Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau, the Angel

Jude 1:6 posted:

And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.

There’s not much about fallen angels in the Bible. They’re mostly there to scare people straight – if God was willing to punish his own servants for eternity, think about what he’d do to you, etcetera etc. Of course, they left out the bit about how we came down to help people, to teach them the arts and sciences so that they could be more than slaves toiling in the dirt. And they left out the part about how we ended up as humans ourselves, passing our memories down the generations, taking the slow road to the Last Judgment. Everlasting chains indeed.

I think. It was a long time ago, and the memories get more jumbled and blurry with each new birth. But the voice, the light, the fire in that furthest corner of our brain that burns with every sin, that remains. We do our good deeds in the vain hope of calming that fire, of recalling the smallest glimpse of heaven. Sometimes, it even works.

My name is Elizabeth Lau. My parents are from Hong Kong and moved here shortly before independence in 1997, before I was born. So no, I’m not an immigrant, technically. You can tick the other boxes off on your bingo cards if you want though: I’m an only child, I'm bad at sports, I play violin and piano and sing in the choir and, yes, I want to go to medical school. I want to help people.

Of course, that’s what got us into this mess. Sometimes, I wonder why I bother. Every day, more people realise they can do just fine without heaven. Can’t I be one of them? Isn’t it enough to be Lizzie, and a good person, without having to redeem a sin so old it might not have even happened?

You can’t answer that, can you?

quote:

Name: Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau
Skin: The Angel
Look: Tentative, beautiful eyes
Origin: On the path to redemption

Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Trespass 0, Forgiveness 0

Moves:
Cast from Heaven:
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead. Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass. If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Halo:
When you turn someone on, roll with Forgiveness.

Gaze into Heaven:
When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of the lord, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.
When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what the lord fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered the lord.

Backstory:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Done, ready for questions.

Gato fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

Elizabeth

Q1: So you're an Angel huh, Did you get to choose where you were reincarnated as this time? Or is it one of those "God works in mysterious ways." kind of deals? If you chose why here, why now? If the Lord chose did he give you any hint of what He expects from you this time?

I don't know if we get a choice. We don't keep many memories between lives, and I don't really know who my predecessor was. From what I have, I know that he was Chinese. He fought in the Civil War in the 30s, then he moved to Hong Kong where he must have lived for the rest of his life. If he made a choice when he died, I don't remember it. Maybe it's in God's hands.

So I can't tell you why I'm here in Sheffield now. If there's anything special about this place, I haven't worked it out yet. There's nothing special about me - Lizzie, that is. All I know is that the Lord wants me to live a righteous life, and He won't let me forget it. When I falter, I see flashes of other sins I've committed in other lives - opium dens, battlefields, prisons. They all gave up on Him, eventually. I think He's challenging me to do better than they did. Than I did. I don't think I've ever been a doctor, so that has to be worth a try. And certainly, everything's gone pretty well so far - school, volunteering, work experience... I don't know if it's what He wants, but He doesn't seem to be objecting.

quote:

Q2: Still it can't be easy to stick to all those rules. Tell me what happened the last time you sinned and how you atoned for it.

To be honest, it doesn't really feel like rules, so much as...standards, I guess? Drinking is fine, as long as I don't get too drunk which doesn't take much, admittedly, but still. I felt so guilty and ashamed for weeks after I snuck out and got my ears pierced, but I think that was more because I disobeyed my parents? On the other hand, I got so scared I was almost sick when I looked at a set of Tarot cards, so witchcraft is right out I suppose. It doesn't always make sense.

I'm lucky so far in that I've never been seriously tempted to do wrong, to myself or anyone else. It's having to always do right, every day without a break, that's harder. I used to go visit this old lady, Miss Cooper, on the weekends. She lived in this little council flat she kept absolutely immaculate and, well, it was tough. She was getting more and more confused by the end and it was so hard to talk to her when all I wanted was to be sleeping in on a Saturday morning so I started putting it off and, God, it was terrible. The guilt was eating me up when I came back to her flat a couple of weeks ago only for her neighbour to tell me she'd died a few days before. She'd died alone, thinking nobody cared about her, because I'd been lazy.

How do you atone for something like that? I brought flowers to her grave a couple of days ago. I've been praying for her a lot, which is something I don't do normally. I used to feel smug when she talked about God, like I knew so much more than she did and now...I don't know. I pray she rests in peace. What else can I do?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

code:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
1[Vanessa][Jayson][Edward ][Donna  ]
2[Sarah  ][Pippa ][Jessica][Darcy  ]
3[Lily   ][Elise ][Richard][Thom   ]
4[Troy   ][Andy  ][Blake  ][Megan  ]
5[Ian    ][Lydia ][Lizzie ][Felicia] 
6[       ][      ][Nadifa ][Charles]
Lizzie will sit with Felicia in what passes for a front row, of course.

Charles Marshall is a rich, dumb, racist bully. He was such a dickhead to Felicia that time at lunch, so of course he's ended up sitting behind her. Fantastic.

quote:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Donna has everything - she's rich, she's successful, she's got half the school wrapped around her little finger, including the teachers. I don't know if she's ever done anything nice for anyone in her life. You can tell by the way she looks at people, so cold and calculating and...ugh. Why do good things happen to bad people?

quote:

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Felicia is…where do I start? She’s really, really, actually nice and she’s a good friend and all but God, she doesn’t make it easy. She’s so… judgmental! There’s more to being good than following rules! …isn’t there?
…am I like that?

Gato fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 7, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau - Merely Currency. Please describe something off-putting Donna has said to you. Donna gains a string on you

I've complained about Donna already, haven't I?Anyway, there was this time I tried wearing a cross, to see if I felt any...I don't know, closer to God or something? I kept seeing Donna glancing at it whenever we passed in the corridor. Then after school, she just plants herself in my way and stares at my neck. So I ask her if she likes the cross, and she called it, I quote, a 'cheap piece of brass!' I mean, she was right, but...not everyone's got a treasure chest filled with absolutely gorgeous jewelry! I didn't wear the cross again though.

(thebastardken, I hope you don't mind if I use Donna for the other half of my backstory, she seems like the sort of person Lizzie would instantly dislike...)

quote:

heights

Lizzie is about 5' 2-3", and will probably top out a couple of inches taller. Taller than average for a Cantonese person, but she's not going to be towering over anyone.

Gato fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 7, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Lydia, I'm sure we'd all love to see your Dark side.

• Locked thread