Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
This is probably the first draft time I can actually make since that ill-fated supercoach draft where people were getting skipped over and 1 guy basically just kept getting pick after pick ... which was pretty hilarious in how broken it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Me yesterday: oh I can make the draft tomorrow it's all good!
Me today: *leaves house at 6pm completely forgetting about the draft and thus hadn't set up a pre-draft order*

My on field team doesn't look too shabby with what I landed with but pretty much my entire bench are all injured. Thanks NAB challenge!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The important thing is that I almost took Josh Thomas in the draft but didn't

lol I wonder what loving idiot got Josh Thomas in the dra .. oh wait :(

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Well, I'm pretty loving happy. Maybe now the biggest worry I can have as a supporter is what goes on on field. Like it should be. Pending ASADA appeals of course.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Pretty much this. The AFL gave the hammer to the Dons two years ago, kicking them out of finals, fining them 2 million dollarydoos, that wasn't for nothing, that was because of systemic malarkey that pretty much might've contributed to these players getting off. "Not Proven" seems like more of an apt decision than "Not Guilty" because there is no proof either way. I don't think this is purely tribalism, this is about a noxious culture hanging over the sport in general and putting the welfare of players at the forefront of the club's efforts to win. I have no problem with the Tribunal's decision, I have a problem that people seem to think this is vindication of some sort?

I think it's vindication for the players and the fans. The players just want to play footy, and I have always 100% supported them and think they should get off. And some Essendon fans would string me up to a tree branch for this but I'll be glad to see Paddy pull on the Port jumper and play this weekend, as much as it'll hurt to see as well. It's vindication for the fans because we never wanted this, we would never in a million years want to sit through this, we just want to watch footy and support footy which we've done all our lives. Now there's a chance to get back to that.

But, on the other hand I completely agree. Not guilty is not the same as innocent. Im not going to be crowing about how Hird and the club didn't do anything wrong snd this proves it. This proves that they can't prove it. The club deserved what it copped in 2013 for the loving shambles it created which could have been completely avoided if they had just done the right thing.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Just in case anyone has forgotten, James Hird is a filthy corrupt cheat.

No this is not an april fools day post.

For argument's sake, lets say that nothing the players were given were performance enhancing or banned. Let's say that Hird wanted to find new ways to help players recover without crossing any lines which veer into performance enhancing or banned substances. IF that were the case, I don't see how that is too different from a player going down into the rooms to get a jab to deal with the pain so they can come back on and play. Or the way other clubs do have sports science programs and administer actual non-banned, totally approved substances such as vitamins. Both are technically unnatural ways of helping the body cope with something that has happened to it on the field, and are introducing something new into the system. IF, for argument's sake, this is all Hird wanted then I don't see how the corrupt cheat label can really be applied to him. He states that's all he wanted, the results yesterday can't prove otherwise. So, for all Hird's faults I don't think a corrupt cheat is one of them. Of course he could be a filthy corrupt cheat if it was his intention to have performance enhancing drugs administered, but as yesterday showed, we can't prove that.

However, as we all know, what he did do is not give a flying gently caress about what the players were actually given. Put complete trust in a fuckwit like Dank to run it and in turn, potentially put the careers, and health of the player's and their families at risk due to complete and utter loving negligence, arrogance, and selfishness. That selfishness further demonstrated when he appealed the decision last year against the wishes of the club and the players.

Is he a filthy corrupt cheat? I don't think we can actually say that with certainty and the tag is old already.

Is he a loving idiot who deserves to be launched into the sun for his decisions which allowed all of this to happen under his watch? Absolutely.

Then again, champion player m8, u couldnt play as well as him m8. He came back from 2 potentially career ending injuries so dont say poo poo about him hes innocent m8 #standbyhird #wrestlemania31

(Yeah, I'm hoping that last sentence highlights the differences between the folk who defend him and how I semi-defend him in this case. But really, it's less of a defence and more of a pointer that your feelings towards him are justified, just not for those reasons).

edit: ANYWAYS. gently caress it, I'm so ready to move on now. Now, my loving supercoach team. That headache enducing BS.

Are we definitely going with 2 leagues this year when both have around 11-12 people in them? Can we not open up the Goon Cash Splash one to more people and anyone from the Laycock league who hasn't joined is able to jump across so that we are all in one? Otherwise we'll be playing with a bunch of pubbies, and damned if a pubbie will win a Goon league :colbert:

thepokey fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 31, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Don't forget to do your Supercoach teams, a couple goons haven't done theirs yet, and the server crashes a few hours before the first game every year under the weight of people who forgot to get it done earlier.

Better to get a team in and not be able to set emergencies according to the 6pm team lists than to miss out completely.

Frawley or Higgins??

Mummy or Ryder??

gently caress this special time of year.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

New supercoach player spotted

Well he played 20-odd games last year. I ask as both players are at new clubs, both roughly the same price, both fwd swap options and both similar scores avgeraged last year. So even though they're quite different players, still a decision. But leaning towards Higgins.

Mummy is a fair price and more injury prone but he racks those scores up. Ryder will play more, score a bit less/less consistency, is cheaper and going to be surrounded by a successful team.

Wasn't something changed with the scoring in hit outs this year?

And yeah Id still have been up for combining the 2 leagues. My question before about it wasn't so much that it's extra work being in two leagues, but that some people couldn't get into the Goon Splash league so not all together.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Done. Im not going to ruin my toxx in the first round! Although my tips will still probably do that.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

This game kills me. Carlton are the worst. Like actually, objectively they're the worst because they're Carlton. But, Richmond aren't much better and it is brilliant watching Tigers fans after a big loss to start the season. Im always in a bind about who I want to lose!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I don't understand what's happening at the G tonight. None of these players are making runs or taking wickets. On the plus side I cant see Watto anywhere. Yay Footy!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Wattos on Saturday mate, you already a few cans deep?

Im talking about THE Watto. Famous for the WattoZone. The one that has been inflicted on us all summer.

Also, loving the new Footy Live app design. The graphic which shows where the main egg/side egg was scored from on the ground is a neat addition.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Footy is back, Richmond bipolar fans are back! Direct quotes from facebook from the same person:

1st quarter - For gently caress's sake. Every year. Why do I front up every year for this poo poo.

4th quarter - Yes! Looking real good Tigers! Surely this is our year for a deep finals run!

Bruce is back too, make any statement and add to the end of it:

"Isn't he?" "Wasn't it?" "Hasn't it?" With "off a step" added here and there.

But I don't really care tonight. I think with the extra long cricket season it's just made me real glad to see footy back.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 2, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

#standbyBT

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Imagine if they win a premiership.

I got to admit, the tears would be absolutely loving delicious.

But honestly, why do you come out and brag about that stuff now? It's like a movie villain revealing his master plan before he kills the hero but giving them enough time to escape, or in this case, appeal.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

I think it is an AFL tribunal thing, however if it gets to the CAS they can compel them to appear (but not to answer questions or something). The law is weird.

What, so they just stand there looking at each other?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Guessing by the end of the match Hawthorn will have signed up Clark

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

the review umpire that says "review underway" and "review complete. Confirmed touched." Sounds like same dude who did the umpires voice from the wonderful SNES (NES?) AFL game.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Testekill posted:

Jack Macrae & Jake Stringer have re-signed with the Bulldogs until 2018. Bontempelli is also signed until 2017 while Roughead and Dahlhaus signed until 2018 also. I'm pretty sure that Libba is until 2017 and Wallis is 2016 also.

2016, 17, and 18 look to be busy years for Hawthorn then!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It's about ethics in data tables

Jetta fuel can't melt Steele Beams

thepokey fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 9, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

pkid posted:

Jake mentioned that in the past being 5 goals down to Carlton, as they were in Round 1, probably would have wound up in a loss but this bloke has really instilled in them the mental side of how to manage that pressure and turn things around.

Although a lot of Richmond's problems weren't being down by 5 goals and giving up, it was being up by 5 goals and giving up. So, you'd hope he's drilling that into them more so.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

:(

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

It isn't as bad as racial taunting in the slightest, even if it was literally about his depression. Not that I'm condoning mocking him for having depression. If they were doing that then they should pull their heads in, but if was just about how he left Melbourne then I'd say that is fair game.

Im not so sure. Not that racial taunting is in any way shape or form "not that bad", because gently caress that poo poo. But taunting someone about their mental illness is loving horrendous. Arguably, being a particular race isn't a disability, but a mental illness is. I don't think its a battle of "what's worse" because it's a case by case scenario in each situation, but i wouldn't say it isn't "even in the slightest" not as bad as racial taunting. Both are potentially suicide triggers, so, nuff said really.

That is, however, assuming it was actually about depression.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

it's loving Richmond after all

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Would have been better if he was giving the thumbs down

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Geez we have had a few dodgy frees go out way now

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Im not even remotely confident. Last week, the Norf final... By comparison Id say we are barely in the lead.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Ahahahahahaha suck it Dawks!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

A story going around that Hawthorn were "robbed" of 3 seconds of game time from a centre bounce 14mins into the last quarter. The Hawthorn tears on facebook from yesterday are now turning into outrage rage at being stitched up.
I don't get this line of reasoning, if things had played out seconds earlier what is to say we would have ended up in the same scenario anyways? Considering footy is a game of "moments" where split second decisions can change the course of a match, had things shifted 3 seconds earlier you can't even say the rest of the game would have played out exactly as it did.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I don't like Stephen Dank and if he launches action the condition should be that if he loses we get a national parade which ends with the launching of him into the sun

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nah Hird can stay now he's winning and beating Hawthorn (the true evil in all this).

But it's funny I reckon how so many #standbyhird'ers will support him to the end for his role in the whole deal, but if Essendon gently caress up on field and miss/don't win a final this year, and then do the same next year that at least half of them will be calling for his head. Let a dodgy drugs program run right under your nose and fail in your duty of care to protect your players? Good bloke that, champion player, #standbyhird! But be a poo poo coach where your team full of promise can't cut it with the best teams and win finals? Good player m8 but poo poo coach, has to go!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The best bit about that GAS rant is the peanut butter argument. I just love that he thinks that putting a jar of peanut butter in direct sunlight for a certain amount of time and nothing happening is proof of.....?

Reminds me of this, the atheist's nightmare: https://youtu.be/2z-OLG0KyR4

But yeah, put me in the same boat as everyone else with not knowing what to do with a GAJ replacement. Sloan maybe? And now Pendles looks in doubt for this week and he's in my UF league team too.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I already got The Bont, VBerg, Heeney and Ellis-Yolmen :(

I do like the idea of swapping him for a rolled gold rookie and then having all that extra cash in the bank for when poo poo goes crazy. But I'm not sure which rookies are left over that I don't already have which would be worth it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Nope.

Also, on Ablett = bad captain chat, I honestly think that in terms of young player development, they picked up the wrong cats champion. The one they wanted went to Essendon.

When I read this my first thought was "But John Barnes was around long before the Sun-ohhh Chappy"

I like the idea that there's this crazy dude running around the GCFC probably leaving bibles in players lockers and such and no one can really say anything because he's so loving good you just sort of put up with it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

GAJ and B. Goodes for Sloane and T. McDonald with not much bank left, or for Rich and T.McDonald with heaps of bank left? This decision isn't getting any easier :argh:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Sloane. Sloane Sloane Sloaney Sloane. He is a 100% certain keeper provided he doesn't get horribly injured. Rich is much less reliable.

See I would much prefer Sloane, but with Rich I have an extra nearly 300k in the bank to start playing around with the rest of my team to make sure its full of peeps who will get games/cut the dead wood that I picked at the start. But on the other hand, Sloane, so ... :(

e: actually gently caress it, Sloane in and Lambert out for Nelson or Krakouer

thepokey fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 16, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

tnimark posted:

I have to disagree.

J.R. was one of the best commentators in sports entertainment history.

Yeah but that's because J.R's first name was Good Old

e: is

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Shut up, BT, just shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Hawthorn fans have a lot to be grumpy about, their team hasn't had a lot of success in the past week and their fans are getting sick and tired of these dark days.

• Locked thread