Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
David King is on the Fox Footy pre-game.

Foxtel couldn't find any other analyst while King is under investigation by VicPol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Gough Suppressant posted:

I reckon mark jamars probably Melbournes best ever ruck, I can't think of anyone else who has been so reliable for us for so long

This is trolling right?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

“In fact, we are reasonably confident that no major venue or sporting event in the world, other than perhaps Augusta National Golf Course, has or can match what we are offering today.”

Wait, so the Four N Twenty Meat Pies are cheaper at Augusta? Do they only serve Carlton Draught at Augusta too?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Peter Larkins just posted this on twitter (didn't know I followed him!)

40% AFL ACL tears occur preseason-Another 35% by mid season-only 25% occur after R11

Players going too hard too soon? Soggy, winter grounds are better for knees?
Pretty intriguing.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

redweird posted:

I think Paul Dempsey barracks for the Saints.

Correct.

Another kid who grew up on the Peninsula who became a big Sainters supporter.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Amen. Nothing like Saturday mornings with the Coodabeens followed by the footy commentated by people who actually know what they're on about.

I caught Drew Morphett's last call during the cricket season - he'd been made redundant by Abbott's ABC cuts I believe. Anyway, they played a career retrospective of him on Grandstand and it was brilliant.

Obviously he was a fantastic footy commentator but some of his other calls, especially the cycling in the Olympics were brilliant.

Shame he won't be on the air this season.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I thought the Eureka game was for tough times?
Wait, does the Eureka game still even exist?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I'm going to Melbourne vs bulldogs at eureka stadium on Saturday does that count?

Melbourne and the Doggies are certainly the right teams to celebrate tough times.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

That's you. This is me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DIjKEAnXQ

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Gee, Nick Stevens seems like a lovely bloke...

The Age posted:

A magistrate has signalled he will jail former AFL star Nick Stevens for assaulting his ex-girlfriend in what was described in a court as "sustained violence" against a woman.

Stevens, 35, who played 231 games for Port Adelaide and Carlton, was in January found guilty of five counts of assault, two charges of intentionally causing injury, three of making threats to kill and single counts of threatening serious injury and criminal damage.

The charges related to incidents in 2012 and 2013 against his girlfriend of the time, including one instance on April 27, 2013 when he pushed the woman's head into a brick wall.

Stevens was found not guilty of a number of charges, while some alternate offences were withdrawn.

The former Carlton vice-captain admitted sending 2500 text messages to the woman in a two-month period and spending time with her at a P!nk concert, in a hotel room, at a pub and at friends' homes.

Leading Senior Constable Mark Sontag, prosecuting, told Ringwood Magistrates Court the text messages Stevens sent the woman included psychological abuse, threats of violence and claims he would self-harm, which made her feel manipulated.

In one text, the court heard, Stevens told the woman she would find herself "six foot under", while in another he threatened to "smash" in the mouth a man who was preparing to give evidence in court against him.

Magistrate Nunzio La Rosa, who earlier this year found Stevens guilty after a contested hearing, described the offending as "sustained violence" against a woman he was in a relationship with, and found he had not shown any remorse.

Stevens' contested hearing was told he assaulted the woman after she confronted him over his alleged infidelity during their relationship.
Mr La Rosa accepted character evidence Stevens was a great footballer and of otherwise good character, but said community standards expected an immediate jail term to be a "starting point" in sentencing in serious cases of domestic violence.

"This is an example, in my view, of not his general attitude towards women. It is his attitude .... of the person he is in a relationship with. That is the issue that the community is currently grappling with," he said.

The magistrate cited as the basis for his view a case in which a County Court judge imposed a three-month jail term on a man who had assaulted a woman at a nightclub. The man was initially fined by a magistrate, but prosecutors launched an appeal and argued that penalty was inadequate. The Court of Appeal later upheld the judge's decision.

Defence counsel Serge Petrovich said Stevens had paid a bigger price for his offending than most, given his profile and because the guilty verdicts had ruined his coaching career.

Stevens was sacked as coach of South Australian side Glenelg on the day he was found guilty, and AFL side St Kilda had earlier told him they could not consider him for an assistant coach role because of the charges against him, the court heard.

Mr Petrovich said his client, who retired from the AFL in 2009 because of a neck injury, did not suffer from alcohol, drug or psychological problems.

Friends, including former Carlton chief executive Michael Malouf, also lauded his good character, leadership and the role he played as the friend of a disabled boy.

The court heard Stevens and his ex-girlfriend had a tumultuous relationship, and that in the text messages he sent between June and August 2013, he said he loved her, but also called her a "f...ing bitch" and a "slut", and threatened that his lawyers would portray her as a "crack whore".

Leading Senior Constable Sontag said one text read: "No worries, I'll end my life. F... you."

Another said: "Enjoy the damage. I will. But just remember you asked for it."

Stevens said in one text he would "smash the c... in the mouth", in a reference to a man who was to give evidence against him.

The court heard the woman also sent about 2500 text messages during this period despite the intervention order in place. The order, which prevented any contact between the pair, was later varied to allow contact, the court heard.

Mr La Rosa accepted Stevens was distressed at the time, but also asked if he was trying to coerce the woman into withdrawing her allegations of violence.

Mr Petrovich insisted his client was not trying to pervert the course of justice.

Stevens had his bail extended and is likely to be sentenced next week.

"but he is a good bloke your honor, can kick a footy and is friends with a cripple"

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gabensraum posted:

Richmond to consider giving him another run.

Ben Cousins doesn't need a bad influence like Dustin Martin in his life.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

Rumour is a big part of his depression was self inflicted due to him loving about with a stripper and ruining his current relationship.

I doubt this is true, I follow Mitch on Instagram (he is a talented as gently caress photographer - i saw him and Nathan Jones wandering the city one morning taking pics) and he is constantly taking photos of his then-gf now wife.

They look like they've been together for a while.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Honestly, I'm not looking at anything as too concerning until Richmond choke in the 4th quarter against Carlton in a few weeks time.

Hey, gently caress you.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

You Am I posted:

That's a bit too bogan thing for a Melbourne supporter to do. I would expect a Collingwood or Port Power supporter to do that :wotwot:

How would you see the Ralph Lauren logo on his polo shirt if he was wearing a footy jumper over the top!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Some arsehole at Wrestlemania has a Stand By Hird sign.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Does anyone know an AFL :filez: website?

Instead of watching the Richmond demolition of Carlton tomorrow I will be watching New Japan Pro Wrestling instead but I want to avoid all results and watch the game on the plane home on Saturday.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

As much as they should be a better side than Carlton, I can never feel comfortable tipping Richmond to win.

I hate this game against Carlton so much I scheduled my holiday to make sure I was out of the country when it took place.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Just watched the replay, go Tiges!

I was shocked at how well Taylor Hunt went about it. Was shaky in the first but I thought his hardness was a bit of a catalyst for the rest of the team.

I was also super impressed with Griffiths and Riewoldt up forward. If that form keeps up I can see Vickery headed elsewhere next year.

Also for the Pro Wrestling nerds in the thread, if you ever have the chance to see a New Japan local show, do it, it was a hell of a lot of fun. I got a New Japan x Hello Kitty t-shirt which if we ever have a goon meet I will ensure I wear.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

A couple of years ago I had the chance to see 2 NJPW/CMLL joint promoted shows at Korakuen Hall. and you are not wrong about how much fun it is.

But yay for football!

Awesome, the show I went to was at Korakuen too. There were these 3 kids sitting next to my GF and and I who were about 14 and they were going OFF throughout the entire show. It was so much fun even if the guys we're mostly going through the motions.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

North Melbourne are playing dumb footy.

Higgins looked good though.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Taylor Walker :vince:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Oh for anyone wondering, it seems it's been replaced by "the Sunday huddle", which appears to be mainly a talkback show. FUCKS SAKE

Further to this though, my phone downloaded podcasts of the Saturday Agenda and the Sunday Huddle.

I think both shows are new?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Saturday agenda is what they call the Saturday pregame show, I don't think it was podcasted last year though. It's pretty good, they will have a current player on for the whole discussion usually. This week was Dawes which I liked a lot since he is really well spoken and thoughtful.

I've heard Dawes on a bunch of different things and I totally agree, he really does seem like one of the smartest and most genuine footballers going around. I suspect he will have a fantastic career in the media after his playing days are over if he wishes.

Reminds me a lot of Adam Freier, the rugby union bloke they often have on Offsiders.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Yeah, he is. Doesn't look the sort for it but it explains the lack of tattoos on his sleeves/neck/eyelids compared to former and current teammates

Given the types of people they have/had at Collingwood in his time it makes you wonder if that was the reason he chose to leave.

Seemed perplexing at the time but I reckon I'd want to look at getting away from Cloke, Beams, Swan, Elliot etc

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

thepokey posted:

the review umpire that says "review underway" and "review complete. Confirmed touched." Sounds like same dude who did the umpires voice from the wonderful SNES (NES?) AFL game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBTndwRoqrU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Is there any chance of a team kicking it through the big sticks in the last quarter?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Motlop was apparently drinking with Luke Hodge's brother.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

On the "it's loving Richmond" subject, I was listening to the Tigs podcast during the week and they had Jake Bachelor on and he mentioned that during the offseason Richmond recruits the sports psychologist that is credited with shaping up Geelong in the Mark Thompson era.

Jake mentioned that in the past being 5 goals down to Carlton, as they were in Round 1, probably would have wound up in a loss but this bloke has really instilled in them the mental side of how to manage that pressure and turn things around.

It's all very convenient sounding but I'm hoping it's going to mean at least a few instances of games where "it's loving Richmond" isn't really going to cut it as an excuse anymore.

I've thought Richmond and North have been very similar in the last few years both from a talent and mental point of view - the North game on the weekend reminded me of Richmond's smashing by Port in the final last year. Maybe this is the thing the Tigs list needs to move past the Norths and co.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Richie Benaud died :(

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

AFL.com.au posted:

Cat Clark sledged by Hawks in Easter Monday clash

GEELONG captain Joel Selwood has revealed he was made aware post-match of comments directed at Mitch Clark during the Easter Monday clash against Hawthorn.

Playing his first AFL game since round four, 2013, Clark was the subject of dialogue from Hawthorn players relating to his past 12 months out of the game.

Speaking to Channel Nine, Selwood confirmed he and Clark had discussed the matter after the Hawks' 62-point win.

"I was unaware of it at the time of the game being played," Selwood said.

"I have had a discussion with him since the game, there was things brought up about it but we've had discussions before with Mitch and we understand this might be a possibility to come up."

Selwood said Clark was as prepared as possible for the comments that would come his way relating to his well-known battle with clinical depression.

"He's in a really good head space now and the way that he's come to our football club and the impact he's had on our football club already has been huge," he said.

"Personally, I wouldn't be going out there and saying it but if people choose to do it then he's ready for it.

"We're playing a team (Hawthorn) that is ruthless, that are the best team in the league at the moment. You probably expect it to come."

Hawthorn defender Josh Gibson said it was the first he had heard of the incident.

"It's an illness so I don't know if we should be going there," Gibson told Channel Nine.

"I played at that end of the ground and I didn't hear anything like that being said but I wasn't standing next to him to whole day. It's the first I've heard about it.

"What Joel's said that it's an ongoing issue for him.

"You (Geelong) guys have spoken with him and the club and they've probably put things in place to prepare him to hear things like that but you don't want to be hearing that on the field when it's a topic as delicate as that."

Clark told the Geelong website this week it was still an ongoing battle.

"I'm still working through a lot of things, I'm nowhere near cured," he said.

"Some people might see that I've come back to the game pretty quick after stepping away but the most important thing for me was to actually get that separation from the game.

"I still work with my doctor regularly and still take medication every day. I'm still working through a lot and footy's just a part of that."

The 27-year-old announced his retirement from football in April 2014 while playing with Melbourne, after being diagnosed with clinical depression.

He revealed his wish to return to the AFL in September, cutting ties with Melbourne and was recruited to Geelong in October.

That is not loving cool.
Seriously that poo poo is as bad as loving racial taunting.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

realbez posted:

It isn't as bad as racial taunting in the slightest, even if it was literally about his depression. Not that I'm condoning mocking him for having depression. If they were doing that then they should pull their heads in, but if was just about how he left Melbourne then I'd say that is fair game.

He left Melbourne to get treatment for Clinical Depression.
You can't have a go at him for that.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Spedman posted:

Judd to retire mid-year, because why bother.

I had this thought watching the game too.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Went to the Tigs game today - disappointing result obviously but gently caress if those Doggies don't look good.
Richmond could not execute it's game plan because of the crazy pressure put on them by the Dogs. Caused the Tigers to overuse the footy. Missing Deledio and Edwards really hurt our speed and we just couldn't get away from the tackling pressure.

Bontempelli is an absolute jet and I thought Gary Lyon made a really interesting point after the game in comparing him to Trent Cotchin. Cotch got a lot more ball but didn't do a lot with it, had very little impact. Bont on the other hand had a lot less ball but when he got it, was damaging. Richmond probably had too many players like that at the minute.

Rance though is an absolute loving beast and can basically write his own cheque at this point.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Cheers to the Gold Coast for being more insipid than Richmond and taking the heat off us in the media this week.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Spedman posted:

Sounds like a few Richmond supporters are not big fans of Lin Jong's heritage.

Ugh.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TIL Paul Chapman is still a listed AFL player.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Holy poo poo, Geelong is on the bottom of the ladder.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

monolithburger posted:

His leg will come clean off in the second quarter next week. 5 week injury.

His leg will come off and hit an opposition player in the face and he will get 3 from the tribunal.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Two teams have traded their existing talent agreesively in the last couple of years. The Saints and the Dogs.
The Dogs have probably got the best list of under 23s running around and the Saints look like they have some promising kids coming through.

Teams needs to better recognise when their window has closed, move players with currency on and accelerate their rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Blues needed to do this but half arsed it and brought in Daisy Thomas smdh

I thought the only reason they brought him in was because Mick loved him.

• Locked thread