Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Answering or not doesn't even matter with a lot of marketing calls. All I get anymore are automated ones, with a 20 minute line of bullshit followed by a QTE where you always fail to find the button that takes you to a human being.

Which is my pet peeve. Being called by a goddamn robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
People who brush their teeth, then spit without aiming and get used toothpaste and spit on the faucet, and then don't loving clean it off.

People who wipe up a spill in the kitchen and then leave the wet towel on the counter so it stays damp and maybe starts growing mildew. Nevermind that, people who spill something purple all over the counter and use a nice hand towel to wipe it up instead of using a disposable paper towel as the Brawny Man intended.

The smell of A1 steak sauce. I don't care if you eat it, I'd just rather you'd eat it on the other side of the room.

People who never, ever put anything back where it belongs. Yes, you cleaned the picture window. Looks nice. You could've put the Windex back to the cupboard and put the stepstool back in the closet, though. While we're talking, where the gently caress are the kitchen shears, the only Phillips head screwdriver in the house that fits every doorknob screw, the scotch tape, the dog shampoo, that whole package of safety pins, the stapler and my comb? Speaking of, do I even want to know what you were using my comb for...?

When That Guy comes into my work space and wants to spend an hour bitching at me about That Woman we work with, when a) Dude, I have poo poo to do here and b) the things he's bitching about are things we've all done on occasion, including him. And c) shut up already, you petty little whining bastard.

Cat hair on my pillow case. I love my cat, and I can get up and change the pillow case, but it's hard to escape the feeling that I need to lint roll my face.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Pet peeve: being the only person in the house doing any cleaning, and then we have to have a big roommate sit-down because the house smells like garbage and "we've all been slacking". No, you guys are slacking. I'm the one who keeps doing dishes and taking out the compost so the kitchen doesn't reek of rotten soybeans.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

My friend is an extreme case of a person who never answers the phone. Last week she texted me to come over as she had an electrician coming to her house and she didn't want to be alone with a stranger. Fair enough, I head on over and we wait for him to arrive. Her phone starts ringing and she's standing there with it in her hand but won't answer it. 'It's probably the electrician' I tell her, as he's late and her house can be hard to find. She still refused to pick up, saying something like 'Well it might be him... But how can I be sure?' The electrician did eventually show up and said he had gotten lost and had tried calling as he desperately needed directions, my friend lied and said she never heard her phone ring.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

They know if it's a valid number or not by whether it even rings at all. If they're a legitimate company then you can ask them not to call back and they won't. If they're scammers then it doesn't really matter what you do since they'll probably call again

The people I have the most problems with are my schools alumni association. They are relentless. I have tried saying "they" moved and no longer use this number, had my mom tell them I passed away, anything I could think of. Nothing stops them. Every time I think maybe this call coming in at 930pm is an emergency, it is always those fuckers. I know not answering wont stop them, but its a lot easier for me to hit ignore call than get begged for money. They are trained to never take no for an answer. They start out asking for a big number, if you say no they cut it in half and so on forever. The longest i have lasted was until the "how about 5 bucks" when I hang up and swear off answering unknown nunbers for another month or two.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Stores (especially loving banks) where it's cheaper for them to have customers walk out due to hour long lines than open another loving till. It's payday Friday you assholes, OPEN a second window! But no, businesses are so frantic to keep payroll down they don't mind a line of 10 people.

We only have so many covered parking spots at work, and every few months one of the second shifters has this great idea to hold a potluck voting for one of the places. But everyone works such varied shifts that if you did win, someone else could use the spot still, and shifts overlap, and management isn't going to make someone stop working to move their car, so it's pointless. It's also something loving stupid, like chili contest, or a Only Red Food thing, or penguin-themed, and then everyone votes on the dish they like the best, and that person gets the space! Really?

Along those lines, company surveys and meetings where they want you to throw out ideas for team rewards BUT we can't get gift cards or a raise and we can't go any outside of work activities and again, since everyone works different schedules we can't do anything otherwise, oh, and we can't spend any money on even simple poo poo like pizza. So...what kind of reward do we get for being number 1 in the country again? A little plaque with a gold star? Along those lines my boss wants to do a team photo, but again, different schedules and work days, so his idea is for everyone to drive to the main base on a loving Saturday, show up by 8am, and do a few group pictures. And no, we won't get paid for it.

As for coldcalls, I've been getting poo poo from bloodbanks for over a year. But every time I check out their sites to donate, the nearest donation point is 20 miles away. They used to to a ton of events right by my house, or by the nearby stadium or outlet mall, but now everything's miles away and in a loving tiny church or a grade school cafeteria. Telling them NO doesn't work. Asking for them to bring back the old sites doesn't work. And they call at loving 9pm at night to set up blood donations appts! Some of us work in the early morning, rear end in a top hat!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's also something loving stupid, like chili contest, or a Only Red Food thing, or penguin-themed, and then everyone votes on the dish they like the best, and that person gets the space! Really?
What's the problem with that?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along those lines, company surveys and meetings where they want you to throw out ideas for team rewards BUT we can't get gift cards or a raise and we can't go any outside of work activities and again, since everyone works different schedules we can't do anything otherwise, oh, and we can't spend any money on even simple poo poo like pizza. So...what kind of reward do we get for being number 1 in the country again? A little plaque with a gold star?
You should make increasingly ridiculous (but cheap) suggestions, see how far you can push it. Maybe start with something like "winning team gets to (has to) wear paper crowns" or "members of winning team get an honorary title (Sir/Dame maybe?)".

Cowslips Warren posted:

As for coldcalls, I've been getting poo poo from bloodbanks for over a year. But every time I check out their sites to donate, the nearest donation point is 20 miles away. They used to to a ton of events right by my house, or by the nearby stadium or outlet mall, but now everything's miles away and in a loving tiny church or a grade school cafeteria. Telling them NO doesn't work. Asking for them to bring back the old sites doesn't work. And they call at loving 9pm at night to set up blood donations appts! Some of us work in the early morning, rear end in a top hat!
I assume you've probably tried already, but if you haven't then you could try explaining that there are no convenient locations and see if the person can get you removed from the calling list. There's probably a way they can flag a number to not get called, and they may be encouraged not to use it outside of specific circumstances, but chances are if you're nice to them they'll do it anyway because they're working in a call centre, so someone making your day less unpleasant trumps the rules every time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh well that changes everything. Except that no, every time I've answered a call from an unrecognized number that turned out to be a telemarketer and told them to pound sand, I've coincidentally gotten a ton of follow-up calls from other similar numbers in the weeks following the call. And when I don't answer unrecognized numbers from places like CALIFORNIA, USA, then I never have this issue.

Perhaps you worked for a reputable sales company that actually took "no" for an answer and did your job, but many more of them do not and it's a lot easier to screen all of my unrecognized calls than to answer them and suddenly have to deal with 2-3 weeks of whatever bullshit ensues after one of these blind-calling companies "discovers" me.

Next time a telemarketer calls, politely tell them you'd like to use their service/buy their thing, but you have a court order against you that prohibits you from doing so. Not only will they take you off the call list voluntarily, but they'll be eager to get you off the phone so they can try for a new sucker customer.

Goddrat telemarketing was the worst loving job I've ever done. I'd rather clean public toilets than do that poo poo again

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I don't care whether you answer your phone or not but you'd better have your loving voicemail set up if you don't :argh:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tiggum is my pet peeve.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Scoofles posted:

My friend is an extreme case of a person who never answers the phone. Last week she texted me to come over as she had an electrician coming to her house and she didn't want to be alone with a stranger. Fair enough, I head on over and we wait for him to arrive. Her phone starts ringing and she's standing there with it in her hand but won't answer it. 'It's probably the electrician' I tell her, as he's late and her house can be hard to find. She still refused to pick up, saying something like 'Well it might be him... But how can I be sure?' The electrician did eventually show up and said he had gotten lost and had tried calling as he desperately needed directions, my friend lied and said she never heard her phone ring.

This post makes me super angry. What the gently caress is with your friend? Are her 3 seconds of a "wrong number" MORE IMPORTANT than the 30 minutes the electrician wasted trying to find the place? She's a fuckin' dick.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Perhaps "discovered" was the wrong word to use, but there's certainly something going on where answering the phone causes some sort of switch to flip where you get hit up with a bunch of calls in the immediate future, and not answering the mystery calls doesn't.

No, the other poster is correct. If it rings, its valid. The only way to be taken off is by answering and saying NO. If you don't answer you're still a "lead". So answer your phone and save yourself some time. The robo calls are poo poo though, so nothing you can do about that other than calling back the company.

HOLY gently caress posted:

I don't care whether you answer your phone or not but you'd better have your loving voicemail set up if you don't :argh:
And lastly this. Your entire argument falls apart if you have no voicemail set up.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Sociopastry posted:

Tiggum is my pet peeve.

What's the problem? Not everyone likes their SA threads the same way. Maybe you like yours full of interesting and funny content, but some people prefer irritating, boorish commentary and constant needling in a PYF thread. For those people, maybe they like to add a little Tiggum before they dive in. It's just a difference of opinion, not an insult. Sheesh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I loving hate it when public restrooms use those sinks where you push the handle/button/whatever to turn on the water but they're installed wrong so the water stops a half a second later. Gosh, I wonder why everyone on this floor of the office gets sick all the time?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

I loving hate it when public restrooms use those sinks where you push the handle/button/whatever to turn on the water but they're installed wrong so the water stops a half a second later. Gosh, I wonder why everyone on this floor of the office gets sick all the time?

I agree. The only trick I've found was to push the sink button by propping a lengthy water bottle against your chest/stomach so the button is held down. But then you look on a little stupid back nd have to dry your bottle since you grabbed it with wet hands. Well, assuming you carry around a water bottle and the faucet sticks out long enough for this to be feasible. gently caress these sinks.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dr Scoofles posted:

Only time I won't answer is if it's a number I don't recognize - otherwise, no reason to not pick up. On that note, people who call from an unknown/unrecognized number and don't leave a message. I'd say a solid 95% of the people I know are in my phone by name, and there have been times I'll get a string of calls in the span of 5 minutes with no voicemail left. And most times it's when I can't or won't pick up, like when I'm at work or driving my car :argh:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Next time a telemarketer calls, politely tell them you'd like to use their service/buy their thing, but you have a court order against you that prohibits you from doing so. Not only will they take you off the call list voluntarily, but they'll be eager to get you off the phone so they can try for a new sucker customer.

Goddrat telemarketing was the worst loving job I've ever done. I'd rather clean public toilets than do that poo poo again

I've heard this before. I think I will try it.

Sociopastry posted:

Tiggum is my pet peeve.

Yeeeeeeesssss :unsmigghh: Let's throw Jastiger on there, too, that dude sucks.

New Pet Peeve: Windows Vista "safely remove hardware"
First you right-click on the icon in the task bar
Then you select the "safely remove hardware" option that pops up
Then you select the specific device (i.e. "USB Mass Storage device") from the window that pops up and hit "STOP"
Then you confirm the affected devices that are to be stopped in the second window that pops up by selecting "OK"
Then you click "OK" on the third window that pops up, which says "The device can now be safely removed from this computer".
Then--even though windows #2 and #3 will close automatically at this point--you have to manually close the original window.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Mar 11, 2015

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I remember when we didn't have caller I.D. We didn't even have cell phones. Your phone was attached to the wall by a cord and you couldn't carry it around with you all the time. Well, you could, but you would've looked stupid and you couldn't have made or received any calls until you plugged it in to a phone jack somewhere.

And if the loving phone rang, you loving answered it, without even knowing if you could recognize the number the call was placed from.

I am not making this up.

:corsair:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess this thread is confirming my fear that if I ever decide to stop being that rear end in a top hat who doesn't have a cell phone, I'll still be an rear end in a top hat because apparently anyone's supposed to be able to reach you at any time of day because we live in the crazy hell future now

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've heard this before. I think I will try it.

Yeeeeeeesssss :unsmigghh: Let's throw Jastiger on there, too, that dude sucks.

New Pet Peeve: Windows Vista

1) Trust me, it works

2) I agree

3) ftfy

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

I guess this thread is confirming my fear that if I ever decide to stop being that rear end in a top hat who doesn't have a cell phone, I'll still be an rear end in a top hat because apparently anyone's supposed to be able to reach you at any time of day because we live in the crazy hell future now

Jastiger is an insane person, you're fine

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't like super windy days since sometimes I just want to wear a jacket unzipped without it flapping around.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When it's at that weird temperature when you can't decide if you're hot or cold so you end up doing the jacket dance where you keep taking on and off your jacket.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

People that walk two abreast on small pavements towards me so they can keep on chatting. Get hosed I will walk into you if I really have to as the alternative is to walk into busy oncoming traffic.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
People who walk ahead of you and can kiiiiind of see you in their peripheral vision, so they're aware you're there, but they're not really thinking so instead of getting out of the way, they swerve right in front of you as you're about to pass them.

People who are so unaware that when I call out to them "on your left!" to try not to startle them, they gasp, panic, and LEAP dramatically out of the way as if I'd said "on your left and about to stab you in the kidneys!"

Washing the dishes and getting water on your forearms that drips into your armpit if you raise your arm even a little. You might THINK you dried it all off, but you didn't. And that one single armpit droplet feels so gross when the rest of you is dry.

Wet bread, wet socks.

Stale, out-of-date inside jokes. My whole family liked Silence of the Lambs when I was a kid, and I used to imitate the bad guy fairly accurately, and even though I haven't seen the movie in a good 20 years, they still make "lotion in the basket" jokes. It was funny when I was 12 and the movie was big, but I'm 36 and haven't even thought about that guy since the LAST time you made that same joke.

People who think they know more about my own hobbies than I do. You've never run a step in your life, but you feel comfortable telling me how bad my knees are and what my marathon times should be like? And disparaging pregnant women who are professional athletes who choose to run? I don't go around telling you how you should sit on your rear end and chew Doritos, you don't tell me how to train, okay?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ryoshi posted:

At my work we have the automated ones, that come on with a wave of the hand? The problem? No loving cold water! Oh wait, you can get cold water, provided no one's used that particular sink for the last two hours, so you have only a few precious seconds of cold water before it turns scalding hot.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Davros1 posted:

At my work we have the automated ones, that come on with a wave of the hand? The problem? No loving cold water! Oh wait, you can get cold water, provided no one's used that particular sink for the last two hours, so you have only a few precious seconds of cold water before it turns scalding hot.

I believe you can usually look under the sink and fiddle with the water temperature settings valve. Worth a shot if you're able.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Being sick at work, especially with a raspy voice.

"Oh, looks like you're getting sick!"
"You should drink some Emergen-C."
"Wow you sound terrible!"
"Ooooh don't breathe on me!!"

I don't want to talk about it, please just let me stock books in peace. I know people are trying to be nice but it's so annoying! And talking makes my throat hurt :(

Same with haircuts.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Though of another one. Blond jokes. They're right up there with the Buffalo Bill jokes with my family. I'm the only one who's blond, but they're constantly pointing out how "blond" they are when they do something stupid. I almost wish they'd start with lawyer jokes just to give me a break from the blond jokes. No, you're not "super blond today," you're just a dumbass.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When people on the forums go into a topical thread and say something like

"If there is interest, I'll post a really interesting and in depth post about [topic or thread title]".

Goddam, of course there is interest, it's why people are tuned in! Post it!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jastiger posted:

When people on the forums go into a topical thread and say something like

"If there is interest, I'll post a really interesting and in depth post about [topic or thread title]".

Goddam, of course there is interest, it's why people are tuned in! Post it!

And it's frequently predicated on some really scandalous opening statement, like:

"So I just recently found out I've been having sex with my birth mom...if there's any interest in this sort of thing, I can go into greater depth on it (but I don't want to hijack the thread)..."
"Actually, as an assistant OSHA inspector, I happen to know that, recently, several pizza chains have accidentally put rat poison in their sauces...if there's interest in this, I can sit down and post everything I know..."
"I discovered a network of hidden cameras scattered across my house that look like they've been recently installed. I'm not sure if I should post more about this (is this even the appropriate thread?) but if people want to see more, I guess I can take some pictures?"

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I've had the same Eastern European sounding scammer call me for months. They keep claiming I have a warrant out for my arrest and need to pay them at once, but they keep using my inappropriate nickname i use on the internet, which is not super convincing.

Also, blood banks! Stop asking me to donate. If you would let people who've had sex with a gay dude give blood, maybe I would. But now I have to explain that your organization won't let me help due to buttfuckin'. Buttfuckin' and tattoos.

People who catcall while riding a bike. It's the ding-dong-ditch of catcalling, you're already halfway down the block before I can yell back at you. Pussy.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Bomrek posted:

Being sick at work, especially with a raspy voice.

How many people do you deal with that think they can diagnose exactly what you have because they had that symptom once and their doctor WebMD said it was this extremely rare disease with ten more symptoms that they never manifested?

I used to get that poo poo all the loving time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

How many people do you deal with that think they can diagnose exactly what you have because they had that symptom once and their doctor WebMD said it was this extremely rare disease with ten more symptoms that they never manifested?

I used to get that poo poo all the loving time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oversleeping. It's never the end of the world, and I never miss stuff because of it, but I hate waking up at 12 when I wanted to be awake at 8 or something. It feels like a total waste of time even if I probably needed the extra sleep.

Also, when I ask people what time something will be done because I'm trying to make plans for after I'm done helping them, and they give me one time. And then, the day I actually have to help them, they give a completely different time, totally loving up what I was trying to do.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oversleeping. It's never the end of the world, and I never miss stuff because of it, but I hate waking up at 12 when I wanted to be awake at 8 or something. It feels like a total waste of time even if I probably needed the extra sleep.

Also, when I ask people what time something will be done because I'm trying to make plans for after I'm done helping them, and they give me one time. And then, the day I actually have to help them, they give a completely different time, totally loving up what I was trying to do.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hate waking up early, but not early enough to fall back asleep. Like if I'm trying to get up at 6 and wake up at 540. I guess it's better than late, but it's still annoying.

And related to your second point, when people tell me to pick them up/get there at a certain time but really mean 15-30 minutes after that time. I'd have to give rides to a friend back in college a lot, and he was never ready to go when he told me to be there. He'd often still be asleep, and ask me why I came so early. I was exactly on time. Is that really so out of hte ordinary that being on time has become "early" now? When I needed to give a time to them, of course they would always show up 30 minutes+ late, so I learned to subtract half an hour from the time I really wanted them to be there. Why can't they do the same thing the other way around so they are ready when I get there?

Finally, I don't know why but the :boom: emoticon drives me crazy. Seeing it just makes me angry and I can't stop staring at it thinking about how much it annoys me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I did something like this in the previous thread, but it happened again so I'll rant about it:

Articles (newspaper or otherwise) that bury the important details of a story midway through the piece, semi-explicitly because they want you to feel a specific way and those details would derail that feeling.

Case in point, today in the paper there was an article about a bunch of teens dying in an unfortunate car accident. They talk a bit about the two teens who died and how they made everyone happy, etc. All-around :cry: story.

Then, buried halfway through the article, you read that a) the teenager driving them was probably breaking the the laws about how many other teenagers they could drive around, and at what times, b) they were driving in a thick soup of fog that many motorists reported as having visibility less than 5ft in front of you, c) ran a red light and d) based on where they were trying to go within the time they had to get there, were likely driving a lot faster than the speed limit.

Reporters, I am perfectly capable of reading a story with the log line of "teens gently caress up, die in process". I don't need to have it written as "A horrible tragedy occurred, a bunch of teens were killed, it's so sad and completely unpreventable... oh and they were being idiots on multiple levels!"

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

People who think they know more about my own hobbies than I do. You've never run a step in your life, but you feel comfortable telling me how bad my knees are and what my marathon times should be like? And disparaging pregnant women who are professional athletes who choose to run? I don't go around telling you how you should sit on your rear end and chew Doritos, you don't tell me how to train, okay?

A similar peeve from a friend who still lives in my home country: she of course knows waaaay more about my adopted country than I do, even though I've lived and worked here for a few years now. As she once told me, she knows the place better because she sees it objectively as an outsider (who watches BBC America, Masterpiece Theatre, and does the tourist visit to London every two or three years).

She also knows more than I do about my profession, even though I've been in it continuously for over 10 years now, and in some capacity for 25; she held the same job for about eighteen months in a completely different system, over twenty years ago, and got sacked for incompetence.

So conversations have gone like:

Her: Why is that guy Jimmy Savile all over the BBC news over there; he just seems like an over the top entertainer or something. He's harmless [this was a while back]
Me: There's actually a bit more to it than that...
Her: Oh, what do you know about it. Sounds like a witch hunt to me.

or

Her: I don't see what the big fuss is about David Cameron; he just seems like a boring politician. He's harmless.
Me: There's actually a bit more to it than that [explains]
Her: Oh, you don't know what you're talking about.

She was (and is) a good friend through some hard times, but sheesh, visiting with her is a choice between finding conversational topics that she won't do the know-it-some routine on, or just letting her go off on her diatribes and saying nothing. I think the latter is her husband's line of defense, while I tend to take a mix of the two.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
One of my old housemates always yawned in the loudest, most drawn-out way possible. Like, with big dramatic stretches and everything.

You could just tell she was hoping someone would comment on it so she could start talking about just how crazy and exhausting her day was.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I think I may have posted this in the old thread, but it just came up again so here it is again!

At work I have to watch a lot of webinars and online tutorials, and I just cannot deal with narrators who have terrible voices. Just STOP. Go ask your coworker with the nice voice to do it, go to speech therapy, take elocution lessons, or find another line of work, because your terrible voice makes it impossible for me to listen to you. Right now I have one webinar open whose moderator sounds like a mopey 13-year-old girl crossed with the "generic teenager guy" from the Simpsons. She is AWFUL.

:argh:

E: ALSO, if you have a lisp, you miiiiight want to reconsider narrating a 15-minute sleep meditation for a popular app. Just throwing that out there.

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Assholes that get worked up and defensive over a question or suggestion and act like you just broke into their house and murdered their family. Happened a few times at my job when people have given feedback on processes or procedures that are flawed, and whomever came up with them acts like their poo poo's perfect and nobody should question it. Learn to take some constructive criticism and stop being a whiny bitch :argh: