Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I got literally zero response to this idea from Bigfooty so thought I might repost it here in sanity land.

AFL is looking to introduce a proper womens AFL league by 2017. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-bid-to-fasttrack-womens-national-league-20150224-13noxh.html

So I propose this.

10 teams per state= 9 home and 9 away matches. With one bye that should finish at the end of round 19 AFL.

Then standard 3 weeks of finals with a likely top 4 system with a grand final for each in round 22 AFL.

Then a bye for all the grand finalists brings us to the end of the home and away season.

Then SoA begins going over three weeks with the winning premier going to represent their state.

Two matches each with your standard points ladder. Top two go on to play saturday night State Grand Final the week before the AFL premiership.

Would this spark legitimate interest in a womens only league? I really think that the SoA aspect would garner decent interest, particularly whilst most people's teams are out of the finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Zetsubou-san posted:

Haven't really followed footy since I left Vic, but as a Western Bulldogs supporter (even after all these years it's still weird to not call them Footscray) you always hope that this year is THAT year.

That year being?

Also there seems to be 5 people in the supercoach league. Hop to it guys, last year was full.

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 25, 2015

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gabensraum posted:

Oh right, I forgot that they moved away from the wreath etc. for a while. Cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Football_Club#mediaviewer/File:Carlton_FC_logo.svg

A sound mind in a sound body?

Jesus Carlton, everything you do is either awkward or boring.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

No matter how loving pumped I am for football I can not bring myself to listen to mark fine and Stephen j peak

The only enjoyment I get out of "finey" is everytime I switch the radio over to his awful show he is inevitably harping on for 5 minutes about banning the latest person trolling him from calling the station etc..

The man is so thoroughly up his own rear end you could roll him down a hill, hopefully into the bay.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Edit:dont even know what day of the week today is

Today is Range Rover day. Weekend is when the Porsche comes out isnt it?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's why you see young players, and those with something to prove do their injuries in pre-season. Co-incidentally these are the injuries that break your heart.

The old guys, and those assured of a spot in the team when the real season starts treat teh pre-season as it should be treated, glorified practice matches that can and should be avoided.

No kidding. Jack Billings has pulled his hamstring and will be out for 4 weeks. Nothing like an ACL of course but just another annoying injury to stuff the young kids around.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

More injury news: Farren Ray is out for the first 2 months of the H&A season after blowing up the tendon in his right hammy. Savage and Roberton both did hammies on the same day as Ray but luckily are not nearly as bad and they should be ready for round 1.

Most people don't rate Ray very highly but he's been a solid contributor for a very long time now and we need all the experience and depth we can get at the moment. The only upside is that Ray being out will give more time for a kid to play.

Big kick in the teeth isnt it. Still we have been lucky with injuries so far vs the other teams so it was only inevitable. But yes, losing Ray is going to be a problem due to his experience.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I might be in the minority but I would kill for the TripleM commentary on televised games. PARTICULARLY saturday night Taylor and Darcy making my ears bleed 5 shades of stupid.

Diet Crack posted:

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-03-02/eagles-action-streamed-live

Apparently some clubs are broadcasting nab challenge matches on their websites due to demand.

Yeah we got a weirdly broken stream for the saints vs lions game the other day. Worked well enough except the commentary dropping out, phil collins coming on a third track for like 2 minutes for no reason and kids screaming into the camera mic.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

I'll laugh if after all the fuss made about the fill-in players by various pundits and football clubs the team of also rans and has beens ends up beating St Kilda.

Care to enlighten us how thats going to happen?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Also Essendon continues to impress, having to be stopped by the AFL from playing Goddard, Cooney, Daniher and Gwilt in a practice match against Williamstown while keeping them out of the practice match against St Kilda.

Yeah, typical of them trying to sneak a practice match for their best 22 more or less.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

So I joined a local team and started preseason.

I discovered that I am an unhealthy, unfit, cheeto scoffing goon.

Awesome. Which club?

Also yes, you dont realize just how unfit you are until you try and play aussie rules football. Prepare for major DOMS. :)

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

West Brunswick. I used to play a bit for the pub footy circuit but I didn't fit in very well with the team.

I am amazed how much running fitness I've lost though, it's embarassing.

High five VAFA buddy.

I play for Hampton Rovers.. although we're about 6 divisions apart lol.

Yeah, try not to worry too much about the fatigue issue. You literally cannot do anything about it as that kind of endurance comes from years of pre-seasons. Even if you get up to doing 5k runs you will still fall off well before others in open kicking drills and the like. Thee seasons in for me and I still am well behind just about all the other blokes. The worst is all the under 19's running rings around you though! haha

Best thing though is work on your kicking. Youll be way way more useful by being able to kick to a target then being able to run around without touching the ball.

Also start adding about 50grams of additional protein to your diet each day. Always seems to make my recovery a heap better if I keep it up.

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 8, 2015

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

Better not be like a "Battlers Battle" or something like that. Then you'll have people crawling out of the woodwork with ACA style stories all over the footy. or maybe it'll be a round to celebrate Baby Boomers who have had it tough.

Nothing quite like watching the most entitled generation in existence complain about how hard it was being able to walk into a business and find a job, pay pennies for a house and receive free education up the whazoo.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

That basically sums up every person I ever spoke to on the phone in customer service. We dubbed them, collectively, "Murray from Caboolture".

Murray generally always thinks he deserves a hand out and $5 knocked off his bill, makes the 3 properties a little easier to deal with. So god help if he finds out they're considering dedicating a round of footy to him and he doesn't get it.

It truly is difficult being a landlord, having to maintain basic living conditions for the 20 somethings paying you exorbitant rent on the land you inherited and subdivided.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Angus Brayshaw has had his sentence extended by 2 years

I really wish clubs were forced to wait a year before attempting to re-sign first year players. It sets a bad precedence in entrusting far too much to a kid who hasnt even played a game and also convincing an 18 year old to commit 4 years in a place he actually hasnt experienced properly yet and may not actually fit in come the rigors of the actual season.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Ah, Jupiter, is he to leave,

is a foreigner to pour scorn on our kingdom? Shall my Tyrians

ready their armour, and follow them out of the city, and others drag

our ships from their docks? Go, bring fire quickly, hand out the

weapons, drive the oars! What am I saying? Where am I?

What madness twists my thoughts? Wretched Dido, is it now

that your impious actions hurt you? The right time was then,

when you gave him the crown. So this is the word and loyalty

of the man whom they say bears his father’s gods around,

of the man who carried his age-worn father on his shoulders?

Couldn’t I have seized hold of him, torn his body apart,

and scattered him on the waves? And put his friends to the sword,

and Ascanius even, to feast on, as a course at his father’s table?

True the fortunes of war are uncertain. Let them be so:

as one about to die, whom had I to fear? I should have set fire

to his camp, filled the decks with flames, and extinguishing

father and son, and their whole race, given up my own life as well.

O Sun, you who illuminate all the works of this world,

and you Juno, interpreter and knower of all my pain,

and Hecate howled to, in cities, at midnight crossroads,

you, avenging Furies, and you, gods of dying Elissa,

acknowledge this, direct your righteous will to my troubles,

and hear my prayer. If it must be that the accursed one

should reach the harbour, and sail to the shore:

if Jove’s destiny for him requires it, there his goal:

still, troubled in war by the armies of a proud race,

exiled from his territories, torn from Iulus’s embrace,

let him beg help, and watch the shameful death of his people:

then, when he has surrendered, to a peace without justice,

may he not enjoy his kingdom or the days he longed for,

but let him die before his time, and lie unburied on the sand.

This I pray, these last words I pour out with my blood.

Then, O Tyrians, pursue my hatred against his whole line

and the race to come, and offer it as a tribute to my ashes.

Let there be no love or treaties between our peoples.

Rise, some unknown avenger, from my dust, who will pursue

the Trojan colonists with fire and sword, now, or in time

to come, whenever the strength is granted him.

I pray that shore be opposed to shore, water to wave,

weapon to weapon: let them fight, them and their descendants.

So gently caress Mitch Clarke am i right?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

It explains Pav's nose.

The CEO Steve Rosich said it was a painkiller not provided by the club doctor or staff member.

Makes a lot more sense considering his age. Body breaking down and the best way to cope is hitting the painkillers.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

I went down to the AFL 9s near my house on Wednesday. It's supposed to be a fun, friendly comp for local people just wanting a nice casual kick. Mixed teams, light contact, reduced ground size, etc.

Saverio Rocca turned up and kicked 8.

AFL 9s sucks rear end.

Well, it sucks rear end coming from playing actual local footy. Otherwise Im sure its good and fine.

Basically,
games are way too short (two 15 minute halves)
The turnover rule doesnt reward any kind of defensive play at all
Ball is a floaty light POS that is hard to kick accuratly
Umpires umpire varying rules at their discretion (just like AFL!)
9 is too many players for the field size (50x100metres). 7 is far better from when we had team members not show up.

Ive heard of an AFL7s game that is played someplace or another that fixes basically all these issues but no idea where.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

i agree about the ball. it really holds up in the air as well, you really have to adjust your short kicking style

I never got the hang of it. I would try a short pass that shot over their heads or try and hit it long and the thing just carried in the air as you said.

I mean, I understand not using a match ball for safety.. but its like a toy.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure that's the point just as much as the lack of "ow I got hit in the face with a sherrin" factor. They specifically want a ball that you can't kick long with because of the reduced dimensions of the field

You cant "kick" it long but the ball is light as gently caress and any sort of wind will carry it a good 20 extra meters. It was quite easy to go out of bounds with it.

Complaining about the weight of my balls here.

Meanwhile gently caress AFL9s, local footy is back and I've already destroyed my neck headbutting a guy trying to smother his kick in our first practice match. Oh footy, how I have missed thee.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Schlesische posted:

And to think Ahmed Saad is coming back this year too.

The 30 seconds is only to begin your run up, not complete it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Well, the Swans do have a player who was unjustly awarded Australian of the Year for bullying a girl who just wanted to call him a thing that was actually not racist at all, you see.

You almost had me there.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

That doesn't surprise me.

There was a rumor going around on bigfooty (so it's probably bullshit) that Reece McKenzie slipped so far in the draft last year was because he was taking PED's and the recruiters found out. You don't slip to pick 77 after having a very good year as a key forward without there being something majorly wrong.

Considering we were speculating taking him at pick 21/22 it was a fair fall from there. Still, Bigfooty is full of notorious wankers (including some in the Saints forum) who are not above slinging a lot of poo poo that wouldnt actually stick.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, the best documentaries are where a crew just happen to be filming something else, and then get hold of a massive story with all the access as it happens.

Also st kilda aren't going to be doing any warmups on the ground for their final nab cup game, because they believe that the crowd actually seeing st kilda players will prematurely kill any possible excitement

Actually we are trialing a disco style entry to bring back the old social club days to a new audience. Yes thats right, were all gonna get laid. :smug:

Except you, being a Melbourne supporter is like being the bass player.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

A whole bunch of st Kilda players entering late to a poorly lit sex room. Nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Etihad is truly the sexiest of all stadiums. Just needs mirrors on the roof.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-22/buddy-kod

:stonk:

The GWS reserves game was ended when an ambulance had to be called for Paul Ahern (GWS pick 7 last year) after some incident that caused suspected neck/head injuries. I don't know any more than that, but it can't be good if they had to call an ambulance.

Here's hoping everyone is ok.

Bigfooty is saying he (Ahern) was cleared of neck injuries and is out of hospital.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Cloud the Cat posted:

All I remember is Dermott Brereton talking over everyone for an hour whilst trying to sound like some kind of football prophet.

SURELY you jest my friend.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

North have got one more year where they have realistic top 4 expectations before the age of their list starts to catch up to them.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Here's my round 1 best 22 for the Saints:

code:
FB: Dempster ~ Delaney ~ Geary
HB: Savage ~ Fisher ~ Newnes
C: Templeton ~ Weller ~ Riewoldt
HF: Saunders ~ Bruce  ~ Billings
FF: Lonie ~ McCartin ~ Saad
R: Hickey ~ Steven ~ Armitage

IN: Membrey ~ Dunstan ~  Acres
SUB: Sinclair  
Yes, Roo will play on the wing. Yes, he will be awesome at it. :colbert:

Saunders could be swapped for Curren, we might play Longer as a genuine 2nd ruck (I hope not) but I think until we get a few back from injury that's pretty close to our best 22.

Players you've never heard of but should look out for:
Lonie (#37) - Small forward that applies lots of pressure and is real creative with the ball.
Sinclair (#40) - He played a few games with Williamstown in the VFL last year and impressed. Good kicking on both feet and just looks ready to play AFL.
Acres (#8) - 190cm prototype modern mid. Might take a few years to really get up to AFL speed but his development will be exciting to watch. Club has said that he's got the best 'athletic profile' at the club (whatever that means).

We are in no way as certain a lock for the spoon this year as people believe. Our biggest issue was leaking huge amounts of points due to a non existent backline most of the year. Considering we outscored melbourne with a one man forward line last year I think going in with about 6 options this year is going to help us a considerable amount in that regard.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

Tom Bell & Tom Hickey allegedly. All queenslanders and all in that 23/24 age range.

Rumour mill has also stated the the two players are another two from Collingwood.

So no one has any real clue right at the moment.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

If you return a positive test and become provisionally suspended are you allowed to train with the club? Cause if so that would rule out Hickey cause he trained today. But on the other had: didn't Saad play 1 game after it was revealed in the news? I have no idea how any of this poo poo works.

No idea at all.

Not much really makes sense in all this. Could Hickey be linked purely because of where he came from in relation to the other two players? Who knows at this stage.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

More evidence is admissible in the AFL tribunal but assuming those three retired judges did their job properly it would have been weighted the same as it would have been in a court of law. However the statements that ASADA's two key witnesses refused to sign off on that ASADA apparently relied upon so heavily would not be admissible in a normal court of law I pretty sure so it is swings and roundabouts.

:lol:

Sometimes when there is no or insufficient evidence that something took place it means it didn't actually happen.

Come on man. What do you think Essendon was actually doing then?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

boy undead posted:

Please not Tom Hickey. Please. Just one off-season. One.

(Jason Holmes come on doooown)
Turns out the reports of two more players were purposely circulated rumours and baseless.

In response I think we should sack Hird, disband essendon and eat Paul Little. In that order.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Shoot James Hird into the sun imo
This is a brownlow worthy opinion right here.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Just in case anyone has forgotten, James Hird is a filthy corrupt cheat.

No this is not an april fools day post.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

For argument's sake, lets say that nothing the players were given were performance enhancing or banned. Let's say that Hird wanted to find new ways to help players recover without crossing any lines which veer into performance enhancing or banned substances. IF that were the case, I don't see how that is too different from a player going down into the rooms to get a jab to deal with the pain so they can come back on and play. Or the way other clubs do have sports science programs and administer actual non-banned, totally approved substances such as vitamins. Both are technically unnatural ways of helping the body cope with something that has happened to it on the field, and are introducing something new into the system. IF, for argument's sake, this is all Hird wanted then I don't see how the corrupt cheat label can really be applied to him. He states that's all he wanted, the results yesterday can't prove otherwise. So, for all Hird's faults I don't think a corrupt cheat is one of them. Of course he could be a filthy corrupt cheat if it was his intention to have performance enhancing drugs administered, but as yesterday showed, we can't prove that.

However, as we all know, what he did do is not give a flying gently caress about what the players were actually given. Put complete trust in a fuckwit like Dank to run it and in turn, potentially put the careers, and health of the player's and their families at risk due to complete and utter loving negligence, arrogance, and selfishness. That selfishness further demonstrated when he appealed the decision last year against the wishes of the club and the players.

Is he a filthy corrupt cheat? I don't think we can actually say that with certainty and the tag is old already.

Is he a loving idiot who deserves to be launched into the sun for his decisions which allowed all of this to happen under his watch? Absolutely.

Then again, champion player m8, u couldnt play as well as him m8. He came back from 2 potentially career ending injuries so dont say poo poo about him hes innocent m8 #standbyhird #wrestlemania31

(Yeah, I'm hoping that last sentence highlights the differences between the folk who defend him and how I semi-defend him in this case. But really, it's less of a defence and more of a pointer that your feelings towards him are justified, just not for those reasons).

edit: ANYWAYS. gently caress it, I'm so ready to move on now. Now, my loving supercoach team. That headache enducing BS.

Are we definitely going with 2 leagues this year when both have around 11-12 people in them? Can we not open up the Goon Cash Splash one to more people and anyone from the Laycock league who hasn't joined is able to jump across so that we are all in one? Otherwise we'll be playing with a bunch of pubbies, and damned if a pubbie will win a Goon league :colbert:

Best april fools day prank yet. Nice work!

Just checking my "cheating crookometer" and we... are still confirmed for Hird!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Still need 4 more players in the Jayson Laycock cup guys. GET IN.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Yeah, it's the first thing I've seen that has really made me want to buy it.

The Saints one at Moorabbin is just some clothing racks in the lobby of the social club (which is a poo poo hole full of pokies). The sooner Moorabbin gets redeveloped the better.

Its not that bad man haha. But yeah, the "social" club is totally bleh.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Ha, even Barret is right for once.*

Bugg should have had a week and got lucky Riewoldt didnt have any ligament damage in his neck.

*he isnt THAT bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

He's not right and he is pretty bad

He ran into the back of an opposing player backing "sideways" metres away from the contest. The only reason he got off was that he gave Riewoldt whiplash instead of breaking ribs.

• Locked thread