Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
im not even sure i understand how u can get so many units without cheating or killing the other guy beforehand

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
How the hell did Tycho Brahe make it into Civ 4.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just look at how "tactical" that map is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Civ Online is going to be really, really funny to read about, I am guessing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

if you prefer stacks you are a pedophile.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
You know I'm all about those tiles, no stacking

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 26, 2015

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I like Advance Wars.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Schnedwob posted:

I like Advance Wars.

they should make an advance wars for the 3ds

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

what do you mean.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

what do you mean.

The Cuck Meme

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

rediscover posted:

they should make an advance wars for the 3ds

Definitely. I'd even be happy with a remake of the original with 3D models instead of sprites

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
civ4 was better the only thing civ5 has going for it is hex

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hex? Yes please!
\

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Doctor Goat posted:

Is it really that surprising that they'd throw in an easter-egg reference to a well-known gaming personality?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

El Wombato posted:

Is it really that surprising that they'd throw in an easter-egg reference to a well-known gaming personality?

I, but he. It.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer Jr.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yolomancer Jr.
Yoloprentice

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stacks are bad, but so is 1 per tile... wish they'd just let u roll little squads of 6 together or something.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

Stacks are bad, but so is 1 per tile... wish they'd just let u roll little squads of 6 together or something.

isn't a unit already a squad in some cases?

I think they should just make it less of a pain in the rear end to move them around, like if they haven't been damaged by a unit this turn, let them be swapped with another unit even if it already moved

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

It would be cool if you could merge different unit types into a single army, they way you could in Civ3 (even though that was poorly implemented) and have the different unit types affect the battle.

IE you merge spearmen (100% attack vs mounted) and archers into an army. The enemy attacks with a horseman (100% vs archers). The spearmen protect the archers and counter the horseman.
If teh enemy attacks with an army of axemen (100% vs melee units) and horsemen, then the axes counter the spears and the horses counter the archers. Or whatever. Something like that. Idk.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like you could make an untouchable unit that way

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Not letting workers stack in Civ5 is one of the most boneheaded design choices I've ever seen in a game.

Soral
May 30, 2009

hex grid: good
carpet: bad

square grid: bad
stacking: bad

verdict: civ V is the best civ game

Soral
May 30, 2009

actually, it's probably not

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Fungah! posted:

Hex? Yes please!
\

good mapgamer user name

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

That's a little thing called "tactics", retard. Try reading some Sun Tzu.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
It's actually kind of impressive how every single major change from Civ4 to Civ5 was a step backwards.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Thug Lessons posted:

It's actually kind of impressive how every single major change from Civ4 to Civ5 was a step backwards.

I like hexes.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Too bad about everything else though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone who has ever worked on a Civ game is out making their own games now like At The Gates and Offworld Trading Company that are just horrible and bad if you don't play them online. Can Civ developers please stop making multiplayer games that everyone thinks should be played singleplayer. Thanks.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I like hexes.

It screwed up a few things that worked really well in older Civ games like city radius and didn't add much in return.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
""Oh man, I've got so many soldiers in my army that they literally cover the continent" <-- this is why 1 per tile is freaking retarded

Hexes are cool though.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE9b3IdTCiY

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCykB4mCytE

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

F

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
F

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Stacks are fine it's the only way to manage a poo poo load of units which is what you will have in a game like Civ at the end game.

Borsche69 posted:

It would be cool if you could merge different unit types into a single army, they way you could in Civ3 (even though that was poorly implemented) and have the different unit types affect the battle.

IE you merge spearmen (100% attack vs mounted) and archers into an army. The enemy attacks with a horseman (100% vs archers). The spearmen protect the archers and counter the horseman.
If teh enemy attacks with an army of axemen (100% vs melee units) and horsemen, then the axes counter the spears and the horses counter the archers. Or whatever. Something like that. Idk.

The concept of an "Army" could be interesting, but really it's not that much different then a stack except that the attackers would have an advantage instead of defenders.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RIP. Technology quote man Nimoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

• Locked thread