Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDFolSymws

i will be buying DKC1, 2 and 3 and replaying all of them. they are some of my favorite games ever, and DKC2 is arguably one of the best games of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really enjoy DCK2. Animal Antics is the hardest level. The first one is also good. I am not the biggest fan of DKC3, however, which felt a bit stale.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have the original carts which are currently contained within reinforced plastic cases that resemble their original retail box. They are treasure

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

donkey kong country 2 with the wii u pro controller. this is living

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The helicopter spin and other slow descent mechanics for platformers is one of my favorite things about that era.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm really bad at Tropical Freeze because I keep expecting the handling to be just like the DKC games. They really do handle pretty perfectly.

3 is a mess of pastel colors, too-big-sprites, and one-shot gimmicks, but still manages to be decent half the time

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
The donkey kong country games are terrible.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Squeezy Farm posted:

No.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Squeezy Farm posted:

GTFO.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

who is your favorite DK animal companion? i think i am going to go with enguarde, since he is in most of the games and his levels are pretty chill, with relaxing music.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i wish DK64 were available somewhere not on its original cartridge.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Squeezy Farm posted:

They defined the 90's just like all the other games that Rare created.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
All the characters in donkey kong country look like they're made of turds and the platforming is slow paced and clunky.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Squeezy Farm posted:

the platforming is slow paced and clunky.

Literally the opposite

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

who is your favorite DK animal companion? i think i am going to go with enguarde, since he is in most of the games and his levels are pretty chill, with relaxing music.

I like the spider guy with rad 90s sneaks on each leg

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

squitter is cool, but his levels, like web woods, are frequently the more difficult ones.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Web Woods owns. Like Squitter is pretty op since he can create platforms in a platformer so the devs just ran with it and made a good level catering to that ability

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Web Woods almost made me give up DKC2 as a kid

Beating it was super cathartic... then I had to replay it like 10 times to get the DK coin from the pole at the end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Beating it was super cathartic... then I had to replay it like 10 times to get the DK coin from the pole at the end

That's right, it's one of those levels! I think the other one was in the swamp somewhere.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

web woods owns and the music was sex. would commonly replay it for fun

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Bramble Blast's music relaxes me so much i find the levels to be easy and fun

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah, i like the ghost woods music.

a lot of the songs in donkey kong country 2 were great and catchy. for example: all of them were that!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

a lot of the songs in donkey kong country 2 were great and catchy. for example: all of them were that!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

all the music in all the DK games even 64 and 3 was really good, the new ones have awesome music too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bicyclops posted:

:hfive: the only level i remember being really bad at was the snake rise level.

DKC3 was pretty drat good too, i dont get why it gets a lot of hate. babby kong was kinda stupid but, but dixie still owns and it's prolly about 80% as good as dkc2.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

probably rambi, but most of them are good (gently caress you expresso and that dumb elephant in DKC3 that's not rambi)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDFolSymws

i will be buying DKC1, 2 and 3 and replaying all of them. they are some of my favorite games ever, and DKC2 is arguably one of the best games of all time

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've never played DKC 2 past the first two levels or so, and I just bought this.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Contest Winner posted:

I've never played DKC 2 past the first two levels or so, and I just bought this.

dkc2 is the best one. not including the dkcr games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dkc2 is the best classic dkc game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Reminder for those that like the music (which should be everybody)...

Did you know DKC3 on GBA had a completely different soundtrack done by David Wise because they couldn't figure out a technical solution to get the SNES music working on a GBA in time and it was faster for Wise to just write whole new tracks? Because it's a nice change of pace if you've played the game before.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Contest Winner posted:

You lucky lucky motherfucker

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Did you know DKC3 on GBA had a completely different soundtrack done by David Wise because they couldn't figure out a technical solution to get the SNES music working on a GBA in time and it was faster for Wise to just write whole new tracks? Because it's a nice change of pace if you've played the game before.
i know that the music for DKC3 on the SNES was composed by someone else, another reason why it's inferior to the previous two games (still good tho)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've been waiting for this. Never got a chance to pick them up for my SNES so ill probably play through the original games here.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Phantasium posted:

I believe they also added a new water world, and swapped some bosses around.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Xaris posted:

:hfive: the only level i remember being really bad at was the snake rise level.

DKC3 was pretty drat good too, i dont get why it gets a lot of hate. babby kong was kinda stupid but, but dixie still owns and it's prolly about 80% as good as dkc2.

Yeah at the time I remember a lot of people not liking it, but I replayed it about two years ago and it is really good. I think if it just kept Diddy and Dixie, along with the regular pirate theme/graphics then a lot of people would have liked it a lot more. From what I've gathered, a lot of people took issue with DKC 3 that it experimented a lot more with level gimmicks than previous titles, which I think is a-ok. There were varying levels of success but overall I still think it's refreshing and fun. I like DKC3 more than DKC1 tbh.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dkc3 gets a bad rap for "gimmicky" levels and having a more cartoony art style than the first two games. i prefer the art style in DKC1 and 2 but i like 3's as well

the gimmick levels are very hit-and-miss. the one with the rope on fire is good, but Lightning Lookout and the rocket level make me want to pull my hair out

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

I've been waiting for this. Never got a chance to pick them up for my SNES so ill probably play through the original games here.

Enjoy, Austrian mook. You are in for a gorilla good time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

to anyone getting to play DKC1 and 2 for the first time: im going to scoop out your brains, and replace mine with yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

to anyone getting to play DKC1 and 2 for the first time: im going to scoop out your brains, and replace mine with yours
I played DKC3 through when I was like 10 but haven't touched the series since. How much are they? All the old SNES stuff seems a little overpriced.

• Locked thread