Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Most people probably watch it on DVR since it's a Friday night show. I just did and let me tell you, Hayley is a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Eltoasto posted:

Hayley is a crazy person.

Doctor is about two legs away from outright sabotaging his team to get away from her.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
The look Doc threw at the camera mid-nag was classic. He's on a bad date but dude is playing it cool.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Wren610 posted:

The look Doc threw at the camera mid-nag was classic. He's on a bad date but dude is playing it cool.

Agreed.

She, in the span of 30 seconds, said she was in charge and then immediately asked him what they should do, then said he was in charge and the second he chose a direction started bitching about it.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
3 weeks until the next episode? That's going to kill the show more than Friday night deathslot.

This was another leg with a detour option of death, and a fairly straight-forward roadblock. It felt like they spent a good portion of the episode on people trying to find the metal castle just to drag it out.

I'm waiting for the doctor to intentionally sabotage a task or something so he can end the bad date.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah CBS pays big money for March Madness, which will have games the next 2 Fridays. Probably could have planned around it better, there should have been time to start after basketball and finish before BB.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What a lovely leg. What's the point of having a non-elimination with a team many hours behind if in the next leg you're a)not going to have a bunch up at the beginning b)have a speedbump that is significantly more difficult than usual c)have a clearly superior/inferior detour pair (AGAIN! ughh) where no aspect of skill, knowledge, intelligence whatever comes into EITHER option.

What a pointless episode, New Kids were doomed beyond doubt before the leg even started.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Legs where the challenges are so easy that there is almost no hope of anyone catching up are bs. Feels like they are cutting costs sometimes by making sure they don't have to pay anyone overtime to hang around late.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baddog posted:

Legs where the challenges are so easy that there is almost no hope of anyone catching up are bs. Feels like they are cutting costs sometimes by making sure they don't have to pay anyone overtime to hang around late.

I was actually wondering if the designers of the challenge quit / got laid off and we just have people making them without adequate experience.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I want teamRX to not only win but be the only one who stayed together after. It would just be so drat hilarious to see the most mismatched pair make it while the others which started out so well fall to pieces.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Even though team doctor wastes time on arguing they are still doing pretty well considering which place they have gotten in last two legs.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Poor Doctor. That girl he's with is horrible. He's trying to be cool about it but I want him to just call her on her poo poo.

NKOTB had no chance of catching up this leg unfortunately.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014

Nexal posted:

Even though team doctor wastes time on arguing they are still doing pretty well considering which place they have gotten in last two legs.

They're the most entertaining team to watch this season. I hope they last

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
This is a bad season and someone was clearly way too into the whole "BLIND DATE LET'S MAKE THEM FALL IN LOVE ON THE RACE" idea, and I think it was Phil, because he's just so into it at the mat. My only joy remains all the teams just taking every opportunity to rubbish the stupid gimmick to his face.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
I hope there are still more races after this

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Nexal posted:

The best part about this team is that it seems that everyone is in on the joke but the woman. I would love if he kept mugging for the camera like he was in Parks and Recreation or The Office .

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Sports: Ruining The Amazing Race's schedule since 2001.

CapnAndy posted:

This is a bad season and someone was clearly way too into the whole "BLIND DATE LET'S MAKE THEM FALL IN LOVE ON THE RACE" idea, and I think it was Phil, because he's just so into it at the mat. My only joy remains all the teams just taking every opportunity to rubbish the stupid gimmick to his face.

Yeah, he keeps bringing it up too much for the blind date gimmick to be something the producers thrust upon him. Watching some of the blind date teams just rolling with the competition part and ignoring the "date" part is pretty good.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Hey it's back! :geno:

Nothing too exciting, though teams did fail to drive a stick shift. And the last gay team gave up and quit because of the stick shift. That's disappointing, really.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah that guy was a huge jerk, just basically giving up on the race because he didn't need money and it wasn't a match. I'm glad the Dr is at least having fun with the camera about how crazy the nurse is. This season is a failure if none of the blind dates hook up, and right now Jackie/Jeff are probably the only shot.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah that guy was a huge jerk, just basically giving up on the race because he didn't need money and it wasn't a match. I'm glad the Dr is at least having fun with the camera about how crazy the nurse is. This season is a failure if none of the blind dates hook up, and right now Jackie/Jeff are probably the only shot.

It's still an entertaining season. They're shoving the love thing down our throats, but aside from that, I don't mind the challenges and teams. The Doctor/Nurse team is a trainwreck that the doctor is fully aware of and he knows that the edit will vindicate him.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I'm the only one who actually enjoys this season apparently... I'm really surprised that people aren't liking it as much as I do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Ehhh I still think Tyler and Laura might.

Hayley is loving awful though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Nexal posted:

I'm the only one who actually enjoys this season apparently... I'm really surprised that people aren't liking it as much as I do.

I'm enjoying it. I think the gimmick hasn't paid off and probably won't, but it's still AR and I still enjoy the normal play of it. There isn't a powerhouse team that I hate, so I may enjoy the finale more than normal.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
I like the teams mostly this year, I dont like the challenges, nothing has been too hard. Like tonight, in past seasons when they had to sing, even in a foreign language, they had to memorize it. Each episode some team gets out first early and it just remains that way, there is only leap frogging like 1 or 2 teams in a task, the only task (except driving stick) that caused any team any major trouble was dancing.

Ill really like this season IF the tasks get harder.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really have no problems with the teams at all. It's made it at least entertaining to watch.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

MrDingleDangle posted:

I like the teams mostly this year, I dont like the challenges, nothing has been too hard. Like tonight, in past seasons when they had to sing, even in a foreign language, they had to memorize it. Each episode some team gets out first early and it just remains that way, there is only leap frogging like 1 or 2 teams in a task, the only task (except driving stick) that caused any team any major trouble was dancing.

Ill really like this season IF the tasks get harder.

This is pretty much my complaint with this season. I want to see interesting, complex challenges that allow teams to change positions and get through the legs via skill. What's happened so far is most of the challenges are purely a "this takes X time, this takes Y time", especially the detours with one task clearly taking a lot longer than the other. Most of the time, the seasons start a bit slow and the challenges ramp up, though sometimes the final leg is utterly disappointing (be the first person to find the helicopter ride place!) There hasn't really been anything that slowed down a team when they're at a challenge this year, though, except for the dancing in Japan. The two teams that ended up being behind this leg did so because they couldn't drive stick and they got lost. That was about it. This is probably one of the first times I've seen so many racers on the mat together leg after leg.

At least the teams are all generally worth watching, especially the doctor looking at the camera whenever his date from hell starts complaining.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I don't think we're going to find a challenge this season that is outrageous as "Measure Liechtenstein". It was not even a hard challenge, but it just sounds ludicrous.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ehhh I still think Tyler and Laura might.

I don't know, Tyler was playing it down pretty heavily. "We're definitely in the friends zone, and right now we're just focused on trying to do well in the race" is basically a diplomatic way of saying "Not really feeling it."

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

thedaian posted:

This is pretty much my complaint with this season. I want to see interesting, complex challenges that allow teams to change positions and get through the legs via skill. What's happened so far is most of the challenges are purely a "this takes X time, this takes Y time", especially the detours with one task clearly taking a lot longer than the other. Most of the time, the seasons start a bit slow and the challenges ramp up, though sometimes the final leg is utterly disappointing (be the first person to find the helicopter ride place!) There hasn't really been anything that slowed down a team when they're at a challenge this year, though, except for the dancing in Japan. The two teams that ended up being behind this leg did so because they couldn't drive stick and they got lost. That was about it. This is probably one of the first times I've seen so many racers on the mat together leg after leg.

At least the teams are all generally worth watching, especially the doctor looking at the camera whenever his date from hell starts complaining.

yeah there is a reason that each episode the order seems totally random, it is hard to say which teams are really the strongest so far, my guess is the Olympians too

Also was annoyed that NKOTB got knocked out because they picked the wrong counter to go to at the airport, there got to the airport before a lot of teams, but after the first flight filled up, they picked the wrong airline to go to at first and for 2 legs had zero chance to catch up.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Put me in the camp that does not like this season. Its not the teams; its all the added crap, generally poor challenges, and a complete lack of any suspense in any episode.

First, the added crap. As someone who does not partake in vine, instagram, snapchat, etc, I don't get it for this show. This show was filmed months ago. Were the selfies released at that time? That would seem spoiler-ish. Can they even release them when the show airs to make it look like they are racing in real time? That also seems dumb.

Then the whole dating thing is a fail. They keep ramming it down our throats when its obvious there is a slim chance of maybe one match. It just feels so poorly wedged into each episode. If they want to create drama, do a season where every pair are strangers and have opposing beliefs and lifestyles.

Then there's the "challenges" that require almost nothing or seem forced. I didn't get the singing thing. They didn't have to memorize the words because they had notes in front of them. They didn't seem to have to sing well since some folks were horrible each time. It was just an excuse to fail them once so we get to laugh at the water to the face, then pass them the second time to get the misery over with. Also, drive in reverse going about two miles per hour? It just all seemed like it was about a)throwing water at people and b)advertising the reverse camera stuff.

Then in every episode there is one team obviously hours behind with no chance of surviving. Yet we have to put up with the editing to make it seem like there is a chance.

Sorry, rant over. It just feels like a once great show is trying to get itself canceled. I hope this is just a bump in the road.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
That was bad. This gimmick is bad. This season is bad.

Laura & Tyler are so obviously winning I can't even believe it. They've been the only team to have their pictures shown in each episode, several episodes having only their picture and no other team's. Oh yeah, the selfies are bad too.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
There was one thing I enjoyed about this episode - how much fun most of the teams were having. There wasn't a big flip out about forgetting the passports in the other car, they just hung out and made fun of Hayley. Other teams didn't know how to drive stick but they pushed through and made it work while laughing about it.They aren't going to win, but I hope the truckers at least make it to the finale. They are what every team should be.

Hayley is an idiot but at least she's amusing (because we aren't there with her), and the doctor can bond with everyone else over how terrible she is. The one gay guy (Bergen? I'm not sure which one is which) was infuriating because he just didn't give a poo poo about anyone or anything that didn't serve his purpose. What a spoiled prick.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The teams seem to be having fun the last couple of seasons in general. I don't remember any constantly complaining teams in too many of the recent seasons, though I'm sure there were a few (I don't think they got too far, though)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SteveVizsla posted:

There was one thing I enjoyed about this episode - how much fun most of the teams were having. There wasn't a big flip out about forgetting the passports in the other car, they just hung out and made fun of Hayley. Other teams didn't know how to drive stick but they pushed through and made it work while laughing about it.They aren't going to win, but I hope the truckers at least make it to the finale. They are what every team should be.

Hayley is an idiot but at least she's amusing (because we aren't there with her), and the doctor can bond with everyone else over how terrible she is. The one gay guy (Bergen? I'm not sure which one is which) was infuriating because he just didn't give a poo poo about anyone or anything that didn't serve his purpose. What a spoiled prick.

Kurt was the lovely one and I agree. He's way more frustrating than Hayley because he just doesn't care about the Race at all. If nothing else, Hayley wants to win.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Of course they have fat people clothes ready for the truckers, rather than something nicer.

Mr Doctor looks drat good in that suit.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

LMAO they're dressed all fancy in Monaco and they have to drive around loving Ford Fiestas

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Cant believe they blurred the statue's naughty bits.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Well great, the only blind date team that might possibly hook up has been eliminated. Enjoyable overall, but the gimmick is a failure.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

Well great, the only blind date team that might possibly hook up has been eliminated. Enjoyable overall, but the gimmick is a failure.

This (sad, lonely) thread is almost uniformly against the gimmick, but I and those I watch with are enjoying it. I value the opportunity to view how contestants interact when racing with total strangers. In that regard it hasn't disappointing at all: the blind teams range from absolute derision (Team Rx) to effervescent playfulness (Team SoCal). The intra-team social interaction is way more dynamic this season than in seasons previous, and I think it's absolutely a successful change.

Of course, it's weighed down by the pit stop interviews, which have been the worst in recent memory. Between Phil's nagging and the admittedly poor tasks I am also finding this season to be weaker than most. But I can't blame the blind dates for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I do like the "racing with strangers" gimmick, and I wouldn't mind seeing seeing another round with something like that. They're just trying to push the "love" gimmick too much, and almost none of the racers are buying it.

I was tripped up with the editing this week. I fully expected the perfume makers to be the last ones on the mat.

2 hour episode next week. And they go to Africa.

• Locked thread