Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I think I may have posted this in the old thread, but it just came up again so here it is again!

At work I have to watch a lot of webinars and online tutorials, and I just cannot deal with narrators who have terrible voices. Just STOP. Go ask your coworker with the nice voice to do it, go to speech therapy, take elocution lessons, or find another line of work, because your terrible voice makes it impossible for me to listen to you. Right now I have one webinar open whose moderator sounds like a mopey 13-year-old girl crossed with the "generic teenager guy" from the Simpsons. She is AWFUL.

:argh:

E: ALSO, if you have a lisp, you miiiiight want to reconsider narrating a 15-minute sleep meditation for a popular app. Just throwing that out there.

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

People that insist on telling you without provocation any time something unfortunate/mundane/stupid happened to them. Especially because its obvious they want a response from you to feel bad for them or comment or laugh or whatever.
I have a coworker who takes the same lunch time as I do and she will just not shut up.
:v: *sigh*" Well I have no car for the rest of the week"
:geno: *I look up from my lunch/book/quiet activity* "Oh?"
:v: "Yeah well I had to take it to the mechanic because of blah blah and my husband said this and blah blah and then this happened and then and then and then"
Most of the time she will just launch into whatever stupid story it is without me saying anything at all.

My boss does this.

She also interrupts 95% of my sentences to say, "Yeah yeah yeah" or "I KNOW....that's what I'm SAYING"

Every single suggestion or comment or thought you express, she cuts you off to tell you that she's already thought of that/been there/done that. And she hasn't.

She refers to herself as my "mama" (I'm almost 40), and today before she left for lunch, she told me to behave myself.

And I share an office with her, and she sits behind me with an eye-line to my computer. I'm only typing this now because she's at lunch for 7 more minutes still.

:suicide:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

My fiancee can at least walk into her clothing store of choice, consult the magic tables, and pick something off the rack where the only question will be if it's going to show too much cleavage.

Speaking of which, what black sorcery goes into women's clothing where something that looks on the hanger like it has a plunging neckline is fairly modest, yet something that looks modest on the rack - or on the mannequin! - suddenly turns into "HILOOKATMYTITS" when put on an actual woman?

Your fiancee might have a disproportionately short torso. I have the same problem -- I'm 5'4" and wear a 31-32" inseam, but have a petite-proportioned torso (but not arms). Long-sleeved shirts from the petite section don't reach my wrists, so I have to get them in the regular section and therefore they're so low-cut I have to wear something underneath them lest I flash everyone I encounter. Basically, I wear a thin petite camisole under everything, even another tank top (because I like tank tops long enough to cover my butt, which rules out getting them in the petite section).

That reminds me of another pet peeve, unrelated to my freakish body. I'm seeing a lot of stores (even decidedly non-sexy brands like Eddie Bauer) who are making tank tops with burned-out fabric or that are otherwise sheer enough that you have to wear something under it. Okay, I'm an anomaly and am used to doing that but that must be incredibly annoying to everyone else. When it's hot enough to go around in a tank, wearing another layer underneath is not pleasant.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This makes me madder than a pet peeve, but whatever... This morning when I reached my car in my apartment parking lot, I saw that -- for the second time this month -- some rear end in a top hat had hit my car as it was parked there and scratched the paint, and they didn't leave a note. I don't even care if they leave their contact info, I just want someone to say, "Hey, I accidentally hit your car as I was pulling in. Sorry about that."

The earlier scratch was acquired in the parking lot at work. The car parked to my left scratched the hell out of my car's left side as they pulled out, nearly all down the side of the car, so it's not like the driver didn't notice or anything. :mad: And again, no note of apology. I almost cried when I saw that scratch -- this is the first car I've ever bought new, and I've been taking good care of it inside and out to keep it nice.

Just remembered I saved a picture of the scratch on my work computer. (Notice, btw, that I'm parked far enough away from the left edge of my parking space that you can't see the line in the picture. My car was squarely in the center of the space. That rear end in a top hat had no excuse.)

Related to that, another issue: I took my car to the dealership to get an estimate for fixing the scratch. I was quoted $1600. Later that day, I stopped by my dad's house and he got out some wax and the paint sample I got when I bought the car, and within minutes the side of my car looked as good as new (except for some very mild ripples in the metal of the doors, which you wouldn't even notice if I didn't point them out).

$1600, huh. Was it because the dealer always overestimates/overcharges, was it because I'm a woman, was it because they could tell I hadn't tried to fix it myself and thus must be a clueless moron, who knows? Would they have billed me at that price and been like, "Man, that was a tough job! :laugh:" or would they have been honest and charged me for a few minutes' labor, who knows?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of grocery stores...

This is petty, but this happens fairly often to me and it bugs.

When I put groceries on the conveyor belt, I place them down in separate groups so that certain categories of items will be bagged together. The categories are: Frozen Food, Refrigerator Food, Dry Food, and Everything Else. This is because I live in a 3rd floor apartment and it's a trek carrying my groceries up there from the parking lot, so if I have to make two trips, I want to be able to easily grab the bags with the perishables and leave the rest of the bags of unperishables in the car for later.

So how is it that when I get home and open the trunk to get the groceries, they're all mixed up in different bags? Why is my milk in the bag with the laundry detergent? They weren't anywhere near each other on the belt! Why is there cat food with the fresh vegetables? Why are my popsicles with the paper towels? No no no!

Now I have to spend a few minutes in 90 degree heat separating everything properly and meanwhile my popsicles are melting. :qq:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Disgusting Coward posted:

This actually happened on my first shift as a taxi driver.

Late at night, bunch of youngsters out on the piss. One of them, a young girl, falls asleep in the cab. Her friends pay the taxi, and gently caress off. I stop them, all "Hey what about your friend, here?", they go "Oh gently caress her, just throw her out, she's a pain in the arse anyway" and then run off giggling.

Some friends, huh?

So, unsure as to what to do at 3am with a comatose scantily clad girl - and the police all busy sorting out the weekly 3am riot as the nightclubs discharge - I go into her purse, get her I.D and take her to her house. Which, as it turns out, is a super fancy pseudo-mansion on the outskirts of town. So I'm carrying her along the big fancy rear end gravel path to her house, when the door explodes open and a huge, very angry, very bald man comes barreling out, screaming incoherently about how I should be ashamed of myself and she's half my age, and then punches me in my big stupid face.

For the record, I look kind of like Sasquatch, if Sasquatch was a rapist from the 1970s.

So I drop the slumbering girly girl, stagger back a few steps and put up my fists, determined to prevent further punches from hitting my stupid face, and he advances on me, and then suddenly the door explodes open again and his very small, very feisty wife comes rocketing out and starts haranguing him about how it's obviously a TAXI DRIVER you IDIOT look he has a TAXI and anyway her boyfriend's blonde and shorter why would a kidnapper bring her back here et cetera et cetera and basically henpecks the poor fucker back into the house.

Anyway, she brings me in for a cup of tea and is very grateful at the return of her daughter - turns out she's some kind of wild child who'd fallen in for an older dude who seemed to be trying to wangle in on her folk's money, who had hosed off with her a week before and they'd been worried sick. Anger Dad just assumed the worst. No harm done, I have a resilient face.

This is gold.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hate sneezing, period. I hate it when I have a giant sneeze that makes my chest muscles hurt. I hate it when I have eight tiny sneezes that come out without a breath in between, like machine-gun sneezes. I hate it when I'm talking to someone and have to pause to sneeze. I hate how some people compare orgasms to sneezes, so either they have the world's shittiest orgasms or my sneezes have been disappointing me all this time.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geokinesis posted:

"Boys will be boys!"

I mean in case you missed it David Cameron hosed a dead pig, yet people actually excused it with "we've all done silly things when drunk, like mooning" I think simulating oral sex with a dead pig's head is a loving step up from that.

This and what Spalec said about the Duggars -- frankly, it fucks with my head more than the original abuse or heinous act, because what sort of unspeakably horrible poo poo have all these thousands of supporters done that they think loving a pig or your four sisters is a silly youthful indiscretion? Just how common is it to be that hosed up, anyway? :gonk:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Actually :viggo: it's an octothorpe.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is how my aunt initiates a text conversation with me:

quote:

Rabbit!!!

Like she's yelling my name down the street to get me to come in for dinner, or she's on fire and crying for help. Like a text with just my name and three exclamation marks is more effective at getting me to hear it and respond than just saying whatever it is she wants to say.

It's never an emergency. It's always something trivial or even nice, like, "We're making pizza -- want to come over?" Or "Hey, those apples you like are back in stock at the grocery store." She just wants to put me through the paces of responding to her before she'll actually tell me what's going on.

She also tries to make me the middleman all the goddamn time, for no reason. Like, "text your brother and tell him we'll be late." WTF NO YOU TEXT HIM. YOU HAVE HIS NUMBER. YOU ARE ON SPEAKING TERMS. WHY DON'T YOU DO IT.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I used to shake my head in total disbelief at the "why can't we just eat a pill for sustenance and be done with it" crowd, until I got diagnosed with ADHD and put on medication.

Now, the only meal for which I have an appetite is breakfast (before I take my meds). At lunchtime and dinnertime, I have the peripheral signs of hunger (feeling shaky and irritable, etc), but I don't actually feel like eating anything. I just want the hunger symptoms to go away, not actually....you know....eat food.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I'll ever choose to eat food that hurts, but coming from a family full of people who like it I know from experience you can get used to it and even enjoy food despite the heat, it's just a matter of exposure.

That's exactly how I think of it, too. Spicy hot food has no appeal to me (even when I have an appetite :v:) because it just makes my mouth hurt. I'm talking especially about foods like peppers, like if there's a choice between two delicious sandwiches that are identical except one has sweet peppers and one has hot peppers, of course I'm going for the sweet. I don't taste any flavor difference between the two, except one feels good in my mouth and the other sets it on fire.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
People who take 10 minutes to say something that only requires a sentence or two.

ALLOW ME TO DEMONSTRATE.

I have a temporary supervisor who does this, during every single conversation I have with her. No exaggeration, when she first started working here, she sat in my office for OVER TWO HOURS going over a project I was already doing, very capably all by myself with no input needed, to tell me why I should do this project and how I should be doing exactly what I was doing, because it's important for these reasons, so I definitely should do it, and do it like this, because it's important for these reasons, so I should do it, and do it like this, becaus- :emo:

This just happened this morning --

Yesterday I found some paperwork on [real supervisor's] desk that looked like she might have been in the middle of a vendor negotiation before she left. So I left it in my temporary supervisor's mailbox with a note saying just that. She came in this morning with the paperwork in hand, and she said, "This is just some preliminary pricing the vendor drew up in case we went with them, but we're not going with them because their product is designed for [x need] and we don't have [x need], so I'm just going to throw this paper out."

Okay! Thanks for letting me know, even though it wasn't necessary to tell me anything, just throw out the paper!

But then she kept going. Saying basically the same thing in 30 different variations, always ending with some variation of "I'm going to throw this paper out." On and on and on, "Their product is only good for X, and we don't have X, so I think I'll just throw this paper out, because this problem is only good for X, and we just don't have X, so I think I'll throw this out, because their product in only good for X, and we don't have..."

That went on for 6 minutes (I checked the clock). I had visions of snatching the paper out of her hand, throwing it in the recycling bin right next to her, and yelling, "PROBLEM SOLVED! YEEEAAAAA!!"

And she never lets me get a word in edgewise; she just keeps talking over me. Yesterday, she was going on and on and on and on about how we should do ABC task. I tried twice to interrupt and said [real supervisor] and I did ABC task this past June. Oh no, she keeps talking about why it's important to do ABC, and we should do it, because it's so important, so we should do it, becausesla;lskj f;lkasjd f k si9w4=-%%%

:hurr:

:negative:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Re: four-way stop chat... When I walk to work, I always go a block out of my way to avoid this one busy four-way-stop intersection, because no one stops correctly and no one lets me cross. If I can catch the eye of the driver closest to me in the cross-street, there will be someone in the parallel street wanting to turn into my path, and/or the driver farthest to me in the cross-street will keep driving through the intersection while I'm in the middle of crossing and make me stop in my tracks in the middle of the road.

So I take a left at that intersection and walk one block to the traffic light. Which doesn't have a walk signal and often features drivers almost running me over as they turn the corner while I'm crossing, but at least I don't have to stand at the intersection waiting for the planets to align and all four cars at the intersection to allow me to cross the street.

That reminds me of another problem nearby:

See the red line? That shows cars doing this jackass move that I can't figure out.

Because of the way the lights work on Main St., in rush hour, there is a solid line of cars on each block creeping slowly to the next intersection. There are a lot of fools who drive down Aspen St., come to the intersection at Main, which for them is a right-turn only [side pet peeve: assholes who ignore the right-turn-only sign and turn left], and either:

1) wait and wait and wait for some generous person to let them turn right in front of them, or
2) shove their way out in front of a car driving on S. Main St.

AND THEN, turns out, they want to turn left from Main onto Birch. So then, they block traffic behind them and either:

1) wait and wait and wait for some generous person driving north on Main to let them turn left in front of them, or
2) shove their way out in front of a car driving north on Main

Stupid, inconsiderate, and dangerous. Why in hell don't they instead follow the green line on the map, where they have a traffic light to let them turn on Main going north, and then have no opposition turning right on Birch?? They would have a much easier time, and they wouldn't block traffic or risk causing an accident! There's no traffic congestion on Temple and Maple on this alternate route, it takes the same amount of time (or shorter, if you're lucky and hit the traffic light on green), there's no obstacle or inconvenience that would induce anyone to go the rear end in a top hat route instead of the civilized route, WTF people, WTF.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

im full of poo poo posted:

this, this is my pet peeve

Sorry, dude. :sympathy:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know.... I lived in DC in 2001 and after 9/11, I'd get really annoyed when people from nowheresville carried on about how scared they were thinking about what worthless structure in their town terrorists might target next, like they just had to muscle in on other people's legitimate fear and trauma.

I have no problem with people not personally affected by a tragedy offering gestures of solidarity and support with those who are suffering. Just don't scrape up some flimsy excuse to insert yourself in the tragedy for the attention of your Facebook friends. It's gross.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I should mention, I was living with my best friend in a high rise apartment on 9/11, and she was convinced our apartment building would be the next target, because it would send a message that no one is safe even in their homes. I asked her to explain why our apartment building and not the thousands of others, and she'd splutter some paranoid rambling....

Then, when the anthrax letters were sent to Congress, she wouldn't let our apartment maintenance people change the air filters in our unit, because she was convinced that would lead to us getting anthrax. And I would say, "Okay, so in the case that terrorists decide to target our random apartment building for their next anthrax attack, how does having clean air filters put us at more risk than having dirty ones?" And she'd just plead with me to just go with it, okay???

Fast-forward to 2003 and the DC Sniper is killing people all over the place, and my friend has moved to Indiana while I'm still in DC, I'm living my life as usual and she's sending me daily emails to check in with her to prove that I'm still alive, telling me to get my groceries delivered so I don't have to leave the house. (I guess the poor delivery guys are fair game?)

So, my pet peeve is people who let their psychological issues spill over into other people's lives. Speaking as someone who has had anxiety and depression for 25 years, my motto has always been, "Contain your poo poo." Be as paranoid as you want in your own life, but do your absolute best to keep it from impacting others.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

I like being constantly, slightly cold and I can't understand people who just dial up the heat before, I don't know, putting on a sweater or something. My old roommate would walk around in his boxers and leave his window open and then crank the heat up to about 79, leaving the rest of us to suffer horribly overnight. Put on a shirt, you dolt!

These people need to be rounded up and locked into a sauna for the rest of their lives, leaving the rest of us happy and sweat-free.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This weather is chapping my hide. What the gently caress season are we even in? It was 70 yesterday, and it's 50 and raining like a hurricane now, and it's supposed to turn to snow tomorrow morning, and then 70s again next week. A week or so ago, i checked the five-day forecast, and the highs were 10 degrees apart each consecutive day -- 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I took 3 days off last week for a cold, and let me tell you, it was hard to do that. I was raised by parents who would not let me stay home sick from school unless I was so weak I couldn't get out of bed, otherwise I was being a big baby. That got ingrained in me as the benchmark for whether I was sick enough to stay home from work, and it's hard to shake that feeling of judgement (from...imaginary parents??) when I call out for less than that. And I'm even one of the few people in this workplace who could take a month off and the work wouldn't suffer, since my job is pretty superfluous -- other coworkers have to have their department pick up their slack when they're out, and that can cause resentment.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hate it when people come to me to complain about other people who do nothing but complain, and then don't listen to any of the advice I give them and just keep on complaining. :ironicat:

ESPECIALLY when I've been successfully dealing with the complainers for 6 years, and you've only been here 7 months and have already started burning bridges you can't afford to burn by refusing to work with people you don't like.

Like, I know you don't respect your boss, and she genuinely doesn't know 1/10th of what you know, but SHE IS YOUR BOSS. You have to treat her with respect, at least to her face, you fool! Otherwise, you'll find yourself in the position you are now! People are closing ranks against you because they (rightfully) see you as a poo poo-disturber who doesn't know his place as a new hire, and you may be fired before you've even been here a year.

At the same time, I'm sick of myself for falling into the old dysfunctional family role of the Peacemaker/Ambassador/Soother when coworkers fight, because that is some serious Codependent poo poo on my part and I've got to stop trying to manage other people's emotions for them. If they want to continue to fail to get along, that's their business, not mine.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

I have containers similar to these, no more sad cereal boxes.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/modular-cereal-containers

Doesn't solve my Trader Joes granola boxes problem though. Seriously, what kind of design is this? My cat could have made a better design, he wants easy access to food.

What's up, granola bar buddy? :3: This is what my box looks like:

It's an epidemic.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Batman writers insisting that Alfred is a butler. No he isn't. He's clearly a valet.

I played Trivial Pursuit yesterday and had to answer a question like, "Who was Bertie Wooster's butler?" The answer was naturally Jeeves, but Jeeves was likewise Bertie's valet, not a butler (except in 1-2 stories when Bertie loaned out Jeeves' service to act as a butler, saying something like, "Jeeves could buttle with the best of them").

(And you can bet I was :viggo: as gently caress when I said all that.)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

I hate when I walk up to a 4-way intersection with stop signs and there's a bunch of cars there too and one or more of them try to be helpful and wait for me to cross even though it would be so much goddamn faster if they all just went and let me cross when I can see that it's safest for me to do so.

I really hate when I'm trying to wait one of these assholes out and they honk at me.

Or when one of them is nice and "lets" you cross in front of him (as is your right as a pedestrian :argh:), but the guy on the other side of the road doesn't, or the guy making a turn doesn't, and now you're in the middle of the road playing chicken with a moving car.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tendai posted:

Teachers who don't like kids. If you don't like kids, gently caress off out of the business. There's a big difference between occasionally venting to friends about what a little poo poo so and so is, and calling someone who's proctoring tests for your students and ranting for ten minutes about how one of them is a bastard and the rest of them are garbage.

Actually I may just be downright pissed about this and less of a pet peeve but the point remains that if you don't like students why the gently caress are you teaching.

I work in an academic library with 5 librarians who have faculty status and are tenured or up for tenure, and none of them do any research or scholarship or show any interest in learning new things or show any intellectual interest in ANYTHING, and worse, actively and openly resist doing so, saying it's a waste of time and they don't care. When that's their job. Because they're faculty librarians. Who don't give a poo poo about the things that faculty librarians do. WHY ARE YOU IN THIS FIELD THEN. gently caress.

Meanwhile, I've been a staff person for 8 years and have had my MLIS for 8 years and would kill for their jobs -- and I'm writing an article, pursuing scholarship, attending conferences, leading conference presentations, conducting reference interviews, creating resource guides, etc. -- but I can't get a job as a professional librarian because I "don't have any professional experience". :holy:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, calling them creepy is a hate crime.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: when you are hungry but nothing sounds good. What the gently caress is that feeling called other than FWP personified? No, I don't want pizza, no I don't want snacks or steak or bacon or a salad or anything. Nothing sounds good but your stomach is demanding food.

I have that problem due to some meds I take killing my appetite. I get the secondary feelings of hunger if I go too long without eating -- can't concentrate, feel nauseated, etc. -- but I don't actually feel like eating anything. Sometimes "dinner" ends up being a bowl of cereal or some crackers and baby carrots because that's all I can choke down just to placate my stomach.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for some jewelry on Etsy for the past few days, and it kills me that so many people selling antiques don't bother to spend a few minutes of research before posting their wares. Then they do poo poo like this:

Byzantine AND Victorian AND Art Nouveau AND Art Deco, you don't say??? No, they're earrings made in the 1950s, and the seller has just thrown up a bunch of random artistic periods to get their item included in a bunch of very disparate search results. If I'm looking for, say, genuine Victorian or Victorian-repro earrings, nothing good is going to come of these particular earrings turning up in my results list. I'm going to briefly think those are ugly and you're ignorant, and then move on. (By the way, $420 for those earrings? :allears:)

Art Nouveau and Art Deco are two terms in particular people seem to have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with. You see this all the time:

Look. Words mean things! Get this: Art Nouveau means something, and Art Deco means something else. It's true! Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian...these all mean things, too! loving spend 30 seconds on wikipedia and learn your history before using them to sell your poo poo! These words should not be slapped onto any old (or new!) thing like this, because now you have revealed you don't know the first thing about what you're selling, or art/antiques/history in general. If you don't know what you're selling, how can I trust that I'm getting what I think I'm getting, and your asking price is legit?

Also, learn to spell medieval.

And this is Etsy's fault -- "vintage" on Etsy means from the 1990s or earlier. 1990s should not be considered vintage, WTF. :corsair:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A White Guy posted:

Pet peeve: Anybody who won't stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and tries to beat them by going really fast. Dude, if you hit someone in crosswalk and don't kill them, they are going to own your every earthly possession in trial court. It will be your fault, and you might end up in jail,because you can't wait ten loving seconds for them to cross.

Second pet peeve: I'm taking an Italian class. It's beginner Italian, but I'm already fluent in Spanish, so I'm picking it up really quickly. I speak in Italian to my classmates, they answer me in english. I get not knowing how to respond, but motherfucker, you should know what the word for apple is by now.

I work at a university and can take courses for free, so a few years ago, I took two semesters of intensive Russian. (Class met every day for an hour.) In the first semester, we spent 2 weeks learning to read and write the alphabet, and then moved on to learning the language. There was one girl in the class who, by the end of the semester, STILL could not read the alphabet, couldn't understand spoken Russian, and when the professor called on her in class, she would sit there in silence. The professor would stay silent and wait for a response for what seemed like 30 seconds, and the girl didn't make a sound at any point, didn't even try. (I never turned to look at her because I was too busy dying of second-hand embarrassment, but I'm 99% the girl wasn't sitting there with a big scowl or staying silent in defiance, because she was very sweet and friendly when we worked in groups, and she came to class every day. She just didn't contribute anything, or learn anything, either, apparently.)

So I assumed that she had taken the course for a language credit, had realized she was in over her head past the drop/add period, and had to just stick it out till the end of the semester, when she'd get a failing grade.

OH HO!

The first day of the second semester class, she's there in the room! I say hello to her and something like, "Wow, the first semester was pretty tough," and she says, "Yeah, I know. I was surprised I got a B!"

A B

She couldn't speak or understand a word of Russian and couldn't evEN READ THE ALPHABET AND SHE GOT A B.

That's some bullshit.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My pet peeve is that my dad thinks splitting the bill is too much of an awkward hassle (he gets embarrassed arguing about money) so his solution is to pay the whole bill himself, even when it's his birthday or Father's Day, and we have family members who know this and never even offer to pay, or pay their share, or treat him to the next meal. (I always slip him my share into his pocket when he's not looking.) I know it's his choice to do this, but he's not made of money and it bothers me that a) people take advantage of him, and b) he lets them.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why do I always wake up right before the best part of a dream? Why?

Last night I had this enormous dream that culminated in me standing on a riverbank where Heaven was on the other side. In the dream, I stepped forward to enter the river, and IRL I was lying on my side and rolled forward with the same motion as in my dream, and of course I woke up. :arghfist:

Heaven looked so cool, too -- like Iceland or the Scottish Highlands, very remote and wild rocky terrain covered with vibrant green plant life.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is an old memory that pops up from time to time and irritates me to no purpose:

When I was fresh out of college, I worked at a company where at some point, we all had a one-day retreat on the Myers-Briggs personality theory and how we could use that to work more smoothly with our coworkers. We took the test and got our results, then we had a long session which involved breaking into groups of various letter combinations (like, all the NFs at one table, all the SFs at another, etc.), answering questions about problem scenarios, and then reporting our answers to the whole group so we could all see how different personality types approach the same problem. You would split into groups for different letter combinations for each new question.

So for one question, I was at a table with my boss and a bunch of other upper management people I didn't know. The question was something like, "Say you are a Little League coach and [some problem arises on your team] and you have to choose which child to kick off the team. How would you decide and why?" The table went around and around for the entire time limit, and finally they all agreed on "It's up to the coach's discretion" and were satisfied.

I said (very quietly, maybe because I'm an INFP :v:), "Wait, that's not an answer! That's what the question is asking: what does the 'coach's discretion' entail?" And no one heard or acknowledged me but my boss, who just shrugged. Someone at the table then announced to the group, "We've decided it's up to the coach's discretion," and the retreat leader and everyone else were satisfied.

But that is not a valid answer! That's just restating the question! How do you not see that?!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got this email this morning:

and I was confused. I always pay off my credit cards each month, and I hadn't used that card in over a year. Had I overpaid my last bill (by $750??)? I checked my account and saw, no, that's just my credit limit. Whew.

Except, WTF is this. I don't have $750 available to spend -- I have the opportunity to incur a $750 debt. Almost 40% of Americans have credit card debt and among them the average amount owed is around $16,000, and here's this company actively encouraging its customers to rack up more by sending them a misleading email.

The only other credit card I use is issued by my credit union, so maybe this is a common practice among independent companies that I hadn't encountered before, but at any rate, that's some unethical bullshit.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh for sure, this was really tame and nothing comparable to the really lovely practices banks will pull. I was just kind of incensed at the way the email was trying to reframe a credit limit as money you already have and thus profit off of suckers with poor money management skills. But I get that's how they do their business.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ox posted:

It's Latin!!!

And it's paesano!!!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let me add "people who tell you to do something while you are already doing it, and continue giving you commands anway," and "people who tell you to do something, and then while you are doing it, tell you to do five other things at the same time," and, "people who speak to you only to tell you what to do and to tell you what you've done wrong, and btw, your first fuckup was needing to be told to do the task in question, even if you're in the middle of doing it at the time while they tell you."

Or, my dad.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Khazar-khum posted:

This is a big issue in So California, where our drought is in full swing and not leaving anytime soon. Don't have a green lawn? Either get rocks for your yard or get a $1000/day fine. The fact that we live in the middle of the gotdamned Mojave Desert never seems to occur to people. We're both allergic to grass, so we put in a stone courtyard and an area of gravel. My Dad insisted on having a green lawn, then bitched because his water bill was $400/month.

I wish "attractive rock garden" was an acceptable lawn alternative in all 50 states. Lawns are such PITA wastes of resources.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyway, I don't even work retail and I hate spontaneous invites too. You're just getting home from work, ready to settle in and relax and make dinner or whatever and you get a call asking to come out for drinks, right now. It's not that I don't want to go, it's the principle of the thing - I hate having to drop everything and go do something else. It's annoying and kind of self-centered to wait until you feel like going out and assuming everyone else does too. I mean, at least ask me in the morning at work if 24 hours notice is too hard and stop taking it so personally when people say they don't feel like it that night.

My general, all-encompassing pet peeve is anyone who reminds me of my father's bad side. My father expected me to drop everything and run to him whenever he whistled for me (not a metaphor), and even now that I'm almost 40, I still have a knee-jerk defiant reaction of inwardly saying, "No! t:mad:" whenever someone calls or texts me wanting to do something right now, even if it's something I would enjoy. (It's different if it's in person, because then I'm included in the decision to go.) If someone does this habitually, it gives me the impression that they think that nothing I could be doing is more important than what they want from me, and that is a grain of sand in my oyster which will slowly develop into a pearl of hatred.

:backtowork:

Celery Face posted:

People who hit on you when you're at work. Even if they're attractive, it's just super awkward. Especially if it's a job where you're expected to be super friendly to everyone so you're trying not to accidentally give them any "hints."

This is worse than a pet peeve -- this is legitimately heinous.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

genetic_knockout posted:

Second peeve: people are constantly just walking right into me, and I have no idea why. It's so annoying. Usually it's not even because they are on their phone or anything, they have their heads up but still just like barrel into me. Then they act all offended like it was my fault. I'm right here, you gently caress, occupying space as matter tends to do. Happens all the time and I have no idea why!

This happens to me all the time, too! It's like I have a magnetic core that pulls people into me from across the sidewalk or something. Either that or I am actually a ghost and most people cannot see me. :iiam:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Chinese tourists are the loudest and rudest. They are like Americans from 30 years ago. Flush with cash, arrogant, and with 0 regard for local customs.

I was recently on vacation in Russia on a guided tour, and when we were in Moscow, we were inside the Kremlin coincidentally in time for the weekly Changing of the Guard event. My group and I (mostly Americans) were in the square ahead of schedule enough to find places to stand along the parade route where we were in the front row, and all was fine until we found ourselves literally shoved aside by a large group of Chinese tourists. Just shoved and hipchecked and pushed aside, and the guy behind me kept trying to rest his elbow on my shoulder while he filmed the parade and pushed my head to the side with his arm more than once so he could get a better view. I couldn't believe it.

Here's a bad video I took -- the camera jostling at :28 is from him pushing my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAuBqsbvuwo&t=24s

I just can't understand the mentality of people who would do that. You go to a foreign country with customs not your own, you see a crowd of people standing still and not shoving each other, and you don't give a gently caress and literally shove them aside to stand where they are standing? This is far beyond not picking up that people in Country X speak more quietly than you're used to, or that they think it's rude not to wish someone "bon appetit" before a meal, or whatever. You're getting physically rough with strangers, and you don't notice that everyone is reacting to you with anger? You are an rear end in a top hat. If all 100 of you in your group are doing that, then you're 100 assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

The fact that it would be the other driver's fault still doesn't mean it's a good idea to create a situation with a somewhat higher chance of an accident.

There are only a few things that make me really angry while driving. I'm generally very forgiving because I tend to make a lot of dumb mistakes too (like mistakenly cutting someone off because I didn't notice them or something) and I'm willing to give other drivers the benefit of the doubt. The things that make me angry are the ones that require some conscious decision on the part of the driver and make no sense at all. The aforementioned "people driving 10+ miles below the speed limit" is one of those things. There is almost never an excuse for that, especially if you're on a major street (as opposed to a side street where they might be looking for a house or something). It's just baffling, because I can't think of a reason why someone would do it. At least for something like tailgating I can understand the mindset that makes people do it (being in a rush or something), but I can' t understand what would make someone drive 10-20mph below the speed limit on a major thoroughfare. That's not a "spur of the moment" sort of mistake (like missing the light changing at an intersection) and requires the person to consciously decide "yes, I will drive very slow, this is a good idea."

All this being said, I notice that about 50% of the time the people who drive slow like this are geriatrics who shouldn't be driving in the first place. I'm kind of conflicted on how I feel about those people driving. On one hand they have no business driving and are putting everyone else in danger, but on the other hand many people are forced to drive due to their personal circumstances (no family around, can't afford an assisted living center, no reasonable public transportation). I think most of the time it is just the fact that they don't want to stop driving, though; my late grandpa was like this, and would insist on driving despite clearly not being up to the task.

The only time in my life I've ever gotten screaming mad with anybody was the night I was driving home on back roads from the grocery store and I got stuck behind a car that was going 18 miles an hour in 45 zone. I know exactly what they would have given as their excuse -- that they were uncomfortable driving on winding back roads with no streetlights any faster than that :kiddo: -- but motherfucker if you are that uncomfortable you need to stop driving until you get your poo poo together or die.

Like, they were braking while going up hills. What kind of fuckery.