Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«518 »
Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Fuckin' toaster knob goes from 1 to 10 but 4 results in barely warmed bread and 5 turns the slice solid black. Not a particular brand, every toaster I've ever encountered. Why do they all pretend that the settings work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Lockdown has led me to watching a lot of dumb poo poo on youtube and the like, which leads me to...

AMATEUR FOOD REVIEWERS WHO DON'T LIKE FOOD

I'm not having a go at "picky eaters" - like what you like, I don't care. But if you're reviewing something thats main ingredient is, say, mushrooms, and you state that you detest mushrooms at the beginning then it's probably going to be an utterly pointless review. Hate tomatoes in all forms? Then your review of this pasta sauce is probably not going to be that positive or helpful in the least!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Keep on keeping on.

Dip Viscous posted:

Fuckin' toaster knob goes from 1 to 10 but 4 results in barely warmed bread and 5 turns the slice solid black. Not a particular brand, every toaster I've ever encountered. Why do they all pretend that the settings work?

Possibly the most annoying thing about this to me is that the method of operation means every toaster is going to be different. Even two of the exact same model of toaster will be different.

Toasters work via a little filament next to the knob that gets heated while the toaster warms up and, y'know, toasts. The filament slowly curls inward as the toaster heats it up, and when it touches a circuit or switch the power is automatically cut and your toast pops up. You adjust the length of the toastin' sesh by rotating the knob, which physically rotates the filament. But this of course means that there is no consistency at all because it's not like it's going to heat up evenly and in exactly the same amount of time every time. Also, constantly being heated and cooled means the filament will warp over time and so the rotating knob eventually won't even make a difference anymore.

More expensive toasters have solved this by just having a circuit board with a timer inside and the knob adjusts the timer. But man I can't be bothered to shop around for a luxury toaster! It's a toaster!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.

Grimey Drawer

"Anyways."

I hate that word, I hate how prevalent it's become, I hate that complaining about that word draws the "DESCRIPTIVE NOT PRESCRIPTIVE" tools out of the wordwork, I hate seeing it in formal writing, I hate seeing it in otherwise-great tattoos. It's kin to "supposably" and "for all intensive purposes" and it just sounds backwoods and lame.

So I tell myself it's like "towards" vs. "toward" -- maybe the "toward" users were flipping out about this godawful "towards" business 200 years ago, but now either word is perfectly valid and accepted and I don't get bothered by "towards," do I? No, I use "towards" myself.

But ANYwaysss...

UGH

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Yams Fan

The thing about toasters is America's Test Kitchen tested them, and unless you're getting an industrial toaster made for restaurants to spit out perfect toast every time, they all loving suck, and you should just get the cheapest one you can find.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Do what I do: have an apartment so small that there's no counter space for a toaster. Make toast on a frying pan. It's slow! It heats the whole place up to like 30 degrees! But you're definitely in control of it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Yams Fan

Killingyouguy! posted:

Do what I do: have an apartment so small that there's no counter space for a toaster. Make toast on a frying pan. It's slow! It heats the whole place up to like 30 degrees! But you're definitely in control of it

With that much effort you should just make a grilled cheese sandwich instead

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

With that much effort you should just make a grilled cheese sandwich instead

And put peanut butter on top of it? Gross, dude

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

To become the moon
Then all the world will be in sight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfxlSG6q5Y

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Come play my CYOA!

Save your reality from the Constructors... then save all the rest of them.

Ok if you're gonna poke your head up out of your loving phone just long enough to make a comment/joke or ask a question, could you at least stick around for the response before you dive back into whatever worthless poo poo you're doing? I'm so sick of answering someone and receiving a yawning wall of silence. I stopped reading the forums for long enough I could hear your pointless poo poo, grant me the same loving courtesy!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Rabbit Hill posted:

"Anyways."

I hate that word, I hate how prevalent it's become, I hate that complaining about that word draws the "DESCRIPTIVE NOT PRESCRIPTIVE" tools out of the wordwork, I hate seeing it in formal writing, I hate seeing it in otherwise-great tattoos. It's kin to "supposably" and "for all intensive purposes" and it just sounds backwoods and lame.

So I tell myself it's like "towards" vs. "toward" -- maybe the "toward" users were flipping out about this godawful "towards" business 200 years ago, but now either word is perfectly valid and accepted and I don't get bothered by "towards," do I? No, I use "towards" myself.

But ANYwaysss...

UGH

*it's akin to, unless you meant to type kin in which case holy poo poo that's way more backwoods.

Anyways, our toaster broke last year and now we just make toast in the oven. The power usage sucks but I don't really miss having a toaster, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.

Grimey Drawer

I did mean "akin to" and I blame auto-correct.

On that note: I loving hate typing on my tablet, and my participation on message boards and social media (and even email) has declined considerably since I began using my tablet more than my laptop. I used to post a lot in TVIV and The Book Barn, but no way am I making effort-posts on a tablet.

(I'm on my laptop now, though.)

On an unrelated note, and this is more than a pet peeve, but, man....having ADHD sucks. If I misplace something in my apartment, I can't just look in the obvious or logical places, I have to look everywhere, because not only am I scatterbrained, I don't form memories when I'm distracted. Things turn up in places I don't even remember going to.

Oh no, I lost my keys! After searching the 3 logical places, the 10 most likely places, and 2349978 unlikely places, I find them in a drawer I have no memory of opening within the past 6 months. How did they get there? When did they get there? What was I doing when I put them there? No idea.

Sometimes I forget to fill my weekly pill organizer. That means that sometimes I get to have the exciting adventure of trying to remember if I've already taken my meds today, or if the memory I have of taking the meds is a memory from some other day in the past. If I guess incorrectly, I'll either have terrible anxiety and heart problems during the day, or terrible withdrawal symptoms beginning that night.

Why don't I just remember to fill the pill organizer? Because I have ADHD.

«518 »