Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My girlfriend forces me to watch this and every second green team is on screen is like nails on chalkboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Using an express pass on a challenge where you literally stand in a cage and feed an animal is hilariously dumb.

Also, the paparazzi guy is obviously closeted.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Did they tape this before or after the Cecil the Lion incident?

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Using an express pass on a challenge where you literally stand in a cage and feed an animal is hilariously dumb.

Also, the paparazzi guy is obviously closeted.

They didn't have a choice. They had to use the express pass in the leg they were given it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Illuen posted:

They didn't have a choice. They had to use the express pass in the leg they were given it.

Oops. I missed that part.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Holy lol at the paparazzi guy holding out on the donation box at the orphanage until Phil shamed him.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Holy lol at the paparazzi guy holding out on the donation box at the orphanage until Phil shamed him.

That and his tantrum was the best part of the ep. Actually glad they survived so we may get more of it in the future.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hahaha "here you goooooooo...." with his hand clenched tight to obscure his cheapness.

They're really doing nothing to sway the opinion of paparazzi being absurdly lovely people

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
At first I was really frustrated by what appeared to be a railroad leg - wait in line for jump, wait in line for croc tank, then wait in line for lion walk. These teams surprised me by shaking up the order twice, both times by misunderstanding/misreading the clue.

An otherwise terrible leg made fantastic.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Yeah, this would have been a far more boring leg if the teams hadn't hosed up by misreading the clue or rushing off instantly. It was at least a little exciting having all the teams effectively right on top of each other, but the tasks didn't allow for any really shuffling.

The paparazzi team is scum.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Why didn't green team get uturned when the cheerleaders chose them? Or is that the next leg?

I had to laugh at team texas not understanding that rowing together is a thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Gunslinger posted:

Why didn't green team get uturned when the cheerleaders chose them? Or is that the next leg?

That was the U-Turn before the pit-stop. The cheerleaders were the last team to arrive and their U-Turn was pointless.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

U-turns only affect teams behind you. When they reach the board and see that they've been u-turned they have to go do the other side of the detour before continuing.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
A team can still only u-turn one time in a race right? So the cheerleaders using the uturn when they knew they were last was ridiculous.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Baddog posted:

A team can still only u-turn one time in a race right? So the cheerleaders using the uturn when they knew they were last was ridiculous.

Maybe they thought there were other teams behind them? They knew they were last out of the painting challenge, but the green team was doing the other side of the detour, so, it could make sense?

The Gunslinger posted:

That was funny.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Do the contestants break for lunch during the day? I assume they eat in the morning before they are 'released' to start, and after they win, but is there a 'time out' mid-day?

What if someone has to go to the can?

Do the all stay in the same hotel? Do they eat together, with the crew?

Are they given a fixed amount of cash per leg? I never noticed in past seasons the deal with cash, and having amounts 'left'.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Do the contestants break for lunch during the day? I assume they eat in the morning before they are 'released' to start, and after they win, but is there a 'time out' mid-day?

nope. you just keep going. eat when you can. usually while waiting for a plane/bus/whatever

PowerBuilder3 posted:

What if someone has to go to the can?

usually you just hold it or go at an opportune time or if you're one particularly idiotic team from several years ago, you look for a bathroom immediately before you check in at the pitstop, take too long, and get eliminated as a result :laffo:

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Do the all stay in the same hotel?

yeah usually but this is largely unshown

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Do they eat together, with the crew?

I think they avoid this so that there's no risk of bias from the crew

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Are they given a fixed amount of cash per leg? I never noticed in past seasons the deal with cash, and having amounts 'left'.

yeah you get x amount per leg and it usually rolls over

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

In the interviews I have seen, they say that they are pretty much sleep deprived and starving the whole time, not wanting to spend too much money on food.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Eltoasto posted:

In the interviews I have seen, they say that they are pretty much sleep deprived and starving the whole time, not wanting to spend too much money on food.

I like how they usually say they have X amount of dollars for this leg of the race.

Cabs can be expensive.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!
I've also wondered about money exchange, which is something that presumably happens but is almost never shown. It's not like taxis everywhere will accept US dollars.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

R to the J posted:

I've also wondered about money exchange, which is something that presumably happens but is almost never shown. It's not like taxis everywhere will accept US dollars.

Outside of EU/Australia/other developed countries, they very often do.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

there was an episode in Vietnam several years ago where they gave them their money in Vietnamese dong (lol) instead of dollars for some sort of legal reason.

Also anytime they go to Vietnam they use yellow and silver or yellow and white markers rather than the normal yellow and red because apparently the yellow and red reminds people of the former flag of South Vietnam

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

also I assume they convert cash right after they go through customs, which we also never see

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!
Often, though not always. I think we've seen contestants asks taxis if they take dollars in the past and sometimes they've said no. But that does raise the larger point that it might not be worth it to exchange money in the first place. So when do you do it, where do you do it, and how much do you change? I realize that's probably boring to watch, but I wonder what strategy the racers use, if any.

Edit: But airports give you the worst rates! I know, time is an issue...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

R to the J posted:

Edit: But airports give you the worst rates!

if you're worrying about this you will not win the race

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Also the taxis in Moscow take all money, and by that I mean they simply take all your money. One season a team was charged a ridiculous amount. And if you can't pay then gently caress you, camera crew or not.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

R to the J posted:

It's not like taxis everywhere will accept US dollars.

I think that came up this season.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Is this the first season where a team was penalized because the non-competing person at the roadblock helped their teammate? From years of watching I could tell it was obviously a rule, but I've never seen any one get called for it before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GuavaMoment posted:

Is this the first season where a team was penalized because the non-competing person at the roadblock helped their teammate? From years of watching I could tell it was obviously a rule, but I've never seen any one get called for it before.

I've always wondered what the exact rules were on it. A lot of the roadblock challenges seem to separate the teammates enough that they can't really help; but I guess it makes sense that if one person is doing the challenge, the other can't assist.

3peat
May 6, 2010

In my country we have a stereotype about americans being stupid, and I swear this show is trying it's best to reinforce that stereotype to me. How the hell would none of them know the motto of the french revolution, which is like the most important event in the last 1000 years of human history? Even if they'd have a brain fart, how would they not remember it after seeing the first word? None of them even managed to pronounce those 3 words remotely right

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

3peat posted:

In my country we have a stereotype about americans being stupid, and I swear this show is trying it's best to reinforce that stereotype to me. How the hell would none of them know the motto of the french revolution, which is like the most important event in the last 1000 years of human history? Even if they'd have a brain fart, how would they not remember it after seeing the first word? None of them even managed to pronounce those 3 words remotely right

French Revolution as the most important event of the last millennia of history? I don't deny that it's significant...but why is it the most important?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, American independence beat the French revolution by several years, and massively influenced it. We actually sent people to help you guys with it, some of whom you managed to not murder.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
If I remember right, the French revolution influenced the governments of Europe, and also set in motion the Napoleon wars, and probably set the stage for WW1. The American independence influenced the French revolution, mostly by allowing the French to set up Democracy 2.0, from the lessons learned during the early development of the American government. Most important event of 1,000 years? Probably not (there's plenty of other contenders), but it's likely in the top 10.

The American independence had influence, but I don't think it was required for the French revolution to occur.

As for the racers not knowing the motto, it's understandable. The French revolution is barely taught in schools here, and it's mostly done in a "the American revolution totally caused the French to revolt later on" way. I had to laugh at the various terrible pronunciations of the words, though. There's no way I would have gotten it right either (French is a messed up language of silent letters), but I know I would have been closer than some of the racers.

I'm rather excited for the double leg. Those are fun. The tasks are still fairly easy, but double legs are the sort of thing that makes easy looking tasks impossible.

I wonder if there's going to be an elimination during the rapping task for the Alabama team. Also, anyone have a translation of the lyrics? I wonder if they're keeping the subtitles in French cause the lyrics are "bad".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

How many of these racers even know the American motto off the top of their heads? I will accept either E Pluribus Unum or In God We Trust.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

3peat posted:

The teams are:

-Two bros from Texas
-Two hicks from Alabama
-Two cheerleaders
-Two idiots whose entire professional life is devoted to taking pictures of Kim Kardashian
-Two doctors who, I'll grant you, have been to France before and as doctors you would hope would be smart but Rick has perhaps the single dumbest face I've ever seen
-Two news anchors who've got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye
and an engaged couple who seem fine but not particularly worldly.

If you think this group of people is representative of Americans on the whole then its you who's the stupid one

Also seriously the French revolution being the most important event of the last millennium :lol:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I cannot stand how the news anchor guy never ever turns off the news anchor voice. I wonder if he's defaulting to it because he's on camera or if he really talks like that all the time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rick is basically Ken Jeong

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
Watching the Green team guy rap made me think of the 'Sweet Dee is Dating a Retarded Person' episode of Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Rockzilla posted:

Watching the Green team guy rap made me think of the 'Sweet Dee is Dating a Retarded Person' episode of Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

So that's who he reminds me of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Ok that ship simulator was cool and I wanna play.

I'm not sorry to see the dentists go. You have to wonder if that's the first time they've actually used public transportation.

• Locked thread