Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Serge Painsbourg posted:

People who park on the street despite having driveways. It's always a chain of parked cars, especially down a narrow street. Why don't you use the driveway next to your goddamn house so more than one car can fit on the street?
One of our dumbfuck neighbors has had two large vehicles parked on the road right up to the edge of our driveway, well onto our property, for months now. They literally have not moved, not even after we got a foot of snow (more at the foot of our driveway when the plows had to maneuver around the vehicles). The law clearly specifies a 48-hour limit on street-parked cars, but the abandoned-vehicle division of the local PD just shrugs at my complaints. Another of their vehicles is parked across from our driveway, although it disappears overnight when its driver takes it to work. They have a two-car garage and a two-car driveway. It's real fun trying to drive down our street (especially if someone is happening to drive from the other direction at the same time), much less get into or out of our own driveway.

Our other dumbfuck neighbors have a two-car garage and still park their loving cars on their driveway. People would kill for garages in this weather/climate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Probably because their garage is so crammed with junk that they can't fit their cars in there. That always kills me: $1,000 worth of useless junk crammed in the garage, and a $40,000 SUV/luxury car sitting outside in the elements.
It's not! That's the extra-infuriating thing! The garage has a few things in it, but it's definitely not stuffed to the gills, and when they open the side door to let their (barky) dog out, all I see in there is an expanse of concrete floor.

In an ironic twist, our garage-door opener froze up on us yesterday, so now our car is in our driveway, too. :( poo poo's getting fixed tout de suite.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I know this is the peeve thread and they're often not rational at all, but why do any of you give a poo poo what a person does with their garage/driveway?
Just generally making GBS threads up the neighborhood. Two cars in every driveway plus cars lining both sides of the road make the place look like a dump.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Does your city not have a by-law office? My dad got his car ticketed two days in a row because he hadn't moved his car off of the street (24h max parking), and all because someone called.

He also had to get rid of another car that we didn't drive a year or two before that because an unknown neighbour called the by-law office.
I have been That Neighbor. A couple years back, when I was tired of the truck perpetually parked across the street from the same van (belonging to a different neighbor, or more precisely to his basement-dwelling dullard son), I called the Abandoned Vehicles Desk of the police department, the people responsible for this kind of violation per our township ordinances. Every week I'd call and leave a voicemail, until one day the dude picked up.

He said, "Look, we ran the plates, and it's registered to that address, so :shrug:." I argued that it didn't matter who owned the thing: it was illegally parked, period. He said people park on the street and go on vacations and stuff, and oh well. "What if you parked your car on the street and left for a week's vacation?" he asked. "I'd expect my car to have been towed when I got back, because it's illegal to park on the street for more than 48 hours." Motherfucker, those are the rules. Enforcing them is your job.

I didn't get anywhere else with him apart from an impressively Gallic combination of :geno: and :shrug:, and him insisting there was leeway and we should instead focus on being "neighborly". So I wrote a snail-mail letter to his boss, the chief of police. Within a week, the truck had that telltale neon sticker on the driver's side window; it was moved before it got towed.

But then here we are, two years later to the month, and both that truck and this van (along with two other vehicles that, while inconveniently parked, do at least move around a little bit) are still on this loving street, and why should I bother calling when I know poo poo ain't gonna get done?

I'm going to send my husband next door to talk about the van. They're otherwise fine neighbors, and they've come to us asking for us to please not use our side garage light because it shines right into their window, or to please trim up the pine bordering their property because it pokes 'em in the eye when they mow the lawn. And we've fixed the situation right away. So there's hope.

- - -

Another vaguely related pet peeve: People who stop at a red light a full car-length behind the car in front of them. WHY. :psyduck: If I still had my zippy little Corolla, I swear to Christ I'd pull into that gap. Is this just a metro Detroit thing? So many poo poo drivers here, but this behavior seems pretty loving weird on top of the usual bad driving.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I think the answer is almost always that they're old, depth perception is hosed. Or alternatively they're a stupid loving idiot. Or both.
It's usually young people and soccer-mom types. I suspect they see the light is red, stop, think, "Okay, I'm stopped safely now,” and whip out their phones till the light turns green.

eta: One reason I've seen online had something to do with leaving space to escape a carjacking? And another about not hitting the car in front of you if you're rear-ended? JFC, I can't live my life worrying about that poo poo every time I drive anywhere.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Jan 27, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coolspaz posted:

Where I live some left turn lights have the actual sensor for the advance green 2-3 car lengths behind the line. If this is the case it makes sense, otherwise, :shrug:
These jerks are very rarely in the left turn lane. (Our sensors are positioned so that if you're pulled up into the intersection and waiting to turn, the sensors won't see you and the light won't turn green; you should stay at the stop line unless there's someone in the turn lane behind you to trigger the light.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

One of the games I play on Steam reliably gets glitched graphics after playing for a few minutes. Ctrl-Alt-Del + Cancel fixes it. That's about the only thing I like about the extra step to the ol' three-fingered salute.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Or does it actually have to be a person you know in order for it to be cathartic?
I don't know, I find this thread pretty cathartic. :shobon:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

that's an impressive paint job

that either cost a pretty penny, or is more likely a Photoshop
The outlet- and switchplates on the tiled portions of my parents' kitchen walls are painted like this, too. It can be done (and is).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

C'mon, if she were spying, she'd know how the kid was doing in ROTC.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was a mess on my morning flight after Election Day '16, but thankfully instead of asking if I was okay, the flight attendant just handed me two minibottles of gin with my tonic.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Pet peeve: People who don't know basic traffic rules.

A funeral procession has the right of way. You don't pull over for a funeral.

When an ambulance or a school bus with flashing lights is on the OTHER SIDE of a DIVIDED HIGHWAY, you don't have to pull over.
And you don't stop for a school bus when its yellow lights are flashing. Stop for red. What, you stop for yellow traffic lights, too?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It took me two hours to get to a place to save my game in Nier: Automata because my lovely graphics card made everything move that slowly. No refund for me. :mad: I had to upgrade my graphics card, then my PSU to something very very specific so my Dell wouldn't just shrug when I pushed the power button. Most expensive game I ever bought. (I'm enjoying it now, though.)

My expo-related pet peeve: Opening registration without announcing topics or even speakers for an annual industry conference. I'm not going to pay big bucks and fly halfway around the world for the drat thing if I don't know what the hell any of the two days of sessions are going to be about!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I agree that two hours seems pretty strict (and is probably only in place because some indy games can be completely beaten in two hours and they would suffer if people were allowed to just beat and return them), but do you need to save the game if you were going to return it? 2 hours seems long enough to notice that the game isn't actually going to run well enough to play.
I was hopeful. :( I didn't realize it was two hours until I quit to the Steam dashboard.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can we add a clause for those ending their sentences/long drawn-out stories with "soooooo...yeah"?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Midig posted:

Also, if you speak two languages and you use your second language on a regular basis, you might find situations where you remember the word in the secondary language, but not the one in your mother language. Annoying as gently caress and really embarrassing to admit.
Or when you know a handful of words in yet another language, but when you're called upon to use them, you default to your secondary language instead. I held the door open for someone in Italy who said "Grazie," and though I know enough Italian to say "prego" in reply, I still went straight to Japanese with "iie" (and felt like an idiot).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

And they can't be any of your seven previous passwords, can't contain the numbers to your birthdate, any letters from your name, but must be at least 13 characters, no repeats, six additional numbers that are prime, and a special character (that's only available on a Japanese keyboard).
I especially enjoy using up my three chances at guessing a given site's password, giving up and requesting a link to make a new one, and only then finding out that the passwords on this site must include numbers and capitalized letters and special characters. Well, poo poo! Tell me that in the first place and I'll know which ones to try!

This is less of a problem now that Google is holding onto my passwords, for better or for worse. Sometimes I use a random string generator to produce a bunch of garbage as a password, if I know I'll likely never need to enter it manually.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Beer cunts can git tae gently caress. Especially American beer cunts.
Holy poo poo, how have you not murdered that man yet? :psyduck:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's odd; I've never had anyone look at me funny for wearing a wristwatch when they're about to take my blood pressure. :iiam: How tight do you wear it? Is your hand purple?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i feel like it should be illegal to run fog lights on a car when there's no loving fog
It might be, in some areas. I was just reading an Augusten Burroughs book where he gets pulled over for speeding and gets an extra fine for running fog lights when it's not foggy (but the roads were icy).

i'd also like to have a giant hood decal made that says, in huge script, "SIGNAL, THEN BRAKE"
gently caress yes. If only these drivers gave a poo poo about anyone else on the road--they might actually notice the decal!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

docbeard posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who grew up in the 80s for whom Star Wars was just some fun movies that I enjoyed but have no real emotional investment in, and not a way of life.
I grew up in the '80s and have neither seen nor wanted to see any Star Wars film.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I know stores aren't keen on you using your own reusable shopping bags to do your actual shopping (i.e., to hold unpaid merchandise), presumably because it's easier to "accidentally" leave something in the bag when you unload at checkout.

Related peeve: Yes, there are a few self-checkout lines labeled "no limit". Please do not wheel two overflowing carts into any of these lines.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fox just canceled Brooklyn Nine-Nine. A bunch of fans said HEY WHAT WAS THAT FOR and NBC said Okay, okay, we'll pick it up. Like, over the course of a day or two, max.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Local news in particular is such poo poo. Don't forget the stories about the kitty rescued from that big tree at the corner of Lancaster and McCormick or the interview with a local woman who, a decade back, honeymooned very near to Mt. Kilauea.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son never liked dinosaurs; he prefers Hello Kitty. He's almost twelve and the most confident and self-assured person I know. I think it helps if you have supportive family and friends who don't try to snatch your kid's preferred toy away in favor of something more "appropriate".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do patients not got free water? Are you posting from a dystopian corporate future?
LOL if you think patients get any loving thing for free in a hospital, at least in the US. :911:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mouse Dresser posted:

Overheard this annoyance the other day, a security guard to a father with his child:

“Haha oh you’re stuck babysitting today, huh?”

No, the father is taking his kid to the store. Why do people think it’s so strange for a dad to have an outing with his kid? Aren’t fathers parents, too? Also, how lovely to assume that the mother has to do all the parenting.
Apparently childcare is so evenly handled in Sweden that American visitors are often amazed by all the male babysitters (= fathers) they see out and about with their charges (= sons and daughters). :doh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Reminds me of a grade I got on a paper I wrote in college:

"This was a very well-written paper. You have demonstrated your in-depth understanding of relational databases and your research skills."
Grade: A-
Also fun was the teacher in high school who marked up my AP American History paper in all kinds of red ink with my grade on the last page: A. On a different paper, she wrote only one thing in red--a name--then proceeded to give me a C. EXPLAIN YOURSELF

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

burial posted:

I’ll say “there are X in the box. Please save one for me; I don’t want it yet but I know I’m going to.” A day, maybe two passes. I note the package is still in there and think “oh yay, they listened!” and go to have whatever it is. Empty box.
Do they leave the empty box there, too? Holy poo poo. :sever:

My son will store snack bags and those theater-style boxes of candy in an appropriate place when he's done snacking, but they only have one or two pieces left in them. I think he's saving them for us, but if so, offer them to us before you put back the almost-empty box, you weirdo!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

my peeve is not having a period. i wanna know i'm not pregnant!!
:agreed:, and this is speaking as a woman who's on her third Mirena in ten (?) years and has yet to experience the very common side effect of no periods, much to the consternation of my OB/GYN and assorted other medical folks. My wymynhood cannot be tamed :black101: but really I'm glad to be absolutly sure my (99.9-percent foolproof) birth control is working.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've read old-timey books and when they describe Poirot having "mustaches" I don't know what to picture.
Maybe this?

Well, you will now! :buddy:

(sorry)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You can still hide sources, they just made it so the button is invisible until you hover over the source name. Gotta have as much pointless, empty whitespace as possible!
So many stories just come in with the topic "Trending" and other vague headings, so you can't say "Don't show me any more stories about [Trending Thing You Don't Care About]," but only "Don't show me any more stories from [Otherwise Useful Source]," because that's where the useless article happens to be. I don't want to block the source entirely!

While we're on the subject, I really wish they hadn't gotten rid of "swipe to hide". Why should I have to tap a menu and then tap "Hide this article" on my phone in TYOOL 2018?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This has probably come up before, but in the same vein as people who rate a recipe based on how it came out (good or bad) after the insane number of changes they made to it: people who give a product one star on Amazon because of a fault in shipping or another factor having nothing to do with the product. All these four- and five-star ratings, then a one-star review saying "box was beat up" or, my personal favorite, "came too late to be the birthday gift it was supposed to be". Clearly that means the product is faulty and I shouldn't spend my money on it.

I was in the market for a waterproof beanbag cover for my poor sweet old doggy. You would not believe the number of one-star reviews given on the basis of the product being an empty cover--no filling included. (Which to me is the usual way of buying a beanbag unless it's full of that flashy new extrafine stuff.) Oh, how they bitched about all the beans they had to buy to fill it. So expensive, those beans! (No one was putting two and two together about the price of this cover and the price of the filling, and how it would be tough to pull off a full beanbag at this price.) Never mind that the product names and descriptions all made clear that you were buying the outside only. I can give some of these reviewers the benefit of the doubt if the descriptions had been updated to include that info, but that's a generous stretch. And that doesn't help explain the one-star review that said, "It says at the very bottom of the description that it's only the cover and no beans. I didn't see it before I made my purchase." Again, it's the product's fault. ONE STAR

(I wound up buying one with four reviews, all one-star. It's great, and my dog likes it, too.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

This applies even more to Windows updates. If you're going to interrupt me with this oh-so-important update that needas to reboot my computer, at least tell me what the gently caress it is.
And don't gently caress up my sharing settings while you're at it. Our Windows 10 machine rebooted with updates last week, and afterward I couldn't access its shared directories. It literally worked on Tuesday and didn't work on Wednesday. :mad: I think this has something to do with why Chrome Remote Desktop also suddenly stopped working/got extremely flaky.

(Adding insult to injury, the permissions were set correctly...in one of the several sharing permissions dialogs. I had to dig down and click some non-intuitively-named button to get to the real permissions setting that actually did anything (and they were indeed set such that they blocked my access).)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Two of the shows in a recent TV series are not available on demand, for whatever stupid reason. I have to use the network's site or app to watch them. I try their site first and get, I don't know, a dozen little ads before I can even watch the drat thing. Each ad stops when it's done, so I have to click it to make it advance to the next. If I move to another tab while an ad is playing, the ad stops, and I have to click it to get it to start up again. (I thwarted this by opening the video player page in its own window; I can do other poo poo in the other window while the ads play.) Somewhere in the click-to-resume process I seem to have clicked on the invisible video progress bar, so when the ads finally stop, I'm in the middle of the show. I click back to the beginning of the show and...the ads begin again.

After I finally manage to see some of the show, the same poo poo happens again at the midway point. Ads ads ads, with no end in sight. Some just straight-up do not play, and clicking on them only sends me to the product site. Once I got one of those "play an interactive ad for 30 seconds or watch a bunch of ads" thing, but after clicking the "Watch your show" link once the 30 seconds were up, I got another clump of regular ads. This is when I gave up. I eventually signed up for a profile so the site would remember my video progress (password: pieceofshit), after which it happily punted me back to the beginning of the video. :wtc:

What the gently caress? I had to sign in with my cable provider to get any sort of access to these videos, so they know I already pay to be able to see this poo poo. The ads are more reasonable in the app, and absent in the on-demand version.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I had a pocket WiFi thing with me on my trip to Japan last month, and was warned when I booked it that it didn't allow video- or voice chat (kind of sucked, since that's a big part of why I used it; there had been no such warning this time last year). I tried anyway, just for shits and grins: I could see and hear the people I was calling, and they could see me. Couldn't hear me, though. Turn off video and I could still hear them, but they couldn't hear me. Why not default to voice only? If you're trying to keep me from gobbling through data, allowing two-way live video--but only one-way audio--isn't the way to do it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This song is for you:

https://youtu.be/kEvIfv7EdXs

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when people totally miss something really obvious that by now they surely should have heard of. I was watching a video from Soft Kore and he has obviously never heard of the three monkeys, because he described them as they were posed. How do you exist and not hear of "See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil."? It's not even required to be watching something couched in eastern mysticism, monkey themed stories reference it too. It's referenced everywhere. I'm probably just bring a gatekeeper though.
poo poo, my grandma (born in 1921) had a little stone tchotchke of the three monkeys. I grew up knowing about them long before I learned about their Japanese origins.

My latest peeve: People who don't know how to Google in TYOOL 2018. Someone in another thread asked about a particular image that included such-and-so text and can you help me find it, I've been looking for an hour with no luck! I put the text into Google and find the image at the very first link (of two, the second of which was a dupe of the first). How could you be searching for an hour and not find it? :psyduck:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

For some reason youtube seems to have taken away theater view mode and leaves me with the little square or full screen only. It's such a dumb thing but it's a trend. Stop fixing things that aren't broken, you just break them more.
I've been getting that recently, too, and it seems to only hold true for the first video I view that day (?). After that I can hit Theater Mode and it starts acting normal. :iiam: (but also irritating)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've called the police on someone for leaving their dog shut up in the car in sky-high summer temps. That's just abuse.