Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Oh, my family have been around here for centuries, really. Parish records have us back to at least the 1500s and while it gets spotty after that we have been here since before the Conquest, maybe even before the Romans. How do I know? Well, a combination of private archives, some DNA sequencing on old bodies, and the oral history. It's easier to maintain that kind of unbroken chain of descent with dragons, of course.

Oh, don't look so shocked. You came here looking for something, didn't you? Was it the strange carvings in the church that tipped you off? Discrepancies in the accounts of the origin of the ballad? Those conveniently and selectively destroyed historical documents? Well, you don't have to say. It won't really matter. You'll have to sign a non-disclosure agreement before you leave anyway, so do you have any questions for me?

How many of us are there? I presume you mean dragons, not just family members? One per generation, essentially. There were twins once who both got the blood but one of them...didn't quite work out. That's where the legend comes from, of course - the poor simple lizard killed with a boot to the arse. Not our finest hour.

Why am I going to St. Andrews and not some posh public school? Uhh, because my dad is an IT guy and not a merchant banker? Living above our means would attract attention, and that brings curious investigators and then some complete twat with a sword shows up yelling about virgins. Besides, all my friends go here. The Catholic thing doesn't really bother me, when my family bother going to church at all we tend to go in for pomp and ceremony above actual religious content.

Am I going to...eat you? Hahaha, no. Not personally. I don't have the taste for human flesh yet. Grandad will do the actual eating. Oh, don't cry. We feed you a thing that makes you sleep first. If it's any consolation I think you were very good to get this far.

No, I don't think that would comfort me either.

quote:

Donna Wharncliffe, The Wyrm

Look: Collected, Unblinking Eyes.

Origin: In your blood

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Your Backstory
Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.” If they're treasure, describe the moment they caught your eye, and give them a String. If they're merely currency, take a String on them. Read them this: "Describe something off-putting that I said to you."

Wyrm Moves
You get these two, then choose one:

Bargaining Ceremony Drinking tea, sharing a cigarette, playing chess, or sitting back to back are all ceremonies.
When negotiating a bargain during a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain. This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves. When you're both satisfied,
the exchange occurs.

The Bait
You have a collection of antique jewellery. When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy. They will mark experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours. Also, choose one: they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them; the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Scales
Once per session, you can transform into a terrifying beast of talons and coils. Give yourself the Condition
secretly vulnerable. While transformed, you can roll to lash out physically with dark, except do as much harm as
you like. When the scene ends, you collapse back into your human form.

Jealous Coils
When anyone gets close to someone you covet and you act territorial, roll with dark. On a 10 up, both: they lose a String on your coveted, and you gain a String on your coveted. On a 7-9, gain a String on your coveted, and your
coveted chooses: they give you a Condition, you say something you'll regret.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, read them this: "Choose at least one thing from this list, and for each that you choose, describe something I learn about you from our intimacy: Give me a String on you, and take something from my collection. Give me a String on you, and take a String on me as well. Give me a String on you, and I'll promise you anything you'd like. Give me a String on you, and then give me a Condition."

Darkest Self
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague. You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure, let it
know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it – you do. You escape your Darkest Self when your
treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely, or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Advancement
Take another Wyrm move.
Take another Wyrm move.
Take a move from another Skin.
Take a move from another Skin.
You find some willing
Collection Curators.
Add 1 to Hot (max 3).
Add 1 to Cold (max 3).
Add 1 to Volatile (max 3).
Add 1 to Dark (max 3).

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ha-ha, my great-great-great-[etc.]-granddad chopped up your cousin :lol:

E: Actually drat, I should've worked the Dragon of Wantley into my backstory, but I'm not up on my British dragon-lore and I like the idea of being the new girl in town a lot. I can change it if enough people think it's a good idea, though.

Hey, nothing says one of your ancestors couldn't have been passing through, or got called in to deal with the poor sap. I like the idea of it basically being super embarrassing for everyone involved, and so the story doesn't get passed down properly.

Ferrosol posted:

Donna Wharncliffe the Wyrm
Q1: So you like to collect jewellery. It's nice to see an old-fashioned dragon in this day and age going back to the good old standbys of gold and jewels. Still who was the last person to try and steal something from you? and what did you do to them when you caught them?

Other than my older sister Liz 'borrowing' a couple of pieces to wear on a date with her horrible gawky sixth form boyfriend? Ugh, the thought of his greasy fingers on my pristine 16th century silver... That's not what you were asking about though. When we moved in to Sheffield proper one of the movers let a ring that belonged to me fall into his pocket, and walked out with it. I could feel it was missing, and I...followed the scent, I suppose. He tried to flog it off probably to buy smack with, but the jeweler wouldn't give him enough. I caught up with him at the Blonk Street bridge, and because there was no-one else around I confronted him. He tried to laugh me off, then he tried to hit me, and we ended up in the river. I don't really know or care what happened to him after that, but I got out with the ring. It wasn't even valuable - gold plated, with a little garnet in it, used to belong to a silent film actress - but it was mine and I don't let my things go missing.

I got Liz back by telling her that the love of her life was cheating on her with one of her mates. And then I spent the afternoon polishing my poor silver.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Q2: So how much do your family know about the dragon thing anyway? Are any of them jealous that you are your grandfather’s successor?

Well, there's family and family isn't there? Grandad knows that I'm the new 'hatchling' (and can be a proper jealous twat about it on his own, believe you me), Great-Gran Mary is the other member of the family who is, uh, fully informed, but she doesn't come out in public much anymore. Too hard to look human. Because I'm new it's harder for me to be a dragon than a human, but that's going to change as I get older. My parents know that the olds have picked me to be some kind of successor, but they don't know everything. Liz is perpetually jealous of me but that's more because I'm smarter and better looking and I don't have to go around with gross rugby players to look cool than because she knows anything. To be honest there isn't that much to know about the whole thing - about once a generation one of us finds out they can turn into a giant scaled monster and loves to collect...things. People. Land. Secrets. I love my jewellery but hoarding pretty much anything valuable is kind of a compulsion with us. That's one of the reasons we tend not to get along, I think. Eventually we butt heads over territory and resources and from what Great-Gran says we don't back down. That's why there aren't many of us.

That and the sustained efforts of certain humans to wipe us out over the years. We don't help each other against mobs or knights or atomic testing, we just laugh and gather whatever is left of the losers hoard. Kind of depressing. As soon as I'm old enough to fend for myself (which could be tomorrow, or in fifty years, who even knows?) Grandad is probably going to try and drive me away from Mum and Dad, and Sheffield in general. Maybe he'll win, maybe I will. If the loser survives I think they get go hid in a cave for while? Maybe that's just tradition. I don't know why Great-Gran is less obnoxious than Grandad, maybe she's just better at hiding it. I only see her at Christmas anyway, or when I can be bothered hiking all the way out to the cave, which is basically never now that I've got school. She's nice, in a giant predatory way. Like cross your favorite grandma with a crocodile and a blast furnace.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Q3: Man that must be pretty rough knowing your own family will turn on you like that. Let’s talk about something a little more cheerful. Which item in your hoard is the most valuable to you? And what embarrassing thing did you have to do to acquire it?

Ahh, it's not all that bad. Everyone fights with their family sooner or later, we just play for keeps. And it's not like even if I get driven off I won't be able to talk to Mum and Dad - Grandad's sense of territory stopped developing before the telephone was invented, and he definitely doesn't understand Facebook. Great-Gran gets confused if you talk about anything newer than a steam engine, and even then she just can't understand why they replaced horses.

My best piece, and my favorite, is this one:

Anglo-Saxon, the sort of thing that got dug up at Sutton Hoo. It's a solid gold brooch, with the exception of the silver chasing and the gems. It is absolutely exquisite, when I hold it I can practically hear the old kings and princes who would have worn it. Probably worth about 10,000 pounds, and all I had to pay for it was my dignity. Collectors of old jewellery are a pretty insular bunch, they all know each other, and they don't like to talk to the authorities because anything really old and good 'belongs in a museum' or 'is stolen'. So when a new face (me) comes on the scene, is too young to be a plant from the Royal Society or whoever, and starts talking shop it turns out the anoraks start competing for attention. One old duffer thought I was the daughter he never had or something and insisted on taking me to tea and showing me his collection. Absolutely mortifying, especially when some of the girls from school saw me at a coffee shop with him and thought that he was creeping on me and called the police. The whole thing got cleaned up and he didn't go to prison or anything but his collection got confiscated. Except for the bits I kept, of course. Every now and again some smart bint likes to make jokes about me liking older men, which is not true, but if that's the price I pay for getting something ancient and beautiful, well...fine. I'll take it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Absolutely OK for Donna to be suspicious of Megan. Snobbery comes very naturally to dragons, even ones who are technically sort of middle class and immature.

quote:

Your Backstory
Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.” If they're treasure, describe the moment they caught your eye, and give them a String. If they're merely currency, take a String on them. Read them this: "Describe something off-putting that I said to you."

To be edited when permission is cleared up:

quote:

Blake Dunsmuir: Merely Currency. There's something off about Blake. What did I say to you?

Phillipa "Pippa" Lambton: Treasure. Pippa is really easy going and fun to be around, our dads work in similar industries (maybe the same company?) and her last name sounds really familiar.

Jessica Mallory: Treasure. I don't know what happened to her earlier in the year, but all of a sudden she's got most of the boys (and easily half the girls) drooling after her. That kind of power doesn't come cheap, and I want to know more about it.

Megan Brooks: Merely Currency, as well as being a grubby thief. What did I say to you?

Thomas ("Thom") Brody: Merely Currency. He's a pretty boy, I guess? What did I say to you?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Donna Wharncliffe: You helped me acquire a relic last semester, what was it? What tipped you off to my supernatural nature?

I honestly didn't think a medal would set off my, uh, hoarding instinct. Cheap metal, tattered cloth, owned only by one fairly ordinary old man who did one brave thing 60 years ago and then died in his sleep? But the value associated with it...the blood shed for it made it a potent talisman of sorts. Whatever the old man did for it clearly meant a lot not just to him but to someone powerful. Easy enough to find and get from the estate sale, the family had no idea what it was really worth. When I picked it up it made my head spin, I could hear the cry of an eagle and smell gun-smoke. When Blake came to take it from me I nearly blew up at him, I wanted time to research it and find out what power it held. But I saw something behind him, a pair of burning eyes hanging in the air. It shocked me and I let the medal go.

There is something strange going on with Blake, and it worries me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Donna could go in the monster hunting squad - other beasties are in her patch, so to speak - but if she knew about Pippa's calling she would be way more cagey around her. Basically if no-one else fits better.

Taking seat D1, in order to compromise between being close to the teacher (Donna can be an annoying swot at times) and having a good view. Staring grouchily over the landscape is an important skill for a young wyrm to cultivate, after all.

pre:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
1[    ][    ][Edward][Donna]
2[    ][    ][    ][    ]
3[Lily][    ][Richard][    ]
4[    ][    ][    ][Megan]
Edward Halliday, C1. Plays cricket, thinks he's a bit of a lad, fancies his chances with Donna. Has no chance with Donna.

Lily Rush, A3. Family are farmers, have quiet a big farm/orchard/cider brewery outside town. Big, strong and shy about it. Loves hockey.

Megan, Dark clouds are gathering. Be ready.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Megan, highlight cold.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

LifeGetsWorser posted:

thatbastardken, if you are agreeable to it, I would like to take a string on Donna, as I imagine she and Lydia have butted heads over wanting things before. Maybe they both wanted the same thing or person and Donna ended up caught in a Lydia Agenda without meaning to?

Sure thing.

Donna is probably only about 5'2", but she tends to stand up straight and look down her nose at people so she seems taller.

Felicia Kelly - Treasure. I am embarrassingly infatuated with Felicia. I don't really remember how or why it happened, but she's just so...perfect. A gem of the finest water, as they used to say. I want to lock her away somewhere and keep her all to myself forever. Gain a string on Donna.

Lydia Cinctus - Treasure. Lydia came to my attention with the way she handled the little problem she had with Simon Browne. Subtle, but effective. Acting on her own initiative. Potentially a big problem, but I admire that. Gain a string on Donna

Jay Parker - Merely Currency. Please describe something off-putting Donna has said to you. Donna gains a string on you

Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau - Merely Currency. Please describe something off-putting Donna has said to you. Donna gains a string on you

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jessica highlights Dark. Sorry, couldn't think of a pun.

• Locked thread