Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've never seen it but I know iwa ms had a eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio vs Cm punk match back in the day that was pretty good. No idea if it holds up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

You don't think a técnico vs. técnico dream match would draw?

It'd sell out a venue, I don't think it would be some mega event though. It doesn't have the right dynamic. AAA would find some way to make hurt it too.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I don't know anywhere close to enough about Mexican wrestling culture or history to say for certain, but I thought the appeal of that match would be that it's two different generations of superstar flyers wrestling each other, and turning it into a técnico/rudo thing would dilute that if anything. I know Myzteziz was a rudo for a couple months in CMLL and it apparently got over pretty well before they inexplicably turned him back because CMLL though.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's a goddamn crime that Rey and Bryan only had a handful of throwaway tv matches.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Sanguinia posted:

His feuds with Eddy and Batista have been fodder for jokey jokes, but I'll always remember them fondly (well, maybe not the Dominic part...).

It should be said (and possibly even has been earlier in the thread) that the actual Custody of Dominic ladder Match was actually extremely good

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

it really doesn't matter if rey or mistico are face/heel or literally have no lower limbs anymore, there is lots of money to be made in that match and someone will make it happen

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Good for him. I enjoyed Rey most of his career and when I didn't it was usually due to how he was booked. I'll admit I was a little hard on him and wanted him to go away during his DOIN' IT FOR EDDIE run, but it still didn't deserve to be the shittiest run that ever shat.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I know the Eddie Tribute Act was bad, but Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble helped get me back into wrestling as a teenager. I bought Wrestlemania 22 pretty much only to see Rey win the world title, and even though the match was pretty drat fun, I'm still pissed Rey/Orton/Angle only got 9 minutes. I'm also still pissed how they booked his title run. Rey Mysterio is really drat cool WWE just really loved to poo poo on him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There was a window of a few years in the 90s where Rey was straight-up the best high-flyer in wrestling.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Rey Mysterio is an excellent wrestler who got straight up broken doing what he loved and it's a legitimate sad thing that his last run with the company was mainly marked by them throwing him to the wolves at a D-Bry lacking Royal Rumble.

Nerokerubina posted:

It should be said (and possibly even has been earlier in the thread) that the actual Custody of Dominic ladder Match was actually extremely good

Yea I'll never not laugh at that match as a concept but as a match it was an excellent ladder match. Like, if you show it to someone and don't say 'he's going for his son's custody' most wrestling fans would say 'yea, sweet rear end ladder match'. Same with his "I'M DOIN IT FOR EDDIE" thing, he had great moments there, it was just hamstrung by creative being terrible.

Basically the story of Rey's career, WWE legitimately didn't understand how to book a Luchador other than as a joke half the time.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
Thanks for posting those videos. Holy poo poo was he ever great. I mean I've seen a lot of his mid-90's work so I knew that already but it's just so obvious he was on a level above everyone else. In the WCW thread, someone posted a Observer quote that said Rey's knees were gone and he'd already had multiple surgeries and would need to wind down soon. From 1996. He was 21 years old in 1996.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

electric funeral posted:

Thanks for posting those videos. Holy poo poo was he ever great. I mean I've seen a lot of his mid-90's work so I knew that already but it's just so obvious he was on a level above everyone else. In the WCW thread, someone posted a Observer quote that said Rey's knees were gone and he'd already had multiple surgeries and would need to wind down soon. From 1996. He was 21 years old in 1996.

I've been watching a lot of these since I'm home sick. Sucks that WWE didn't take advantage of this great wrestler, but I hope he heals up and continues to be awesome.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

WWE legitimately didn't understand how to book a Luchador ANYONE other than as a joke half the time.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I started watching wrestling in 2006 and Mysterio was my first favorite wrestler. I was waiting for his awful World Champion title reign to turn around...and then for him to get another, real shot... :sigh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Rey Mysterio is a giant slayer and the greatest World Heavyweight Champion of all time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jesus christ, why would you do this? THIS MAN IS YOUR WORLD CHAMPION AND HE IS YOUR #2 MERCHANDISE SELLER AND YOU CHOSE TO SET HIM UP TO BE THE TORCH CARRIER FOR EDDY GUERRERO!

I get what the point of the angle was (because JBL was shoving down our throats every single second without a pause for air) but gently caress, YOU GAVE YOUR WORLD CHAMPION ZERO OFFENSE.

Thank god Rey is out of that hellhole. gently caress Vince.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Sanguinia posted:

Jesus christ, why would you do this? THIS MAN IS YOUR WORLD CHAMPION AND HE IS YOUR #2 MERCHANDISE SELLER AND YOU CHOSE TO SET HIM UP TO BE THE TORCH CARRIER FOR EDDY GUERRERO!

I get what the point of the angle was (because JBL was shoving down our throats every single second without a pause for air) but gently caress, YOU GAVE YOUR WORLD CHAMPION ZERO OFFENSE.

Yeah, but nobody would believe that Rey could beat [bigger guy]. That was literally Vince's train of thought through that entire reign.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

And of course Rey's run as champ is pointed at by the WWE as why they couldn't push someone smaller credibly as champion.

Because you know they had no control over it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cromulent posted:

Yeah, but nobody would believe that Rey could beat [bigger guy]. That was literally Vince's train of thought through that entire reign.

This is also why it was not Rey in the Donald Trump hair match. Nobody would believe Rey could beat Umaga and why would a billionaire hire a tiny luchador instead of a huge man like Bobby Lashley?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Sanguinia posted:

You forgot the part where this match was in SAN DIEGO, just to kill that market.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 1, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I will always laugh at the fact that WWE tried to push Great Khali, a man with barely functional legs, as a world champion.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
a 10+ year WWE run of consistently good to great matches and all people want to do is bitch about how the guy wasn't pushed enough smh

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Basically the story of Rey's career, WWE legitimately didn't understand how to book a Luchador other than as a joke half the time.

If its any consolation, it wasn't any better in WCW.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

And of course Rey's run as champ is pointed at by the WWE as why they couldn't push someone smaller credibly as champion.

Because you know they had no control over it.

People wouldn't believe a short champion, give the belt back to the MMA cowboy Zombie. Far more believable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spermgod posted:

a 10+ year WWE run of consistently good to great matches and all people want to do is bitch about how the guy wasn't pushed enough smh

if all that mattered was workrate then this would be the best era of WWE ever

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Alain Post posted:

if all that mattered was workrate then this would be the best era of WWE ever

nobody is saying all that matters is workrate

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spermgod posted:

in most cases you are totally right and that is certainly the way a lot of people think around here but with Rey its one of the worst cases of not getting behind someone who is a clear star and there is just no defending both his terrible whc and hour long wwe champ reign.

not that it would invalidate his great consistency, usefulness, and career but it's a glaring issue when you talk retrospectively

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cromulent posted:

Shiki Dan posted:

You forgot the part where this match was in SAN DIEGO, just to kill that market.

You know the worst part? About six months later Rey and Khali had ANOTHER match on Smackdown to help build toward Khali vs Batista in the Punjabi Prison match. Look at the difference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TotoWXwJzug

Spermgod posted:

There's a difference between typical PSP bitching about someone's push and acknowledging that it's obviously stupid, bad business and dumb booking to make a huge star look like a no-entrance squash jobber, especially while he's holding your god drat World Title. Hacksaw Jim Duggan got more offense in his last Royal Rumble joke entry than Rey got in that Khali match.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Why you guys watch this stuff you just complain about creative nonstop.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Because wrestling fans have battered wife person syndrome.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Rey's WWE career was tremendous both for his great matches and how much certain bad posters hated him.

I want names.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I had a real nasty argument with some guy named "KarmicStyleee" or something like that. He claimed Rey's matches with Jericho were "boring".

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

nobody actually watches wwe for the creative, its just there though and the main focus and ruins things

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I had a real nasty argument with some guy named "KarmicStyleee" or something like that. He claimed Rey's matches with Jericho were "boring".

This isn't good. What the gently caress?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What if you could recreate the feeling of being a 20th century Red Sox fan, forever? There's a great deal of pleasure to be found in communal garment-rending

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Basic Chunnel posted:

What if you could recreate the feeling of being a 20th century Red Sox fan, forever? There's a great deal of pleasure to be found in communal garment-rending

Agreed. Let's everyone tear off their clothes right now.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
ONS 2005
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35fdy_ecw-one-night-stand-2005-rey-myster_sport
Wore WWE Pants
ECW Music

ONS 2006
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8fkqg_ecw-one-night-stand-2006-rey-myster_sport
Wore ECW Pants
WWE Music

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Sanguinia posted:

There's a difference between typical PSP bitching about someone's push and acknowledging that it's obviously stupid, bad business and dumb booking to make a huge star look like a no-entrance squash jobber, especially while he's holding your god drat World Title. Hacksaw Jim Duggan got more offense in his last Royal Rumble joke entry than Rey got in that Khali match.

right but he had a 10+ year run in the company and i think if your main takeaway from that is "he wasn't used to his fullest potential" (despite having a better run than anyone else of his size ever had or could possibly have outside of Mexico) and not "he had a ton of really good matches" then it's kind of sad and like, do you even actually like wrestling or just Good Booking

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 2, 2015

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
at least in his WCW days it was a good thing for fans (if not for him) that he wasn't pushed because we probably got more enjoyment out of him wrestle rando midcard matches with psicosis or whoever than it would have been to watch rey and, like, buff bagwell work extended back and forth matches.

It's reasonable to wish a guy got more of a push if only for their long-term financial well being, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

right but he had a 10+ year run in the company and i think if your main takeaway from that is "he wasn't used to his fullest potential" (despite having a better run than anyone else of his size ever had or could possibly have outside of Mexico) and not "he had a ton of really good matches" then it's kind of sad and like, do you even actually like wrestling or just Good Booking

I kind of agree with this but then I think about what could have been and how they hurt two feuds with their weird mindset about mask matches and it makes me sad.

• Locked thread