Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wouldn't a good addition to the formula simply be a "Surprise! All the teams in the back half of the race have to go back and complete BOTH detour legs." instead of trying to force a u-turn leg where no one would bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Why did someone invent this chair skating thing?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Geez they are simply one of the worst teams in a while, both episodes they hosed around chatting when they should have been racing. Thank goodness it cost them the leg this time.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
also boo to the date night thing, trying way too hard to make this survivor.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I thought the dating concept would've been awful, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Don't mind the selfie crap either, but give it time.

Seconding that I want to know more about their Fitbit results

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Missing their train because they were taking selfie videos :haw:

Date night is a cool idea, but does reek of Survivor. I think they've done some similar things in the past, though.

Not exactly a bad episode, still too early to really have any teams to root for. I do like that most of the teams are enjoying the race this time, that's always a plus for me.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I love how the thread tag isn't even the one with Phil in it.

This season is pretty standard so far. I was expecting a bigger disaster.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think with a weaker cast all the gimmicks would probably put me off but the cast is strong enough that I'm enjoying this more than stuff in years.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yeah honestly I was a huge skeptic but I have to say, the casting is great and if you just look at the blind date gimmick as "how would strangers fare at this", which is how most of those couples seem to be viewing it anyway, it's pretty entertaining

And the selfie thing would've been useless were it not for the grade A schadenfreude that we were given with the team missing their train due to their little video they were making

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I don't mind the dating gimmick so much, mainly because it seems like it's going to mean more pitstop stuff will be shown. Phil prodding about the relationship stuff with the blind date people this early on is dumb though.There are some pretty likeable teams (the blind date lawyers and the non blind date gay team in particular), and the stranger aspect seems to be forcing some teams to actually do really well precisely because they are keeping their emotions and outbursts under control. There are also some interesting team dynamics we haven't seen so much of; the trucker/roller derby couple is getting the same sort of "staying under control" benefits as the strangers, because the guy is trying super hard (so hard that he'll blow at some point?), and the doctor/nurse team is kind of funny since the doctor clearly doesn't give a gently caress about the nurse.

Happy at the elimination. Missing the train because they were taking a selfie is so delightfully stupid, and I always find it incredibly creepy when there's a couple where one of them is "we're going to get married, right? If we win the race, let's get married! :downs:" and the other one is "ah, yeah.. sure.. I guess <_<". Stop trying to use internationally broadcast television to bully people into marrying you, christ. Goes double for "if we win the race, we'll have a kid". If you need to win the race to affirm that you should be getting married or having kids, you sure as hell shouldn't be doing either.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Am I really the only person who hates this season? So far this is easily my least favorite season. I barely have any idea who half the teams are because they weren't introduced at the beginning, nor are their team descriptions very memorable or descriptive, and on top of that the tasks are all terrible. Plus there''s all the #selfie business and a dumb gimmick.

That isn't to say I won't watch the rest of it. I'll watch it because I have nothing better to do and I'm stupid.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Reminds me of a gif of a person playing with his toys or pets and forcing them to mate.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

I thought the dating concept would've been awful, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Don't mind the selfie crap either, but give it time.

Seconding that I want to know more about their Fitbit results

I'm liking it too.

Thought it would be schlock, but found out again I like both the race and interpersonal relations aspects.

And not to much drama yet.

And no one to hate.

Product placement I learned to eyeroll/ignore a long time ago ("brought to you by…tastes as good a cigarette should!").

Yay! I'm old! And having fun with the girl liking her "perfect (blind date) man"!

Edit: Yay for the thread too! Thanks to the OP!

Otteration fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 1, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

For those who like this season, did you also enjoy the family edition?

If so, gently caress you.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Andorra posted:

I barely have any idea who half the teams are because they weren't introduced at the beginning, nor are their team descriptions very memorable or descriptive

The worst* part about this season is that the team descriptions are either "Dating" or "Blind Dating".

* In the way of "this is a mild inconvenience that makes it harder to actually distinguish the teams"

Narcissus1916 posted:

For those who like this season, did you also enjoy the family edition?

If so, gently caress you.

I haven't actually seen the family edition, but at least the teams this season are getting to travel around the world, instead of around the US in vans.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I am liking this season, no teams that I hate yet but a few that are growing on me. That one blonde looks like Amy Adams and that vaults their team to the top of the list. The selfie stuff was annoying in the first ep, but seemed toned down a lot in the 2nd ep, except for the hilarious missing of train :laffo:

I am interested to see which of the blind dates breaks from the "we are just thinking about the race!" mold first.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Andorra posted:

Am I really the only person who hates this season?
Nope. The gimmick is dumb, and bad, and terrible, and stupid, and dumb, and bad. Dating teams are almost always the most boring and/or terrible of all racing relationships, and this is a season where they're all dating teams, dear God. Plus, two episodes in, and the racing quality has taken an obvious nosedive (not surprising, given how much they must have been casting for mactors to "date" each other instead of interesting duos); each Roadblock has been an obvious, obvious Bad Choice/Good Choice, and in both cases the majority of the teams have not only chosen the Bad Choice, but refused to switch when it became obvious they'd chosen wrong.

I think it's very telling that the teams doing the best are established couples who don't fit the Ken/Barbie mold and "blind dates" who are hilariously snubbing the entire gimmick right to Phil's face and going "what, no, this isn't how you date, we seem to get along well and that's good enough to race on" -- in other words, turning themselves into Friend teams.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm ok with good choice bad choice at this point in the season since it tends to harm people who aren't familiar with the show or very smart early on.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I am liking this season, no teams that I hate yet but a few that are growing on me. That one blonde looks like Amy Adams and that vaults their team to the top of the list. The selfie stuff was annoying in the first ep, but seemed toned down a lot in the 2nd ep, except for the hilarious missing of train :laffo:

I am interested to see which of the blind dates breaks from the "we are just thinking about the race!" mold first.

I'd say Jeff & Jackie are almost a lock to be that team.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I could give a toss about the gimmick.

But man, these two legs have been terribly designed. Think I'll just wait for Amazing Race Canada to return.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rick posted:

I'm ok with good choice bad choice at this point in the season since it tends to harm people who aren't familiar with the show or very smart early on.
Yeah, but more than half the teams are showing themselves to be either not familiar or not very smart. That's not promising.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Oh my loving God Hayley

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I wasn't expecting Blair to be the one really into it.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

What did he lose? My dog started barking.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SteveVizsla posted:

What did he lose? My dog started barking.

A fanny pack and now it's clear why he freaked

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Nice to see the New Kids didn't get completely screwed by their flight.

So sick of all this love poo poo.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I think I figured out why the hot blonde nurse with big boobs is still single.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Eltoasto posted:

I think I figured out why the hot blonde nurse with big boobs is still single.

Well, maybe if guys would listen to her every once in a while.

Seriously, they have to listen.

I mean, it's important that they listen to her.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

Well, maybe if guys would listen to her every once in a while.

Seriously, they have to listen.

I mean, it's important that they listen to her.

He really should've listened to her on that one thing we're not going to talk about anymore.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That was a pretty boring episode, honestly. No apparent roadblock, the people in last were there because of bad plane schedules, and we continue the theme of one detour taking a lot longer than the other, and being the obvious bad choice.

I'm hoping the legs will get better, but so far this season has been a bit mediocre.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

thedaian posted:

That was a pretty boring episode, honestly. No apparent roadblock, the people in last were there because of bad plane schedules, and we continue the theme of one detour taking a lot longer than the other, and being the obvious bad choice.

I'm hoping the legs will get better, but so far this season has been a bit mediocre.

Yep, that was the most forgettable episode I've seen. no real change to status quo and god I just hope RxForLove dies in a fire. But given how much time they were shown in the first episode I'm betting final 3.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Nice to see the fatty hipsters win and the doctor to finally enjoy something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

thedaian posted:

Yeah, this was the first episode I've watched but didn't finish, about halfway through I realised I'd mentally checked out when it became clear that once again one of the detours was clearly easier than the other.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I just watched the first three episodes. I had a hard time paying attention. Too many dating couples or potentially dating couples made it very boring to me.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As long as they're doing racing stuff it's fine, if a little uninspired vis a vis the quality of the racers. But every time they talk about the relationship stuff, especially when Phil does it, the whole thing screeches to a halt and I get annoyed.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
I like most of the cast so far. The nurse and the doctor being at odds like this make sense, because I've found IRL that same sort of dynamic in a lot of doctor's offices (nagging nurses who have to be like that to get doctors to pay attention). I'm really surprised how much I'm liking team NKOTB, I'm hoping they go all the way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wow. Zero posts? Death slot.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Survivor is the only thing I live watch nowadays.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
That speed bump seemed uncharacteristically difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Next episode is April 3. Tonight should have been the finale, but CBS scheduling is stupid.

• Locked thread