Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

People who zealously stick to the speed limit while driving. Yes, I realize you're following the posted limit and probably feel very holier-than-thou, but let's be honest: Those speeds are created with the lowest common denominator in mind. We're talking about people who are basically high-functioning retards with the coordination/reaction speed of a Lima bean. It's probably not going to kill you to go as fast as other traffic.

People who don't follow the road rules. You think you're a good driver and maybe you are, but let's face it, you're probably not, and it saves you approximately three seconds to break that rule, so gently caress you. Follow the god drat rules, you wanker.

Also, drivers who stop to let you cross the road in front of them. If you'd just kept driving, I would have just crossed behind you, but because you stopped I had to stop because you were suddenly behaving erratically and I don't want to get run over. Now you've slowed us both down. Oh, and I'm supposed to be grateful for this? No.

Cyclists on the footpath. I realise that it's dangerous for you on the road, but the solution to that is not for you to pass the danger on to pedestrians. If you feel it's unsafe to ride a bike on the road here, get off the loving bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If it were up to me, we'd outlaw bikes because they're complete poo poo in either situation.

If it were up to me, we'd outlaw all forms of personal transport and replace them with a public transport system that was actually good enough for everyone to use all the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In fiction, when someone gives an incredibly cryptic or unhelpful response to a question and the protagonist just accepts it and carries on rather than getting annoyed or even asking for clarification.

:downs: I'm looking for someone to translate this writing, can you help?
:eng101: In the shadow of iniquity, seek the one whose name is last.
:downs: Thank you.

Later

:downs: Hey guys, what do you suppose he meant by that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who walk slowly. Specifically, when they're walking somewhere with me. If I'm walking somewhere with someone I always have to plan for it to take twice as long as it should, because no one can walk at a reasonable pace. And I don't think I walk particularly fast, it generally takes me about as long to get somewhere as Google Maps indicates. Is that not supposed to be a normal walking pace?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who never carry any cash with them when going out to eat or drink- this is more of a problem over here in Switzerland than in the US, but a lot of places I've been here either don't/won't split the bill, or are cash-only. I can understand being caught off guard your first time out or two, but there is always someone in the department when we go out as a group that wants to pay their portion by card, forcing one of us with cash to cover them until they pay you back several weeks/months later.
I've had to start making a specific point to get cash before going to a restaurant with a group because I just don't use cash in any other situation any more, and I don't always remember. I always used to have cash in my wallet, because using my card was less convenient and cost more, but now restaurants and pubs are the only place left where I can't expect to just scan my card for everything, and pubs at least generally have ATMs inside.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

People who can't conclude an minor disagreement like adults:

"Well, it seems like we'll never agree on this, but I respect your opinion and I'm sorry we had an argument."

"Yeah, I'm sorry you're so wrong" :smug:
People who say "agree to disagree" and mean "I don't have a good response to that so I'm not going to acknowledge it in any way." :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who say "ek cetera" or write "ect."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

I like cooking, and often I do lunch / dinner parties for friends and family. Every time there's someone who, when I place a dish on the table, immediately reaches for the salt / pepper / oil / soy sauce / whatever.

No, gently caress you. First you taste what I've cooked, and then, if you feel it needs something extra, you add it. You do not add whatever to the dish before even tasting it :argh:

Some people just like more salt (or whatever) than the average person, so they just know that if someone else cooked it they're going to want more salt. Why do you even care? It's not an insult for someone to have different tastes or preferences to you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Two: it's just bad manners. If you add salt or whatever to a dish without having tasted it, it's as if you were saying "I know from the start that this dish isn't good enough."
So, you'd prefer them to taste it and go "Well, this isn't good enough, needs salt"? If you think adding salt is an insult, why does it matter whether they try it first or not?

Adding salt isn't an insult, BTW, different people just have different tastes. No one is thinking "I know this food will be poo poo, so I'll add salt" they're thinking "I know I like a lot more salt than anyone I know, so I'll add some."

Jastiger posted:

People that don't answer their phone if they don't recognize the number.
People who always answer the phone no matter what they're doing. I've called people from work and got "Can you call back, I'm on a roof." or "...I'm on the freeway." or "...it's too loud in here, I can't hear you." and one particularly memorable time where, before I even said anything, the person on the other end said "You'll have to call back, I'm driving." and hung up. So they didn't even answer to find out who was calling, or say when they'd be in a position to take a call, it was just completely pointless.

That's what voicemail is for! If you're in a position where it's not safe to take a call or you're too busy or you're in a noisy environment, just let it go! The person calling will leave a message or call you back, or text you, or talk to you on Facebook, or any one of the many different ways the modern world provides for us to contact each other!

Murphy Brownback posted:

Answering the phone when it's a telemarketer doesn't make them stop calling. In fact, it is more likely to make them keep calling when they find out there is someone answering on the other end.
They know if it's a valid number or not by whether it even rings at all. If they're a legitimate company then you can ask them not to call back and they won't. If they're scammers then it doesn't really matter what you do since they'll probably call again regardless.

Sociopastry posted:

Also anyone who puts ketchup on steak.
People who care how others like their food. If I'm cooking for someone and they want their steak well-done with tomato sauce (ketchup) on it, that's how I'll serve it to them. I made lasagne for a friend who put tomato sauce on it. I laughed at him, but it's not offensive to me that that's how he likes it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Perhaps you worked for a reputable sales company that actually took "no" for an answer and did your job, but many more of them do not and it's a lot easier to screen all of my unrecognized calls than to answer them and suddenly have to deal with 2-3 weeks of whatever bullshit ensues after one of these blind-calling companies "discovers" me.
They've discovered you either way. Invalid numbers don't ring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's also something loving stupid, like chili contest, or a Only Red Food thing, or penguin-themed, and then everyone votes on the dish they like the best, and that person gets the space! Really?
What's the problem with that?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along those lines, company surveys and meetings where they want you to throw out ideas for team rewards BUT we can't get gift cards or a raise and we can't go any outside of work activities and again, since everyone works different schedules we can't do anything otherwise, oh, and we can't spend any money on even simple poo poo like pizza. So...what kind of reward do we get for being number 1 in the country again? A little plaque with a gold star?
You should make increasingly ridiculous (but cheap) suggestions, see how far you can push it. Maybe start with something like "winning team gets to (has to) wear paper crowns" or "members of winning team get an honorary title (Sir/Dame maybe?)".

Cowslips Warren posted:

As for coldcalls, I've been getting poo poo from bloodbanks for over a year. But every time I check out their sites to donate, the nearest donation point is 20 miles away. They used to to a ton of events right by my house, or by the nearby stadium or outlet mall, but now everything's miles away and in a loving tiny church or a grade school cafeteria. Telling them NO doesn't work. Asking for them to bring back the old sites doesn't work. And they call at loving 9pm at night to set up blood donations appts! Some of us work in the early morning, rear end in a top hat!
I assume you've probably tried already, but if you haven't then you could try explaining that there are no convenient locations and see if the person can get you removed from the calling list. There's probably a way they can flag a number to not get called, and they may be encouraged not to use it outside of specific circumstances, but chances are if you're nice to them they'll do it anyway because they're working in a call centre, so someone making your day less unpleasant trumps the rules every time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who say/write "step foot" instead of "set foot". Especially when it happens in stuff that's actually been edited and published (like Cracked).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right on this one, but... People who pronounce Tokyo with three syllables 'toe-key-yo' and Kyoto as 'kee-yo-toe'. Makes me mad.

Those are just the correct English pronunciations. I don't know why place names are different in English, but those are hardly the most egregious examples. Why do we call Deutschland Germany? Historical reasons, obviously. but there's no good reason to keep doing it as far as I can see.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Souvlaki ss posted:

People that keep the temperature in a closed space too high (office, supermarket, house etc)

I find 20°C too hot, so basically anywhere that has a heater turned on is uncomfortable for me, but it really annoyed me at the place I used to work that people would complain about it being too cold when they were wearing short-sleeved shirts, no windcheater, etc. and trying to get the heat turned up while I'm sitting there wishing the windows opened.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

See also, "gorg," "sesh," and "vacay," or worse, "vaca." I can only read this as "Only three hours and twelve minutes of work until COWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

"Hubby" and "preggers". :argh:

Also, couples who say "we're pregnant". No, only one of you is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Furrbabies.

No, gently caress you. They are my CATS.

Petsmart has a new thing now with ads how having a pet is just like having a furry kid. A poster of a woman holding a cat declaring the order in her house is cat, her, then husband, but shhhh don't tell her husband!

I love my cats and snakes and all my pets. But call them furrbabies and I will think you loving insane.

People who refer to themself (or another pet owner) as the pet's mother or father. What the gently caress is wrong with you? It's a loving cat, not a child.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bradzilla posted:

What lovely grocery store do you shop at that doesn't have an entrance room with the carts and ads before you go into the actual store itself?

What kind of weird shop has a foyer?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who respond to the truth of the day with what day is it for them. IE, today is Friday. But someone at work will pip up that it's their Thursday. NO, fucker, it's Friday. It's not my Friday, your Thursday, his Sunday and her Halloween. IT IS ONE loving DAY OF THE WEEK. Then again you can mostly tell the whiners who have never had to work weekends because that's how the days go to them.
Funny, I pretty much only her that from people who regularly work weekends.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also a huge peeve when someone says that they're busy, and then all you get are beeps from Facebook that they've gone up in levels on some game over and over, or they're posting various poo poo nonstop. You are not a 'social blogger warrior.' If you can't hang out because you're at the hospital, loving say so, don't flood my page with idiotic THANK GOD TODAY memes and game invites.
Well "too busy to go out and do something" doesn't necessarily mean "too busy to post stupid poo poo on Facebook." I probably spend more time on Facebook when I have an essay to write than any other time, but that doesn't mean I'm not busy. I'm just busy doing something on my computer that allows for frequent short breaks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The way Americans use the word "liberal". It's not the opposite of "conservative", that makes no sense!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

People who let their cats be outside cats. :smith:

God dammit people we live in Florida, there's always the chance of, gators, racoons, random psychopaths.
That second sentence went in totally the opposite direction to what I was expecting.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Either form of shelter can be horrifically cruel - there's a lot of kill shelters that will euthanize any cat too young or too old (they're not cute anymore!)
That's horrifically cruel?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Christ, Article A Video - The Onion.

Yes, it's a video.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Websites that are formatted so the actual content takes up less than half of the screen, especially where it's aligned to the left rather than the middle. Worst example I've seen recently is SBS News. Just look at any article on that site. It's terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Panniculus Rift posted:

My cat is neutered, does that mean it's ok?
No.

Panniculus Rift posted:

Do you really think I should start denying my cat the joy of pooping outside, eating grass and chilling with his cat friends in the sun?
Yes.

Panniculus Rift posted:

Sounds like your neighbours cat is an rear end in a top hat a cat
FTFY.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know it's hard to post Serious Bird Facts while sporting this username but only one person brought up the impact of outdoors cats on native species which imo is a much more significant reason to keep cats indoors than the possibility of a coyote eating him, and a lot of people don't understand how significant the impact of cats is on local wildlife, so here we go
I can't believe how many people are saying to keep cats indoors for the sake of the cat. gently caress the cat. If it gets killed, there are a billion other cats. Way too many in fact.

Watsabi posted:

I'm about ready to slap the next cashier who hands me my change with the coins (and/or receipt) on top of my cash. i have to stand there like a turd and wand up my cash to stuff in my pocket to release the coins Then pull the cash back back out to put in the wallet.

Fuggit, it is easier for me to switch to a card instead. I guess then teach an archaic lesson to the kid behind the counter.
One not insignificant reason I'm glad Paypass/Paywave exists now and I almost never need to carry or use cash any more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who complain about thread derailing, so instead of two or three people having a short off-topic conversation that's easy to scroll past you have a dozen people repeatedly telling those three to shut up and then a bunch more telling those people and each other to shut up and dragging the whole thing out much longer than it ever would have been if everyone just ignored it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People caring about what other people name their kids. Do you want a list of a dozen acceptable names everyone has to stick to or something? What's even wrong with calling your child Brayden or Apple or whatever. It's just a name, it's not important.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

walrusman posted:

You're right, it's not something that child has to write on every homework assignment, credit card receipt, or legal document for the next 80 years or anything.

So?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Because they're not pets, they'll care what their name is. Apple isn't a name either, it's a fruit.
And "Rose" is a flower. What's your point?

Celery Face posted:

Also, if you give someone a stupid special snowflake name like "Jaxon" or "Madisynn," everyone's gonna spell their name the normal way and it'll be a huge pain in the rear end to have to correct them every single time.
Oh no, that must be the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone! People spell my name wrong all the time, it's really not an issue.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Naming your kid soda or seven or something is just setting them up to be made fun of their whole lives.
Is it though? People say that, but does it actually make a difference? Do kids with unusual names get bullied or picked on more than kids with more conventional names?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

reformed bad troll posted:

Kids aren't stupid. There was a girl in my class when I was 7 called Florence and she got bullied out the school. That's a relatively normal name.

That's my point though? Having a normal name doesn't change whether you'll be bullied or not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

They're trolls, people. It's a gimmick. They're trying to get a rise out of you. Just ignore them and move on :eng99:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

For some reason my mother named me Kara which should be pronounced sorta like Car-rah. Instead, my mom wanted to be super duper unique and forced everyone to pronounce it like Care-Ah...which is spelt like Cara.

Are you saying that you think people would pronounce your name properly if it were spelled with a C instead of a K? "Cara" and "Kara" both look like they should be pronounced the same way to me. Or rather, I'd probably guess "car-ruh" first but wouldn't be surprised by "care-uh" or "cah-ruh" either way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jastiger posted:

There is literally no benefit to smoking outside of a few minutes of socialization. Otherwise it's garbage, harmful, and smells terrible.

Well, it's also enjoyable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Book reviews on sites like Amazon or Goodreads that start with a plot summary. The plot summary is already there in the book description, you don't need to rewrite it, just get to the point!

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Jun 11, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have my Facebook set to automatically share all my public posts on Twitter, and it really annoys me when I just post a link to something and the text from that link shows up on Twitter as though I'd written it myself.

I posted this link on Facebook with no comment or explanation
http://i.imgur.com/nDH6dri.gifv
and on Twitter it came out as

I just didn't say that, those are not my words. :argh:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Live recordings of songs that include a full minute of the audience cheering and clapping before and after the song. This bothers me the most when a song like that comes on when I'm listening to Pandora since I don't want to waste a skip on it but I also don't want to sit and listen to a room full of idiots cheering and clapping when I want to listen to music.
I haven't used Pandora, is there some limit on how many songs you can skip in a given time? If so, why?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Your odd mix of Imperial units and British English liberally sprinkled with Americanisms is confusing the hell out of me.

English people use mph for the speed of cars (for some reason). Nothing about that post looked particularly American to me. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Ugh tech support. People blindly answer "yes" to everything.

As the one in the family who's "good with computers" I don't know how many times I've heard variations on

:downs: I was trying to do a thing and some message popped up and it wouldn't work.
:geno: Well, what did the message say?
:downs: I don't know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Heavy items stuffed into as few thin plastic bags as possible, none double bagged.

Several times I've had the opposite of this, where they insist on double-bagging things after I tell them not to.

:downs: I'll double-bag that, it's pretty heavy.
:v: Nah, one's fine.
:downs: Oh, but it's heavy, you don't want the bag to break.
:v: My house is literally a block from here, it'll be fine.
:downs: I'll just double-bag it anyway, just to be safe.

And by that point they've already done it so it's pointless to go on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I hate when people make cute stories out of candy bar brands.

Like what?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The free version of Draw Something plays video ads that override my tablet's setting to not rotate the display, often play two or three times in a row, and even the unskippable ones require you to click the "close" button in the corner when they finish rather than just automatically returning you to what you were doing. And I still couldn't even tell you what any of them are advertising since I mute the tablet and put it down while I wait for the ad to finish. It's like they deliberately came up with the most irritating and least effective way to advertise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Closing tabs in Chrome on my tablet is stupidly fiddly. The close button is just too small and hard to hit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When you're on public transport and have your bag sitting on the seat beside you and someone just starts to sit down without asking you to move it first so you have to react quickly and grab your bag out of their way.

I don't understand why anyone would do that, but it's not an isolated incident, people do it all the time. And I don't even put my bag on the seat if the train/tram/bus is crowded.

Unrelated: people who can't tolerate silence and keep trying to make small talk even when you're clearly trying to read a book or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Female characters in videogames. I don't give two shits if they have boobie plate or breast molded chestpieces, but could we have one or two that don't? That's all I'm asking for. You can have a billion male characters and monsters that are dudes to your hearts content, but it's like every single game studio thinks every single female character should be tits mcgee. Welp jobs done everyone, every lady (ie 1-3 playable characters) has massive knockers, revealing clothing and is a dumb support character.

Even Evolve, the game where the only female monster has tits and rear end, has a grandmother in a giant homemade mech suit.

But if no breasts how woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

The most confusing thing is when a woman messages you and then ignores you when you try to keep the conversation going

I found when I was on OKCupid years ago I got messages from two types of women. Middle-aged women (I was in my early twenties) who "weren't hitting on me" and women my own age who'd only want to chat online, never actually meet.