Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I don't care whether you answer your phone or not but you'd better have your loving voicemail set up if you don't :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

All women's hoodies seem to be too short in the torso so I'm pulling them down every time I move and men's hoodies are long enough in the torso but have too much extra room the shoulders GODDAMMIT I am so misshapen

Here's another fun pet peeve that I've experienced today: job applications that are unnecessarily thorough for what the job is. Today I filled out one that wanted all the addresses I've lived at for the past 10 years. I've moved 7 times in that period and couldn't even remember the whole addresses for some of them so I had to fire up Google. And it was for a basic retail job! Ugh.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

Clicking on a website that you've never heard of, let alone visited,

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE OUR SURVEY ON HOW GOOD THIS WEBSITE IS?"

Are they not familiar with cookies or tracking users who actually seem to be using the site?

I got one of these the other day and it wouldn't even let you click "no thanks" or close it in any other way, you just have to reload the website and hope you don't get it again.

edit: ^ I hate recipe blogs that do that. They're usually the kind of blogs that use tiny, unreadable fonts too :argh:

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Jun 7, 2015

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Decorating blogs and websites that only seem to have tips for people who either own the property or love not getting security deposits back. Yeah I'd love to paint a giant goddamned mural on my bedroom wall or to put up five million shelves over all available wall space so all of my storage problems would be solved forever but moving is expensive enough without paying for non-accidental damages too ugh.

Might as well get rid of half the stuff I have instead :sigh:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

People in my new job keep commenting that I look sad or angry all the time even when I'm not but I have hooded eyelids and I'm not going to walk around with my eyes wide open all the time or get surgery so gently caress them :mad:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I hate people who leave shopping carts right next to, but not actually in, cart returns. You made it all the way there, you can't take just a few more steps to put it where it won't obstruct parking spaces and make poo poo harder for the people who have to put them away? I mean I can almost get not using a cart return if it's one of those giant IKEA-like parking lots but in small ones where the rows are fairly short and there's a return on each side? This is even worse if it's a return right next to the store door. People will come out of the store, take their things out of their cart while standing right next to or in the cart return and still leave the cart in the wrong place, what the gently caress :argh:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

pussy riot police posted:

Yes. And they do. Usually not all of it, but some of it.

Having worked in grocery, they absolutely do. And not just in self-checkout either, in the regular checkout lanes too.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I'm growing out a short haircut and the back of my hair keeps flipping out like a duck tail and pinning it back for months sucks. :(

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Door-slamming. I know this is usually just a product of growing up in a big loud family but holy poo poo, stop it. It takes like a billionth of a fraction of a second of forethought to not slam the door. Shut it gently. See also: stomping on stairs.

The girl upstairs does this, THREE TIMES. Thanks for waking everyone up who might have been working late last night! >:(

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It could have something to do with where they live. In NYC I have people come up to me all the time to tell me they love my tattoos but nobody's ever tried to touch me. Touching strangers in NYC is a good way to get maced.

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Jan 22, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

lidnsya posted:

Can you just write your name in yourself? Or go directly to a teller and explain when you deposit it?

Also, Jastiger, you are biased, not bias incarnate, you sack of turds.

Yeah, I'm doing that tomorrow. Not holding my breath though, my bank kind of sucks.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

All the stores have warm and comfy sweaters, scarves and hats for fall but it's still 80 loving degrees here so it's too hot to wear them :saddowns:

another downside of the weather: the gross as gently caress Bradford/Callery Pear trees are still in bloom and since some sadistic bastard planted them everywhere, even in urban areas with high pedestrian traffic, you end up smelling them multiple times even on short walks. cities already smell, why do you need to make it worse!?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I'm at a beer garden and at it's 9 pm and packed and someone just brought their infant in a stroller in

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

I could understand keeping the thing heated to like 70 degrees or something normal, but why is it that they always crank it way the gently caress up to where you'd even sweat wearing shorts and a tshirt? Unless you're in the drat arctic, let trams and buses have the same interior temperature as outside so people don't have to remove their huge bulky jackets just to be comfortable.

I hate this too. Plus, they've started rolling out these new buses around here that have no openable windows for the back half of the bus so unless the front windows are already open or you're able to get up and open them yourself then you get to sweat to death!

Peeve:
Websites that don't tell you whether or not they want you to put spaces in your credit card number when you're buying something. Whichever format you pick first is almost always wrong, and then sometimes they make you type the entire number over again UGH :saddowns:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What websites make you put spaces in your credit card number?

I know ThinkGeek does at least, my boyfriend ordered from there the other day and put it in as one big number the first time. It came up as invalid and wouldn't work until he put the spaces in. :shrug:

Also here's something I don't get: people around here seem to leave their wallets in their cars a lot or not even bring them to school at all and then act astounded when I tell them they need to have some form of photo ID to check out books. Why would you leave your wallet in the car? Thieves love targeting students and cars get broken into all the time here. Maybe this is just weird to me as someone coming from a place where there are less drivers to one where almost everyone drives but it seems really strange to just go around all day without your wallet.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Wasn't there a pyf bachelor stuff thread or did I imagine that?

Anyway I have to meet an old friend's toddler for the first time and I'm a little less sober than I probably should be. So my pet peeve is people suddenly bringing their kids to poo poo that was supposed to be just adult time noooo

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Nov 14, 2015

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Plastik posted:

There was. It got closed with a Mod decree that "We need a new one!", presumably because the old database issues were still happening, and threads over 150 posts were strenuous to the forums. Nobody made a new one, because we were all too busy (lazy) working at liquor stores and cumming in vases and peeing through knotholes in our various bedroom floors, possibly onto dogs, possibly not.

Link to the last.

Is it you? Are you the Chosen Goon who is going to restart the Bachelor Thread?

No. But thank you for the link :)

Cowslips Warren posted:

My stepdad wanted me, a 21 year old, to kiss him on the mouth. Gee, I wonder why everyone else thought that was creepy as gently caress but he insisted it was normal.

And I did not kiss him on the drat mouth.

Also what the gently caress?! You don't live in the same house, do you? :ohdear: My mom dated a guy who used to hit on me all the time which was loving creepy but at least I had left home by then.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I can't remember the last time I was around my boyfriend's dad where he didn't bring up Benghazi multiple times, completely out of context of the current conversation. Nobody wants to talk about this dude, especially not at the dinner table at Christmas! Nobody even tries seriously talking about it with him anymore, it's not worth it because he believes what he wants to and won't listen to anything that goes against it. So yes: people with no conversational awareness who don't realize that these topics have a time and place and if everyone around you looks extremely uncomfortable maybe that isn't it?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along the lines of neutering, I know a guy who does not want kids. At all. Neither does his wife. And he bitches about her birth control and having to use condoms sometimes, and when I mentioned vasectomy., he flipped the gently caress out. Because even though he doesn't want kids and is often worried about an accidental pregnancy, getting snipped is something that will never, ever happen to him, because "what if they gently caress up and my dick breaks and I never get hard again!" Instead he advocates that his wife "get fixed." But a tubal isn't foolproof. He was actually looking into finding a doctor who would do a full "pelvic cleanout" on his 30 year old wife so he wouldn't have to 'deal with periods anymore.'

Said gem of a man also believes if more women hosed more crazy men, there would be less shootings.

But when he gets called on any of this poo poo, he insists he's joking.

That's my peeve. Being a horrible oval office or a racist and trying to play the "gently caress, I'm just joking, stop being all PC!" card.

gently caress people like this. Also "pelvic cleanout" might be the most horrifying phrase I've ever heard :stonk:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I'm at a bar, there's a sign that says "on tap" then has a list of beers. I ordered one from that list and it came in a bottle, what the gently caress? :( not that I'm against bottled beers but I would like to know in advance

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Which reminds me of my biggest pet peeve: sales parties, and I really hate when people use them for wedding/baby showers.

People do this?! That is the tackiest thing ever. :stare:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I know British food isn't the best poo poo in the world or anything but today I had a hot Scotch egg and it was so loving wrong that I'm still not over it. We have the Internet, why not look things up to make sure you're doing it right? I went to another "british" pub awhile a ago and ordered a pasty and it wasn't even the right kind of crust and there was gravy on the side what the gently caress. Why are you doing this to me America, I can't afford the $2000 to go home so I can eat food that is garbage in the correct ways :mad:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

titties posted:

I love hot scotch eggs and make them all the time. At breakfast I will eat them with maple syrup and at dinner I will eat them with hollandaise sauce, how does this make you feel?

I don't know if I'd eat them with maple syrup but hollandaise sounds pretty good! My issue is more with restaurants and stuff, really. :buddy:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

cash crab posted:

Content: Does anyone's hands get so dry that they get little ripped up pieces of skin around their nails? Which never heal? And are made worse by each successive handwash? The worst.

Yeah, I get this thanks to the industrial foaming soap at work/school that dries the absolute gently caress out of my hands. Hand cream helps, but my hands often look like paper. And then I make it worse by picking at them! I've considered bringing my own soap but carrying around my own bottle of it all day seems a little... weird.

I have so many hand problems :cry:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

edit

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Jan 22, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

"Right meow" instead of "Right now". Holy poo poo I hate that phrase and everyone who says it.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

People who really love Super Troopers

I liked that movie but hearing it in real life hurts :saddowns:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've had problems in the past with that too and yeah these don't do that at all. I'll look when I get home at what brand they are but I think they're they "hotel" version that Target carries.

They're the Threshold ones. I have them too and they rule. There's like two rows of elastic on the corners and they're deep pockets so they stay on really well.

My pet peeve is that I have a new coworker who is really nice but always keeps conversations going past that point where it feels like everyone else is done and wants to get back to work. I feel bad for being annoyed, she is cool otherwise :smith:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I hate when you find a piece of clothing and it’s perfect except for one thing that makes it totally unwearable. Like the perfect jacket but all the pockets are fake. Or pants that fit you perfectly but when you look in the mirror to see yourself from behind there’s hideous embroidery or words on the rear end.

I hate clothes shopping :saddowns:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

My ex and his family had a system of gifting where you were assigned a person and were supposed to just buy a gift for them but ended up having to buy a gift for the other 15 people there too and it was the worst. Now I spend my holidays with just my husband not being stressed out by all that bullshit 👍🏻

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Why? There was an AGREEMENT, dammit!!1

Well, it started out as agreed then as the years went by it mutated into “buy smaller things for people in ex’s immediate family” then went to everyone. Since I was the most broke person there at the time I ended up opting out of Christmas entirely which annoyed some people but I don’t have to see them anymore!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

I've got a couple of friends that I group chat with all the time and they have the weirdest loving texting style.

Like I'll send a hilarious animated gif and they'll say, "Laughed at an image."

Or maybe I'll say something, like, "That was a good movie" and one of them will respond, "Emphasized 'that was a good movie'." Or sometimes it's not emphasizing, it's liking or disliking or whatever.

I assume it's an automated thing, but it's weird and I don't like it. Just say haha or LOL, christ. I've never seen anyone else do this.

I think this might be an iPhone thing or something because I have a friend who does this too and it’s all Liked this after every text anyone else sends. Thank god she’s the only one I know who does it because I hate it

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

This is why I’ve never been able to get into audiobooks despite trying several times, i just end up focusing on the narrator’s voice and pronounciation of things instead of the actual story

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: professors assigning their own textbooks

Guillotine peeve: requiring you to buy a new copy of their own textbook because the online access code is required to pass

Yup, you used to be able to buy the codes separately but now publishers are starting to bundle them with new textbooks only! HOORAY!

Maybe see if your school has a Affordable/Open Educational Resources committee that students can participate in? there is a growing number of educators, students, library workers, etc., working on increasing instructor adoption of low cost or zero cost materials.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Oh HELL yes, I’m going to get glow sticks now!

Edit: I also have candy

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Ugh, agreed. That manages to be both unhelpful and smug.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Thank your faculty. They don't listen to central admin and just do whatever they like.

Professors are an untouchable caste and can act with impunity.

I have war stories. So many stories.

I work in a college library and same :shepicide: Sure, I’ll definitely waive our policies if you yell at me hard enough! Maybe return the severely overdue book that three students are waiting for??

They’re not all awful obviously but the ones who are are really awful.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

same

Also I want to give a special shout out to a professor I had last year, who assigned a textbook that had an online component, meaning you either have to buy a new one at sticker price, or spend a textbook's worth of money on a code for the online component and not even get a book out of the deal.

And just so happened to be an author of the book.

No one doesn't see what you're doing you absolute gently caress

Right there with you. A few years ago I was in a class that had an $100 textbook by the professor that we couldn’t get used because “the old version won’t work” and then when they’d all sold out he told us that he’d partnered with the bookstore to make a $15 ebook available. Everyone was furious.

Lots of people are fed up with this poo poo and affordable/zero cost textbook committees are being formed in more and more institutions although there’s still a lot of work to be done.

Anyway I can rant about how much I loathe the textbook industry all day, they’re just like the pharmaceutical industry :argh:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I hate when clothing brands are inconsistent with including size charts in their product descriptions or don’t have them at all. This seems to happen more frequently with smaller brands which is even more annoying when their return policies aren’t great so instead i have to email them about sizing for each piece i guess?? If there were garment measurements even it’d help a little but i lost 30 pounds and there isn’t anything that fits well enough for me to measure against

Obviously the solution is to buy from places that do have size charts but i can’t find anything i like enough to buy and looking for new things is weirdly overwheming and exhausting :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

As for niceholes, there's a trend in this neck of the woods - East Scotland - of people giving up right of way at roundabouts. The whole Thing of a roundabout is "give way to cars from the right". That's it! One rule! It works really well!

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jan 22, 2023