Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Tyler and Corey are the only team that's actually good at this point. Sucks to see Bernie and Ashley knocked out.

This season hasn't been particularly great. Most of the teams are mediocre, and most of the legs have been fairly straight forward with very little switching around in position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The legs have been garbage, and the teams not much better. I think I came away from the original cast with maybe 3 teams I liked, and I normally like about half the teams. The finale is 2 terrible teams and one good team, so it's not worth watching because you know the memory challenge is going to be a trainwreck for the 2 bad teams. I normally talk about AR with my mom, a more diehard fan than myself, but she dropped out after ep 3 or so. The thread has been dead. Just seems like the leg designers took the season off because they figured their social media stars would carry it, but the portion of their audience who even knows who these people are isn't that huge.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Could be budget cuts too. Like, Survivor clearly has had its budget slashed but when that happens they can just make every other challenge a balance challenge of some sort and call it a day. You can't really do Amazing Race on the cheap I'd imagine. The show is well made, and I think even Sheri and Cole have finally grown on me through the power of television editing, but I don't really care who wins at this point.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I think if going into this season I wasn't already a fan of Tyler and Korey, I wouldn't be enjoying this season at all. I really do love them though. Their podcast is sometimes dumb but sometimes hilarious.

This is a good Tyler video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzfgI3cdJk

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm happy Tyler and Korey lost.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

qbert posted:

Yeah, me too.

Hopefully next season is better. Maybe it was just the cast that was bad, but I really didn't enjoy this season.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

qbert posted:

I'm not. They were the best skilled out of the three remaining teams.

None of the teams were particularly great, and the legs have been pretty bland. The entire leg was decided by who got the clue first when they jumped, and the final challenge was pretty simple as well, no extra letters or anything to throw people off.

I'm hoping next season will be better, but if they're on a lower budget than the earlier, good seasons, I won't hold out for much improvement.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Didn't watch because I figured Tyler and Korey would win, but that leg sounds like crap and a good representation of the season.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Eltoasto posted:

Didn't watch because I figured Tyler and Korey would win, but that leg sounds like crap and a good representation of the season.

The dancers won because they jumped off a building and managed to grab a clue hanging in front of them, where the the other teams took two and three tries each.

The dancers were done with the final challenge before the other teams even showed up, though it seems they did the other tasks fairly quickly. They couldn't even use editing to disguise the mystery of who might come in first. The final challenge is usually the part of the race that decides the final leg, but it wasn't even that hard. Essentially remember 9 of the cities they've been to, with each one having a hashtag and spelling out the city names. Good final challenges have a bunch of red herrings to throw people off and second guess themselves. For this one, when the teams finished, there were no extra letters or hashtags left, so even if they had forgotten one of them, they could easily figure it out from the process of elimination.

So, yeah, crap leg, crap season.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What a terrible final task. No team had difficulty with it at all, thus ensuring that there was essentially no jockeying for first. They tried as much as they could to edit it like "Oh, the dancers are lost, they're not gonna find the finish line!" but it was a failure.

I kinda love that this is the second time in a row Phil has had to tell people at the finish line "Uhhh, your relationship is terrible" I hope that becomes a running theme.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

thedaian posted:

So, yeah, crap leg, crap season.

Woah, salty over the results, much? This was a pretty poor season overall but it's at least interesting to see classically toxic team succeed.

Agreed that the final task was thoroughly uninspired and really made the episode land with a thud. I'm sure they don't want to make the final task too complicated, but given that every team is meta-gaming the memory tasks now they should probably add in some more significant puzzle components to create some tension. If there are any more seasons.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

thedaian posted:

I'm not. They were the best skilled out of the three remaining teams.

I don't believe Tyler/Korey were the best skilled out of the remaining teams. Strength/speed/memory-wise, they were basically even with the dancers. Yeah, the bickering between the dancers were definitely a negative, but all they needed was one leg of them not fighting, and things pretty much played out exactly how I expected.

The finale wasn't very exciting but I'm not really a fan of needle-in-a-haystack final challenges inserted to deliberately bunch up every team and maximize the drama, so I was fine with the last challenge being purely memory-based, even though it was a bit on the easy side.

It was nowhere near as bad as some other final challenges the show's had in past seasons. Like the one in Las Vegas(?) where the final challenge was sky-diving into the middle of a stadium, and whoever got in the helicopter first won because it was literally impossible to pass them in line.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, based on what team won, I'm going to call this season decent. I kind of soured on Tyler and Korey after they hashtagged Burnie and Ashley as the Villains last episode, if anyone were the villains of the season, it would have been they themselves. And it wasn't even that they were bad or anything, they were just so smug through most of it.

The tasks were a bit simple this time around, with the building jump my least favorite. Any task which the teams can't all do simultaneously on the last leg is a bad one. It's automatically sets the order for most of the episode.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 15, 2016

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm pretty sure Tyler and Korey lost because they missed that first clue box. It just screwed them for the whole leg.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
No fall Amazing Race? I know it was renewed, but its not on the schedule, is this the end? I hope not!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It was recorded in June, so it should be showing up in late Sept/early Oct...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Something weird going on. Everyones wondering why it's not airing this fall and the producers and Phil aren't responding. Did someone die on it or something?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I've not been paying too much attention, but has there been any news on what has happened to to the latest season?

Last I remember seeing was Phil tweeting that it was 'coming' a month or so ago...

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

It would have made the news if someone died on it. I wonder if CBS is waiting to see how Big Brother OTT does on All Access before deciding in AR goes on it or regular TV.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They are waiting to see which of their new shows isn't going to make it and then give Amazing Race the slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Next season premiers Friday, April 21st. Almost a year off. We watch this show with my parents, so I guess this will give us time to introduce them to Westworld.

• Locked thread