make me pretty drat happy for them.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Sam Newman is 70 next year. That is all.

Which means he's 69 now - cue a year of hilarious jokes based on that number which subtly alludes to something else other than age!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Melbourne remains the best friend of narcoleptics everywhere.

Essendon supporters are surprisingly cocky for a team that's got a 1-4 record against Melbourne.

It brings out the Richmond in us when we can say "ok they may have beaten us the last x number of times but surely this time! I mean they're Melbourne FFS" and then, we lose again.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It's imo the most bizarre running record in the league given the performances of the two teams over it.

Then to make it more bizarre the one win we have is of a greater margin than your 4 wins combined.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

4 bounce goal from Dalgleish was pretty awesome

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Testekill posted:

Bontempelli is just unfair. What the gently caress do you do against a KPF-sized midfielder with the tank of Nick Riewodlt?

Well, if you're Hawthorn you recruit him ASAP to help bolster their failing midfield.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Oh drat I thought we were going to merge the leagues into one, one way or the other so missed out on the Goon Cash Splash league. Weird that it let you create that, when I tried creating the initial league it wouldn't let me use the word goon as it said it was offensive language, hence having to rename the league otherwise Id have kept it as Goon Cash Splash like last year.

Also, these are loving horrifying (image too big for this page)

http://i.imgur.com/2q7oa0g.jpg

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Is everyone that is in the goon cash splash league in the Laycock league? If not, do you want to open it up to more people and people from Laycock can move across so we have just one league? Or is it a draft league?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I hope I remember to set a pre-draft order tomorrow during the day, otherwise it's going to be a hilarious mess.

That happened to me, I got a team full of old folk and somehow finished 3rd (I think?) so imo set Fletcher as number 1 and let the good times roll.

• Locked thread