Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Discuss that dress in this thread and nowhere else in PYF please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That dress is horrid regardless of colour

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
If you don't see blue and black in different lighting, your eyes are broken.

Tusen Takk posted:

:agreed:

lfield
May 10, 2008
My sister and her boyfriend are currently having a very loud argument about this loving thing.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah who gives a gently caress what color it is, poo poo is ugly.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I love this whole ordeal

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

the fact that anyone actually cares enough about a poo poo picture of a dress to actually get upset about it is hilarious

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ok but can it take off from a treadmill??

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This poo poo was literally on the news this morning.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I see it both ways and it's weird but I'm not gonna kill somebody about it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
My favorite bit about this is that it's an amazing example of a legitimately viral internet meme. There was no public event around it, no branding behind it, it's not sponsored, it's just some lady posted a dress she liked on the internet. Then someone said something like "nice blue-black/white-gold dress" and someone else said it was the opposite. Que a chain of people sharing it trying to see what their friends think.

This poo poo blew up so drat fast too.

Also no one at my job is getting anything done because everyone's just arguing about it and using various programs to justify their position.

(BTW: Team BLUE/BLACK for life!)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tusen Takk posted:

That photo is horrid regardless of subject or lighting.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So, this is the Self-Awareness test for the people of the internet?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is one dress the same as .999 repeating dresses???

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Tweak the brightness/contrast in any old image editor and you get colours much closer to the original.

I only saw it as white/gold earlier, but I'm sitting in a darker room now and the "white" appears a much deeper blue and the "gold" is closer to black. It's all to do with how your brain interprets the colour information (which is there, as you can see in the image above) depending on the ambient light levels and colour temperature. Or something.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I still only see white/gold but I am also not trying to see anything else

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

so, can someone explain what the deal is with this? I just ran into it, and its supposed to reveal you are crazy if its the wrong color or some poo poo?

fuckk, its just a rainbow

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

so, can someone explain what the deal is with this? I just ran into it, and its supposed to reveal you are crazy if its the wrong color or some poo poo?

fuckk, its just a rainbow

It's a wonderful example of how our perception shapes our Reality.

It's also a wonderful example of Self-Awareness.

*FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My favorite part is the first several posts are people talking about how they don't care.

I think the whole thing's a super cool look into the brain's internal white balancing abilities. It's really rad how our brains can change our perception without us even registering it. I wonder how many things there are like this without us realizing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I hate everyone who poo poo'd this like some pouty internet hipster. If you're too cool for it then make snarky parodies instead of making sure everyone knows how much of a whiny emo baby you are.

Edit: My favorite post about it, from a friend who became a high school teacher

quote:

Five minutes into class, someone utters the word "dress," and all hell breaks loose. I'm waving my arms, shouting. Total chaos. Complete anarchy. It takes the threat of a quiz in order to regain a semblance of command of the classroom.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hate everyone who poo poo'd this like some pouty internet hipster. If you're too cool for it then make snarky parodies instead of making sure everyone knows how much of a whiny emo baby you are.

Main reason it annoyed me was because people on FB are yammering about this and seem to care about it way goddamn more than ISIS destroying ancient Babylonian artifacts or beheading 21 Egyptian Christians or the government telling telecoms to gently caress themselves.

So it's not all Internet hipsterism

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Courtesy of every other thread on this forum for the last day

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
can someone please explain what the heck is going on

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Crain posted:

My favorite bit about this is that it's an amazing example of a legitimately viral internet meme. There was no public event around it, no branding behind it, it's not sponsored, it's just some lady posted a dress she liked on the internet. Then someone said something like "nice blue-black/white-gold dress" and someone else said it was the opposite. Que a chain of people sharing it trying to see what their friends think.

This poo poo blew up so drat fast too.

Also no one at my job is getting anything done because everyone's just arguing about it and using various programs to justify their position.

(BTW: Team BLUE/BLACK for life!)

It is literally the internet flu it infects almost everyone passes quickly causes little damage to regular people, but those under or over exposed to memes..

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Tusen Takk posted:

Main reason it annoyed me was because people on FB are yammering about this and seem to care about it way goddamn more than ISIS destroying ancient Babylonian artifacts or beheading 21 Egyptian Christians or the government telling telecoms to gently caress themselves.

So it's not all Internet hipsterism

I don't want to talk about book burning that literally nobody is surprised about. Who would have guessed that a violent military force fiercely driven by ideology would ever burn books. :jerkbag:

I do want to talk about why I'm right, how my Facebook friends are literally subhuman, and how I can thank this dress photo for finally revealing that.

Sincerely,
Everyone still posting about the dress.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rumda posted:

It is literally the internet flu it infects almost everyone passes quickly causes little damage to regular people, but those under or over exposed to memes..

:golfclap:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

coleman francis posted:

can someone please explain what the heck is going on

Lady took the shittiest picture in the world of a blue dress with black lace. The picture is so unbelievably garbage, some people's brains invent a explanation for why it looks so lovely, and in doing so unconsciously white-balances and color-corrects the image to fit that explanation, resulting in the viewer believing it is a picture of a white dress with gold lace. With some mental effort, the viewer could correct their brain's initial color-correction and like magic (or more precisely, like the optical illusion it is) see the dress for what it is: black, blue, and hideously unflattering.

edit: because she posted it on the internet, people also have to fight about it a lot

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Feb 27, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Huntersoninski posted:

I think the whole thing's a super cool look into the brain's internal white balancing abilities. It's really rad how our brains can change our perception without us even registering it. I wonder how many things there are like this without us realizing.

Exactly, do the people moaning think that it's the physical dress that's the talking point? I know everyone is posting about it and it can get run into the ground, but it's super interesting due to how divisive it is. You see it one way and cannot fathom how people are disagreeing with you.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly, do the people moaning think that it's the physical dress that's the talking point? I know everyone is posting about it and it can get run into the ground, but it's super interesting due to how divisive it is. You see it one way and cannot fathom how people are disagreeing with you.

Politics.txt

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm kind of curious to know the age ranges of the people whose brains do and don't take the image at face value. It may make no difference at all, but I kind of wonder if people who grew up familiar with, say, polaroids, whose brains are accustomed to, or at the very least somewhat experienced with, compensating for lovely exposure or faded photos, might be the ones seeing the white/gold initially, and those who are used to most photos they take being generally correct are the ones who take it at face value as blue/black.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
For those of you that are very boring; here's a storify of random celebrities reacting to the thing uploaded by Glasgow University

who're probably annoyed that no one is mentioning them

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think anybody thinks that the talking point is the dress.
Some people don't find the topic of unconscious light balancing interesting, which is fine.
Some of those people just move on without posting anything, some just ask "hey can we stop talking about that dress", and others go full :smug:mode with "Who cares it's a lovely dress anyway".

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm kind of curious to know the age ranges of the people whose brains do and don't take the image at face value. It may make no difference at all, but I kind of wonder if people who grew up familiar with, say, polaroids, whose brains are accustomed to, or at the very least somewhat experienced with, compensating for lovely exposure or faded photos, might be the ones seeing the white/gold initially, and those who are used to most photos they take being generally correct are the ones who take it at face value as blue/black.

My understanding is that if your brain assumes it's in a shadow that has some (possibly fluorescent) blue light, it corrects that and makes you think it's white. On the other hand, if your brain assumes (correctly) that there is an overabundance of yellow/orange light, it corrects that and makes you think it's blue.

It could possibly be an indicator of what kind of light (esp color temperature) you interact with more on a regular basis.

Ruzihm has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Feb 27, 2015

lfield
May 10, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

others go full :smug:mode with "Who cares it's a lovely dress anyway".

to be fair to those people, the dress is bad

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Ruzihm posted:

It could possibly be an indicator of what kind of light (esp color temperature) you interact with more on a regular basis.

Yeah I think you're right about that, or at least that makes more sense. It's hard to make a guess when it's your own eyes lying to you!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Huntersoninski posted:

At face value it's blue/gold, I have no idea how people are managing to get "black." I mean, I can tell it's a phenomenally lovely and overexposed photo and intellectually I can understand how it started out as black, but it's definitely not black at all in the finished picture (as opposed to the rest of the dress, which is definitely still blue and just gets reinterpreted as white.)

Like, observe these two very obviously black rectangles: and this Two of a kind, right?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Different screens and browsers can display pictures very differently. That could account for variations in perception as much as much as anything else.

edit: for me if I focus on the white/blue I can make my eyes see it as blue black, and if I focus on the gold/black, I can see gold and white. It's really interesting because it's so on the edge I can shift how my eye perceives it easily now, but it took a bit of staring.

powderific has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Feb 27, 2015

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
There is no dress. It is window drapes.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

At face value it's blue/gold, I have no idea how people are managing to get "black." I mean, I can tell it's a phenomenally lovely and overexposed photo and intellectually I can understand how it started out as black, but it's definitely not black at all in the finished picture (as opposed to the rest of the dress, which is definitely still blue and just gets reinterpreted as white.)

Like, observe these two very obviously black rectangles: and this Two of a kind, right?

Yeah, as a blueblack4lyfer, I totally agree that the pixels of the trim are not black. In fact, my very first impression of the dress was that it was blue & black/dark-brown.

Ruzihm has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
https://twitter.com/IanMcKellen/status/571363184163966977?cn=cmVjb3NfYmFja2ZpbGxfZGlnZXN0

• Locked thread