Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Holy poo poo, yes. Your password needs to be 17 characters long. It needs to have a mix of upper and lower case letters. It needs to contain at least 4 numbers and special characters. It can't start or end with a number. No exclamation points allowed, because of reasons. But we'll only tell you one of these rules at a time until you guess them all.
And it better not be too much like any of your last x passwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hirayuki posted:

And it better not be too much like any of your last x passwords.

Wish to God somebody would smack into security designer's heads sometimes that a security system that makes it impossible for the RIGHT people to get access is just as much a problem as one the bad guys can walk through, especially since you wind up teaching people to do unsecure things like write down passwords because it's the only way they can use the drat thing.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Change password every 40 days!! Because... my password is less secure on day 40 than on the othe 39 days.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I wish that they would tell you the password requirements when you're actually trying to sign in as well as when you're actually creating an account. If I only get three tries to login before it triggers a password reset then at least tell me which criteria my password must have included. Then I'd probably be able to remember what I would have used. Instead it's just going to kick me to the password reset page and as soon as they tell me the requirements for the new password I'll know exactly what my old one was, and which I can't use again.

For the ones that require periodic resets I'm hoping I can just go with something like Aaaaaaa! then Bbbbbbb! (I'm sure there will be limits on repeated characters though) and so on so at least I can make sure not to try an old password again while keeping it easy to remember. Not everything should require super secret priority access codes and I don't really feel like using a password app. I just want to order some loving soda for my business.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

this artstyle

a little too close to :buddy: :razz: :am:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector 34 posted:

For the ones that require periodic resets I'm hoping I can just go with something like Aaaaaaa! then Bbbbbbb! (I'm sure there will be limits on repeated characters though) and so on so at least I can make sure not to try an old password again while keeping it easy to remember.
I had a uni password that was like this, and insisted that the new password not be too similar to the old one, so I just added the month to it, alternating whether it was at the start or the end, like "7hf5lj%^9vJULY"; "SEPT7hf5lj%^9v"; "7hf5lj%^9vNOV".

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Apr 21, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A place I worked at tracked a specific number of previous password hashes, rather than retaining them all for a certain amount of time. So I could do ~10 bullshit password changes and then change it right back to the original each month.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate when people wildly underbid on things you're selling. i got 320 pristine glazed roof tiles sitting on a pallet still wrapped in plastic and they are not worth "fiddy bucks"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector 34 posted:

I wish that they would tell you the password requirements when you're actually trying to sign in as well as when you're actually creating an account. If I only get three tries to login before it triggers a password reset then at least tell me which criteria my password must have included. Then I'd probably be able to remember what I would have used. Instead it's just going to kick me to the password reset page and as soon as they tell me the requirements for the new password I'll know exactly what my old one was, and which I can't use again.

For the ones that require periodic resets I'm hoping I can just go with something like Aaaaaaa! then Bbbbbbb! (I'm sure there will be limits on repeated characters though) and so on so at least I can make sure not to try an old password again while keeping it easy to remember. Not everything should require super secret priority access codes and I don't really feel like using a password app. I just want to order some loving soda for my business.

I have a good 4 passwords that need to be changed at intervals of 60 to 120 days, so there's no telling when I'll log in and discover that something needs to be changed. It's currently set at 14 characters, I just have a system where I have to only remember 3 letters and a number, and when I need a new one it's just the next in the sequence. For example, ABC1 would actually be "AustinBoisieCincinnati11!" and then the next one would be BC2 "BoisieCincinnati22@"

OF course when they upped the character limit to 14 a few years back, no one told us, so I was forced to change it at login, and kept failing to create a new password and was worried I got quietly fired overnight.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MadDogMike posted:

Wish to God somebody would smack into security designer's heads sometimes that a security system that makes it impossible for the RIGHT people to get access is just as much a problem as one the bad guys can walk through, especially since you wind up teaching people to do unsecure things like write down passwords because it's the only way they can use the drat thing.

Funnily enough, actual security experts will actually recommend you write down your passwords and keep them by your computer, because if somebody has physical access to your machine, then you have bigger problems.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
When did so many website and apps STOP using the "confirm password" box for creating an account?

That was standard for a reason, so you didn't accidentally make a password with a typo. Now I sweat the last several things I've mad an account for only had one field o enter the PW, no confirm field, so if I hosed up and then go to login and it's not working I have to do a PW reset.

Edit: Well here's one brief article that basically sums it up as: "More users will sign up if it doesn't exist."
https://uxmovement.medium.com/why-the-confirm-password-field-must-die-aacb9f9c9bce

I get that there are now "show password" buttons, but they aren't universal, and I still don't trust them.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Apr 21, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a good 4 passwords that need to be changed at intervals of 60 to 120 days, so there's no telling when I'll log in and discover that something needs to be changed. It's currently set at 14 characters, I just have a system where I have to only remember 3 letters and a number, and when I need a new one it's just the next in the sequence. For example, ABC1 would actually be "AustinBoisieCincinnati11!" and then the next one would be BC2 "BoisieCincinnati22@"

OF course when they upped the character limit to 14 a few years back, no one told us, so I was forced to change it at login, and kept failing to create a new password and was worried I got quietly fired overnight.

I'm fairly certain that everyone on earth with dumbass rotating passwords does. At comcast and fuckin jimmy johns sandwiches they recommended it as soon as I was hired and had to make a password.

Lol especially at Jimmy Johns. Like what, someone's going to break in, demand to see the POS system at gunpoint, and then clock me in to what? Take my deliveries? wooo, free hours plus mileage into my bank account

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
My bank is probably my biggest headache password wise. Sure, obviously you need some pretty drat good security on your finances, but randomly changing the requirements (and no notice of when it would reset) on me and doing the previously mentioned “don’t tell you why it’s a bad password until after you type it” thing got real obnoxious. Add in for a while the geniuses made it so you COULDN’T TYPE SYMBOLS in the password field on their mobile app (and I only noticed after the constant required password resets when I happened to realize it wasn’t putting a little asterisk in when I hit the symbols (no “show password” option either, of course)) and I resorted to using a lot of variations on “you motherfuckers” for my passwords there for a bit.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Maybe I've said it in here before and I'm sure someone else has, but people who park in front of the doors at a grocery store in the driving lane are the loving worst. Today I stopped in at the store and got stuck behind some rear end in a top hat that was just stopped in front of the door with their hazards on while they waited for someone inside. I went in, did my shopping and came back out and they were STILL THERE.

There's a whole lot full of spots you can stop your car while you wait for the person inside! Then when they come out, you can drive over and pick them up! Get out of the loving way!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Master Twig posted:

Maybe I've said it in here before and I'm sure someone else has, but people who park in front of the doors at a grocery store in the driving lane are the loving worst. Today I stopped in at the store and got stuck behind some rear end in a top hat that was just stopped in front of the door with their hazards on while they waited for someone inside. I went in, did my shopping and came back out and they were STILL THERE.

There's a whole lot full of spots you can stop your car while you wait for the person inside! Then when they come out, you can drive over and pick them up! Get out of the loving way!

Try calling the cops on them OP

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I think that those people thinking that turning on the hazard lights somehow makes it okay bothers me more than the actual obstruction.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think there are two problems: the people who are willing to do that, but also the people who tell those people that they'll only be in there for a second and end up browsing for 10+ minutes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MadDogMike posted:

My bank is probably my biggest headache password wise. Sure, obviously you need some pretty drat good security on your finances, but randomly changing the requirements (and no notice of when it would reset) on me and doing the previously mentioned “don’t tell you why it’s a bad password until after you type it” thing got real obnoxious. Add in for a while the geniuses made it so you COULDN’T TYPE SYMBOLS in the password field on their mobile app (and I only noticed after the constant required password resets when I happened to realize it wasn’t putting a little asterisk in when I hit the symbols (no “show password” option either, of course)) and I resorted to using a lot of variations on “you motherfuckers” for my passwords there for a bit.

My bank requires passwords to be exactly eight characters long, letters and numbers only.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think there are two problems: the people who are willing to do that, but also the people who tell those people that they'll only be in there for a second and end up browsing for 10+ minutes.

They got replaced by the "curbside pickup" spaces during the plague, but the Meijer I frequent had a section of spaces for "quick visits" of 15 minutes or less in 2019. I"m sure it was enforced as well as the aforementioned fire lanes we're talking about, or a handicapped space.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

I think that those people thinking that turning on the hazard lights somehow makes it okay bothers me more than the actual obstruction.

Yeah, people think hazard lights on mean you can ignore all the rules of the road and/or parking.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, people think hazard lights on mean you can ignore all the rules of the road and/or parking.

You ask me, those types of people are the real hazards!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone who turns on the hazard lights for anything else than actual mechanical failure or emergency should be broken on a wheel and also lose their driving license.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Getting halfway out the door of a large grocery store is a perfect time to stop and check your phone. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anyone who turns on the hazard lights for anything else than actual mechanical failure or emergency should be broken on a wheel and also lose their driving license.

Eh, I am used to put them up on a highway, if a sudden traffic jam pops up right before me. That way, people behind behind you have more chance to slow down steadily, rather than pushing on the breaks with full force, which causes further jams behind them. Then again, I haven't had a need to drive in years.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've done it in tropical storm conditions because without them it was legitimately hard to see any cars in front of me beyond a distance of like 20 feet, and everyone else on the interstate was doing it.

You could legitimately say maybe don't be driving when the weather is like that, but I had places to be and most of the time when we got a tropical storm warning the worst that happened was like 5 minutes of heavy rain and a stiff breeze.

I think the argument that people don't know what you're doing and think you're stopped isn't really accurate - everyone in florida seems to do it and knows it's a signal that "i'm going really slow" rather than "i am stopped".

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Apr 24, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, running your hazard lights when you're going significantly slower than the traffic around you or in inclement weather conditions or, you know, when there's a hazard is pretty much what they're for.

They're just not for parking on the sidewalk in front of the corner store because your buddy had to run in for "just a second".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What is that Daft Punk button in the centre of your console called again

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd say stuff like really poor visibility and horrible weather tells under the "emergency" aspect of my statement

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

true but there are a lot of people who will still say you shouldn't be driving slowly in inclement weather and having your hazards on

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

true but there are a lot of people who will still say you shouldn't be driving slowly in inclement weather and having your hazards on

Those people are all on the Mass Turnpike and believe you should be driving fast as poo poo in inclement weather, hazards/sobriety optional.

I love how I can cross a state in two hours but hate everything else about that road.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Those people are all on the Mass Turnpike and believe you should be driving fast as poo poo in inclement weather, hazards/sobriety optional.

I love how I can cross a state in two hours but hate everything else about that road.

Nobody should ever go to the Mass Turnpike, be real

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Dip Viscous posted:

Cooks that constantly slam their spoons or ladles against their pots while they cook.

Time to give this a normal stir. WHAM WHAM.

Is is 3 AM and you just created the best consomme in human history? Who knows! You sure as gently caress made me stop caring. WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM!!

Thanks for doing this while preparing macaroni and cheese, person in totally other building.

WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM . Macaroni and cheese is a pretty normal and tasty 3:30 AM move. Slamming an empty ladle against the pot isn't making you stir faster. Idiot.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

These stupid things. Every website designs them slightly differently, and while they're honestly pretty intuitive most of the time, I sure wish they'd just use their loving words instead. The well designed ones tend to have green mean on and red mean off, but then you get the galaxy brained dipshits who swap which direction is on/off, and use two shades of gray.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Google is probably the biggest offender of this, but the entire 'Tee hee you don't have any cookies from us, so we're going to browbeat you into accepting them with full screen transition pages until you submit!' thing.
I really wish GDPR had come with a couple restrictions that limited how loving annoying sites could be about their terms/cookies/etc.
Sites shouldn't be allowed to slap up full-page transitions you have to agree to go through to use them, because like the other annoying cookie-related popups they just seem designed to punish and annoy people for daring to use incognito, or block cookies on a site etc etc.

It's so loving annoying that every single time you fire off an incognito window to do a quick google search, or check a youtube video without it getting added to your history you have to click through these full-screen terms.
And then conveniently because you're not storing any cookies that you've accepted, they'll be back the next time you start up a session.

It would be nice if browsers had a 'remember what cookie settings to apply to which site / slam in a dummy cookie' for sites as part of incognito mode. Or some other systemic way of getting rid of the plague of every single site spawning ''agree 2 everything??? yessssss! no don't click no'' on the 'first' visit each time.
Or if GDPR got updated to only allow sites to spawn something like that if you're doing something required by the site to function. Like only being able to ask to store a cookie if you log in, etc etc. Ban cross-site tracking, etc etc. A login on one site should never allow another to interact with your account without your explicit permission beforehand.
It really didn't take long for sites to realize that they just need to be obnoxious, and everyone would agree to the same aggressive datamining as they used to do unprompted.

(The push notification thing from liquidypoo is another one, it's insane how loving many sites just immediately started trying to get people to agree to push notifications through chrome. Every goddamn news site or adware redirect going 'HEY LET US PUSH NOTIFICATIONS TO YOUR DESKTOP SHITFACE')

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

Yeah, running your hazard lights when you're going significantly slower than the traffic around you or in inclement weather conditions or, you know, when there's a hazard is pretty much what they're for.

They're just not for parking on the sidewalk in front of the corner store because your buddy had to run in for "just a second".

People in my apartment do it when they stop by the mailbox. Tangentially the people who stop at the mailbox and sit there for 30 minutes are a peeve.

I have a separate mail key, so I park way forward, so people can pull in behind me if needed, leave the car running, grab my mail, get back in my car and go.

Other people, park right there in the middle, sit there for 10 minutes, spend 5 minutes at the mailbox, and then sit in their car for another 10 minutes flipping through their mail, before they star their car back up and leave.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who see you're not smiling or whatever then ask "what's wrong?" Then, when you describe what's bothering you, they get all weird about it like you're an rear end in a top hat for being negative randomly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

People who see you're not smiling or whatever then ask "what's wrong?" Then, when you describe what's bothering you, they get all weird about it like you're an rear end in a top hat for being negative randomly.

I feel like there’s a deeper issue here. What’s wrong?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It was really just that. "What's wrong?" "Ah just x and y..." Meanwhile their expression suggests they were hoping for a "oh, nothing, haha, I'm good!" or something as opposed to a real answer

Happens now and then and I hate it

Edit: Like I get at a certain level it's polite to acknowledge someone's unhappiness, but it's also weird to act like one's offering to lend an ear if they're not, it just kinda sucks and adds to things.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Apr 28, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The root issue is people assuming something is bothering you just because you aren't smiling at nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm constantly depressed but apparently my resting neutral face is smiling at nothing. That's kind of a peeve.